April 25, 2024, 06:40:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illinois man dies in crash; wife(Tanya Shannon) leaves car, vanishes(BODYFOUND)  (Read 42195 times)
Tolerance
Monkey Junky

Praying for the children.

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »

4 Donks,
This troubles me as well.  It was the first thing I said.  What did she do?  Crawl over her dead or dying husband? 
This is all so weird.
Those poor poor children..........
Tol
self edit to add:  All the while wearing a fancy pants gown!!!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2010, 10:59:55 AM »

Created: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:00 a.m.
Case of missing woman remains 'mystery'

OTTAWA, Ill. — La Salle County Sheriff Tom Templeton has never had another case like that of the Ransom woman who is still missing, presumably somewhere in Brookfield Township.

“It’s my first case that’s this much of a mystery,” the veteran lawman said Tuesday of Tanya Shannon, 41, who disappeared almost a month ago after her husband — with whom she was apparently riding with — was killed when his car went off the road and slammed into a utility pole in Brookfield Township.

A patrolling La Salle County Sheriff’s deputy found the husband, Dale E. Shannon, 40, of Ransom, dead in his vehicle on the Mazon-Grand Ridge Road at about 1:45 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 5. Authorities attributed his death to a broken neck in the crash.

His wife was apparently riding with him, as her high heeled shoes were found in the car. She may have donned into slipper-type shoes instead, as footprints led from the driver’s door through the roadside ditch and up to the highway, where one slipper-shoe was found.

http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/articles/2010/12/28/85772886/index.xml
Respectfully snipped and bolded by me. Isn't this new, I don't recall them confirming being able to track her footprints before.  I recall them saying there was too much snow to do a complete (my phrasing, don't recall exactly their phrasing) and proper search and they'd have to wait for a thaw.  It would lend more credence to the theory that she either took off on her own or was taken off.  It also does nothing to temper the feeling that something is way off on this one.

(Bolded above by me)
No, it's not new information, youknomenot.  Here's an article in the first post in this thread, dated Dec. 07, 2010 that mentions it.  It's also mentioned in the second article and other articles in this thread.   I remembered it because I posted some of the articles here.    This case is really quite strange, to say the least imo.  

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=9089.msg1272740#msg1272740
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/07/illinois.accident.mystery/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
(snip)
An Illinois woman walked away from a car crash that killed her husband, authorities believe, but they have found no trace of her other than footprints in the snow leading to a road.(snip)

(snip)
Footprints were found leading from the car to a nearby road, WGN and the Tribune reported. But there, Tanya Shannon's trail ends.

"We see Mrs. Shannon getting to the road," Tom Templeton, LaSalle County Sheriff, told WGN. "Then from there, we have no idea."
(snip)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:01:32 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »

December 29, 2010

(snip)
Those who wish to contribute toward the welfare of the four daughters, who are being cared for by relatives, may do so at Jerry's Tap in Ransom. (snip)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/search-resume-tanya-shannon-112636134.html
Search May Resume for Missing Woman
December 29, 2010

Temperatures are expected to rise this week, and with the defrost of sorts police said they might resume their search for a missing LaSalle County woman.
(snip)

yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2010, 10:31:27 PM »

OTTAWA, Ill. — La Salle County Sheriff Tom Templeton has never had another case like that of the Ransom woman who is still missing, presumably somewhere in Brookfield Township.

“It’s my first case that’s this much of a mystery,” the veteran lawman said Tuesday of Tanya Shannon, 41, who disappeared almost a month ago after her husband — with whom she was apparently riding with — was killed when his car went off the road and slammed into a utility pole in Brookfield Township.

A patrolling La Salle County Sheriff’s deputy found the husband, Dale E. Shannon, 40, of Ransom, dead in his vehicle on the Mazon-Grand Ridge Road at about 1:45 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 5. Authorities attributed his death to a broken neck in the crash.

His wife was apparently riding with him, as her high heeled shoes were found in the car. She may have donned into slipper-type shoes instead, as footprints led from the driver’s door through the roadside ditch and up to the highway, where one slipper-shoe was found.

