March 28, 2024, 05:11:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hailey Dunn 13 missing from Colorado City, Texas #1 1/03/11 - 1/12/11  (Read 387458 times)
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »

NewsWest 9
Howard County residents have joined the search for Hailey and are using horses and ATVs to search around Moss Lake.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NewsWest-9/

Moss Lake in Howard County is 33 miles away to the west on I- 20.

"The investigation has narrowed to the neighborhoods and vicinity of Billie Jean Dunn's home," Kampfer said.

Moss Lake is not in the vicinity of Billie's house.  This gets more and more confusing.

If Hailey's friends haven't come forth with any information about her, I feel things are not looking good. She is of the age that would share her feelings and her associations with her friends. This really sounds way, way bad for the outcome. 

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »

Which of these two articles is the truth?  I'm going with "Polygraphs Unconfirmed".  JMHO The reason is, someone in LE or whatever may have let Billie Dunn think either she or her boyfriend were deceptive in order to play one against the other and etc.  They can do that. 

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/06/ng.01.html
NANCY GRACE
Missing Cheerleader`s Mom and Boyfriend Failed Polygraph
Aired January 6, 2011 - 20:00   ET

NANCY GRACE, HOST: ... Billie Dunn, thanks for being with us. What happened in the polygraph?

BILLIE DUNN: .... The first Friday they had it set up for us to take, we had taken Ativan the night before to go to sleep. They didn`t tell us we couldn`t have anxiety medicine. So when we were able to get it set up again -- Shawn had actually called them and asked them if he could come down and take it yet, and they said yes. They came, picked him up. He took his. I went in. They told me he failed it. I lost it, of course. Then they took me over to the courthouse. I took a polygraph test. I failed it.

<snipped>

GRACE: Let me ask you this, Billie Dunn. Where is your boyfriend?

BILLIE DUNN: He went back to his grandma`s house.

GRACE: Why?

BILLIE DUNN: As soon as I found out he failed the test, I told him I didn`t want him back at my house. And now I don`t know what to think anymore. I would just rather he stay there until she comes home or they find her and we clear this up.

OR

http://www.ccitynews.net/news/story/2011/01/polygraphs-unconfirmed
Polygraphs unconfirmed

By Staff
Posted January 7, 2011 - 11:29am

In a press conference this morning, City Manager Pete Kampfer stated that polygraphs results were unconfirmed.

"It is my understanding that they (task force) did not advise whether a person passed or failed," Kampfer said.

Kampfer further stated that  not informing interviewees of the results of their polygraph tests is standard law enforcement procedure and to his knowledge, none of the people involved  had been informed of the results.

DPS Trooper Sparky Dean said three DPS operators and one FBI operator had administered polygraphs. "Information between parties is not even announced on who took the test or who did not," he said. "Even they don't have knowledge of who passed or failed."

Rumors that the investigation has narrowed to persons of interest are also unfounded.

"The investigation has narrowed to the neighborhoods and vicinity of Billie Jean Dunn's home," Kampfer said.

No arrests have been made and all witnesses who have come in for questioning did so voluntarily and were released afterward, according to Dean.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:11:22 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »

Polygraphs unconfirmed

By Staff

In a press conference this morning, City Manager Pete Kampfer stated that polygraphs results were unconfirmed.

"It is my understanding that they (task force) did not advise whether a person passed or failed," Kampfer said.

Kampfer further stated that  not informing interviewees of the results of their polygraph tests is standard law enforcement procedure and to his knowledge, none of the people involved  had been informed of the results.

DPS Trooper Sparky Dean said three DPS operators and one FBI operator had administered polygraphs. "Information between parties is not even announced on who took the test or who did not," he said. "Even they don't have knowledge of who passed or failed."

Rumors that the investigation has narrowed to persons of interest are also unfounded.

No arrests have been made and all witnesses who have come in for questioning did so voluntarily and were released afterward, according to Dean.

Could it be that Billie was informed that Shawn and her both failed the polygraphs but proper protocol was not followed in the revealing of the results?  Could it be that City Manager Pete Kampfer is attempting damage control?

