April 25, 2024, 02:22:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #58 4/17/11 - 10/16/11  (Read 273580 times)
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »

Just checking here on our monkeys.  I have very good older friends who lived through Hurricane Camille when it came through at night years ago and stalled over Nelson County, VA.  Nighttime hurricanes and tornadoes are so dangerous because you can't see them and people are asleep...bad combination.  People tend to wait until they can see or hear something and by that time it's too late.  The average warning time, at best, for a tornado is 13 minutes. Few people can get to safe shelter that quickly.  With nighttime storms, many people blow off the watches and warnings and go on to bed.  Instead, they need a battery powered or hand-crank radio turned on loud enough to hear and set to a station broadcasting Emergency alerts or a NOOA radio.  They need to check the weather before bed and if at all possible, check it periodically during the night.

Daytime storms are no exception-a lot of people ignore the watches and the warnings, rather than prepare and take cover.  Even with the best equipment, forecasters are going to miss it because the weather is still unpredictable and uncontrollable. I know it's not always convenient to prepare and take cover, but it beats dying any day. Last weekend we had just walked into a Walmart and I went to the restroom.  I overheard someone say Walmart had just announced to a tornado warning.  We immediately left (monitoring the car radio for alerts) and went to a nearby relative's basement where we huddled for a few hours.  Days later we saw pics of the NC Lowe's.   

Having recently spent time huddled with family in a tight space, I was very thankful for a Red Cross family member who always alerts me to bad weather and has taught me how to pack an emergency kit.  She often mans emergency shelters, so she's my go-to on what to pack for an extended stay.  The Red Cross website has lots of info.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »

I'm still hoping this could be why some of our Alabama monkeys haven't checked in...

I hope they're all alright, and that we will hear from them soon!

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/04/alabama_tornadoes_power_outage.html#incart_mrt

Alabama tornadoes: Power outages down to 111,000 Alabama Power customers statewide

Published: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 11:17 AM     Updated: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 11:26 AM

By Dawn Kent -- The Birmingham News

Alabama Power Co. said today that about 111,000 customers statewide remain without power following Wednesday's tornado outbreak.

The total, as of 10:30 a.m., includes 52,000 outages in the Birmingham area, along with 47,000 in the western part of the state and 11,000 in the state's eastern area.

The company has set a goal to restore power to 95 percent of customers who can take service by the end of the day Wednesday.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »

Just an FYI - I think some are still without power.  Posted at GM by Sam:
Sam
2500 Poster

View Profile    

Re: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening! (# 3)
« Reply #611 on: April 29, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »    
Good Morning all. Have a good day.

We are all so relieved to know that Lala, Cat and Bt are OK. They do not have power but I am sure they will be glad to know they were missed and glad Mishy was able to reach Cat to let us know.

So stay safe all and lets pray that the tornadoes have ended for the season.Prayers also for the families who lost loved ones due to the weather and for all the displaced animals.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »

FYI -  I just got an email from Magnolia's brother.  Magnolia and Hudson are OK but without power.  She didn't want us to worry.  I told her brother I would let everyone know how glad we are she is at least OK.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »

Thanks Klaas!  I really appreciate Mag's brother letting us know she and Hudson are okay.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »

Thanks Klaas!  I really appreciate Mag's brother letting us know she and Hudson are okay.   

Yeah me too Muffy.  I'm sure her brother thought she was nuts.  Hey bro, would you email this person you don't know and tell her to tell my "peeps" I'm ok? 
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2011, 07:03:06 PM »

FYI -  I just got an email from Magnolia's brother.  Magnolia and Hudson are OK but without power.  She didn't want us to worry.  I told her brother I would let everyone know how glad we are she is at least OK.

Thanks Klaas.   I am glad they are okay. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »

Me too!  I've been so worried about them! 

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »

Glad that everyone is ok from the storms

Lucky777
Scared Monkey

« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »

It was only by the Grace of God that it missed us.  It was heading right for us and it took a turn and wiped out Pleasant Grove.  I have five kids, a great dane, two boxers, my husband my cat and myself hunkered down.  You could hear the roar.  Pleasant Grove is completely wiped out as is Hackleburg.  Major devestation in Tuscaloosa, Pratt City, Fultondale, Gardendale.  I have never seen anything like this!
The saddest story was the 7 week old baby missing in PG.  Praise God they found him the next morning.  His mother didn't make it.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »

It was only by the Grace of God that it missed us.  It was heading right for us and it took a turn and wiped out Pleasant Grove.  I have five kids, a great dane, two boxers, my husband my cat and myself hunkered down.  You could hear the roar.  Pleasant Grove is completely wiped out as is Hackleburg.  Major devestation in Tuscaloosa, Pratt City, Fultondale, Gardendale.  I have never seen anything like this!
The saddest story was the 7 week old baby missing in PG.  Praise God they found him the next morning.  His mother didn't make it.

Thank you for checking in with us Lucky.  I'm so glad to hear you, your family and pets are safe!    What a scary experience though.   I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be for the people suffering from the storms and tornadoes. I've only seen the pictures and videos and read the stories.      I hope and pray there will be relief. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »

Thank you for checking in and sharing your experience Lucky777.  I'm so glad you and yours are safe!   

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those who are suffering in the aftermath.  The devastation is so sad...I hope they get the help they need to recover.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »

Oh, Whew! Thanks Klaas for letting us know! Thank you, Mag's brother! It's even good to know that former Monkeys are OK!

Lucky... you really lived up to your name! I'm so glad you and your loved ones are alright. It was a scary night for me, and I'm so grateful that I didn't experience the devastation that occurred. My heart and prayers are with those whose lives were lost or changed because of the storms.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »

BREAKING NEWS:

Osama Bin Laden DEAD!

May he rot in Hell.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2011, 11:12:46 PM »

BREAKING NEWS:

Osama Bin Laden DEAD!

May he rot in Hell.

Thread started in The Monkey Lounge - News of the Day.  OSAMA BIN LADEN DEAD
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=9817.0

crazybabyborg
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2011, 12:04:26 AM »

Thanks, Muffy!!    
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2011, 07:15:56 AM »

US kills Osama bin Laden decade after 9/11 attacks

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20110502/US.Bin.Laden/

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2011, 02:25:23 AM »

Is Anna OK?

I have been in a tornado in Indiana and the "event" stays with you for a long time.

Stay safe and pray for those who are suffering,

Love,

IBE

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:56 AM »

Is Anna OK?

I have been in a tornado in Indiana and the "event" stays with you for a long time.

Love,

IBE

Hi IBE - yes I finally heard from Anna yesterday and she is OK.  She was out of power for a while.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »

Is Anna OK?

Love,

IBE

Hi IBE - yes I finally heard from Anna yesterday and she is OK.  She was out of power for a while.

Thank you Klaas I am glad Anna's okay. So many of the monkeys were in harms way. Prayers for all of the families that were in the path of the destruction of the tornadoes.  Every time I watch a video clip of them my heart breaks for the people that went though them. It is scary to watch I can't imagine how scary to have gone thru them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.