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me.  Isn't this new, I don't recall them confirming being able to track her footprints before.  I recall them saying there was too much snow to do a complete (my phrasing, don't recall exactly their phrasing) and proper search and they'd have to wait for a thaw.  It would lend more credence to the theory that she either took off on her own or was taken off.  It also does nothing to temper the feeling that something is way off on this one.
If she was a passenger I don't understand the foot prints leading away from the driver's door.
Excellent point, although as someone else mentioned she could have crawled out that way for whatever reason.  I'm not at all convinced that she wasn't driving.  We sure need more information.
yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me. Isn't this new, I don't recall them confirming being able to track her footprints before.  I recall them saying there was too much snow to do a complete (my phrasing, don't recall exactly their phrasing) and proper search and they'd have to wait for a thaw.  It would lend more credence to the theory that she either took off on her own or was taken off.  It also does nothing to temper the feeling that something is way off on this one.

(Bolded above by me)
No, it's not new information, youknomenot.  Here's an article in the first post in this thread, dated Dec. 07, 2010 that mentions it.  It's also mentioned in the second article and other articles in this thread.   I remembered it because I posted some of the articles here.    This case is really quite strange, to say the least imo.  

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=9089.msg1272740#msg1272740
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/07/illinois.accident.mystery/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
(snip)
An Illinois woman walked away from a car crash that killed her husband, authorities believe, but they have found no trace of her other than footprints in the snow leading to a road.(snip)

(snip)
Footprints were found leading from the car to a nearby road, WGN and the Tribune reported. But there, Tanya Shannon's trail ends.

"We see Mrs. Shannon getting to the road," Tom Templeton, LaSalle County Sheriff, told WGN. "Then from there, we have no idea."
(snip)
Oh Muffybee thank you!  Believe it or not, I went back to the beginning and skimmed the articles before I posted, we see now why I am not a detective  .  I actually had been looking for the word highway and should have taken more time to actually read, lesson very definitely learned!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »

No worried, youknomenot.  This is really a strange case.  And it's really sad, in that one person is known dead and one missing under suspicious circumstances and there are four children without parents right now. 

Sometimes things can be missed, but what's really crazy sometimes is when there are articles that contain conflicting information...  And I've also see errors made in articles.  It's like some news outlets are trying so hard to scoop a story and be the first that they don't check the facts and we end up with erroneous reporting, which even if it's corrected late on, it seems to be thought the first reporting is correct.  Very difficult to get the facts straight some times.  I hope the weather will allow more searching next week.  Tanya Shannon needs to be found.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/illinois&id=7873860
Search teams look for missing mom
December 31, 2010

December 31, 2010 (WLS) -- Search teams in LaSalle County were out Friday looking for a woman who has been missing since a car crash that killed her husband earlier this month.

Authorities hoped the warmer temperatures might help them find Tanya Shannon.
Following the crash that killed her husband, deputies found footprints in the snow leading away from the wrecked car. But there's been no sign of the 40-year-old woman.

Investigators searched a bit Friday, but the heavy rain forced them to temporarily suspend their efforts.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=13770127
Search to resume Monday for missing Illinois woman
January 2, 2010

OTTAWA, Ill. (AP) - The search will resume Monday for a 40-year-old Ransom woman who went missing in early December after a car crash killed her husband.

LaSalle County sheriff's Sgt. Jeff Whalen said Sunday that the search for Tanya Shannon would resume Monday at 9 a.m. near where the Shannons' car hit a light pole, leaving Dale Shannon dead behind the wheel on Dec. 5.

Whalen says snow has melted, leaving fields clean. Whalen says the search will include up to 15 people on horse, one helicopter and a limited ground search on foot.