I cannot comprehend what Billie's motive for lying.

Janet

++++++

quote author=Tamikosmom link=topic=9231.msg1286682#msg1286682 date=1294422754]

NANCY GRACE
Aired January 6, 2011 - 20:00   ET

NANCY GRACE, HOST: ... Billie Dunn, thanks for being with us. What happened in the polygraph?

BILLIE DUNN: .... The first Friday they had it set up for us to take, we had taken Ativan the night before to go to sleep. They didn`t tell us we couldn`t have anxiety medicine. So when we were able to get it set up again -- Shawn had actually called them and asked them if he could come down and take it yet, and they said yes. They came, picked him up. He took his. I went in. They told me he failed it. I lost it, of course. Then they took me over to the courthouse. I took a polygraph test. I failed it.

<snipped>

BILLIE DUNN: As soon as I found out he failed the test, I told him I didn`t want him back at my house. And now I don`t know what to think anymore. I would just rather he stay there until she comes home or they find her and we clear this up.

[/quote]

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »

Texas teen Hailey Dunn still missing

Texas teen Hailey Dunn still missing
Published 01/07/2011 - 11:38 a.m. CST 
TheRecordLive

Colorado City-  Texas law enforcement agencies, the Texas Rangers and the FBI are searching for clues in the case of a 13-year-old Colorado City Middle School cheerleader who has been missing since December 27.

Hailey Darlene Dunn was reported missing by her mother after she failed to return home the day after she was supposed to spend the night at a friend’s house.

Residents of Colorada City are being asked to gather at the Mitchell County Courthouse in at 2 p.m. on Friday to create search parties. The residents would join the efforts of 12 law enforcement and missing child agencies that have combined efforts to work on the case of the missing teen.

Her mother, Billie Dunn, thought she was spending the night at a friend’s home during the Christmas holiday break, but she did not return home the next day.

Hailey is 5’1, 120 pounds, has hazel eyes, and brown hair with blond streaks.

When she disappeared, she was wearing navy blue sweat pants, a light-colored short sleeve T-shirt, and pink and white tennis shoes.

Although her disappearance is suspicious, it does not meet the requirement to issue an Amber Alert in Texas, police said.

The Texas Rangers and Colorado City police have searched Hailey’s home and surrounding areas. According to CBS affiliate KOSA, rangers were seen carrying garbage bags from her house into their squad cars.

Authorities are also searching the phone records of Hailey’s mother and her mother’s boyfriend, Shawn Adkins. Both had failed polygraph tests on Thursday.

http://therecordlive.com/article/Beyond_the_County/Beyond_the_County/Texas_teen_Hailey_Dunn_still_missing/59476
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »

FRIDAY UPDATE 11:00AM Hailey's Mother Admits to Failing Polygraph 1/7/11  (with video)

UPDATE - FRIDAY 11:00am

Colorado City, Texas -

On the tenth day since 13 year old Colorado City teen, Hailey Dunn went missing, her mother admitted that both she and her boyfriend, Shawn Adkins failed polygraph tests.

Before a national audience on the Nancy Grace Show Dunn said she and Shawn did not pass lie detector tests administered to them on Wednesday.

She said Shawn refused two tests before taking a third that he failed.

Billie Dunn says she was told that Shawn failed and then immediately given one herself that she failed.

Dunn told Grace that after Shawn failed, she questioned him and told him to leave.

Adkins said he was going to Dunn, Texas to stay with relatives.

Despite at least two failed polygraph tests and the absence of Shawn Adkins, authorities have still not officially named any suspects.

Beau Berman: "How is he (Adkins) not a suspect?"

City Manager Pete Kampfer: "Well that's a good question and he may be."

Bille Dunn says she was questioned for 10 straight hours on Wednesday after Shawn failed his polygraph and the Texas Rangers searched her Chestnut street home.

The FBI, Texas Rangers and Department of Public Safety helicopters are all investigating now.

