March 28, 2024, 01:59:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4,000 + Dead Birds Drop From the Sky in Beebe, Arkansas  (Read 4505 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: January 03, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »

4,000 Dead Birds Drop From the Sky
By CAMPBELL ROBERTSON
Published: January 3, 2011

Times Square had the ball drop, and Brasstown, N.C., had its descending possum. But no place had a New Year’s Eve as unusual — and downright disturbing — as Beebe, Ark.

About 10 p.m. Friday, thousands of red-winged blackbirds began falling out of the sky over this town about 35 miles northeast of Little Rock. They landed on roofs, roads, front lawns and backyards, turning the ground nearly black and scaring anyone who happened to be outside.

“One of them almost hit my best friend in the head,” said Christy Stephens, who was standing outside among the smoking crowd at a New Year’s Eve party. “We went inside after that.”

The cause is still being determined, said Keith Stephens, a spokesman for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. Of the more than 4,000 birds that fell on Beebe, 65 samples have been sent to labs, one in Arkansas, the other in Wisconsin. Some results may be available as soon as Monday, Mr. Stephens said.

For now, state officials are speculating that the birds may have died as a result of stress, startled by fireworks in the area, or perhaps by lightning. But, Mr. Stephens acknowledged that the cause may never be known.

It is, he said, the biggest case like this that he is aware of.

“About 19 years ago, we had some ducks,” he said, “but that was only a couple of dozen.”

The town contacted an environmental cleanup firm, which by Monday afternoon had picked up nearly all of the bird carcasses, some of which had been bagged and left by residents at the end of driveways. A few calls were still coming in, said Tracy Lightfoot, who sits on the City Council, but that was no surprise given how many birds had dropped out of the sky.

“It just looked as if it had rained birds,” he said, declining to speculate on the reason. “There’s lots of theories running around. I have no idea. I just don’t have a clue.”

One thing is almost certain: the bird drop is not related to the 83,000 fish that died a few days earlier in the western part of the state, the biggest fish kill in Arkansas that anyone can remember. They were spotted by anglers last week and reported to the Game and Fish Commission, which spent New Year’s Eve measuring and counting dead fish that had spread out for nearly 20 miles.

In that case, the victims were almost all drum, and almost all younger ones. That suggests the culprit was disease, said Mark Oliver, the commission’s chief of fisheries. He said that fish kills were not uncommon, especially in winter when fish are packed more closely, but he did not recall one of this size.

State officials have sent samples of dying, but not yet dead, fish to the fish disease lab at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, which could take a couple of weeks to reach conclusions.

The likelihood of a connection between dead fish in a river on one side of the state and dead birds from the sky in another is pretty much nil (nor is there any connection between these events and the yearlong swarm of mini-earthquakes in the center of the state).

But it is all rather odd.

Becky Short, who also sits on the City Council, said that in addition to the controversial fireworks theory, people have already begun joking about the biblical end times and U.F.O.’s.

Her conclusion was simpler.

“Looks like some sort of phenomenon happened,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/04/us/04beebe.html

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:28:19 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »

This report has to be a joke....??

BIRDS FALL FROM LOUISIANA SKY
Posted on Tuesday, January 4th, 2011
 LABARRE, LA  — Thousands of dead dropped form the sky in Pointe Coupee Parish on Monday.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/27018/birds-fall-from-louisiana-sky/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/01/04/1494231/4-and-20-blackbirds-and-4000-dead.html#storylink=mirelated
La. has mass bird kill just days after Ark.
January 4, 2011

BEEBE, Ark. – Blackbirds are having hard time staying alive in the Southeast. Just a few days after 3,000 blackbirds fell from the sky in Arkansas, about 500 birds dropped to their death in Louisiana, littering a quarter-mile stretch of highway near Baton Rouge. It wasn't clear if the deaths were linked, but such massive wildlife kills are far from uncommon.
Biologists were trying to figure out what killed the birds in rural Pointe Coupee Parish, La. About 300 miles to the north, in the small town of Beebe in central Arkansas, scientists said celebratory fireworks on New Year's Eve likely sent thousands of discombobulated blackbirds into such a tizzy that they crashed into homes, cars and each other before plummeting to their deaths. Still, officials acknowledged it's unlikely they'll ever pinpoint a cause with certainty.