Police believe Tanya Shannon was riding with her husband when the car crashed. Footprints in the snow led away from the car. Searchers looked for days with no clues. The cold weather ended the search on Dec. 8.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: Body of missing woman found
Monday, January 03, 2011

The search for Tanya Shannon is over, after La Salle County Sheriff Tom Templeton this morning confirmed searchers found her body in a field.
Templeton said the body was wearing the gray hooded sweatshirt and red dress last seen on Shannon when she disappeared Dec. 4.
Shannon and her husband, Dale Shannon, had attended a party on the evening before. In the early morning hours of Dec. 5, police found Dale Shannon had crashed their car and died behind the wheel. Tanya Shannon was believed to have been a passenger in the car and walked away from the scene, according to La Salle County Sheriff’s Office.
Footprints and a lost slipper started police on a search that was suspended due to weather.
The search resumed shortly before 9 a.m. today.
Half an hour later, law enforcement vehicles and several people were near an object as helicopters hovered overhead.
The body was about three-fourths of a mile southeast of Brookfield Township Hall and 1½ miles east of the crash scene.
There were about 60 people searching today, on horseback and with cadaver dogs.
“Everything we can throw at this today is out there,” Sheriff Tom Templeton said as the search began shortly before 9 a.m.

http://www.newstrib.com/articles/news/nci/default.asp?article=25161&aname=BREAKING+NEWS%3A+Searchers+find+body+in+field

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »

How sad. But I am glad they found her so the family will know. Sad that all the information and speculation about the divorce and her setting it up came out prior to her being found. I hope the family will now be able to heal. 

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »

Really,really sad. RIP Tanya

2 4 1
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chibrknews-sheriff-lasalle-county-body-is-01032011,0,1592388.story
Sheriff: LaSalle County body is missing woman
David Pierini and Kristin Schorsch

1:53 p.m. CST, January 3, 2011
Authorities in LaSalle County have found the body of Tanya Shannon, a mother of four who went missing nearly a month ago after a crash that killed her husband.

The body was found about 9:21 a.m. near the intersection of North 20th and East 27th roads in a rural area of unincorporated Brookfield Township, said LaSalle County Sheriff Tom Templeton. That was about three-quarters of a mile southeast of where the crash occurred, officials said.

The clothing found on the body -- a red dress and gray hooded jacket -- matched what Shannon was last seen wearing and her purse was found close by, he said.

"It's pretty well resolved as far as we're concerned," Templeton said. "I think everyone feels relief, but it's not about us. ... At least there's a closure to it. It's not the (outcome) we hoped for, but at least there's closure for the kids."

Shannon and her husband Dale were driving on Grand Ridge Mazon Blacktop between East 26th and East 27th roads at about 1:45 a.m. on Dec. 5 when their car spun out. The rear of the car hit a pole, reportedly breaking Dale Shannon's back, police said.
Tanya Shannon left behind a slipper in a snowy footprint, and her trail ended at the road, police said. The body found this morning did not have shoes.

An investigation by the LaSalle County coroner indicated that Dale Shannon's blood-alcohol level was .266 percent at the time of his death -- more than three times the legal limit for driving.

The sheriff today characterized the crash as "alcohol- and weather-related," but said an autopsy scheduled for later this week would determine the cause of Tanya Shannon's death. According to a release from the Sheriff's office, the agency is also awaiting toxicology reports.

Dale Shannon's body was found immediately; crews searched for days for his wife's body but were hampered by snow, officials said.

Following the recent thaw, officials had planned to resume the search this morning. Just before 9:30 a.m., before their search got under way, a helicopter for WBBM-Ch. 2 spotted the body in a soybean field, Templeton said.

Illinois State Police CSI investigators were investigating the area where the body was found, though authorities don't believe foul play was involved, said the sheriff.

Bill Durdan owns land nearby and was driving near the field today about 9 a.m.

"We took a ride and my granddaughter said 'Look at that red thing in the field,' " Durdan said, "and then we saw the helicopters on top of it."

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2011, 01:30:47 AM »

Thank goodness they found her.   
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2011, 04:48:19 AM »

Body of Missing Woman Found Weeks After Crash~

Excerpt~

Police still are not clear why Shannon wandered into the field after the crash.

"Where we found her doesn't make any sense as to where she would have been walking," Templeton said. "The town she lived in was five miles south of the crash site. She was a mile east from where she should have been walking toward home."

