April 25, 2024, 02:36:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al Gore and the Dixie Chicks post by MisGivings  (Read 6089 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 07:20:56 PM »

Sam wrote: It seems I can no longer put my feelings out there in the way I would like. These are just my opinions. No links or news articles to support these opinions, just a long time living.

Sam, I understand completely. I used to have this in my sig line: No links, no proof, just my opinion.

Louise

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »

Quote from: "crazybabyborg"
Some of the discussion here touches on one of my soapboxes ( I have several ). This one is celebrities and politics.
I place celebrities on the same level of responsibility with their fans as teachers have with their students and therapists have with their patients. It's not an exact analogy, but there are paralells. My point is that celebrities have at their disposal, a platform that is their's because of a particular popularity related to acting, singing, ability: even good looks. The audience that clamors to gather at their "stage" is directly due to their particular attribute, and media is there as well because of the interest.

Just as a teacher has a captive audience and weilds influence because of the more powerful position he/she has when interacting with students, so does the celebrity with the worldly standards of power so evident: money, fame, talent, news worthiness that they possess.

If a celebrity, or a teacher imparts influential subject matter outside of the reason for their elevated position of power, then it is abuse of that position, IMO. I don't believe a personal political persuasion is appropriate in the classroom, nor do I believe a celebrity's personal political persuasion is appropriate when it is elevated to be newsworthy.

I believe we ALL should have information based opinions on our government and policies of our country and that our votes should reflect our informed opinions and choices. BUT, your and my opinion are equally qualified and equally weighted. A celebrity's opinion shouted from a stage that reaches thousands of ears and is bolstered by obvious success, beauty, and power is often less informed, less biased, and commonly an attempt to be "chic" and accepted in a smug, exclusive community. Simply, it has undeserved influence and is irresponsibly given.

The qualifications to wield that sort of political influence should be restricted to those involved in the political process. When it comes to politics, a celebrity should have no more audience than you or I. On that topic, we are on the same information and passion level and I would suggest that the world we navigate is far more "real" than a millionaire's life who is hounded for autographs whenever he/she sets foot from a mansion.

Our perspective of how our government serves us best is probably more clear when giving a third of our paychecks to taxes, affording healthcare, struggling with lame public school systems for our kids. Those are a daily concern rather than keeping a Spa Date. Fear lives a little closer to us in the real world, and terrorist threats seem more plausible when we don't have personal security guards. We have no idea how long a period of grieving is "fashionable", but many of us still fight back tears when we see reruns of those towers crashing down or hear a replay of the calls that came in from flight 93.

The numeric size and relationship of folks we discuss our political opinions with, should be equal to Barbra's, Susan's, Linda's, Michael's and Jane's because we are at least as qualified to give it. I'll buy a ticket and applaud their talent with my entertainment dollar, but I'm not giving up my ear to hear the socially handicapped tell me how to vote. They should be listening to you and me in the same venues open to us all.

Wow Crazybabyborg, you were able to put into words what I would have like to have said. Your post was perfect. Thank you.

Just a swinging with the tribe
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.