March 18, 2024, 09:53:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zahra Clare Baker #11 9/17/11 -  (Read 135686 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2014, 10:55:27 PM »

Thank you grace-land. I agree, it's disheartening to learn about the defense strategy.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »

Thank you grace-land. I agree, it's disheartening to learn about the defense strategy.    

I wouldn't vote for him!

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/life_entertainment/article_e67180f2-a649-11e3-a151-001a4bcf6878.html

New sculpture to commemorate Zahra Baker
Posted: Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:00 pm |  Updated: 1:00 pm, Sun Mar 9, 2014.

SUBMITTED PHOTO
A kinetic sculpture named Zahra's Whirled will be placed in Kiwanis Park in April, city officials said. Pinwheels are considered a symbol of child abuse and neglect

HICKORY – Thanks to the City of Hickory, an artist’s vision and a little serendipity, a new sculpture will pay tribute to Zahra Baker at Kiwanis Park.

Zahra’s Whirled is an 8-foot-tall kinetic sculpture, reminiscent of a pinwheel, that will serve as the focal point of a concrete plaza near the Zahra Baker All Children’s Playground. The piece, composed of recycled and stainless steel, is expected to be unveiled by the end of April, which is National Child Abuse Prevention Month.

The sculpture was created by Mike Roig of Carrboro. Roig said the piece was about a year and half old. The top part of the sculpture spins in the wind on a vertical axis.

Pinwheels are often circulated to raise awareness of child abuse and neglect, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »

And her goodness continues...  an angelic monkey

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/news/article_19a89918-b146-11e3-9322-001a4bcf6878.html

Volunteers place pinwheels at Zahra Baker All Children's Playground before last year's ceremony marking Child Abuse Prevention Month

Event to spotlight prevention of child abuse
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:00 am

HICKORY, N.C. — The public is invited to attend a ceremony recognizing Child Abuse Prevention Month at noon April 9 at Zahra Baker All Children's Playground at Kiwanis Park in Hickory.

The ceremony will include the placing of blue and silver pinwheels, the national symbol of child abuse prevention. Members of the public, businesses or other organizations may purchase the pinwheels for $2 each.

Half the cost will be donated to the Children’s Advocacy & Protection Center for its mission of education, prevention and response to child sexual abuse and severe physical abuse.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2014, 10:22:52 PM »

The pinwheels  are a beautiful gesture.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #265 on: April 10, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »

The pinwheels  are a beautiful gesture.   an angelic monkey

an angelic monkey
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #266 on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »

Photos at the link
http://www.hickoryrecord.com/news/work-of-heart-community-dedicates-sculpture-to-zahra-baker/article_b2788334-c036-11e3-9ad4-001a4bcf6878.html

Work of heart: Community dedicates sculpture to Zahra Baker
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:31 pm |  Updated: 11:31 am, Thu Apr 10, 2014.

HICKORY NC – Zahra Baker would have turned 14 last November. She didn’t make it past 10.

Dozens gathered Wednesday at the park named in her honor to dedicate a sculpture to the murdered girl from Australia, the girl with the spirited smile and freckled face, the girl whose short life was tainted by abuse.

It was about remembering Zahra and recognizing abused children everywhere.

The sculpture sits at the center of a circular garden. Rising from the ground on a copper pedestal, nine rounded sheets of steel worked into delicate curves rotate on a vertical axis in the wind.

It is too early for the flowers that will enliven the garden to have bloomed, but on Wednesday afternoon, thousands of blue and silver pinwheels whirled in their place. The sculpture is called Zahra’s Whirled.

The dedication of the sculpture is but one in a series of steps to create a park in Hickory all children can enjoy. Equipment at the playground is made for able-bodied and special-needs children. A wheel-chair accessible tree house will overlook Zahra’s Whirled, and construction is underway on a picnic pavilion and restrooms.

The Zahra Baker All Children’s Playground at Kiwanis Park is at 805 Sixth St. SE.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2014, 11:08:17 PM »

More fun is coming for the children at the Zahra Baker All Children's Playground! 

Video at the link

Posted: 8:04 a.m. Thursday, July 10, 2014
Tree house being built at Zahra Baker playground

HICKORY, N.C. —
Construction of a wheelchair accessible tree house was underway Thursday at the Zahra Baker All Children's Playground in Hickory.

"The kids are all excited. There are several bus loads that come up here every day and they say, ‘What are you building?’ and I say, ‘Tree house’ and they just go crazy," said Roy Hamby, a construction worker on the project.

Workers hope to have the tree house completed by the end of the month. The mayor said several businesses are helping with fundraising and volunteering to build it.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #268 on: July 17, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/15/5046323/amid-controversy-gaither-loses.html#.U8dQd2dOXIU

Gaither says ‘errors in judgment’ cost him DA bid
Posted: Wednesday, Jul. 16, 2014

District Attorney Jay Gaither said his re-election lost Tuesday shows that the public has lost faith on him, which he blamed on his own “errors in judgment.”

“It's not enough that you do a good job ... You're expected to be the conscience of the community. There were several errors in judgment that affected people's opinion of my ability to use good judgment.”