The mystery began around 1:45 a.m. Dec. 5, when police found Dale Shannon, 41, dead behind the wheel in a one-vehicle crash on the Grand Ridge Mazon Blacktop between East 26th and East 27th roads.

The car had spun out, hit a telephone pole and veered about 20 feet off the road. Dale Shannon died of a broken neck. His blood-alcohol content was 0.266, more than three times the legal threshold for drunken driving, according to the LaSalle County coroner's office.

The couple were last seen leaving a holiday party in Streator, about 17 miles west of Ransom, where Dale Shannon's sister, Donna Baker, said they were "cutting up a rug" and departed "arm in arm."

Templeton said the car crash was "alcohol and weather related," and that hypothermia likely contributed to Tanya Shannon's death. The low temperature that night was 5 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday, LaSalle County Coroner Jody Bernard said.

Illinois State Police crime scene investigators on Monday examined the area where Shannon was found, though authorities don't believe foul play was involved, Templeton said.

Through a sheriff's department news release, the Shannon family thanked those who helped search for Tanya and requested privacy.

(complete story at link)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-shannon-search-0104-20110103,0,1232395.story

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »

I don't have a problem with admitting my prior personal thoughts on this case were wrong and wayyy off. I am glad she has been found. The not knowing has to be worse than knowing...even in circumstances like this. RIP Tanya, you can go home now.

Details on 'strange search' emerge after body found
Tuesday, January 04, 2011

La Salle County Sheriff Tom Templeton described the Tanya Shannon search as “strange” as he explained details and his own speculation as to what transpired.

The search for Tanya Shannon, 40, of Ransom ended Monday morning after a news helicopter crew spotted “something red” in the middle of a field about one mile southeast of Brookfield Township Hall.

La Salle County Sheriff Tom Templeton said the news crew notified him shortly before the official search got under way at about 9:30 a.m. Monday. Immediately, two state police helicopter search teams took flight and confirmed there was a red object in a field. Ground personnel on scene confirmed it was the body of Tanya Shannon.

“It’s still strange to me why Tanya would have walked there,” Templeton said.

Tanya Shannon’s body was found barefoot, clad in the same red dress and gray hooded jacket she was last seen wearing on Dec. 4. Her purse was also nearby. She and her husband, Dale Shannon, 41, had attended a party on that night in Streator.

In the early morning hours of Dec. 5, police found Dale Shannon had crashed their car and died behind the wheel several hundred feet east of the entrance to the Exelon nuclear power plant in rural eastern La Salle County. A toxicology report revealed Dale had a blood alcohol level of .266, three times the legal limit.

Tanya Shannon, however, had left the scene and could not be found after dozens of search and rescue personnel searched for two days in blistering cold temperatures and deep snow.

On Monday, thanks to recent unseasonably warm temperatures and rain, Tanya Shannon’s body was found more than one mile southeast of the crash in a field bordered by East 27th and North 20th roads, which is in the opposite direction of the nuclear power plant.

Templeton speculated that given where Tanya’s body was found in comparison to the crash site that she may have been injured in the accident causing her to be disoriented. Also, as she began walking in the freezing temperatures, hypothermia would have set in causing further disorientation.

An autopsy will be performed later this week to determine cause of death.
Templeton explained that search efforts focused mostly on ditches near roadways, and not fields far from roadways, because people experiencing hypothermia naturally try to burrow into low-lying areas in search of cover from the elements.

Snow and wind did its part to cover Tanya’s body and her footprints, which prevented helicopter search crews from finding her.

“Tanya was way beyond where anyone thought she would be — she walked a long way and all I can speculate is that she was trying to get home,” Templeton said. “Our efforts focused on ditches and nearby fields. Once we had rain and a significant amount of snow was washed away it was much easier to find her.”

At about the same time as the news helicopter discovered Tanya’s body, so did 10-year-old Ashlyn Thomas, a fourth-grader at Deer Park Elementary School.

