June 03, 2024, 05:02:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #58 4/17/11 - 10/16/11  (Read 276535 times)
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »

CBB, got to tell ya your pictures are "Perfect".  The cakes, the Son and new DIL, your sweety, the flowers, the bag pipes----I just love it all.  You can be very proud of your son and his new bride.

I just got back home from vacation.  I went to Shenandoah Valley (Woodstock, VA) and visited my ancestors homeland---Fort Valley, VA.  I bought a book called "Welcome to Fort Valley,,,,,The History and Culture of Virginia's "Valley Within A Valley"".  Me and hubby were driving around the Seven Fountains area where my ancestors are from and there is a woman and man walking the old road, we passed them, I told my hubby to back up--I want to talk to them and see what info there can give me on the area.  So I am talking to this guy about my family and asking where exactly the ancestors land was and I told him I got this book about the area and I loved it.  Well, his wife asked me if I had any idea who I was speaking to?  I told her NO and she said he is the one who wrote the book.  I absolutely went wild that I was sitting here talking to the man who wrote that great book.  He told me everything he could of the area, told us where to find the land (turns out the land was a former spa called Burner Springs because it had seven fountain springs on the land and they bought the land from my ancestors).  I found the land by the landmark he told me to look for.  I now have LOTS of photo's of the land, the springs, the lake, the creek etc. This may not be of interest to most of you but I was just so happy to be able to visit my great-great-great-great grandfathers land back in the 1750-1800's.  So now I am into the 1600's which will take me back to Ireland to find the remainder of the family.

Also, we were so close to Gettysburg that we drove the additional 130 miles and visited the Gettysburg National Battlefield and Cemetary.  It was awe inspiring.  The land, the monuments, the cemetery which is also where Abe Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address.  I took pictures of each states monument which were erected about 1900.  I couldn't find Kentucky so I asked about a park employee about it and he explained that Kentucky did not have any regiments in the battle BUT they did contribute a monument and it was erected at the spot of Lincoln's address and it is dedicated to native son.  It was fantastic.

Sorry to tell this but I was so excited about my trip I had to tell someone!!!  My son just doesn't understand all my excitement about this.   

Blue Moon that is so exciting about meeting the man how wrote the book.  I can understand your excitement about all the discoveries about your ancestors.  That's how I felt when I found the old cemetery my great great great grandfather and family were. It makes them so much more than just names

How exciting!!  I belong to Ancestory.com and have found quite a bit of info on my family, what other sites do you monkeys recommend?
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »

CBB, got to tell ya your pictures are "Perfect".  The cakes, the Son and new DIL, your sweety, the flowers, the bag pipes----I just love it all.  You can be very proud of your son and his new bride.

I just got back home from vacation.  I went to Shenandoah Valley (Woodstock, VA) and visited my ancestors homeland---Fort Valley, VA.  I bought a book called "Welcome to Fort Valley,,,,,The History and Culture of Virginia's "Valley Within A Valley"".  Me and hubby........... **SNIP ::snipping2:: ::snipping2::

Blue Moon that is so exciting about meeting the man how wrote the book.  I can understand your excitement about all the discoveries about your ancestors.  That's how I felt when I found the old cemetery my great great great grandfather and family were. It makes them so much more than just names

How exciting!!  I belong to Ancestory.com and have found quite a bit of info on my family, what other sites do you monkeys recommend?

I use Footnote as well as Ancestory.  Here is Footnote's web address:
http://www.footnote.com/

Some things are free on it but the good stuff requires you to pay for it.

Also, I visit the individual counties historical websites.  Wealth of info on them.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #342 on: June 14, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »

http://scaredmonkeysradio.com/
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #343 on: June 14, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »

I just got back home from vacation.  I went to Shenandoah Valley (Woodstock, VA) and visited my ancestors homeland---Fort Valley, VA.  I bought a book called "Welcome to Fort Valley,,,,,The History and Culture of Virginia's "Valley Within A Valley"".  Me and hubby........... **SNIP ::snipping2:: ::snipping2::

I use Footnote as well as Ancestory.  Here is Footnote's web address:
http://www.footnote.com/

Some things are free on it but the good stuff requires you to pay for it.

Also, I visit the individual counties historical websites.  Wealth of info on them.

Thank You Blue Moon!  I will check it out!
_icey_
Scared Monkey

« Reply #344 on: June 15, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »

Nice 
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »

AMBER Alert issued for stepbrother of murdered Louisville teen

http://www.wave3.com/story/14925513/amber-alert-issued-for

Klaas can you tell me where we put current amber alerts?

I've created a thread for Joshua Young and moved your first post from here to there.  MB

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=10755.0
Amber Alert - Joshua Young 15, Louisville KY
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:19:18 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »

It's Peeeeee----ee-e-e-etey!!      What a nice, welcome sight after sitting through another trial day.  

