March 19, 2024, 01:27:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #11 9/17/11 -  (Read 135692 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: January 05, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

Artwork by CBB
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:09:13 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »

I'm still hoping and praying there will be justice for Zahra.   an angelic monkey

Where is Zahra's skull?  Why won't that witch  Elisa tell where it is?  Did she use it some ritual, or perhaps she sold it?  It's enough Zahra's mother has had to bear the loss of her daughter and in such a horrible, horrible way.  I hope the rest of Zahra's remains can be recovered.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/tears-for-tormented-zahras-life-of-hell/story-fn7x8me2-1226139210934
Tears for tormented Zahra Baker's life of hell
September 17, 2011

Zahra Baker was beaten and abused before being killed by her stepmother, Elisa Baker. Picture: AP Herald Sun

As she was led from North Carolina's Catawba County Court to spend up to 18 years in jail for the murder and torment she dealt out to a vulnerable Australian child, Baker's unrelenting sobbing could be heard from behind a closed door.

But her plea deal with North Carolina authorities, in which she avoided facing death in exchange for leading them to the 10-year-old's scattered remains, leaves many questions unanswered.

Baker, 42, who lived with Adam Baker and Zahra in a small home in Hickory, has never told authorities how she killed Zahra. Or why.

Police found blood all over Zahra's room, even the ceiling, suggesting how violent her death was.
 ::snipping2::
During the sentencing hearing, police told how Baker's biological daughter, Amber Fairchild, saw her mother punching Zahra's head.

School authorities became concerned when Zahra turned up to class with two black eyes, but authorities did not act - nor did Mr Baker.

Police are certain he played no role in killing or dismembering his child.

Mr Baker told the court in a statement that Zahra had loved Baker and looked up to her. Yet homicide investigator Capt Thurman Whisnant told the court how much Zahra feared her stepmother.

He said Hickory schoolteachers found Zahra distressed and crying because she had wet herself. Her main fear was going home to face recriminations from her stepmother.

It was recounted a witness had arrived at the Bakers' tiny house, in the weeks before Zahra was killed, to hear Baker swearing at Zahra for wetting herself again.

Shaking and crying, Zahra's biological mother, Emily Dietrich, from NSW, read a statement condemning Baker and apologising that her post-natal depression had seen her walk away from Zahra.

"What exactly am I supposed to speak about?" Ms Dietrich said.

"The constant pain, guilt and regret I have lived with for letting depression take over to the point of feeling it best for Zahra to live with her father, for I was in no fit state to keep her safe?"

She described Baker as "pure evil".
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »

http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/09/17/3375996/both-sides-say-they-reached-best.html

Published: Saturday, Sep. 17, 2011 / Updated: Saturday, Sep. 17, 2011 12:07 AM
Both sides say they reached best deal
By Franco Ordoñez - fordonez@charlotteobserver.com

"Given the facts and given the laws, this is the best result and the closest to justice you can get," District Attorney Jay Gaither said. "Would I want better facts and stronger laws? Absolutely."

While Gaither and Reilly worked the final agreement last weekend, the real wrangling began Oct. 23.

According to attorneys from both sides the deal was reached this way:

Zahra had been missing for two weeks and investigators had found no clues to her whereabouts. At some point, 18 pinpoint dots of blood were found in her bedroom, but not enough to confirm a death.

The search continued without any breakthrough. Then, a tip sent investigators to the Caldwell County landfill, where TV cameras on Oct. 22 showed a crane lifting a soiled mattress.

Although the mattress contained no evidence, Gaither said it appeared to the public, and perhaps Elisa Baker, that police were getting closer to the truth.

The next day, Gaither received a call from one of Baker's previous attorneys, Lisa Dubs.

Dubs told Gaither her client had information that would solve the mystery of the disappearance of Zahra Baker.

It was a short call. Gaither then contacted police.

"We have a defendant who wants to talk," he said.