Thomas was riding with her grandfather, Bill Durdan, and their family in the area when she pointed out that there was something red in the field.
“She said, ‘Grandpa, there’s something red over there,’” Durdan recalled, “and at about the same time a helicopter began hovering over the spot and then some more.”

A press release from Templeton’s office stated “The Shannon family would like to express their appreciation to everyone for their efforts to locate Tanya, and would like to request that their privacy be respected at this time.”

Templeton said he was “satisfied” that the “whole thing was what we always thought it was … an alcohol and weather-related traffic accident.”
“All we could talk about around the office was how terrible it must be for her four children to lose their father, and not know for sure about their mother, during the holidays,” Templeton said. “We hoped to bring closure to this family, which is all we could do.”

http://www.newstrib.com/articles/news/nci/default.asp?article=25178&aname=Details+on+'strange+search'+emerge+after+body+found

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »

I don't have a problem with admitting my prior personal thoughts on this case were wrong and wayyy off. I am glad she has been found. The not knowing has to be worse than knowing...even in circumstances like this. RIP Tanya, you can go home now.

Details on 'strange search' emerge after body found
Tuesday, January 04, 2011

La Salle County Sheriff Tom Templeton described the Tanya Shannon search as “strange” as he explained details and his own speculation as to what transpired.

The search for Tanya Shannon, 40, of Ransom ended Monday morning after a news helicopter crew spotted “something red” in the middle of a field about one mile southeast of Brookfield Township Hall.

La Salle County Sheriff Tom Templeton said the news crew notified him shortly before the official search got under way at about 9:30 a.m. Monday. Immediately, two state police helicopter search teams took flight and confirmed there was a red object in a field. Ground personnel on scene confirmed it was the body of Tanya Shannon.

“It’s still strange to me why Tanya would have walked there,” Templeton said.

Tanya Shannon’s body was found barefoot, clad in the same red dress and gray hooded jacket she was last seen wearing on Dec. 4. Her purse was also nearby. She and her husband, Dale Shannon, 41, had attended a party on that night in Streator.

In the early morning hours of Dec. 5, police found Dale Shannon had crashed their car and died behind the wheel several hundred feet east of the entrance to the Exelon nuclear power plant in rural eastern La Salle County. A toxicology report revealed Dale had a blood alcohol level of .266, three times the legal limit.

Tanya Shannon, however, had left the scene and could not be found after dozens of search and rescue personnel searched for two days in blistering cold temperatures and deep snow.

On Monday, thanks to recent unseasonably warm temperatures and rain, Tanya Shannon’s body was found more than one mile southeast of the crash in a field bordered by East 27th and North 20th roads, which is in the opposite direction of the nuclear power plant.

Templeton speculated that given where Tanya’s body was found in comparison to the crash site that she may have been injured in the accident causing her to be disoriented. Also, as she began walking in the freezing temperatures, hypothermia would have set in causing further disorientation.

An autopsy will be performed later this week to determine cause of death.
Templeton explained that search efforts focused mostly on ditches near roadways, and not fields far from roadways, because people experiencing hypothermia naturally try to burrow into low-lying areas in search of cover from the elements.

Snow and wind did its part to cover Tanya’s body and her footprints, which prevented helicopter search crews from finding her.

“Tanya was way beyond where anyone thought she would be — she walked a long way and all I can speculate is that she was trying to get home,” Templeton said. “Our efforts focused on ditches and nearby fields. Once we had rain and a significant amount of snow was washed away it was much easier to find her.”

At about the same time as the news helicopter discovered Tanya’s body, so did 10-year-old Ashlyn Thomas, a fourth-grader at Deer Park Elementary School.

Thomas was riding with her grandfather, Bill Durdan, and their family in the area when she pointed out that there was something red in the field.
“She said, ‘Grandpa, there’s something red over there,’” Durdan recalled, “and at about the same time a helicopter began hovering over the spot and then some more.”

A press release from Templeton’s office stated “The Shannon family would like to express their appreciation to everyone for their efforts to locate Tanya, and would like to request that their privacy be respected at this time.”

