April 19, 2024, 02:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 'myth' of the global skill set  (Read 2154 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 30, 2011, 10:25:09 AM »

What exactly is the skill set needed for success in the new global economy? 

I keep reading that Americans do not have it.  This article suggests Egyptians do not have it -

But at the Global Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, some experts said an education overhaul is needed in the region to shift from emphasis on state jobs to more dynamic private sector demands.

“Many people have degrees but they do not have the skill set,” Masood Ahmed, director of the Middle East and Asia department of the International Monetary Fund, said earlier this week.

“The scarce resource is talent,” agreed Omar Alghanim, a prominent Gulf businessman. The employment pool available in the region “is not at all what’s needed in the global economy.”

read more here - http://www.theblaze.com/stories/face-of-mideast-unrest-young-and-hungry-for-jobs/

Why is that mythological skill set?

I read for over two years about factories in the US closing and their old, aging, uncompetitive equipment being sold off to foreigners.  Foreigners who will take it home and make a fortune.

Why can't that same equipment make money in the US?  Employ US workers?

What's the difference?  A government that stifles US business?  Adds more burden on business?  Puts workers on welfare and business 'out of business'?

All these highly educated Egyptian young people and no jobs?  Not enough money to feed children?  Get married?

What's Obama's answer?  Get more education.  Free education.

Where's the economy and jobs for all those educated folks?  The factories for the uneducated?

China has boat loads of highly educated young people that can't find a job.

In the 'new' global economy, it seems like the wealthy global industrialists and politicians keep getting richer, and the rest keep getting poorer...except places like China that keep building more factories.

If China doesn't allow it's currency to fluctuate, how will the playing ground ever be level?

How long before the tear gas canisters are "Made in China" too?

What are the answers in the Middle East?  Cut taxes 50%.  Encourage more private jobs, less public jobs.

Just my humble opinions.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »

Maybe a better title for this thread is the "sham of the global skill set".

Seems like nations all over keep educating folks, young and old, and there are no jobs, no robust economy.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.