March 28, 2024, 08:06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #58 4/17/11 - 10/16/11  (Read 272865 times)
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #960 on: October 14, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »

Great pictures CBB  Thank you for sharing

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #961 on: October 14, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »

I just got an iPhone4 Smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #962 on: October 15, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »

Would you give us a review as you get hands on experience with it?  I guess I'll just keep my stubby little Android for now.  It's my first smartphone and it took me a while to get used to it.  I was so frustrated at first because it was smarter than I was.     It's a great little computer, but frankly, I don't like it much as a phone to talk on.     When I wanted to buy my Droid, my husband gave me all the reasons not to buy it, including cost.  I bought it anyway and boy, did I hear about it for a while.  And then we would be out somewhere and he needed directions, or needed to look something up etc., etc. and finally I told him to get his own smart phone, which he finally did. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #963 on: October 15, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »

Would you give us a review as you get hands on experience with it?  I guess I'll just keep my stubby little Android for now.  It's my first smartphone and it took me a while to get used to it.  I was so frustrated at first because it was smarter than I was.     It's a great little computer, but frankly, I don't like it much as a phone to talk on.     When I wanted to buy my Droid, my husband gave me all the reasons not to buy it, including cost.  I bought it anyway and boy, did I hear about it for a while.  And then we would be out somewhere and he needed directions, or needed to look something up etc., etc. and finally I told him to get his own smart phone, which he finally did. 

Not sure how to compare adequately.  My old phone was a blackberry and it drove me nuts.  I don't use cell phones often but want them for when we travel and if I need to make a call when I'm at the store OR in emergencies.  Well the BB would turn on if you bumped it and 1/2 the time the battery was dead and I didn't know it until I went to use it.  Luckily never in an emergency but it bothered me alot.  The screen was pretty small too.

The iPhone has more Apps but I don't know if it is more Apps than an android.  I have an Archos (Android) tablet and it has alot of Apps but I do think iPhone may have more.  It's fast and fun.  If I wanted I could upload my entire iTunes library.  I love the MAPS.  I've downloaded a browser "Perfect Browser" and will let you know how it is.  So far it's good and has tabs.  I'm also downloading a few games.  I like the way you turn on the iPhone and iPod with the "slide to unlock" bar.  The email and camera are both nice but not much different than on BB. 

I'm still learning and playing with it.  Smile
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #964 on: October 15, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »

OH, I have Sprint and that's why I decided to get an iPhone now.  My contract was up.  I could have gotten the iPhone4s but it would have cost $100 more.  This phone cost me $99 with a 2yr contract.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #965 on: October 15, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »

Lovely photos CBB

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #966 on: October 15, 2011, 10:29:06 PM »

OH, I have Sprint and that's why I decided to get an iPhone now.  My contract was up.  I could have gotten the iPhone4s but it would have cost $100 more.  This phone cost me $99 with a 2yr contract.

I have the Motorola Android.  You slide the tab to unlock it.  I like that.  The android has lots of apps.  I have not used any of them except the virus protection program.  I have unlimited internet service BUT only good in the state of Kentucky.  So once I go out of KY I switch to the Blackberry which has full service all over from AT&T.  I thought about switching to the IPhone but am holding off (am job hunting as our company is moving to Florida).

CBB, we went to Mammoth Cave today and I can say that the trees are not turning this year like they normally do.  It looks like they are starting to turn brown and I couldn't see any color to them.  The deer were out in full force today though.  We drove down to the Green River ferry and watched the canoes going down the river and watched the ferry crossing back and forth.  We drove to the visitor center but it was full so we turned around and came back out of the park.  My hubby said we will have to make a trip next weekend to the Blue Ridge Parkway so we can see some color.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #967 on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »

I have the Motorola Android.  You slide the tab to unlock it.  I like that.  The android has lots of apps.  I have not used any of them except the virus protection program.  I have unlimited internet service BUT only good in the state of Kentucky.  So once I go out of KY I switch to the Blackberry which has full service all over from AT&T.  I thought about switching to the IPhone but am holding off (am job hunting as our company is moving to Florida).

