March 28, 2024, 02:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bath Salts a growing drug problem  (Read 2659 times)
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« on: January 23, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/22/officials-fear-bath-salts-are-growing-drug-problem/

FULTON, Miss. -- When Neil Brown got high on dangerous chemicals sold as bath salts, he took his skinning knife and slit his face and stomach repeatedly. Brown survived, but authorities say others haven't been so lucky after snorting, injecting or smoking powders with such innocuous-sounding names as Ivory Wave, Red Dove and Vanilla Sky.

Some say the effects of the powders are as powerful as abusing methamphetamine. Increasingly, law enforcement agents and poison control centers say the advertised bath salts with complex chemical names are an emerging menace in several U.S. states where authorities talk of banning their sale.

From the Deep South to California, emergency calls are being reported over-exposure to the stimulants the powders often contain: mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone, also known as MDPV.

Sold under such names as Ivory Wave, Bliss, White Lightning and Hurricane Charlie, the chemicals can cause hallucinations, paranoia, rapid heart rates and suicidal thoughts, authorities say. The chemicals are in products sold legally at convenience stores and on the Internet as bath salts and even plant foods. However, they aren't necessarily being used for the purposes on the label.

Mississippi lawmakers this week began considering a proposal to ban the sale of the powders, and a similar step is being sought in Kentucky. In Louisiana, the bath salts were outlawed by an emergency order after the state's poison center received more than 125 calls in the last three months of 2010 involving exposure to the chemicals.
Neil Brown experienced hallucinations after ingesting a bath salt powder.
Rogelio V. Solis, AP
As he sits in jail in Fulton, Mass., Neil Brown describes hallucinations he experienced after ingesting a bath salt powder that is being sold at convenience stores and over the Internet.

In Brown's case, he said he had tried every drug from heroin to crack and was so shaken by terrifying hallucinations that he wrote one Mississippi paper urging people to stay away from the advertised bath salts.

"I couldn't tell you why I did it," Brown said, pointing to his scars. "The psychological effects are still there."

While Brown survived, sheriff's authorities in one Mississippi county say they believe one woman overdosed on the powders there. In southern Louisiana, the family of a 21-year-old man says he cut his throat and ended his life with a gunshot. Authorities are investigating whether a man charged with capital murder in the December death of a Tippah County, Miss., sheriff's deputy was under the influence of the bath salts.

The stimulants aren't regulated by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, but are facing federal scrutiny. Law officers say some of the substances are being shipped from Europe, but origins are still unclear.

Gary Boggs, an executive assistant at the DEA, said there's a lengthy process to restrict these types of designer chemicals, including reviewing the abuse data. But it's a process that can take years.

Dr. Mark Ryan, director of Louisiana's poison control center, said he thinks state bans on the chemicals can be effective. He said calls about the chemicals have dropped sharply since Louisiana banned their sale in January.

Ryan said cathinone, the parent substance of the drugs, comes from a plant grown in Africa and is regulated. He said MDPV and mephedrone are made in a lab, and they aren't regulated because they're not marketed for human consumption. The stimulants affect neurotransmitters in the brain, he said.

"It causes intense cravings for it. They'll binge on it three or four days before they show up in an ER. Even though it's a horrible trip, they want to do it again and again," Ryan said.

Ryan said at least 25 states have received calls about exposure, including Nevada and California. He said Louisiana leads with the greatest number of cases at 165, or 48 percent of the U.S. total, followed by Florida with at least 38 calls to its poison center.

Dr. Rick Gellar, medical director for the California Poison Control System, said the first call about the substances came in Oct. 5, and a handful of calls have followed since. But he warned: "The only way this won't become a problem in California is if federal regulatory agencies get ahead of the curve. This is a brand new thing."In the Midwest, the Missouri Poison Center at Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center received at least 12 calls in the first two weeks of January about teenagers and young adults abusing such chemicals, said Julie Weber, the center's director. The center received eight calls about the powders all of last year.

Dr. Richard Sanders, a general practitioner working in Covington, La., said his son, Dickie, snorted some of the chemicals and endured three days of intermittent delirium. Dickie Sanders missed major arteries when he cut his throat. As he continued to have visions, his physician father tried to calm him. But the elder Sanders said that as he slept, his son went into another room and shot himself.

