April 18, 2024, 07:51:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Plan to Win the Future" sounds like?  (Read 1883 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:03 AM »

I listened to Obama's speech last night as was disappointed.

The WSJ was kind enough to post this summary here - http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/01/25/text-of-obamas-plan-to-win-the-future/

My comments -

• Innovate: ...The President’s Budget will help increase the nation’s R&D investments, as a share of GDP, to its highest levels since President Kennedy. He is issuing a challenge to America’s scientists and engineers to invent new clean energy technologies that will lead the world. To incentivize these innovations, the President is calling for 80 percent of America’s electricity to come from clean sources by 2035, including wind, solar, nuclear, clean coal and natural gas. He is also putting forward measures to ensure that the U.S. is the first country to put 1 million advanced technology vehicles on its roads.

How much is this going to cost Americans?  How many Americans are watching their heating and air conditioning bills rise?  The cost to travel to work rise? 

Where is the return/profit in all that money spent in the many stimulus/jobs/bailout bills?  Any return?  It seems to me the money went to fund jobs in China and Mexico. 

Where are the jobs for Americans?  Where is the return on Obama's previous investments?  The pay down of the debt which consumes anywhere from 25-35% of our revenue for interest payments alone?

When did GOVERNMENT/WASHINGTON ever choose winning plans?  Pick the REAL good ideas for innovation?

It seems like investment money (debt/higher taxes for Main Street) is always distributed to political friends, cronies, foreigners...nothing for the generations of Americans that have to pay this burden back...nothing for generations that are facing a dimmer future...

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »

• Educate: ...Building on the success of Race to the Top, he is calling on Congress to re-define and right-size the federal role in education, by replacing No Child Left Behind with a new law that raises expectations, challenges failure, rewards success, and provides greater flexibility for schools to innovate and improve results for their students. The President is also pledging to prepare an additional 100,000 science, technology, engineering, and math teachers by the end of the decade. To help restore America’s global leadership in higher education, the President will continue efforts to strengthen the Pell Grant program and is calling on Congress to make permanent his American Opportunity Tax Credit, worth $10,000 for four years of college.

What is a 'right sized' federal role in education?  Maybe a good start is to end the Department of Education?  I think Washington is to far away to make a difference in any classroom.  Where does all the money end up?  Why not let local people KEEP their money and end the siphon/death spiral of all dollars that goes to Washington and are returned as pennies...

100,000 more in just 9 years...11,111 per year or about 222 per state.  What exactly is the point?  If communities can't afford the teachers they have now, who's going to pay for all these new teachers?  Are they qualified by virtue of having attended Obama U? 

He also spoke of making the school day longer, making the school year longer, and started education at a younger age.  Why? 

If 25% of students don't graduate today, why is that?  Perhaps the education is so dumbed down, so uninteresting, students are just bored to death?  If they can't manage 12 years (1-12), why would anyone think 4 more years for college, maybe 3 or 4 more years prior to first grade, and a longer school day and year would make it better?

Is QUANTITY always better than QUALITY?  Why not challenge all American communities to do more with less?  Produce quality graduates in half the time?  How much class time is wasted in things that do not enhance science, technology, engineering, and math learning?  How many wishy-washy subjects could students do without?  Why not make the school day shorter, more flexible, and let communities decide the best way to educate their young?

I think years ago, when many folks did not continue past sixth or eighth grade, they were smarter than some young folks today that spend 18 or more years in school.  BORING, BORING, BORING...does anyone have an attention span for school ages 2-26?  24 years of education?  Another mind numbing idea from Washington?  Paid for by folks with dreams for a better future and no money?  Just debt slavery imposed by Washington?

It reminds me of all those stories about adoption centers in places like Romania and China where the children are warehoused with no human interaction, no toys, no stimulation, just four walls and a cage.  After a while, they zone out...

Other nations educate their children and by the sixth or eighth grade, they are making career choices, going to trade school, going to college, or going to work.  I remember my own high school years, and there were many that went to beauty school or took shop.  It's the only thing that kept them going.  They learned a trade they could use for life. 

Not everyone wants or needs to go to college.  Why would anyone want to sentence innocent young people to urban/ghetto/prison for the first 12+ years of their life?

Many of those immigrants that come here legally and kick out rear ends (engineers, IT, science) come from nations that spend just a fraction of what we do on education.  Is our education system better because we spend more?  Just like healthcare spending, more does not make something better it just seems to make some folks in the crony systems greedier.

I know there are good schools, good programs, but Washington politicians are the LAST folks that should be deciding on education policy.

$10,000 tax credit for a 4 year college program?  In a nation where the price of tuition rises faster than inflation?  Where a four year education costs $50,000 or perhaps more than  $200,000?  Why doesn't anyone say no to greedy wealthy universities?  Make education more affordable and stop building spa like campuses?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »

• Build: The President is calling for a new effort to ensure that the U.S. has the fastest, most reliable ways to move people, goods, and information – from roads and airports to high-speed rail and high-speed Internet. He is proposing efforts to repair and rebuild America’s infrastructure and put forward a National Wireless Initiative to help business extend the next generation of wireless coverage to 98 percent of the population.