One of them, he said, involved the Zahra Baker case, which drew Gaither national attention but saddled him with local criticism that spilled over into the election. The 10-year-old was found murdered and dismembered in 2010.

He was widely criticized for a plea bargain in which Zahra's mother Elisa Baker pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 18 years in prison. Critics say she deserved far more.

“There is no doubt that was a major negative for me and I regret that tremendously,” he said. “Because the prosecution of Elisa Baker is regarded nationally as a textbook prosecution.”

Learner used Gaither’s handling of the case throughout his campaign, calling it an example of Gaither's “soft” plea bargains. He agreed it played a role in the runoff.

“People are very, very frustrated with the lenient plea bargains that have gone on,” he said Wednesday. “They've become very aware of that with the handling of the Zahra Baker case.”

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #269 on: July 17, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »

^^^ above article
“Because the prosecution of Elisa Baker is regarded nationally as a textbook prosecution.”

what does that mean.  Is he trying to justify his actions?
color me confused.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »

If I understand it correctly...He had a plea agreement and Elisa pleaded guilty (textbook prosecution); however, he made a lenient plea agreement--18 years for a second degree murder.  It seems that he now regrets making a "soft" plea bargain. 

In a controversial agreement with prosecutors the next year, her stepmother, Elisa Baker, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 18 years in prison. Critics said Baker deserved a stiffer sentence.

In the campaign, Learner called that an example of Gaither's "soft" plea bargains. He agreed it played a role in the runoff.
http://www.thestate.com/2014/07/16/3568221/gaither-baker-case-played-into.html
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #271 on: July 29, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »

If I understand it correctly...He had a plea agreement and Elisa pleaded guilty (textbook prosecution); however, he made a lenient plea agreement--18 years for a second degree murder.  It seems that he now regrets making a "soft" plea bargain. 

In a controversial agreement with prosecutors the next year, her stepmother, Elisa Baker, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 18 years in prison. Critics said Baker deserved a stiffer sentence.

In the campaign, Learner called that an example of Gaither's "soft" plea bargains. He agreed it played a role in the runoff.
http://www.thestate.com/2014/07/16/3568221/gaither-baker-case-played-into.html

Right, I get it now.  Thanks grace-land!

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »

More fun for the children--a beautiful and big treehouse at the Zahra Baker All Children's Playground! 
Video at the link

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/08/19/zahra-tree-house/14303757/
Tree house dedicated in Hickory in memory of murdered girl
7:40 p.m. EDT August 19, 2014

HICKORY, N.C. – There is a new addition to the playground in Hickory that is dedicated to the memory of Zahra Baker.

She was the 10-year-old girl who was murdered by her step-mother back in 2010.

The newest addition to the playground is a massive tree house. It was built in part from money left over from fundraising drives for the park that was first opened in May 2012.

Additional contributions raised the total available to $33,000 for construction costs.

Hickory Mayor Rudy Wright led the dedication ceremony for the tree house.

"I believe that somebody that has been here has been touched and has thought about child abuse and has responded in some way to this memorial," Wright said.

Designers wanted the treehouse to be accessible to all kids.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »

Very nice. 

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »

Very nice. 

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2014, 06:21:44 AM »

Terri
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »

Just stopped in.....it is so hard to return to threads that are now dormant.   I know the cases get solved,   people are located,   more go missing or murdered.   I somehow feel we have invested so much emotional energy into these threads there should be more justice...more torment for the perpetrator.    Silly,  I know.   Just an unhealthy desire to hear how horrendous the perp is doing.    Rest easy Zahra.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2016, 07:33:59 PM »

Just stopped in.....it is so hard to return to threads that are now dormant.   I know the cases get solved,   people are located,   more go missing or murdered.   I somehow feel we have invested so much emotional energy into these threads there should be more justice...more torment for the perpetrator.    Silly,  I know.   Just an unhealthy desire to hear how horrendous the perp is doing.    Rest easy Zahra.

not silly at all!

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18:33 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/zahra-bakers-stepmum-may-appeal-us-conviction/news-story/45e747c3ddb837c1f0ade13d7492553e

Zahra Baker’s stepmum may appeal US conviction
March 29, 201611:51am

Zahra Baker who was brutally murdered and dismembered by her stepmother Elisa Baker in North Carolina, USA in 2010. Zahra, who was in remission from bone cancer, was allegedly the victim of continued abuse prior to her murder.Source:News Corp Australia

THE stepmother of Australian girl Zahra Baker is reportedly planning to appeal her conviction for the 10-year-old’s murder and dismemberment in North Carolina.

Although the time limit for a normal appeal has expired, The Daily Telegraph reports that she will try to mount a motion for appropriate relief.

Speaking from jail, Baker told News Corp Australia that she did not commit the crime and described how she keeps a photo of the slain girl pinned inside her North Carolina prison locker.

“Why would she haunt me? I was a good mamma,” she said

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #279 on: March 30, 2016, 10:41:01 PM »

From the UK Daily Mail  Has anyone seen anything in the American press?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3512485/Elisa-Baker-appeal-murder-conviction-killing-10-year-old-stepdaughter-Zahra-Baker.html

2 4 1
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.