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/09/17/3375996/both-sides-say-they-reached-best.html#ixzz1YH71oQRU
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »

I'm still hoping and praying there will be justice for Zahra.   an angelic monkey

Where is Zahra's skull?  Why won't that witch  Elisa tell where it is?  Did she use it some ritual, or perhaps she sold it?  It's enough Zahra's mother has had to bear the loss of her daughter and in such a horrible, horrible way.  I hope the rest of Zahra's remains can be recovered.   an angelic monkey

i dont think EB will ever say,the skull prob shows blunt force trama,and the real truth would be out
wonder if EB could be retried,if the skull was found and showed that Zahra had been murdered,would
blunt force trama be 1st degree murder

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:37:21 PM »

With video

http://www.wcnc.com/news/Zahra-Bakers-birth-mother-speaks-for-the-first-time-130088813.html

Zahra Baker's birth mother speaks for the first time
by DIANA RUGG / NewsChannel 36
Bio | Email| Follow: @DianaRuggwcnc
WCNC.com
Posted on September 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM
Updated today at 7:23 PM

She told NewsChannel 36 reporter Diana Rugg, she has mixed emotions about leaving the last place her daughter Zahra called home. She spoke about relief over the plea deal last week because it means Elisa Baker, Zahra’s stepmother, will spend time in prison.

But also, Deitrich spoke about her anger towards Zahra’s father, Adam Baker.  Although the evidence shows he did not take part in the murder, she still holds him responsible.

"I still hold a lot of resentment towards him. There's a big difference between being not guilty and being innocent, and I don't think he is innocent of what happened. He had played all his own part," said Dietrich.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »

http://www.wcnc.com/news/zahra-baker/Hickory-blood-drive-to-benefit-Zahra-Baker-playground-project-130133788.html

Hickory blood drive to benefit Zahra Baker playground project
by NewsChannel 36 Staff
WCNC.com
Posted on September 19, 2011 at 2:27 PM
Updated today at 2:32 PM

HICKORY, N.C. -- The Community Blood Center of the Carolinas is hosting a blood drive to benefit the Playground for Zahra Project.

It's taking place on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Frye Regional Medical Center in Hickory.

On Monday another $20,000 in ka-BOOM! grant money was awarded to the playground at Kiwanis Park.

The park already had $150,000 of funds before the new fundraising attempts Monday.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16074396

Mum: Why I Had To Face My Daughter's Killer
4:10pm UK, Wednesday September 21, 2011
Jonathan Samuels, Australia correspondent

The mother of murdered 10 year old Australian girl Zahra Baker has described why she wanted to look her daughter's killer in the face.

Emily Dietrich went to court to watch Zahra's stepmother being sentenced for killing and dismembering the child.

Speaking for the first time since the sentencing she said she could only glance at Elisa Baker for a moment.

"I mainly wanted her to see me, and for her to see the pain that she's caused on my face and my mother's face."

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »

Justice is coming--hopefully for 140 years in prison for federal charges!     Her latest jail mugshot at the link.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/sep/20/zahras-killer-moved-mecklenburg-jail-ar-1412783/

Zahra's killer moved to Mecklenburg jail
By: Richard Gould
Published: September 20, 2011

She’ll reside in the Mecklenburg County jail as she waits for her upcoming Nov. 7 federal court date.

Baker, 43, faces a maximum of $4.75 million in fines and 140 years in jail for the federal charges.

The charges against her include:

--Conspiring with others to distribute and possess with intent to distribute Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell and Catawba counties from 2006 until 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison a $1 million fine or both.

--Distribution and possession with intent to distribute Oxycodone (a Schedule II controlled substance) in Caldwell and Catawba counties from May 2006 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $1 million fine or both.

--Distribution and possession with intent to distribute Hydrocodone (a Schedule III controlled substance) in Caldwell and Catawba counties from May 2006 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 10 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.

--Distribution and possession with intent to distribute Alprazolam (a Schedule IV controlled substance) in Caldwell and Catawba counties from May 2006 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 5 years in prison, a $200,000 million fine or both.