But their efforts didn't begin until a week after Hailey first went missing.

Beau Berman: "Why weren't those things happening a week ago?"

DPS Trooper Sparky Dean: "I think as this progresses, you know, obviously the local folks hoped that Hailey would be at somebody's house".

Thursday night experts on the Nancy Grace Show were highly critical of the Colorado City Police Department's response.

Initially, the police chief classified Hailey as a "runaway" when she disappeared December 27th.

The spokesperson for the Police Department and Colorado City, Pete Kampfer, is in turn upset that the state has refused to issue an Amber Alert despite at least three requests from the city.

Beau Berman: "How frustrating is that?"

Kampfer: "It's really frustrating. Again, we have limited resources and impact. We're a remote town in west Texas."

DPS helicopter surveillance did not appear to uncover any new leads Thursday as it combed Colorado City by air.

But several rumors surfaced Thursday afternoon, one claiming that Hailey was found behind the ALCO store in town.

While the hearts of the more than 4000 Colorado City residents were hoping they were true, the rumors proved false.

For Billie, the entire ordeal is a nightmare.

"We've got to have her back. We can't live without her. She's my baby", says Dunn.

While Hailey hasn't been found alive, authorities say they're happy she hasn't been found dead.

A bright spot is that the Lamar sign company is posting Hailey's photo and details of her disappearance on electronic billboards across Interstate 20 and across the state.

The electronic billboard on highway 191 between Midland and Odessa is also reportedly part of the initiative.

At this point Colorado City residents and the rest of the nation are hoping for a few more good signs.

"We talk about how much the law enforcement is involved, but hey, you've got John Doe citizen up and down the roadways in every direction you point that are out there just as much as we are looking and helping to find her so it's going to happen, Hailey's going to be returned", says Trooper Dean.

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=23235
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »

Update: Search Parties Will Go House-To-House In Colorado City

COLORADO CITY, Texas -- Search parties will be going house-to-house knocking on doors across the northern side of Colorado City Friday afternoon.

The searchers will be canvassing the entire area surrounding Hailey Dunn's northside home, starting at the city limits and sweeping through neighborhoods, asking questions of residents and searching for any information about missing teenager Hailey Dunn.

Residents in Colorado City are being asked to join the search. Volunteers are being asked to gather at the Mitchell County Courthouse in Colorado City at 2 p.m. to create search parties to conduct the search across the northern portions of the city.

The volunteers will join the efforts of 12 law enforcement and missing child agencies, including the FBI, that have combined efforts to work on the case of the missing Colorado Middle School student.

Hailey, 13, has been missing since Dec. 27.

Since the story was first reported on Dec. 29 by KTXS, the case almost daily has received increasing attention – from law enforcement agencies and the media, including two broadcasts on the HLN Network’s “Nancy Grace Show.”

Hailey’s mother, Billie Dunn, said Thursday night that both she and her live-in boyfriend Shawn Adkins had failed polygraph tests.

Adkins failed the test first, she said. Then after being told about Adkin’s failure, Billie Dunn said she failed the test also. Both said they had taken medication that may have affected the test results.

Extended family members have made unconfirmed and conflicting statements that other family members have also failed polygraph tests related to the case.

Billie Dunn said she asked Adkins to leave her home because she "didn't know what to think anymore." According to Billie Dunn, Adkins was now staying with his grandmother.

MORE....

http://www.ktxs.com/news/26400628/detail.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2011, 02:09:38 PM »

Help Find Hailey Dunn - Missing From Texas January 7, 2011 - TEXAS EQUUSEARCH has been contacted by Hailey's family and is enroute to Colorado City to search for Hailey! Thank you Texas Equusearch!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Find-Hailey-Dunn-Missing-From-Texas/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »

UPDATE: Law enforcement going door-to-door in probe of missing Colorado City teen

COLORADO CITY -- Law enforcement officials in Colorado City are back on foot today.

Wednesday, officials discontinued a foot search for missing Colorado City middle school student Hailey Dunn to conduct a helicopter search Thursday.

