April 17, 2024, 07:21:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington's Grave Robbers  (Read 1692 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: December 07, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »

Many years ago, I went on school field trips to museums.  I loved the mummy exhibits.   How amazing.  Human beings, dead for thousands of years, displayed behind glass.  Along with the remains were wonderful displays of goods that were buried with the dead. 

In ancient Egypt, and other places, the dead were buried with their wealth.  For some reason, they thought they could take it with them.  Over time, graves were robbed, goods taken, and the dead disturbed.  What they didn't give away in life, robbers took after death.

Who knows how much was lost?  Did those taking the loot earn it?  Were they entitled to take it just because they could?  Put it in a museum?  Sell it to a private collector?

Over time, those folks were considered bad.  Plunderers.  Goods were returned to their country of origin.  Can't return to the dead, they couldn't take it with them.  Was it ever right for anyone to take what didn't belong to them?

Stealing from the deceased?  Is that ever acceptable?

What's the difference between archaeology and grave robbing?

Just try digging up a 105-year-old grave and taking the pocket watch from the coffin. This is called grave robbing, and it's illegal. But what if the site was a Native American burial plot and a university researcher applied for and received a permit to excavate the site? Then it's archaeology, which is protected by law, as long as the dig is conducted according to the state's guidelines. A permit makes a big difference in the differentiation between archaeology and grave robbing. It's the basis for what makes an excavation legitimate. Each state in the United States has a governing body, usually headed by the state archeologist, which spells out the guidelines for a legal excavation.

more here - http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/archaeology-grave-robbing.htm/printable

Does it make it any different if the deceased died yesterday?  Dies in two months?  Is it ever ok to take their wealth?  Goods?

These folks already paid taxes on their wealth.  Why does government think they have to confiscate/steal/rob what the dead leave behind?

If they could hide their wealth for 100 years is it safe?

I think robbing the dead is just wrong.  It doesn't matter if they died yesterday, 100 years ago, or a thousand.

Why can't Washington let these families alone?  Why does Washington think they are entitled to take from the dead?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.