April 18, 2024, 05:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #10 1/5/11 - 9/17/11  (Read 264183 times)
starwynn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »

Okay, I bit the bullet and downloaded IMVU.  I know nothing about computers and I have a 3yo Dell and I registered but haven't connected yet.  I have to go to work.  My system can only play PC games and Norton said IMVU was safe if anyone was worried.  I don't know how to navigate any of this stuff so I will have to wait till tonight and have my young one show me.  Don't worry, anything hinky shows up I will quickly ESC and erase! lol
He's a good kid and doesn't like to do wrong.  He's amazing and would make any Mom proud!  I'm only going to get him to show me how to navigate, not play! I do check behind him on the puter to see where he has been and not ONE time has he EVER been somewhere I would consider not child safe.  Dad and I are so, so proud!  Are there any Monkeys willing to go there to meet up with me.  I'm afraid if one doesn't go with me that I won't get very far!  Prolly not a bad thing!

I would do it if you want, if you mean meeting you on IMVU.  I have to say that I'd like to see what the atmosphere is, although I suspect I already know.  But I am wondering if (like WoW) it's sometimes portrayed as all bad, all people hooking up and killing their stepchildren (remember that case in Houston), or if like my experience there are actually a good number of just nice grown ups on there that play and aren't interested in (bad) monkey business.

Not that monkeys are bad.  (grin)

I'll go download it and then we'll figure out how to find one another. 
starwynn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »

Thank-you, so many people play all types of those virtual games, and I really don't think much about it. I suppose with everything, movies, TV shows, music, books if you are off balanced to begin with it probably wouldn't take that much to cross over into the non reality.

I play video games, World of Warcraft actually (probably should be game, not games).  I can say, sadly, that there are a lot of people on the games who you can tell are there because they are unable or unwilling to have normal social relationships.  For examples, people say inappropriate things (sometimes innocently), are overcompensating for in-real-life issues, don't know how to relate to people, have mean streaks (very very very often - and I mean want to hurt people personally and get off to that).

To be fair, there are also other people, who like me, prefer to pay 15 dollars for a month's worth of entertainment that doesn't involve driving out where traffic is dangerous (Houston is bad), or risking late night driving particularly when there are a lot of drunks (again, Houston is bad), or have family and want to stick close to home, just like a little escape but know the difference between the game world and real world, etc.  I just like that I can jump and run a heck of a lot more gracefully than I ever can in real life!  LOL  The art is pretty, I get pets, etc, and I try to make a point to be kind to people.    Others use it to use other people, and because they can be someone they like a lot more in the game than they like themselves in real life.  I have seen people like this get really immersed in the game, to the point where they don't really seem to be able to remember that..... it's a game.  Yes, a game filled with real people behind the screens, and the golden rule applies - but still a game.  When the computer shuts off, you're still stuck with yourself, and your conscience.

Unfortunately when talk happens about some of the more seedy aspects of the game, I can too easily see how that happens because I've seen it in game time.  I just try to associate with people more like me who are homebodies or family people.

Also unfortunately, I think some people get a sick kick out of some aspects of role-playing, and I don't think they WANT to differentiate between a game and real life; that might be what happened here.  Or maybe they didn't like it, but dang - they still did it, and how horrible is that????
starwynn, thank-you and I certainly see nothing wrong with playing games on the computer. Matter of fact my son in law worked for a company, and they would answer and help people playing some of these games. Don't ask what games  LOL  when he would explain it, went over my head. I personally don't play them, because I'm terrible at games even board games.

OH yeah, there are good and bad apples in every apple barrel.  Unfortunately, online fantasy game barrels play to the imagination, and that's where I think things go wrong with the type of people who would let things go wrong.  Or young people if they're not pretty mature.  Or apparently old horrible gothmonsters who can't stop hooking up with people.  I bet she loved it - no one could see her, she could lie her head off, and really no one wanted to hear that she was a nasty ol' gothmonster so lying was ok because the other people were probably doing it too.  Sad
starwynn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »

About IMVU, I found this website.  It's interesting that it says that there are some violent images in portions.  I guess it's no surprise.  It's definitely NOT being recommended that parents allow their kids to go there by most educator reviews for websites.  Then again, Elisa and her motley crew were (technically) adults.  So...

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/website-reviews/imvu
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »

About IMVU, I found this website.  It's interesting that it says that there are some violent images in portions.  I guess it's no surprise.  It's definitely NOT being recommended that parents allow their kids to go there by most educator reviews for websites.  Then again, Elisa and her motley crew were (technically) adults.  So...