"Happiness is a warm puppy."-Charles M Schultz    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2011, 11:22:27 PM »

It's Peeeeee----ee-e-e-etey!!      What a nice, welcome sight after sitting through another trial day.  

He is so photogenic, lol 
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »

OMG!! My knees are weak........... I'm a major sucker for dogs, and that face would make me empty my pockets and refrigerator, for sure!!! Wool him for me, Klaas!!!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #351 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »

I will third that 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #352 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him!!! 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »

I can't help but smile when I look at this picture of Petey.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »

I have two woodpeckers that are literally EATING my deck!!! 

I'm serious! This started just 3 days ago........... and LOOK!!

This is my deck:

These two are the culprits (taken from bathroom window on Zoom so quality sucks) See the rips in the top hand rail?

Now, look at what they have done in three days all along the top handrail!

And here one is in action!! (again, from window) Look at the damage!!

I don't know what to do! They've gotten so brazen that they don't fly away when I peck on the window!
It's illegal to shoot them......... I'm not sure I could do that anyway, but I can't afford to "feed the birds"!

Help!! Any suggestions??

Signed: Pecked off from Tennessee
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »

CBB- 

It looks like the peckerwoods woodpeckers are going after deck rail.  I wonder if it could be bug infested?  Look closely at it.  See any larvae (sorry, I know we've about had enough of bugs and larvae)
http://www.wildbirdshop.com/Birding/feedfaq.html
 ::snipping2::
Question:  How can I keep woodpeckers from eating my wooden house?
Answer:  Vinyl siding!  Smile
   Seriously, woodpeckers don't eat wood.  There are three reasons that they might be pecking on your house.  Either they are drumming to declare their territory, making a hole for a nest, or harvesting termites or other bugs.  Are they just making noise, and lots of it and really loud?  That would be drumming.  They typically like something really resonant to drum on.  I've also heard of them drumming on metal stovepipes and gutters if the resonance is right.  A piece of hard, dry wood oriented vertically and nailed at the bottom only might give them something more attractive to drum on.  You should probably roughen it so they have something to grip.  You may have to put it under an eve or something to keep it dry.
   If they are making one round hole in the siding, they are making a nest.  You may have to put up a woodpecker nest box nearby and cover over the hole they've been making in the house.  You could even mount the nest box right over the hole.  If they've already completed the hole and laid eggs you might as well let them hatch and fledge because they won't be doing any more damage.  After a few weeks they will leave the nest and then you can go cover it.
   If they are making lots of small holes in your siding or breaking off loose shakes, then the woodpecker probably isn't the real problem, it is just an indicator.  Woodpeckers eat bugs and prefer termites, bark beetle larvae, carpenter bees and so on.  They are experts at finding them.  If they have found them in your house you need to get the real problem taken care of and the birds will go somewhere else.  In this case you should probably thank them for notifying you of this problem.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »

Thanks, Muffy! Yes, I've had a problem with wood bores (carpenter bees...... no offense, Muffy  ) for a couple of years. John and I argued about it because he kept saying they were great pollinaters. I finally called an exterminator 2 weeks ago. He checked for termites, and found none but did find multiple holes on the underside of the handrail from the bees. He sprayed and got rid of them but said I'd need to plug the holes in August. Obviously the bores have hollowed out sections of the rail and the woodpeckers are going after eggs. I guess that's why I was supposed to plug the holes in August, so the hatchlings couldn't get out?

What's done is done, but I've got to stop those woodpeckers! I'll call back the exterminator!
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »

CBB!! 

OMG!!! 
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »

Considering most woodpeckers are a protected species and the $500 fine that can accompany the wrongful death of said birds, it is in your best interests to handle a woodpecker problem as carefully as possible. The woodpecker control strategies outlined below are presented in order of the least direct to the most direct methods of control, barring any physical or pesticide control measures.

Putting up a suet feeder won’t get rid of woodpeckers, but it will probably distract them from putting more holes in your home. Eric, who works at a wild bird store, has suggested putting the suet feeder close to the area being damaged the most and slowly moving the feeder, day by day, away from that area until the woodpeckers become accustomed to feeding on the suet instead of your house. It has been suggested that keeping suet feeders out in extremely warm weather may inadvertently coat the woodpecker’s plumage with suet, so keep an eye out for any damage the feeder may be doing to its patrons.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »

OH CBB     They sure have gone after the hand rail. 

I know you must be beside yourself with the devastation. But I thank you for the pictures of your deck. It looks so peaceful. After hours of the dang bug guy and Baez I really needed the pictures to bring down my BP.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.