April 23, 2024, 01:55:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Easter Bunny  (Read 7650 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: March 07, 2007, 12:42:37 AM »

I am hearing about the attempt to ban the Easter Bunny. Oh no!  As a Jewish girl, I loved Easter. It took me many years to learn it was a religious holiday. They want to call him the Spring Bunny.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:11:50 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
I am hearing about the attempt to ban the Easter Bunny. Oh no!  As a Jewish girl, I loved Easter. It took me many years to learn it was a religious holiday. They want to call him the Spring Bunny.

No way!  Are you serious?  The Spring Bunny?  What is this world coming to?
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:53:18 AM »

No Father Christmas, No Easter Bunny.  What is next?  The Tooth Fairy?

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 05:41:06 AM »

LV - Both "Passover" and "Easter" derived from the word "Pesach" ...

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:14:31 AM »

I'm keepin' our Easter Bunny! There would be no Bunny of its ilk without Easter, so anyone who does not like it can just do without having a Bunny. Are we to do away with the Easter lily? The Easter cross? Why not just abolish the holiday all together? While at it, why not also make Christian bookstores change their names to something generic and bland? Oh! Let's not forget the churches, too! All sermons and prayer are now to make no reference to Jesus Christ! We would not want to offend anyone, now would we?

Are we going to politically correct ourselves out of all diversity? No indication of religion, gender, ethnicity, age, etc.?

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:17:33 AM »

p.s. While I do not want anyone's views/position/belief forced upon me, I am passionate about each individual's right to be and choose what they are.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:50:15 PM »

Dear Msmarple,

Very interesting what you wrote. Since I grew up abroad with the US Army, I never knew I was Jewish until my mother left my father when I was six and we came back to CA to live with my orthodox grandparents.

I know Passover and Pesach mean the same thing ... one in English and one in Hebrew. I did not know that "Easter" was derived from "Pesach."  Passover was the commemoration of the Israelites' physical deliverance from bondage in Egypt. The last supper was really a Passover Seder as Jesus was a Jew.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 11:16:30 PM »

I will say Easter bunny till the cows come home... and I proudly say Merry Christmas...

the Constitution does not include the right to never be offended and quite frankly why does something that is meant with good intention offend anyone?

I was once completely lambasted for saying "God Bless You" when a co worker sneezed, and they told me for a good five minutes in no uncertain terms about it...

so the next time they sneezed, I looked at them and said

What the bloody hell?  Keep your damn germs to yourself... I hope you have lysol to spray now that you have polluted the air with your germs...

she looked at me in utter amazement and shock.... so I smiled sweetly and reminded her that God bless you , which came with nice intentions "offended her"....  

she never complained to me about my lack of diversity again.... and she even later admitted to me that she had learned a very valuable lesson about being offended when none was meant....

so I refuse to shop in stores that do not honor my rights and I will loudly proclaim HAPPY EASTER and mention the EASTER BUNNY... this holiday is even more meaningful to the Christian faith than any other.... it is the pinnacle of our religion and I am not about to let anyone tell me that I cannot use the word...

Ok... climbing off the soap box... as y'all can tell this is an issue I get soooooooooooo mad I am incoherent about...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 12:39:24 AM »

Ditto Mrs Red !

I continue to stand with the girl.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 01:54:29 AM »

Dear Msmarple,

Very interesting what you wrote. Since I grew up abroad with the US Army, I never knew I was Jewish until my mother left my father when I was six and we came back to CA to live with my orthodox grandparents.

I know Passover and Pesach mean the same thing ... one in English and one in Hebrew. I did not know that "Easter" was derived from "Pesach."  Passover was the commemoration of the Israelites' physical deliverance from bondage in Egypt. The last supper was really a Passover Seder as Jesus was a Jew.

Quite Right, LV! That's exactly right! I Love that Jews and Christians look to and remember the same Father on this Holy Day, and that as a Christian, I too can celebrate what our God did in Egypt for His chosen people with those of the Jewsih Faith.

As a matter of fact, those of us who accept Jesus as the promised Messiah are ever mindful of that Exodus on Easter, as I'm sure Jesus was on that fateful Holy Day. Just as death "passed over" the families in Egypt who had placed the blood of sacrifice over their doors, it was no "accidental timing" that His blood was shed in sacrifice for us on that day of remebrance so that we would not taste death through Him.