Today, City Manager Pete Kampfer said, officers are back on the street to conduct door-to-door interviews. Plain-clothed officers dispatched from a temporary command center this morning to canvass the town in search of clues. Senior Department of Public Safety Trooper Sparky Dean said officers will be going door-to-door in the northern part of Colorado City and will be looking for physical evidence and general information.

"We're hoping they'll be voluntary in nature," Kampfer said of community members.

Officers have been told to look specifically for the missing teen, Dean said, adding authorities aren't interested in learning of any illegal activities unrelated to Hailey Dunn's disappearance.

"Part of finding Hailey is finding out where she is not," Dean said.

Dean said officials are asking those questioned in homes if they know anything about Hailey Dunn.

Meanwhile, A grassroots effort has been started by community members to search for Hailey Dunn. The group is scheduled to meet at the Mitchell County Courthouse at 2 p.m. today.

Hailey Darlene Dunn, 13, was last seen by her mother’s live-in boyfriend, Shawn Adkins, on Dec. 27. Shawn reported he was told by Hailey around 3:15 p.m. that she would be walking to her dad’s house then spending the night with a friend, Mary Beth Garcia. Hailey’s father Clint Dunn said she never visited him that day and that Mary Beth's mother, Cecilia Garcia, said she never knew of Hailey's plans to spend the night.

As of Thursday afternoon, nine agencies were working in Colorado City on the case, including the FBI, Texas Department of Public Safety, the Child Advisory Center and secret service.

Hailey’s parents appeared on Nancy Grace last night and gave a statement to media at their home immediately following the show.

Clint Dunn said at that time he was in the dark concerning further investigation.

Billie Jean Dunn said during the TV show that she and Shawn had failed polygraph tests given to them by law enforcement on Wednesday.

Kampfer said today it is the policy of federal and state officials to not provide feedback of the passing or failing of polygraph tests. He said the two were polygraphed but they weren't advised but they weren't advised as to whether they passed or failed.

Billie Jean Dunn said she had put all her hope in the polygraphs clearing her and Shawn’s names. That confidence, she said, is now lost.

“There's no way that I would ever protect anybody,” she said. “If I thought he had anything to do with it, I would have came forward a long time ago.”

When Billie Jenn Dunn heard the test results, she said, she began to lose hope that Hailey would ever come home.

“One way or another,” she said, “somebody took her, somebody snatched her off the street. At this point it's 10 days later, and I don't have a good feeling at all.”

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/jan/07/law-enforcement-going-door--door-investigation-mis/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »

If I understand correctly:

LE is going door to door to look for info and evidence today around the Dunn house

There is a search that is organized by citizens today as well and people are asked to gather at 2:00

TES is on its way today as well
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »

Update: Search Parties Will Go House-To-House In Colorado City

COLORADO CITY, Texas -- Search parties will be going house-to-house knocking on doors across the northern side of Colorado City Friday afternoon.

The searchers will be canvassing the entire area surrounding Hailey Dunn's northside home, starting at the city limits and sweeping through neighborhoods, asking questions of residents and searching for any information about missing teenager Hailey Dunn.

Residents in Colorado City are being asked to join the search. Volunteers are being asked to gather at the Mitchell County Courthouse in Colorado City at 2 p.m. to create search parties to conduct the search across the northern portions of the city.

City Manager Pete Kampfer, remaining hopeful, said, "We're positive and encouraged we can find her in good order."

The volunteers will join the efforts of 12 law enforcement and missing child agencies, including the FBI, that have combined efforts to work on the case of the missing Colorado Middle School student.

Kampfer said Friday that there are now 30 law enforcement personnel working the case on the ground in Colorado City.

Hailey, 13, has been missing since Dec. 27.

MORE...

http://www.ktxs.com/news/26400628/detail.html
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »

Help Find Hailey Dunn - Missing From Texas January 7, 2011 - TEXAS EQUUSEARCH has been contacted by Hailey's family and is enroute to Colorado City to search for Hailey! Thank you Texas Equusearch!