Templeton said he was “satisfied” that the “whole thing was what we always thought it was … an alcohol and weather-related traffic accident.”
“All we could talk about around the office was how terrible it must be for her four children to lose their father, and not know for sure about their mother, during the holidays,” Templeton said. “We hoped to bring closure to this family, which is all we could do.”

http://www.newstrib.com/articles/news/nci/default.asp?article=25178&aname=Details+on+'strange+search'+emerge+after+body+found

Nut, I hear you.  My mind was all over the place as well.  She must have been disoriented and the only thought was to try and get help.  She is at rest now with her husband.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »

H/T cw618, originally posted in wrong thread:

Ill. mom who disappeared after crash found dead

By KAREN HAWKINS, Associated Press Karen Hawkins, Associated Press – Tue Jan 4, 3:37 am ET
CHICAGO – Family members of a northern Illinois mother of four who left behind a slipper and footprints in the snow when she vanished after a car accident that killed her husband had to wait through the holidays before finally learning that she too had died.

The body of 40-year-old Tanya Shannon was found Monday in a LaSalle County field about three-quarters of a mile from where she and her husband crashed into a light pole while returning during a snow storm from a holiday party in the early morning hours of Dec. 5.

Shannon was last seen leaving a friend's holiday party in a red dress. Her footprints and slipper found near the car were the only clues investigators had.

Dale Shannon was found dead behind the wheel, and his blood-alcohol content was found to be 0.266, or more than three times the state's legal driving limit of 0.08. An autopsy found he died of spinal injuries.

Those who knew the Shannons said they hoped Monday's discovery might offer the family, especially the children, some closure.

"I'm glad to know that the kids now will have that relief to know what happened," said Chris Kesler, who worked with Tanya Shannon at the Turtle Tap in Morris. "It's hard, but at least we now know where she is and that she's in a better place."

Searchers had spent days last month combing through the flat, snowy terrain on horseback, on foot and in helicopters, probing snow banks with poles and sweeping through soybean fields with metal detectors. The search resumed Monday because conditions had improved.

The clothing on the body found Monday matches what Shannon was last reported to be wearing — the red dress and a gray hooded sweat shirt — and her purse was found nearby, said LaSalle County Sheriff Tom Templeton. The body was first spotted by a helicopter for Chicago's WBBM-AM.

Templeton said searchers had the Shannons' four children in mind as they continued their mission in brutal weather conditions.

"Four children lost their father right before Christmas, for sure, and this young lady was now missing. Hopefully we would bring some closure to the family" by finding her, he said.

An autopsy was scheduled for later in the week.

The disappearance of Tanya Shannon, a part-time barmaid widely described as a devoted mother, shook those living in and around her hometown of Ransom, a village of 383 people about 70 miles southwest of Chicago.

While Templeton acknowledges no one will ever know why she got out of her battered car and began walking through the snow in 10-degree weather, most people assumed she was disoriented after the crash and went looking for help but didn't make it. But some speculated that perhaps she ran off or was abducted.

The Shannons' neighbor, Naomi Hauser, said she always viewed the disappearance as nothing more than a "terrible tragedy."

"I was just kind of holding my breath," Hauser said. "I had a feeling she was out in one of those fields."

Tanya Shannon's sister, Corinne Johnson, said in the days after the crash that her sister wouldn't have walked away from her life. On Monday, Johnson said she was too emotional to talk and was in the process of making funeral arrangements.

The crash occurred about six miles from the couple's home. The Shannons' four daughters, who range in age from 4 to 15 years old, have been staying with family.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_crash_missing_woman

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:31:46 AM by Bearlyhere » Logged

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:08 AM »

H/T cw618 posted in wrong thread:

TY bearlyhere,too many windows open i guess

more pics

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-101207-tanya-shannon-search-pictures,0,2963360.photogallery

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2011, 09:43:55 AM »

man im haveing a bad day video link
 http://www.wgntv.com/videobeta/de6b8fd1-fee5-4b9d-b570-3e765c40b80b/News/Body-of-missing-woman-found

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.