April 20, 2024, 03:55:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clinton to University of Miami students: No. 1 priority is I  (Read 1691 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 04, 2007, 06:51:11 PM »

Gee, I guess Bill Clinton didn't get the memo about how we need to lose in Iraq and wreck the economy to insure a DNC victory in 2008.  This is the exact OPPOSITE of what his party is now saying in CONGRESS, they are trying to defund troops under enemy fire.

Of course, with the exception of the Monica Wars, Bubba, too, did cut and run at every confrontation.  And what was Sandy Berger so desperate to hide from the 9/11 Commission he sneaked things out in his underpants?  Plenty, I'd have to guess.

Even Hillary gave a 90 day limit for troop withdrawal regardless of things on the ground.  She also said we should THREATEN the Iraqi president, her exact word.

I hate it when Hillary keeps saying this is not what WE did and this and that about WE as though she were actually formerly POTUS or even privy to classified meetings, etc.  She wasn't.

She also wasn't authorized to have those hundred FBI files that mysteriously turned up in her office.  A Nixon staffer went to prison for having just one.  That's where she should be as well if that's the rule.  But somebody needs to clue Bubba in that we are supposed to LOSE in Iraq!  Otherwise, things are not looking too good for the hopefuls.

----------
Clinton to University of Miami students: No. 1 priority is Iraq

By Madeline Baró Diaz
Miami Bureau

March 2, 2007

CORAL GABLES -- If he were president today, Bill Clinton says, his No. 1 priority would be stabilizing Iraq by following the recommendations of the Iraq Study Group, a bipartisan panel that wants more diplomacy and a withdrawal of U.S. troops from the country.

In remarks Thursday at the University of Miami's 2007 Spring Convocation, the former president suggested an abrupt pullout by the United States was not the answer.

"For all of you that would like us to leave tomorrow, keep in mind the United Nations policy is ... we've got to try to hold this country together if we can to make it work and not let it become the new Afghanistan for terror," he said.

Clinton spoke at the annual campus event at the invitation of UM President Donna Shalala, who was secretary of Health and Human Services in his administration. Shalala introduced Clinton as "one of the most remarkable and sophisticated political leaders of our time."

In turn, Clinton praised Shalala and joked, "unlike me, she has a presidency without term limits." He answered pre-selected questions written by students and posed to him by the university president.

Clinton said Afghanistan would be his second priority. That nation has seen a rise in violence by Taliban militants, five years after a U.S-led invasion toppled the country's Taliban regime. On Wednesday, a suicide bomber attacked the main gate of a military base in Afghanistan where Vice President Dick Cheney had spent the night. Twenty-three people were killed, including two Americans.

"We cannot afford to let the Taliban and al-Qaida overthrow President [Hamid] Karzai, a genuinely popular, moderate, Muslim democracy," he said. "It could go bad and it will be bad for you personally. It will affect our security here."

Clinton, whose wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., is running for president, said he missed the presidency. But he enjoys the humanitarian work he does with the William J. Clinton Foundation, which he established after he left office in 2001.

"The dumbest thing in the world is for any person that used to do something and now does something else to waste a single day of their life wishing they could still do what they used to do instead of making the most of what they're doing now," he said.

Clinton spoke about the need for health care reform, the interdependency of countries in the 21st century and the need for reducing the United States' dependence on oil.

He also encouraged his audience of about 7,000 people, most of them students, to vote. He said while more young people are voting, they are still underrepresented in presidential elections.

"It's ironic because you've got more at stake," Clinton said. "I have more yesterdays than tomorrows. Almost a hundred percent of you have more tomorrows than yesterdays."

After the speech, several students said they found Clinton inspiring.

"I thought that it was illuminating in a way and almost frightening at the possibility of what could happen if we don't make the right choices in the future," said Brooke Bloom, a third-year law student.

Madeline Baró Diaz can be reached at mbaro@sun-sentinel.com or 305-810-5007.

Copyright © 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

http://tinyurl.com/2cwkzk

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.