The Passover Seder is a beautiful "re-telling" of the events around the Exodus, and has an oral tradition that has preserved the accuracy and meaning for hundreds of generations. I've had the honor of participating in a Passover Sedar and was overwhelmed at the reverance, and of God's handwriting that I recognized as a Christian.

From the candle that "Mother" lit to begin, my heart responded in recognition that the light of the world would come through a woman. As I looked at the unleavened bread with the stripes of baking, I saw the only picture of Christ we have; leavening represents sin, and no sin would be found in Him. By His stripes we are healed. I felt my skin tingle when the bread was "hidden" and wrapped in the cloth, and brought forth with the third glass of wine. So too, was Christ entombed and came forth on the third day.

As a Christian, I was aware that as He hung from the cross, somehow bearing the weight of my sin, paying the justice that I have earned, enduring for the first time in His life loosing the "eye contact" with the Father, as our Loving and Just God had to turn away not from the Son, but from the sin, simultaneously in the temple, blood from unblemished lambs was being poured out in atonement for sin on this High Holy Day.

How beautifully God taught us that the accepted atonement for sin is blood. Through the Sedar Supper that all Jews, including Christ and His disciples, had just partaken, they carried the fresh reminder that the blood was required for death to "pass us by". As a Christian, I accept His work on the cross and Him as my personal Savior. As a Christian, I believe He is the Lamb of God: His pure life given and accepted by the Father as the sacrifice for humanity to be reconciled to Himself, and that through His blood, my sins are forgiven. I'm called to stand at the foot of the cross and accept my Savior. I'm called to not stay there but pick up my cross and follow Him.

I honor the Jewish God of Passover, for He is my God. There is no political correctness that will stop the heart's cry to honor what the soul knows. Would anyone call a Menorah a "Holiday Candlabra"? Is it a Spring Bunny because "Easter" is unacceptable?

It is Passover. It is Easter. It is all the love, power, deliverence, promise, life, and hope, those words encompass.  
Shalom. God Bless.
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:20:31 AM »

Oh I get WAYyyy too worked up over isssues like this too..so I will just say Ditto to what MrsRed said.

BTW- they can't prove there is no tooth fairy in my home, so they better "not go there".

Sincerely, SeaMonkey (who is the Easter Bunny's under water helper)
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 01:38:56 AM »

Friend of mine cracked me up one day ...

She wondered why, in all those paintings of The Last Supper, "fluffy bread" is depicted - when it's supposed to be unleavened bread!

Doesn't sound so funny - guess you had to be there. It was such an off-the-wall, but astute, observation. (Plus, she got me at "fluffy bread" ... )

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 07:59:35 AM »

I too agree with Mrs Red. I don't try to make others change their ways of celebrating holidays so who gives them the right to tell me what I can or can't say.
IMO the people who start this crap REALLY need to get a life.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 09:28:27 AM »

can we still hide easter eggs? Confused  Rolling Eyes
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »

This is insane!!
  Somene told me that a girl that worked in Wal MArt got fired for saying Merry Christmas..isnt that a crock?
 Now no Easter Buny? WTH?
 I agree with Mrs Red.. great post!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 12:11:20 PM »

we're not giving up our bunnies  Laughing

I continue to stand with the girl.
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 12:21:56 PM »

I love the Easter Bunnies and Easter Chicks,and I will say so.To those going to temple,I will say happy Passover and strangely,they wish me happy Easter.So to heck with pc.I agree 100% with Mrs Red on this issue.CAT

Live with hope,looking for justice
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »

The day someone tells me I shouldn't say Easter Bunny I will tell them right where to go.

I will always use Easter Bunny and also say Merry Christmas and there is nothing that people can do to stop me.

This kind of stuff gets on my last nerve and people should apply their energy to different causes.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »

CBB,

Your post was absolutely wonderful. You explained the whole thing in the most understandable of terms.

Love You,
Louise

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 09:18:28 AM »

Oh, my!!!!   That would be terrible in that I might be responsible for extinguishing a beloved event for many children.  You see, I look forward to the the new "spring bunnies" after a long winter of fasting.  I pounce on anything that moves.  That is, except, the official "Easter Bunny".  That illustrious rodent I give a free pass to every year.

Now if they change that there may be no more candy baskets or eggs to find.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.