--Using and maintaining a place for the distribution of Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell County from 6 Congress St. Apt. 1, Granite Falls from July 24, 2009 until Nov. 9, 2009. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.

--Using and maintaining a place for the distribution of Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell County from 4010 Phillip Lane, Hudson from Nov. 13, 2009 until April 8, 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.

--Using and maintaining a place for the distribution of Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell County from 21 21st Ave., NE, Hickory from July 2010 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »

amazing isn't it that people get more time in jail for drugs than for murdering a child? will never understand that..

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »

Justice is coming--hopefully for 140 years in prison for federal charges!     Her latest jail mugshot at the link.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/sep/20/zahras-killer-moved-mecklenburg-jail-ar-1412783/

Zahra's killer moved to Mecklenburg jail
By: Richard Gould
Published: September 20, 2011

She’ll reside in the Mecklenburg County jail as she waits for her upcoming Nov. 7 federal court date.

Baker, 43, faces a maximum of $4.75 million in fines and 140 years in jail for the federal charges.

The charges against her include:

--Conspiring with others to distribute and possess with intent to distribute Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell and Catawba counties from 2006 until 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison a $1 million fine or both.

--Distribution and possession with intent to distribute Oxycodone (a Schedule II controlled substance) in Caldwell and Catawba counties from May 2006 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $1 million fine or both.

--Distribution and possession with intent to distribute Hydrocodone (a Schedule III controlled substance) in Caldwell and Catawba counties from May 2006 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 10 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.

--Distribution and possession with intent to distribute Alprazolam (a Schedule IV controlled substance) in Caldwell and Catawba counties from May 2006 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 5 years in prison, a $200,000 million fine or both.

--Using and maintaining a place for the distribution of Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell County from 6 Congress St. Apt. 1, Granite Falls from July 24, 2009 until Nov. 9, 2009. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.

--Using and maintaining a place for the distribution of Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell County from 4010 Phillip Lane, Hudson from Nov. 13, 2009 until April 8, 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.

--Using and maintaining a place for the distribution of Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Alprazolam in Caldwell County from 21 21st Ave., NE, Hickory from July 2010 until Oct. 2010. Maximum penalty: 20 years in prison, a $500,000 million fine or both.

Thanks for this, grace-land.

I was hoping (and still do, of course) that the other charges she is facing will keep her in prison for the rest of her life, since they accepted her plea deal on Zahra's murder.

Here's hoping all of this will end up with the best justice for Zahra as possible.

Evil, despicable woman, that Elisa.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »

amazing isn't it that people get more time in jail for drugs than for murdering a child? will never understand that..

It is amazing, cookie.  I was surprised by the harsh penalty for drugs vs murder; however, in my opinion, she deserves all of the prison time that she has earned from her illegal activities!
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »

YW, Brandi.  It seems that she will be in prison for a long time.  From the explanation of the lawyers for Zahra, the second-degree murder charge was the best deal that they could accept--considering the limitted amount of evidence that they had against her.
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 01:45:22 AM »

YW, Brandi.  It seems that she will be in prison for a long time.  From the explanation of the lawyers for Zahra, the second-degree murder charge was the best deal that they could accept--considering the limitted amount of evidence that they had against her.

Yes, that is how I understood it as well.

I am glad they got her on what they could.

And I am eagerly awaiting the other charges and penalties.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »

an angelic monkey

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15548164/anniversay-of-zahras-death-was-saturday

Anniversary of Zahra's tragic death was Saturday
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 8:10 AM CDT
Updated: Sep 26, 2011 8:24 AM CDT

HICKORY, NC (WBTV) -   There was painful anniversary over the weekend -- that of a little girl who was robbed of the chance to grow up.

Police say Zahra Baker, just 10 years old, was murdered on Saturday one year ago.

A park is being built in Hickory in Zahra's honor and donations are still being accepted for the next few days.

