March 28, 2024, 07:09:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Big Polluters Freed from Environmental Oversight by Stimulus"  (Read 1368 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 30, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »

Big Polluters Freed from Environmental Oversight by Stimulus

In the name of job creation and clean energy, the Obama administration has doled out billions of dollars in stimulus money to some of the nation’s biggest polluters and granted them sweeping exemptions from the most basic form of environmental oversight, a Center for Public Integrity investigation has found.

The administration has awarded more than 179,000 “categorical exclusions” to stimulus projects funded by federal agencies, freeing those projects from review under the National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA. Coal-burning utilities like Westar Energy and Duke Energy, chemical manufacturer DuPont, and ethanol maker Didion Milling are among the firms with histories of serious environmental violations that have won blanket NEPA exemptions.

Administration Created Exemptions After Congress Rejected Idea

The idea of granting blanket NEPA exemptions for stimulus recipients was first raised in Congress when the law was being crafted in early 2009. Industry groups claimed the environmental review process would hold up shovel-ready projects. Some governors called for greatly streamlining NEPA requirements.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/articles/entry/2565/

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »

NEPA Exemptions: The Dirty Dozen List

Alcoa, Inc.
Archer-Daniels-Midland Company
ConocoPhillips Company
Denbury Onshore/Air Products and Chemicals/Valero Energy Corporation
Detroit Edison Company
Didion Milling, Inc.
Duke Energy Corporation
E.I. DuPont DeNemours & Company/BioArchitecture Lab, Inc.
Honeywell International/UOP, LLC
Praxair, Inc./BP Products North America
Westar Energy, Inc.

read details here - http://www.publicintegrity.org/articles/entry/2662/

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:34:16 PM »

Chamber of Commerce, Other Biz Lobbies Drill Big Oil for New Cash Gusher

Updated: 9/9/2010, 10:18 am | What do the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Business Industry Political Action Committee (BIPAC), and the new American Crossroads group have in common this summer?

All are seeking big bucks from the deep-pocketed but embattled oil industry as it faces higher taxes and increased regulations in the aftermath of the BP oil disaster.

Here’s the impeccable logic. “Everybody knows that the oil and gas industry has a big target on its back resulting from the Gulf oil spill and higher prices of a few years ago,” one veteran oil lobbyist told the Center for Public Integrity. “The industry is a ‘go-to’ place for any organization that can argue it can help create an easier climate for oil companies.”

read more here- http://www.publicintegrity.org/blog/entry/2344/

Need a permit?  $$$

Need an exemption?  $$$  (How many were looking for Obamacare exemptions?)

Tell us what you want and we'll skew a study in your favor?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.