March 29, 2024, 02:37:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama - Tribal Rights v. State's Rights  (Read 1795 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: December 21, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »

III. 1 Strengthening the Government-to-Government Relationship

As President Obama noted: ―Washington can’t – and shouldn’t – dictate a policy agenda for Indian Country. Tribal nations do better when they make their own decisions.‖ The record over the forty years since the United States adopted its policy of greater tribal autonomy is clear 3 – tribal self-determination has enabled tribal governments to establish, develop, and enhance tribal institutions and infrastructure ranging from those addressing the health, education, and welfare of their communities to those such as tribal courts, fire protection, and law enforcement. The clear lesson is that empowering tribes to deal with the challenges they face and that taking advantage of the available opportunities will result in tribal communities that thrive.

The United States is therefore pleased to support the Declaration’s call to promote the development of a new and distinct international concept of self-determination specific to indigenous peoples. The Declaration’s call is to promote the development of a concept of self-determination for indigenous peoples that is different from the existing right of self-determination in international law. The purpose of the Declaration was not to change or define the existing right of self-determination under international law. Further, as explained in Article 46, the Declaration does not imply any right to take any action that would dismember or impair, totally or in part, the territorial integrity or political unity of sovereign and independent States. For the United States, the Declaration’s concept of self-determination is consistent with the United States’ existing recognition of, and relationship with, federally recognized tribes as political entities that have inherent sovereign powers of self-governance. This recognition is the basis for the special legal and political relationship, including the government-to-government relationship, established between the United States and federally recognized tribes, pursuant to which the United States supports, protects, and promotes tribal governmental authority over a broad range of internal and territorial affairs, including membership, culture, language, religion, education, information, social welfare, community and public safety, family relations, economic activities, lands and resource management, environment and entry by non-members, as well as ways and means for financing these autonomous governmental functions.

For some reason the Obama administration doesn't feel the need to allow individual states to maintain the cultures of their citizens. 

The United States recognizes that some of the most grievous acts committed by the United States and many other States against indigenous peoples were with regard to their lands, territories, and natural resources. For this reason, the United States has taken many steps to ensure the protection of Native American lands and natural resources, and to provide redress where appropriate. It is also for this reason that the United States stresses the importance of the lands, territories, resources and redress provisions of the Declaration in calling on all States to recognize the rights of indigenous peoples to their lands, territories, and natural resources. Consistent with its understanding of the intention of the States that negotiated and adopted the Declaration, the United States understands these provisions to call for the existence of national laws and mechanisms for the full legal recognition of the lands, territories, and natural resources indigenous peoples currently possess by reason of traditional ownership, occupation, or use as well as those that they have otherwise acquired. The Declaration further calls upon States to recognize, as appropriate, additional interests of indigenous peoples in traditional lands, territories, and natural resources. Consistent with that understanding, the United States intends to continue to work so that the laws and mechanisms it has put in place to recognize existing, and accommodate the acquisition of additional, land, territory, and natural resource rights under U.S. law function properly and to facilitate, as appropriate, access by indigenous peoples to the traditional lands, territories and natural resources in which they have an interest.

Giving it all back?  Herding the non-native Americans into urban ghettos?  Progress for America?

As President Obama has recognized, the indigenous peoples of North America have ―invaluable cultural knowledge and rich traditions, which continue to thrive in Native American communities across our country.‖ The many facets of Native American cultures – including their religions, languages, traditions and arts – need to be protected, as reflected in multiple provisions of the Declaration.

For some reason, Obama and his admin. don't seem find any value in the culture, religion, language, tradition and arts of folks on Main Street.  Main Street seems to be disposable, especially after all their wealth, savings, and lives have been taken by taxes, inflation, debt, Obamacare, and other government regulation and law.

read more here - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/153223.pdf

Why doesn't Obama value everyone's contribution?  Everyone's right as a human being?

Just my humble opinions.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »

Perhaps most significantly, the Obama Administration has acquired over 34,000 acres of land in trust on behalf of Indian tribes, which is a 225 percent increase since 2006. Lands held in trust for tribes are used for housing, economic development, government services, cultural and natural resource protection, and other critical purposes. Recovering and protecting the tribes’ land base is a hallmark objective of this Administration. After the recent Supreme Court decision in Carcieri v. Salazar, Congress introduced, and the Administration has fully supported, legislation to reaffirm the authority of the United States to take land into trust on behalf of all federally recognized Indian tribes.

Who did they take the land from?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »

I've also read some suggesting that Americans with European ancestors should just pack up and go home.  Exactly where is home?

In the old movie 'Short Circuit' someone asked one of the characters where his family was from, he replied "Cincinnati" (from memory) despite his accent.

Should all non Native American's go home?  Where exactly is home?  How do they propose to divi up the multiracial folks?

What if no one in Europe wants these folks returning to the land of their ancestors?

Africa?  Maybe Africa is full too?

What is my compensation for all my trouble?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »

It reminds me of Nazi Germany's telling Jews (and others) to leave, and make them unwelcome.  It didn't matter where the German's went, all land seemed to belong to Hitler.  First they destroy businesses through a number of means, marked these people, refused to allow them to leave, when they could find a place to go...

Then, they were rounded up, property stolen, and killed - millions.  How long will it take for Obama to destroy the majority of Americans?

Who in the Obama admin supervises the selection process?  Holder?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.