April 24, 2024, 11:07:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #58 4/17/11 - 10/16/11  (Read 273576 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #360 on: June 17, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »

::snipping2::

Considering most woodpeckers are a protected species and the $500 fine that can accompany the wrongful death of said birds, it is in your best interests to handle a woodpecker problem as carefully as possible. The woodpecker control strategies outlined below are presented in order of the least direct to the most direct methods of control, barring any physical or pesticide control measures.

Putting up a suet feeder won’t get rid of woodpeckers, but it will probably distract them from putting more holes in your home. Eric, who works at a wild bird store, has suggested putting the suet feeder close to the area being damaged the most and slowly moving the feeder, day by day, away from that area until the woodpeckers become accustomed to feeding on the suet instead of your house. It has been suggested that keeping suet feeders out in extremely warm weather may inadvertently coat the woodpecker’s plumage with suet, so keep an eye out for any damage the feeder may be doing to its patrons.

Cute, Jackie! Are you kidding me? Can I add lard laced with arsenic to the suet???   

Fess up.......... you're enjoying this, aren't you?   
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #361 on: June 17, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »

OH CBB     They sure have gone after the hand rail. 

I know you must be beside yourself with the devastation. But I thank you for the pictures of your deck. It looks so peaceful. After hours of the dang bug guy and Baez I really needed the pictures to bring down my BP.

Hi GE!!  It's a beautiful deck isn't it?  So serene, well minus the damn woodpeckers.
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #362 on: June 17, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »

Considering most woodpeckers are a protected species and the $500 fine that can accompany the wrongful death of said birds, it is in your best interests to handle a woodpecker problem as carefully as possible. The woodpecker control strategies outlined below are presented in order of the least direct to the most direct methods of control, barring any physical or pesticide control measures.

Putting up a suet feeder won’t get rid of woodpeckers, but it will probably distract them from putting more holes in your home. Eric, who works at a wild bird store, has suggested putting the suet feeder close to the area being damaged the most and slowly moving the feeder, day by day, away from that area until the woodpeckers become accustomed to feeding on the suet instead of your house. It has been suggested that keeping suet feeders out in extremely warm weather may inadvertently coat the woodpecker’s plumage with suet, so keep an eye out for any damage the feeder may be doing to its patrons.

Cute, Jackie! Are you kidding me? Can I add lard laced with arsenic to the suet???   

Fess up.......... you're enjoying this, aren't you?   

I would go get some suet or try vinegar or vicks something similiar to the yucky smell to see if they will go away - do it FAST!!!!
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #363 on: June 17, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »

I love Petey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost as cute as that grandbaby is (Almost)

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
crazybabyborg
« Reply #364 on: June 17, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

I know you must be beside yourself with the devastation. But I thank you for the pictures of your deck. It looks so peaceful. After hours of the dang bug guy and Baez I really needed the pictures to bring down my BP.

Hi GE!!  It's a beautiful deck isn't it?  So serene, well minus the damn woodpeckers.

Look quick! It's going fast!!  They've laid off a little this afternoon; Probably bloated!  Rolling Eyes
crazybabyborg
« Reply #365 on: June 17, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »

OK, I've put what Vick's I have on the rail. First I sprayed it with a whole can of ant spray (well? It's all I had!) I've got 2 bottles of Apple Cider Vinegar........... going to put that in a spray bottle and spray it over the Vick's.

Thanks, Jackie!!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #366 on: June 17, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »

Thank you GE!! It gets the morning sun and it's my favorite place for KuBear and I to have my first cup of coffee and treat her to Vanilla wafers! I'd like to treat her to woodpecker! Just sayin.......
crazybabyborg
« Reply #367 on: June 17, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »

I'll be back later............ going after some suet and Ro Pel....

Exterminator can't be here until MONDAY!!!   
shy-monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #368 on: June 17, 2011, 08:30:13 PM »

Please pray for my Sister in Law.  They have been trying to find out the cause of her right sided eye blindness.  She has a brain tumor.  It is wrapped around both her carotid artery and will squeeze it off eventually and is around her optic nerve which is causing her to lose her vision.  This is the parent of the child who lost his life in a tragic accident a couple of years ago.  It was not his fault.  This family has just been through too much.  My heart bleeds for them.