Repair and rebuild infrastructure to keep illegal aliens/undocumented in a job?  Millions? 

Where are the jobs for American citizens?  Did anyone from the INS or DHS follow the stimulus/jobs/budget money that has already been spent to check the I-9's of all those companies getting taxpayer money?  Slavery for Americans, bonus checks for foreigners?

What could someone in India possibly buy from an American that they couldn't buy from someone in their home town?  And, why would any investment in infrastructure/internet be a good return for AMERICAN taxpayers? 

Why not let good ideas/solutions decide with their own money where the investment should be?

Who will be able to afford airfare?  Al Gore? 

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »

• Reform:...The President has ordered a review of regulations to remove needless burdens, while ensuring common sense standards to protect the American people. He also asked for efforts to merge, consolidate and reorganize federal agencies to make America more competitive. The President is urging reforms to further reduce the rate of health care cost growth, including medical malpractice liability. And to ensure that the U.S. remains the best place for businesses to invest, President Obama is calling to reform our corporate tax system, eliminating loopholes and lowering the corporate rate without adding to the deficit.

'protect the American people' - From what exactly?  Higher prices?  Cheap imports that don't have the same tax/regulatory burden as companies on Main Street?  Life has risks.  No matter what you do, there is a risk.  If you're using a ladder there is no guarantee your don't won't knock it over and cause you injury.  Life has risks and sometimes, you need to carry your own financial burden.

A leaner government?  More Czars?  Regulatory agencies that take Congress/ "We the people" out of the loops?  Regulatory Dictators?  Cronyism?  Who's going to harvest corporations for the estate tax imposed on hard working folks on Main Street?

The president also called for good ideas to 'make care better or more affordable' or 'cheaper for seniors'.  Affordable for some, probably means you have to tax someone else to make up for the blank check Obamacare gives to some providers and drug companies for profits.

'Affordable' is not the same as 'cost'.  Making Obamacare affordable at $1,000 or $100 a month has nothing to do with the 'cost' of a procedure or drug. 

Where is the incentive to make providers and drug companies lower prices?  If global citizens pay pennies for drugs Americans are pay hundreds of dollars for, how is this making the whole system better in America?

I think Obama's 'affordable' means he and Washington will be taxing/stealing/feeing the American people to death.  Affordable does not mean ANY total cost will be lowered.  It's just another handout.

How to make healthcare affordable again?  Let folks on Main Street vote with their dollars.  Find the best deal, take an active role in managing their healthcare dollars.  Closing the donut hole just seems to mean creating bigger bonuses for drug companies and higher profits that will get taxed at a lower rate.  One hand washing the other, nothing for Main Streets, but less money in the pocket and DEBT SLAVERY for future generations.

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:12:15 AM »

INNOVATE
From the Internet to GPS, inventions by talented scientists and engineers supported by government investments have created good middle class American jobs and transformed the world. That is why the President’s Budget will help America win the future, increasing the nation’s research and development investment as a share of GDP to its highest level since President Kennedy launched the space race.

For some reason, I recall that during his speech, he said 'business' invented the Internet.  Not Al Gore, but some nameless/faceless 'business'...

I recall that the Internet was the child of military research and investment.  I think the internet has been around for over 30 years.  It was the communication tool of the future...a safeguard to ensure that communication would not be cut off by the enemy.  It was a main frame application, long before the PC was in any home, long before any computer graphics.

That same Internet that created good American jobs has watched as those same jobs have moved overseas, aided I believe, by taxpayer money.  Taxpayer money funded by debt, and spending more money on interest payments. 

Where is all of Obama's money for investment to come from?  I believe, from what I've heard, out interest payments on the debt will soon consume more than 80% of our revenue.  Where exactly is that money coming from?

What is government investment likely to add at this point?  Anything?  Or, just create more crony capitalism?  The Internet is yesterday's invention, yesterday's good idea. 

What is the invention of tomorrow?  The miracle that will pay off the national debt?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »

• A new commitment to supporting clean energy technology, paid for by ending taxpayer subsidies for fossil fuels...

I think we've already thrown good money to the wind.  Stimulus money for 'clean energy' sent to create research and jobs in China, and other countries.  Where are the jobs for Americans?  Sure, Americans get to pay for Obama's energy spending, and maintain payments on the debt.

Where are the American jobs for the $4 Trillion Obama added to the debt?

What about all the new taxes and the cost of increasing regulation?  Why isn't Obama focused on making ENERGY AFFORDABLE for Main Street?  Providing SOLUTIONS that make energy really cheaper for families?  Business?