CBB, we went to Mammoth Cave today and I can say that the trees are not turning this year like they normally do.  It looks like they are starting to turn brown and I couldn't see any color to them.  The deer were out in full force today though.  We drove down to the Green River ferry and watched the canoes going down the river and watched the ferry crossing back and forth.  We drove to the visitor center but it was full so we turned around and came back out of the park.  My hubby said we will have to make a trip next weekend to the Blue Ridge Parkway so we can see some color.

Hi Blue Moon    I use a number of apps on my Android. There are a lot of them available at no cost.  I especially like the free "TeslaLED" light app, that I've used I don't know how many times.   I have Verizon, which has good coverage in Texas.  I could get an upgrade now, but if I wait until the first week of November, I would save $50.00.  I'm just not so sure I want to change phones. I have no idea of what I would want to change to.   Compared to some phones, my Android is thick and heavy which I notice if I'm making calls and that's basically my only complaint.  After almost two years with it, I've adjusted.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #968 on: October 15, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »

San!

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #969 on: October 15, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »

Hi Blue Moon    I use a number of apps on my Android. There are a lot of them available at no cost.  I especially like the free "TeslaLED" light app, that I've used I don't know how many times.   I have Verizon, which has good coverage in Texas.  I could get an upgrade now, but if I wait until the first week of November, I would save $50.00.  I'm just not so sure I want to change phones. I have no idea of what I would want to change to.   Compared to some phones, my Android is thick and heavy which I notice if I'm making calls and that's basically my only complaint.  After almost two years with it, I've adjusted.   

Hi MB, I use the speakerphone on my android and I love it.  I like using the phone that way and I also had it sync with my car system and now when I am in the car and the phone rings all I have to do is press a button on the steering wheel and talk away.  I don't use the phone much but since job hunting I do have any contacts for jobs to call my cell phone.  As for the apps, I just really don't want to use any of the apps.  I have looked over them but other than the antivirus software I haven't downloaded anything else from the apps.  I like the android but I know down the road I will probably go with the Iphone at some point.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #970 on: October 16, 2011, 12:04:42 AM »

Just downloaded a flashlight app, LOL.   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #971 on: October 16, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »

How I use my Android

1.  To make and receive phone calls. I forward my house phone to my cell if I go out.
2.  To play music in my car.  I use Pandora or Amazon MP3.  I just cable to aux. feature and it plays through the radio and use ear buds to listen to music at the gym.
3.  Navigation.  It's free. I don't need a separate GPS device.  (I'm directionally impaired, so this is good for me!)
4.  I use the calendar feature so when I'm at doctor's etc., I can make appt.  I check to see if date open and put it right into my phone and I set it for alarms to remind me of those appointments.
5.  I use the calculator to figure out tips in restaurants, to calculate pricing when shopping.
6.  I keep my shopping list in my phone.  No paper lists to be lost.
7.  I use the TeslaLED as a flashlight.
8.  I use my phone to find the nearest atm or restaurant
9.  I use the Clock as a bedside clock with alarm and I use it as a timer for baking or to remind me to move the sprinklers when watering.
10. I use the camera for photo ops.  It came in handy when I got rear ended in my car last year. I sometimes take a pic of dinner and send it to my son so he'll come down and eat. Smile When I had a pipe leak in my well, I took a pic and went to Home Depot for help.  It also helped me remember how I was supposed to plumb it back.  It's easy to take a pic of parts or serial numbers before heading to the store.  I've also got it so when I take pics with my cell, they go to my photobucket acct. 
11.  I get text alerts in case of emergencies like fires in my area.  I had a pre-evac order, a month ago, but the wind changed direction. My dentist and vet both send me text alert reminders about appts.
12.  If I have to wait around somewhere, I can read books free on my Droid, play Angry Birds or Paper Toss.  Or I can read the news.  Or check  in and read at Scared Monkeys.  
13.  I get texts if there is unusual activity in my bank accounts or if a balance drops below a certain point.
14.  I get email alerts if one of my tenants has a problem.
15. Goggles is a very cool app.  I even took a picture on fabric at IKEA and it told me the name of it and the artist.  
16.  I have everything backed up with Gmail.  Which means I can access not only ph. #'s but addresses, email addy's and any other info.
17.  I have SKYPE on my phone and I can call or receive  at no or little cost, and it doesn't go against minutes. When my husband or son are overseas, they can call me from their computer  and it's free.  
The list goes on.  I mainly keep my phone near for my family.  They know I'm the one person they can call if they need something and that's a lot to me.  I could go without my phone and I have.  But why pay for a cell and not use it?  The more I use mine, the more I get my money's worth.  When I first got my Android, I didn't use it that much.  But over time...  