Excellent news
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2011, 02:29:47 PM »

Polygraphs unconfirmed

By Staff

Kampfer further stated that  not informing interviewees of the results of their polygraph tests is standard law enforcement procedure and to his knowledge, none of the people involved  had been informed of the results.

Could it be that Billie was informed that Shawn and her both failed the polygraphs but proper protocol was not followed in the revealing of the results?  Could it be that City Manager Pete Kampfer is attempting damage control?

I cannot comprehend what would be Billie's motive for lying.

Janet

++++++

NANCY GRACE

<snipped>

Immediately following the polygraph ... Billie Dunn was subjected to a 10 hour interrogation by investigators.  I am inclined to believe that Billie is revealing the truth when she claims she was informed she had failed the polygraph.

Anyways ... the truth will be revealed as the investigation proceeds.

Janet

+++++++

NANCY GRACE

DUNN: They said we couldn`t take the polygraph because we had taken medicine.

GRACE: And then when did they allow you to take it?

DUNN: And -- yesterday.

GRACE: And then you ended up being questioned for 10 straight hours?

DUNN: Yes.

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »

Colorado City residents form search parties looking for Hailey Dunn.

http://plixi.com/p/68468895
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »

I'm following this case but havent commented until now.

This mother's priorities are skewed, no mother in their right head would be more focused discussing a "reportedly" failed poly over finding out what happened to their reported missing child.  Last night's NG episode had me concerned & bewildered at its obsession over the lie detector tests, this time I think NG is putting too much faith in this mother being totally innocent with whatever happened to Hailey.   In other words, to me the mother's focus without belligerence or diversion, finding Hailey would be first and foremost at all times despite the questions geared away from that aim.   Why is she so heck bent on talking about not having faith in lie detectors as opposed to "please I beg of you help me find my child" and/or "there is a good chance my boyfriend did something & if so please find the evidence that proves it."   One could conclude that if she had faith in her boyfriend that he couldnt have done anything to harm her daughter she wouldnt have kicked him out & defended him because at a time like this you would think she'd need him as a support system right now, nope something is up with that.    I also have my doubts she was told flat out that her boyfriend failed the poly, not that it couldnt have happened but it remains to be seen that is what took place other than her word (remember Misty Cummings).  The only reason I see law enforcement telling her is if they were already on to something & pinning her against the boyfriend vice versus.

Something tells me that Hailey never went to go to her father's & got sidetracked or anywhere for that matter, the dog hit could have been from previous trips to her dad's.   I just do not sense that this is a stranger abduction or a runaway situation, I cant even say I hope Im wrong because no matter the outcome its pretty obvious there has been harm done to Hailey, it is just a question as to by whom & to what severity. 

I do not like that the boyfriend was laid off & the entire dynamic tells me there were elements present that could have had him and/or the mother lashing out.   I'm sure even more will come out but with the little I've seen so far we're talking about overall mature, responsible & decent individuals here.

The mother is hiding something & its obvious by her body language & facial expressions, even if its only that she knew the boyfriend was bad news & is fully aware that she did not care for her pre-teen daughter nearly sufficient enough.   You couldnt help but ask immediately upon seeing her just how old was she when she gave birth to Hailey, bottom line this sounds like another tragic case of immaturity & elicit lives risking the welfare of a minor willingly.   I am sure there are things I have to catch up on & I will but for now that is my gut reaction to this case.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #294 on: January 07, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

Excellent news

That is great news!

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #295 on: January 07, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »

Residents Forming Search Parties to Locate Missing Colorado City Teen Hailey Dunn 1/7/11

Colorado City residents are now being asked to aid more formally in the search for missing 13 year old Hailey Dunn by forming search parties Friday at 2:00pm.

Residents are meeting at the Mitchell County Courthouse to conduct a city-wide search.

Some indicate they may be walking the ten miles north to Dunn, Texas for the sake of thoroughness.

City Manager Pete Kampfer says that more than 30 law enforcement personnel are working in search parties of two, going door to door.

