April 19, 2024, 09:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives to Unending Unemployment Benefits  (Read 1214 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: December 07, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Why isn't anyone talking about alternatives?

Here are some things that come to mind -

When Wisconsin started Workfare many years ago, there were some surprises.  From what I recall, a high percentage voluntarily just dropped out rather than go for training or eduction.  Apparently, they had something else to do during the day.  Something like 25% or more.

Wouldn't it be nice if 25% of the unemployed voluntarily dropped out of unemployment?

I've heard that temporary stimulus jobs cost about $400,000 each.  $400,000 would have paid for a lot of education at two year technical schools, medical schools, nursing school, or any number of other programs.  And, every $400,000 may have helped many people, and given them skills for the jobs that are available.  Instead, $400,000 for each temporary job was wasted.  I would imagine unemployment for one year is a lot less than $400,000.

Why give free tuition to illegal aliens, or taxpayer subsidy to illegal aliens, and let folks go on their third year of unemployment benefits without doing something to help themselves?

Why doesn't the 3 year safety net for the long term unemployed expect participants to make some effort to find a new career?  Go for free retraining?  Instead of giving stimulus money to China to build factories, and hire workers, why wasn't that money used to retrain Americans?

What of the underemployed?  What are they getting out of these benefit extensions?

How much less would it cost if 50% of the long term unemployed voluntarily dropped out?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »

Obama said something the other day that indicated that some high percentage of construction workers hadn't had a job in six months.

Why not recruit some of the long term unemployed for border security?

I would imagine there are lots of unemployed construction workers that could build housing and other things to support this movement of workers.

Maybe they could establish work brigades?  Make sure the unemployed have something to do during the day.  Sign up to work at non-profits in exchange for continued unemployment?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.