The fundraiser for the Zahra Baker All-Children's Playground ends on September 30, 2011.  For more information go to www.playgroundforzahra.org .
Jazzy
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »

Justice wont be served til Adam is behind bars even on the federal accounts and immagration,

As for Emily I wished she would throw a law suit for wrongful death on Adam and Elsie.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »

Justice wont be served til Adam is behind bars even on the federal accounts and immagration,

As for Emily I wished she would throw a law suit for wrongful death on Adam and Elsie.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »

http://www.wcnc.com/news/zahra-baker/Local-vendor-to-donate-proceeds-from--130791033.html

Entertainment company to donate proceeds to Zahra's playground
by NewsChannel 36 Staff
WCNC.com
Posted on September 29, 2011 at 1:21 PM

HICKORY, N.C. -- A local entertainment company for Hickory's Oktoberfest  is donating their proceeds to the Hickory Kiwanis Club for Zahra's Playground Project.

The  Kiwanis Club have already raised over $150,000 for the new handicapped-accessible playground.

Hickory's Oktoberfest will start Friday, October 7 and run through Sunday, October 9.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »

With video

http://www.wcnc.com/news/Sunday-marks-one-year-since-amber-alert-issued-for-Zahra-Baker-131435008.html

Sunday marked a year since Amber Alert issued for Zahra Baker .
by DIANA RUGG / NewsChannel 36 Staff
Bio | Email| Follow: @DianaRuggwcnc
WCNC.com
Posted on October 10, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Updated today at 12:51 PM

HICKORY, N.C. -- It’s been a year since all of North Carolina first got the Amber Alert that a freckle-faced, ten-year-old girl had disappeared from her northwest Hickory home.

Even as the Hickory Police Department sent out the alerts for Zahra Baker late Saturday night, October 9th, 2010, they suspected the little girl’s father and step-mother weren’t quite telling the truth about her supposed abduction. 

Major Clyde Deal spoke to NewsChannel 36 shortly before the 11 p.m. news that night, saying investigators were getting conflicting statements from Adam and Elisa Baker.

The house is now boarded up, and the tree has been cut down.  Elisa Baker has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and other charges, and is headed to prison.

Police said they can’t find evidence that Adam Baker was involved in Zahra’s death.  He still faces charges for identity theft and obtaining property under false pretenses.

Mayor Wright said he’s proud of the people of Hickory for their support, and for wanting to remember Zahra Baker in a positive way.  A playground for children of all abilities is in the works at Kiwanis Park. 

Organizers have received nearly double the amount of money they expected in donations – more than $170,000.  The park should be open by spring.

Wright said he expected nothing less of the people of Hickory.

“People said, ‘that little girl deserved better, and who's going do it but us?’”
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/oct/10/ground-breaking-zahras-playground-nov-16-ar-1484973/

Ground-breaking for Zahra's playground on Nov. 16
By: John Miller
Published: October 10, 2011

HICKORY --
It’s been one year since the disappearance and murder of Zahra Baker, and those in Hickory and beyond still mourn her death.

The community’s compassion for Zahra is reflected in the generosity of people, businesses and other organizations who have dedicated funds to the Zahra Baker All Children's Playground that will be built at Kiwanis Park in Hickory. The playground will be accessible to children of all abilities.

The City of Hickory is planning to hold a ground-breaking ceremony on Nov. 16, which would have been Zahra’s 12th birthday, to unveil the playground. The plans call for completion of the park by early spring.

Steve Aaron, President of the Western Catawba County Kiwanis Club, said the official fund-raising deadline for the Kiwanis Playground Fund for Zahra was Sept. 20, but more donations are expected.

“We’re about $170,000. We still have promises and a few businesses who are still going to contribute,” said Aaron. “When we’re done, we’ll be closer to $200,000 number to start building the playground.”

Aaron said the city sent out bid specifications for the park about 10 days ago. Because it is a city-sanctioned project, there were certain requirements. He said they expect to have bids back by Oct. 24. They will make a decision on the contractors that week, and place an order shortly thereafter.

Though the ground-breaking is next month, the playground will likely be finished next spring. Part of the construction process will include help from local community groups, as is required as part of a KaBOOM playground grant. That will save on labor costs, said Aaron.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.