The city is asking the public to cooperate as they go door to door and ask for entrance.

Authorities are looking in the closets of Colorado City homes for Hailey.

The hope is that she may have been hiding or is being kept there and will turn up today.

Authorities are also searching along the Colorado River and within wooded areas surrounding town.

If you would like to join the search at 2:00pm you are asked to bring a cell phone, a water bottle and to dress in warm clothes.

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=23244
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »

I think it is a good idea that some people are thinking of walking the 10 miles to Dunn where Shawn is supposed to be staying with his Grannie now. 

As for authorities saying they are looking in closets as Hailey may be hiding in one 
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »

an angelic monkey Finally~considering the proximity of TES and this search I  am so grateful they contacted them.........please find her and Lord, pls let her be alive

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »

I think it is a good idea that some people are thinking of walking the 10 miles to Dunn where Shawn is supposed to be staying with his Grannie now. 

As for authorities saying they are looking in closets as Hailey may be hiding in one 

Ditto....sometimes I wonder WTH they are smoking! Also, I have read so many stmts from David, and isn't he the brother that is only 16? If so, why is he the family spokesperson as I still feel at 16 and a minor he should be sheilded, it worries me. Also, why does the brother of Hailey and Billie's son along with his uncle have a different spin on the polygraph info than Billie reported. IIRC, they stated he walked out, and she stated the first one couldn't be taken since he had taken ativan so which one is it.........can't be both?

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #299 on: January 07, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »

The Hailey Dunn Story: Conflicting Assertions Abound

COLORADO CITY, Texas -- The reporting of rumor, innuendo and misrepresentation seems to be a part – sadly – of the unfolding story surrounding missing teenager Hailey Dunn.

Despite statements to the contrary by people involved, Sparky Dean, senior trooper of the Texas Department of Public Safety, told KTXS on Friday that no one has been told whether they have passed or failed a polygraph test.

This comes despite the statement made on national television by Billie Dunn, Hailey's mother, that she and her former live-in boyfriend Shawn Adkins had both failed polygraph tests. She made this statement on live television Thursday night on HLN's "Nancy Grace."

Told of Dean's statement that no results of passing or failure were pronounced, Billie Dunn twice reasserted her position: She was told there was "deception indicated."

The misunderstanding of what did and did not occur stands as an example of the enormous challenges of news reporting in the middle of an ongoing investigation, during which assumptions and misunderstandings exist – and are sometimes reported to the public.

Furthermore, KTXS has learned over the past several days, that other family members have made various conflicting and unconfirmed claims – declaring, at different times, that at least four different people have failed the polygraph tests.

Another member of the extended family added an assertion Friday morning to KTXS News that Adkins "had been cleared" of any wrong-doing.

Such assertions, assumptions and misunderstandings seem to occur in a fluid, ongoing story that is not yet complete.

Another assertion made on the "Nancy Grace Show" Thursday night stated that the Billie Dunn's home was searched on Wednesday for the first time. Officials on Friday pointed out that the home has been searched three times since Hailey's disappearance on Dec. 27.

Experts have long known that journalistic coverage of breaking news during an active investigation is a difficult assignment. Some in the news media, in a competitive environment, will rush to release scraps of information – occasionally before the facts are confirmed.

Kenneth Pybus, media law specialist and journalism faculty member at Abilene Christian University, said part of the problem comes from the tension that exists between differing roles and responsibilities of those involved.

"One of the challenges is that you have competing interests: the sources involved, the media and the law enforcement," he said. "The media are trying to quickly put out information to the public. Law enforcement is trying to find and protect evidence, see that justice is served and, sometimes, protect privacy.

"The media often frustrate law enforcement, and law enforcement often frustrates the media," he said. "And both often frustrate the sources that are involved in the incident."

Nevertheless, he said, journalists "have a responsibility to be as accurate as possible. In the end they can only report what they've been told. Sometimes they wind up repeating false information."

http://www.ktxs.com/news/26401950/detail.html
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.