Thank you.

Done!

Praying for her friends and family too
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #369 on: June 17, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »

I'll be back later............ going after some suet and Ro Pel....

Exterminator can't be here until MONDAY!!!   

That's better than a week from Monday. I would think that the vicks would keep them away. How about some really strong chili powder or seeds?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #370 on: June 17, 2011, 11:28:36 PM »

I have two woodpeckers that are literally EATING my deck!!! 

I'm serious! This started just 3 days ago........... and LOOK!!

This is my deck:

These two are the culprits (taken from bathroom window on Zoom so quality sucks) See the rips in the top hand rail?

Now, look at what they have done in three days all along the top handrail!

And here one is in action!! (again, from window) Look at the damage!!

I don't know what to do! They've gotten so brazen that they don't fly away when I peck on the window!
It's illegal to shoot them......... I'm not sure I could do that anyway, but I can't afford to "feed the birds"!

Help!! Any suggestions??

Signed: Pecked off from Tennessee

See how they like this.  Put some in a spray bottle and spray on the railing or anywhere they are pecking.  Probably against some law to do it but GEEZ, you can't let them ruin your deck either!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »

How to get rid of woodpeckers

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-woodpeckers/
crazybabyborg
« Reply #372 on: June 18, 2011, 12:15:38 AM »

Thanks, Klaas! The hot sauce is a great idea and the info at the link is helpful too. It says it's very important to not let them settle into where they've been pecking so I really need to do something quickly!!

I've always had woodpeckers OUT in the yard, but this is the first time they've been destructive to the house or deck!! I'll arm myself with the hot sauce in the morning and give the rails a good coating!!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #373 on: June 18, 2011, 03:06:07 AM »

Please pray for my Sister in Law.  They have been trying to find out the cause of her right sided eye blindness.  She has a brain tumor.  It is wrapped around both her carotid artery and will squeeze it off eventually and is around her optic nerve which is causing her to lose her vision.  This is the parent of the child who lost his life in a tragic accident a couple of years ago.  It was not his fault.  This family has just been through too much.  My heart bleeds for them.

Thank you.

Done!

Praying for her friends and family too

Thanks shy-monkey.  We need the prayers.

an angelic monkey

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #374 on: June 18, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »

Thanks, Klaas! The hot sauce is a great idea and the info at the link is helpful too. It says it's very important to not let them settle into where they've been pecking so I really need to do something quickly!!

I've always had woodpeckers OUT in the yard, but this is the first time they've been destructive to the house or deck!! I'll arm myself with the hot sauce in the morning and give the rails a good coating!!

I'm thinking aluminum foil on the railings might help as well.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #375 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »

The foil sounds like it might work, but I would put it with the shiny side down, dull side up.  If birds can see their reflection, they will be even more attracted and peck at it thinking it's another peckerwood woodpecker interloping in their territory and peck at it even more.  For about a month every spring, I live through male cardinals pecking at my house windows and with bird poop down the doors of my vehicles parked outside because the male cardinals keep going after the side mirrors.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #376 on: June 18, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

The foil sounds like it might work, but I would put it with the shiny side down, dull side up.  If birds can see their reflection, they will be even more attracted and peck at it thinking it's another peckerwood woodpecker interloping in their territory and peck at it even more.  For about a month every spring, I live through male cardinals pecking at my house windows and with bird poop down the doors of my vehicles parked outside because the male cardinals keep going after the side mirrors.   

Yes, they love admiring themselves.  If you fold your side view mirrors in when you are not using the car, that helps.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #377 on: June 18, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »

Yes, they love admiring themselves.  If you fold your side view mirrors in when you are not using the car, that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bearly.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #378 on: June 18, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »

Thanks everybody for all of the great suggestions and references!

I've hot sauced, Vick'ed, Vinager'ed, ant sprayed, and aluminum wrapped! Then I hung suet in a tree that is in the backyard but away from the deck.

AND........... so far today........... I haven't heard a single peck!!

crazybabyborg
« Reply #379 on: June 18, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »

I relate, Muffy!! I have a male cardinal every year that beats his brains out on my brass kickplate on the front door! It sound like someone's knocking for weeks. Drives my dog crazy!   
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.