April 16, 2024, 10:45:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "E pluribus unum" & The Slave Nation  (Read 1438 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 16, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »

There are many discussions about "E pluribus unum" and it's meaning today "Out of many, one".

What exactly does being one people mean?

That the majority, the 51% should force their views on 100%?  Taking lives?  Stealing wealth?  Destroying dreams?  Because they found may have a technical majority? 

Does it mean that the many uphold the freedom of the individual above all?  The individual is the building block of the many?

Should individual rights disappear?  Be taken by the many?  The one, the individual silenced forever?

Who speaks for the many?  Dictator?  Despot?

Should the many rule the individual into extinction?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »

There have also been many that say things like "My ancestors roamed freely...here, there, and everywhere...I say..."

Does this mean they were welcome where they roamed?  Perhaps they were given food, lodging, and other things by those already living where they roamed?

I recall from years of education and made for TV documentaries that in America, there were many people already living here before Columbus. 

The people living here were not 'one people' - they were individuals that lived in communities, that sometimes were part of larger communities.  There were also folks that were strange, and not part of other communities.  Some of those communities lived in peace with neighbors, and with other neighbors they were at war. 

There was never 'one people'.  It was a land of many nations, of individuals with competing, and complementary goals and aspirations.

Somehow I doubt that those roaming were given everything freely by those already living on the land.  Somehow I doubt they just moved into someones back yard and took housing, food, and other necessities from those already living there.  Somehow, I doubt these wanderers took everything and gave nothing back.  I doubt they enslaved the existing population and then moved on after taking everything the generous people had 'freely' offered, against their own interest.

Where is the list for those wanting what their ancestors had?  Where is the give it back list, and who decides who benefits today, after thousands or hundreds of years?

I think "the many" has to respect the individual and the accomplishments of the individual, in the current day and age. 

I doubt that folks living hundreds of years ago would see the roamers in the same light as the descendants of the roamers see themselves today.  Perhaps hundreds of years ago, the roamers were called thieves, opportunists, invaders...folks that did not belong, did not contribute...

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »

The old liberal message seemed to be (pick one or more)

we are a diverse nation
we are a nation made of many people
we need to provide everything in hundreds of languages, regardless of cost
we are a nation of many colors

If we were truly one people, why wasn't the most popular language among the people the national language?  A language that all are expected to learn?  Think of how much money would be saved if we eliminated duplication in the class room, courts, etc.?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.