Instead, it seems to be another reshuffling of money, from taxpayers, creating debt, and delivered to crony capitalists, politicians, and foreigners.  NOTHING for Main Street...just the GENERATIONAL DEBT/THEFT/DEBT SLAVERY.

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »

• Putting 1 million advanced technology vehicles on U.S. roads by 2015:...To reach that goal, President Obama will propose in his Budget a new effort to support electric vehicle manufacturing and adoption in the U.S. through improved consumer rebates, investments in R&D, and competitive programs to encourage communities that invest in electric vehicle infrastructure.

How much did 'cash for clunkers' stimulate the economy?  Maybe it stimulated foreign workers more than American?

Why not let the free market decide on the best R&D prospects?

What exactly is 'electric vehicle infrastructure'?  A plug on every street corner?  Parking spot?  Paying the big Wall Street banks for energy from the Obama energy grid?   How many Wall Street banks have invested in energy companies?  Any chances this new energy will be a bargain price?

How likely would cell phones have been if folks had to plug them in everywhere they went?  Every restaurant?

I think new technology would be a cell phone sized fuel cell that didn't require ANYONE to plug in a car.  How likely are there to be ANY advancements in fuel cell technology after Obama has invested trillions in 'electric vehicle infrastructure'?  Old technology?  Tied forever to the money sucking grid? 

With wireless/cell phones, there are a large number of providers, new providers coming on board.  How many providers will there be to refuel your electric vehicle?  One? 

Why invest in yesterday's technology?  Why not explore the better idea?  The next wireless Internet style innovation for electric (or other) vehicle?

Throwing good money after bad and MAKING GENERATIONS OF AMERICANS PAY FOR YESTERDAY'S IDEAS, again. Telling Americans they should reach for the stars and giving them a ZONK instead. 

Just my humble opinion. 

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:43 AM »

Social Security, Bernie Madoff, South Korea/Mexico, and Main Street

Obama mentioned Social Security and South Korea several times.

Reform Social Security.  Folks can work a lifetime, 60 or more years and end up with the same benefits as someone who contributed only 10 years of labor.  With immigration reform, how many illegal aliens and foreigners will qualify? 

Folks that just paid sales tax?  Wouldn't it be great if every American could keep the fruit of their labor, just like those here illegally?  Get more than they paid in, just like illegals?  And get welfare too?

If Americans invested in Madoff, they'd likely get some money back.  How about a refund for all the money paid into Social Security?  Seems like Social Security is a bigger version of what Madoff did, but Social Security is inviting folks off the street, to come illegally to reap the rewards for a safety net they didn't contribute to in the same way as their American neighbors. 

Obama - Globalize Social Security benefits - free money for every global citizen, socialize the cost among fat cat jobless/homeless Americans on Main Street. 

South Korea and Mexico have retirement plans too.  Any chance Americans could go there, work illegally for 10 years and collect the same benefit as citizens of those countries that contributed for a lifetime?  NO>>>

South Korea and Mexico, last time I looked have a system that pays out ACTUAL contributions plus 3% interest.  Does everyone contribute?  Qualify?  NO. 

Which system is more fair?  The one that rewards illegals?  Or the one that rewards the hard work of everyday people?

How many folks would rather have the pay outs based on contributions or political whims? 

Actual contributions - retire at say age 60. 

Social Security contributions - retire at 75?

Where is my refund?

Why give Washington any money for retirement?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »

• Ending the extension of the tax cuts for the wealthiest 2 percent: The President reiterated his strong opposition to permanent extension of tax cuts for the wealthiest 2 percent.

How about everyone pays their fair share?  If the tax rate is 17%, everyone, regardless of income pays 17%.

Should that person making $100 wonder what Washington is doing with their $17?

Everyone should have some skin in he game, a reason to keep a close eye on the squandering wastrels in Washington.

Even the poorest Americans are wealthy compared to global norms.  Why should Americans be treated like animals in the slaughterhouse to provide for greedy dictators? 

I really think Obama's 2% of the wealthiest is really an excuse to keep looting America to enrich global dictators, global business, and foreigners.  The money doesn't seem to make life in the US better for anyone, except jet setters and politicians.

A liberal TV person noted that it's not really the top 2% in America that seem to own everything, it's really the top 0.5%.  The top 2% includes folks that work for their money and may make a little more than others.

The top 1/2% - where exactly do they get their money?  Why doesn't anyone follow the money?  Who are the top 1/2% of Americans that aren't paying their fair share?  How much do they contribute to politicians?

If liberals or anyone think folks should give more, they should set the example and dig deeper in their own pockets.

I think Washington is the worst deal in America.  If folks want to provide programs for local schools, they can dig into their own pockets.  If folks don't like the local school district, they can move to another. 

Has any more or program run by Washington solved anything?  They all seem to suck up money, make Main Street poorer, and grow the wealth of the top 0.5%.

Why isn't he finding a way to end taxation as we know it?  End the welfare state?  American slavery?  American Debt Bondage?

just my humble opinions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.