Wildlife officials in both Arkansas and Louisiana were sending carcasses to researchers at the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis. and the University of Georgia, but it's not clear the bird deaths were related.

In Beebe, New Year's revelers spent the holiday weekend cleaning up between 4,000 and 5,000 dead red-winged blackbirds. Some speculated that bad weather was to blame. Others said one confused bird could have led the group in a fatal plunge. A few spooked schoolkids guessed the birds committed mass suicide.

"There was probably some physical reason, but I doubt anyone will ever know what it was," said Thurman Booth, the state's wildlife services director.

The birds were the second mass wildlife death in Arkansas in recent days. Last week, about 83,000 dead and dying drum fish washed up along a 20-mile stretch of the Arkansas River, about 100 miles west of Beebe. Wildlife officials say the fish deaths are not related to the dead birds, and that because mainly one species of fish was affected, it is likely they were stricken by an illness. Full test results could take up to a month.

The U.S. Geological Service's website lists about 90 mass deaths of birds and other wildlife from June through Dec. 12. Five list deaths of at least 1,000 birds and another 12 show at least 500 dead birds.

The largest was near Houston, Minn., where about 4,000 water birds died between Sept. 6 and Nov. 26 from infestations of various parasites.

Red-winged blackbirds are among North America's most abundant birds, with somewhere between 100 million and 200 million nationwide, according to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in Ithaca, N.Y.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/01/04/1494328/more-birds-fall-from-sky-this.html
More birds fall from sky - this time in Louisiana
January 4, 2011

LABARRE, La. (AP) - State biologists are trying to determine what killed an estimated 500 birds that littered a quarter-mile stretch of highway in Pointe Coupee Parish near Baton Rouge.

The birds, including starlings and red-winged blackbirds, were found Monday along Louisiana Highway 1, about 300 miles south of Beebe, Ark., where more than 3,000 blackbirds fell from the sky three days earlier. Authorities said examinations showed the birds found in Arkansas suffered internal injuries that formed deadly blood clots.

Louisiana state biologists are sending some of the dead birds to laboratories in Georgia and Wisconsin for testing.

Large numbers of bird deaths are not uncommon.

In January and February 1999, an estimated 3,000 birds died in Morehouse Parish in northern Louisiana, many of them falling from the air. Scientists at the U.S. Geological Service laboratory in Wisconsin diagnosed the cause as an E. coli infection of air sacs in their skulls.

The U.S. Geological Service's website lists about 90 mass deaths of birds and other wildlife from June through Dec. 12. Five list deaths of at least 1,000 birds and another 12 show at least 500 dead birds.

The largest was near Houston, Minn., where about 4,000 water birds died between Sept. 6 and Nov. 26 from infestations of various parasites.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:48:06 AM »

Here is a good youtube on the events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CknHiQFkfAA&feature=player_embedded#at=34

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/
Dying Birds Mystery Deepens
 video report  01/05/11

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »

Does the events point to the first signs pointing to the end of the world

Ok found more

Let's look at the evidence:

1) 2010 was the deadliest year on record in terms of death due to natural disasters (Haiti, Chile, Iceland Volcano, Indonesia's triple calamity: Volcano, Earthquake, Tsunami
...2) Christians are being clearly deliberately persecuted and targeted
3) The overwhelming collapse of most of the world's economies
4) Wars, conflict, turmoil all around the globe
5) Scandals on the Catholic Church
6) Moons turns like blood and eclipses in the Middle of the Winter Solstice (Not seen in nearly 500 years), followed by the Partial Solar Eclipse (Celestial bodies warnings).
7) Intolerant Religion based conflict and Wars
Cool The climactic developments taking place in the Middle-East bringing us closer to the threat of Nuclear Armageddon.

I say Shop and Charge, till we drop!!

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

Lmao Blonde...Yeah...I won't hold my breath either.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »

Although, if every bird in every Country dropped from the sky all at the same time I may have to reconsider.... 

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »

Well I did shop got myself some DKNY high heel studded & strappy boots ON SALE with  5" heals  in Black, two hot shirts all for under $100 they had to check the prices twice hot hot hot
Then hit the Estee Lauder went a little nuts in there.

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.