I have to say I'm curious about a virtual chainsaw massacre game.  You have to wonder with that and other games who comes up with those ideas. And like anything, if you are a balanced person and realize you are just playing a game great, it is the ones that take it too another level that is frightening. I would imagine for the most part people playing these games wouldn't dream of actually committing a crime.
starwynn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »

I have to say I'm curious about a virtual chainsaw massacre game.  You have to wonder with that and other games who comes up with those ideas. And like anything, if you are a balanced person and realize you are just playing a game great, it is the ones that take it too another level that is frightening. I would imagine for the most part people playing these games wouldn't dream of actually committing a crime.

Ugh, I have to say so far that all the avatars available uncustomized to start are very very....skanky, to put it mildly.  I chose one because I like her hair, but she has to get new clothes pronto or I might die of a draft.  I am getting a stronger feeling from that, and the introduction page, why alot of people go to this game. Sad
Curly
Monkey Junky

« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »

When there's a "Kill the Baker's game", count me in.

OMGWTF

"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice no matter who it's for or against."
                             Malcolm X
starwynn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »

LOL  Curly, you always come up with the good zingers!!  Smile

OK, Starwynne is now online and ready to add friends.  She also had her highly exposed skin covered up, so maybe there's hope for the thing yet.

You know, at first I was balky at the idea that anyone could get a kick out of the aftermath.  I don't think Adam did.  But now I'm not so sure about Elisa or possibly Aaron, if he was too warped to get away from the woman while he could.  I suppose someone who wanted out of a miserable life badly enough, as Elisa admittedly did, could get really wrapped up in this and lose what little of herself was left.  A chainsaw game.  I think I would only go there (or to this site for that matter even after first glimpse) for the Monkeys, to say what it's like because I'm pretty sure we've all wondered what the heck that was about.  But not on my o wn.  I think dabbling with bad thoughts and ways of thinking make it easier to open the door for those thoughts and habits to stick.
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »

Monkey Devil!

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »

Monkey Devil!

Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »

Wasn't Sept. 24th the day that the woman at the furniture place saw Zahra? If it was, how could she have died that night from natural causes?

I am pretty sure the furniture store siting was on Sept 25. I questioned that the night the warrants came out. I guess one or the other is not true.

ITA..I thought that she was seen in the furniture store on or near that date.

Also the whole we couldn't take her to a doctor or for medical help because they were in the country illegally doesn't fly with me either.  Why...because she was in school until the end of the school year this past year, she got hearing aids and that was a big published deal..all of this long after their 6 month tourist visas would have expired.

I think that she was being physically and sexually abused by these monsters..and she died from that..which offerred them their chainsaw massacre play.

What sick peices of crap..they belong to the devil now..they need the needle as of yesterday..wait ..is ole Sparky still available?

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »

CURLY you are too funny!

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Desdemona
Monkey Junky

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »

http://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=833465

"Female Chainsaw Hand" is an IMVU product you can purchase for 939 credits.

The chainsaw hand is called "The Dismemberator."

"Are those darn Zombie hordes gett'n you down? Well put those undead sod's back in their place with the Chainsaw Hand. This handy device will replace your soft, squishy, flesh and blood hand with a carbon steel and plastic undead killing machine, ready to rend necrofied flesh at a moment's notice."

I come here for the children, not to stroke someone's ego.  --Darla, 12/14/09
Desdemona
Monkey Junky

« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »

"Small Pink Bedroom" on the IMVU Products site.

http://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=2494516

Looks like Zahra's room.

Also:

"Black Fireplace" (One of many)
http://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=5573632

"Live Love Laugh Club" ("Try before you buy, no refunds.")
http://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=7372529

"Waterbed" 
http://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=3261818

slowsouthernrain
Scared Monkey

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »

Looks like Zahra's room.

Also:

"Waterbed" 

Now this is just TOO FREAKY after seeing the pics from inside their house...Good Lord I am stunned
Desdemona
Monkey Junky

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »

Me too.

I searched "IMVU" and "Dismember" and found that the IMVU Role Players are none to happy with the ill will which this case has apparently generated towards them and their site.

(Discussion thread at IMVU:)

http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic.php&t=359648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Desdemona
Monkey Junky

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »

And a message to the IMVU community from their CEO:

http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic.php&p=8782836#8782836

Text of message is as follows.

-------

(Posted by) varsha
IMVU Staff Member IMVU Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
Here is an official statement from CaryJay - IMVU's CEO related to this topic:

"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and our hearts go out to Zahra Baker’s loved ones.

Online safety within IMVU is a top priority, with an officer of the company overseeing and managing safety concerns. When IMVU was first contacted by the police authorities regarding this case, we gave them our immediate and complete cooperation. In response to a subpoena, IMVU shared all the relevant information available. We continue to standby, available to assist authorities in this investigation.

Out of respect for the ongoing police investigation, we cannot comment further on this case."