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:38:41 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #972 on: October 16, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »

I actually wondered it you would do that, Klaas.    

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #973 on: October 16, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »

Let me add, I'm a real dummy when it comes to technology.  I just do easy stuff with my phone.   

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #974 on: October 16, 2011, 12:41:43 AM »

I actually wondered it you would do that, Klaas.    

YES, only my App is called "Flashlight", lol 
crazybabyborg
« Reply #975 on: October 16, 2011, 02:18:35 AM »

Geez................ you guys are so far ahead of me!! I just recently got my very first cell phone with an actual keyboard!    Before that I was still having to text by going through the numbers first! 

I've never had a Blackberry, or an Android, so the iPhone is Greek to me. I can't get the internet on my phone. As long as my phone will connect to the bluetooth in my car so I can talk without holding the phone, and I have a keyboard to text with........... hey, I'm happy!   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #976 on: October 16, 2011, 02:22:10 AM »

One more thing............... I've been too embarrassed to ask, but what the heck.............

What is an angry bird, anyway?   
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #977 on: October 16, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »

This will be my next phone I will be looking to get when my contract is up.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #978 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »

San!

Hi Muffy.  Hope to see everyone in the Dancing with the Stars thread tomorrow. 
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #979 on: October 16, 2011, 09:01:33 AM »

How I use my Android

1.  To make and receive phone calls. I forward my house phone to my cell if I go out.
2.  To play music in my car.  I use Pandora or Amazon MP3.  I just cable to aux. feature and it plays through the radio and use ear buds to listen to music at the gym.
3.  Navigation.  It's free. I don't need a separate GPS device.  (I'm directionally impaired, so this is good for me!)
4.  I use the calendar feature so when I'm at doctor's etc., I can make appt.  I check to see if date open and put it right into my phone and I set it for alarms to remind me of those appointments.
5.  I use the calculator to figure out tips in restaurants, to calculate pricing when shopping.
6.  I keep my shopping list in my phone.  No paper lists to be lost.
7.  I use the TeslaLED as a flashlight.
8.  I use my phone to find the nearest atm or restaurant
9.  I use the Clock as a bedside clock with alarm and I use it as a timer for baking or to remind me to move the sprinklers when watering.
10. I use the camera for photo ops.  It came in handy when I got rear ended in my car last year. I sometimes take a pic of dinner and send it to my son so he'll come down and eat. Smile When I had a pipe leak in my well, I took a pic and went to Home Depot for help.  It also helped me remember how I was supposed to plumb it back.  It's easy to take a pic of parts or serial numbers before heading to the store.  I've also got it so when I take pics with my cell, they go to my photobucket acct. 
11.  I get text alerts in case of emergencies like fires in my area.  I had a pre-evac order, a month ago, but the wind changed direction. My dentist and vet both send me text alert reminders about appts.
12.  If I have to wait around somewhere, I can read books free on my Droid, play Angry Birds or Paper Toss.  Or I can read the news.  Or check  in and read at Scared Monkeys.  
13.  I get texts if there is unusual activity in my bank accounts or if a balance drops below a certain point.
14.  I get email alerts if one of my tenants has a problem.
15. Goggles is a very cool app.  I even took a picture on fabric at IKEA and it told me the name of it and the artist.  
16.  I have everything backed up with Gmail.  Which means I can access not only ph. #'s but addresses, email addy's and any other info.
17.  I have SKYPE on my phone and I can call or receive  at no or little cost, and it doesn't go against minutes. When my husband or son are overseas, they can call me from their computer  and it's free.  
The list goes on.  I mainly keep my phone near for my family.  They know I'm the one person they can call if they need something and that's a lot to me.  I could go without my phone and I have.  But why pay for a cell and not use it?  The more I use mine, the more I get my money's worth.  When I first got my Android, I didn't use it that much.  But over time...  

Thanks Muffy.  I will look at this one too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.