"If you could see the contortions on his face. It just made him crazy," said Sanders. He added that the coroner's office confirmed the chemicals were detected in his son's blood and urine.
Sponsored Links

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »

It is HUGE in Maine, I think since around February 2011...not sure, but early last year. My Nephew (my Sister's Son) is in a Maine Prison right now for dealing (He also uses other drugs as well as prescription pills/not prescribed to him). Just going to leave a few links about him, and I'd like t say that during a 4-5 month period there were at least 50 arrests of others using/buying the drug. The crap makes you freak out...it's bad shit. There were also 2-3 other BIG busts for dealing, but it has been said through a reliable source that my Nephew was the 'kingpin', so to speak....we knew he was on dope---just didn't know the extent of it until the arrests.

This first arrest made the Boston Globe News    My Sister has disowned him and my Niece (his Sister) and I are the only ones that haven't given up on him.

My Nephew:
1st Arrested Nov. 22, 2011 (He was suppose to be at my Sister's house for Thanksgiving 2 days later with a supervised visit with his 2 yr. old Son) My Sister shares custody with the child's Mother's mother)...neither one are fit to be parents.
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/11/23/news/police-beat/brewer-police-seize-nearly-a-pound-of-bath-salts-arrest-man-on-several-charges/?ref=polbeat

**looks no more like my Nephew than I do...this shit is BAD!

Just after the above.............A Motor Home he owned was found way up North (Maine)

Drugs found in abandoned Aroostook motor home may be bath salts
By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff
Posted Nov. 30, 2011, at 5:17 a.m.
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/11/30/news/aroostook/mdea-believe-to-have-found-bath-salts-in-abandoned-aroostook-motor-home/?ref=polbeat

MDEA awaiting test results on suspected bath salts found in Fort Fairfield
By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 12, 2012, at 6:22 p.m
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/01/12/news/police-beat/mdea-awaiting-test-results-on-suspected-bath-salts-found-in-fort-fairfield/

MDEA: Abandoned motor home used to smoke bath salts
By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff
Posted Feb. 17, 2012, at 5:45 a.m.
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/17/news/aroostook/mdea-abandoned-motor-home-used-to-smoke-bath-salts/

2nd Arrest     As you can see from the first article from the first charge he was released on Bail and arrested again (which was NOT in the paper) on a dangerous weapons charge of which they considered a 'Switchblade' (illegal here), but the charges were dropped because the knife he was caught with was a pocket knife and not a switchblade and did not warrant a bail violation).

3rd and final arrest/held w/o bail  (The Paper used the same County Jail Mug Shot)

Old Town police arrest 3 repeat offenders at trailer park
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 03, 2012, at 9:40 p.m

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/01/03/news/police-beat/old-town-police-arrest-3-repeat-offenders-at-trailer-park/?ref=polbeat

OK.......so he first pleads not guilty on all....Lawyer's up w/ high powered atty., 3 months later he ends up agreeing to a plea deal/no trial. Come to Maine if you wish to deal dope......... His Sentence was 7 Years (He was facing 25-30 on all counts/charges---some were dropped when he plead out, He was also facing FEDERAL charges, which still may happen) He had no one to 'Snitch out on', because HE was the Big Guy in 3 Counties!! They all snitched out on him.  ANYWAY----------HE GOT 4 years, all but 3 Suspended (so he does 3 years in a Maine Prison), plus fines and 2 years Probation after release. I have no clue why he got such a light sentence even though it is his first serious offense AND his only offences in Maine.---many of the charges were FELONIES!!  Years ago he was in trouble in Crossville, Tennessee for using METH, but not dealing/manufacturing the charges there were Misdemeanors, spent a bit of time in County Jail in TN, then got released on Probation and my Sister agreed to let him come home so his Probation was transferred up here and that was all over with a few years ago.

Here is where he went to Prison after the Sentence's wasn't here very long before being transferred to the next facility.

1st Facility (over crowded)  MEDIUM/MINIMUM Security  http://www.maine.gov/corrections/Facilities/mcc/index.htm

2nd Facility, where he is right now   http://www.maine.gov/corrections/Facilities/ccf/index.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I felt a need to share this so anyone who knows anyone who uses, deal, manufactures........will let the families know so perhaps some help can be given before it gets this far...RYAN didn't want help---they need to want it, that I do understand. 

Bye 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »

Bad stuff.     I'm sorry it became a part of your nephew's life, Nut. I can see how it can destroy not only the users and dealers, but those of their families and others.   I feel the same as you do, that no matter how much you may want to help, until the person wants help there won't be the change that needs to occur.  I hope Ryan will want to make the change sometime soon.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.