- Cary Rosenzweig, CEO of IMVU, Inc.

(Apologies if this has already been posted in Zahra's thread.)

Desdemona
Monkey Junky

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »

And also, found one IMVU member's avatar page containing "dismemberment" material.

http://avatars.imvu.com/g3nn3vi3

If you search the page itself  for the word "Dismember," there are several instances, all from a text with chapters (from a book?) about how to kill the undead.

No idea who this member is, but the subject matter is chilling anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------

THE VAMPIRE
HIS KITH AND KIN
by Montague Summers
London, K. Paul Trench, Trubner [1928]

[..]

The only way to prevent the increase of these dangerous spirit folk is by depriving the body of its limbs, a precaution which must be taken immediately after death. So it is customary to sever the arms and legs from the trunk and to cut the tongue out of the mouth, in order that the spirit may have no power either of movement or of speech, since the mutilation of the corpse has rendered a ghost, who would

{p. 12}

assuredly be both powerful and truculent, inoperative and incapable.[11] It will later be seen that the mutilation, the cutting off of the head, and especially the driving of a stake through the body with other dismemberments, were resorted to as the most effective means, short of complete cremation, of dealing with a vampire[...]

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2011, 12:26:16 AM »

Looks like Zahra's room.

Also:

"Waterbed" 

Images from the site that Desi posted:

"Small Pink Bedroom"

"Black Fireplace"

"Waterbed"

I agree, many similarities, Desi.

starwynn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2011, 01:28:31 AM »

http://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=833465

"Female Chainsaw Hand" is an IMVU product you can purchase for 939 credits.

The chainsaw hand is called "The Dismemberator."

"Are those darn Zombie hordes gett'n you down? Well put those undead sod's back in their place with the Chainsaw Hand. This handy device will replace your soft, squishy, flesh and blood hand with a carbon steel and plastic undead killing machine, ready to rend necrofied flesh at a moment's notice."

Yeah, I went there and looked around.  The whole place was just creepy.  My boyfriend watched as I set up Starwynne (who did have remarkably cute hair), and then just creepy people talk to you.  In creepy rooms.  It's unreal.  The first guy I talked to kissed me and then slugged me.  I thought "wow!"

It's just real enough to get lost in it, and I think that's the problem.  I'm going right now to delete my account.

BF's opinion of the site was, first, "no way am I going on that ", and he said that he felt it encourages predators.  He said it seems like a place for doing things you wouldn't dare do in real life.  When I asked him "healthy things?" he looked at me like I was crazy, and said "No! Unhealthy!"  I have to agree.  He thinks it would be easy for behavior in extremes to be encouraged there, and I do, too. 

The account will be deleted.  IMhumble and non professional opinion, I could see a link for the site, what they did, and what they did the next 2 days.  Sad   Being a "gamer", I never ever ever would have thought that before.  Of course, it's not the game - it's the people.  But I think this game sure doesn't encourage healthy relationships or ways of thinking.
Wildingheart
Scared Monkey

« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2011, 05:17:22 AM »

I joined IMVU shortly after Zahra's death because I was curious. I haven't chatted in years and don't even have any IM program on my computer.

That is one creepy entity, IMVU. I've been there for months and have still not chatted. I've gone into a chat room maybe 3 times but always bail out shortly after going in. I've received like 900 friend's requests but never accept them and someone is always sending me a private chat request but I don't respond.

What I have gotten caught up is designing rooms and I've spent several hundred dollars buying credits so I can buy furniture. I love designing anything and it's really cool the way you can shop and decorate your room.

I buy a basic room and stuff it with furniture (antiques). Nobody has ever been in one of my rooms, I just make them and go on to the next one. The whole room scenario reminds me of Colorforms from childhood.

During my shopping sprees I have seen some really freaky stuff for sale, as well as rooms. Bondage, vampires, beastiality, etc.

I'm Soularstar on IMVU, btw. Soul with a u. I've never played any sort of computer games or online ones, or poker but I suppose the designing thing is a game of sorts, for me.

From what I have seen, just by sitting alone and shopping, there is no way I would ever have a relationship (of any kind) with anyone that participates in that site. And I can't even fathom becoming romantically involved.

The few times I've been in a chat room I don't stay but a second. And all the rooms are freaky crap. I've actually searched for a room with a decent theme and there isn't any. I finally stopped looking a few days after joining.

I've had friend that were gamers and they were intelligent, respectable people and I have nothing against games. IMVU is a scary thing though. It seems to me like the cesspool of the net.

My Blog: http://moonsmuse.blogspot.com/

"If we don't stand up for children, then we don't stand for much." ~Marian Wright Edelman.

"I'd rather sit alone on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion." ~Henry David Thoreau.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.