April 19, 2024, 12:14:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Be Smokers Among Ye?  (Read 18074 times)
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 02:33:19 PM »

Quote from: "Sam"
I know I have already answered you in a previous post. I did manage to quit for a few months in 1992. I was using the patch.

My step father was a heavy smoker most of his lifetime. He quit when he was in his early 70's not for health reasons but because he almost caught my sis s house on fire. He lived to  be 85. Died of natural causes.

One of the things you must be careful of on statistics, Not all lung cancer is smoker related. I am sure it contributes to some. I suffer from Asthsma as well as COPD. My Dr said, From the time we are born everything we do affects our lungs. He also said it is more prevalent in females because of all the things we expose ourselves to. This includes our cleaning products, perfumes ect....

This is really not a defense of smoking just an explanation of other factors. Of course we are all going to die . JMHO

Hi Sam,

I wasn't really wanting to look at anything to do with lung cancer. I was only interested in how many people who post at SM smoke or don't smoke. It seemed to me from comments people had made in the past that more than 1/5 of our posters are smokers. I was trying to figure out if there was some connection between smoking and spending time on the internet. Don't ask me why I care - it's just one of those weird, geeky things I take an interest in, LOL. Epidemiology was my favorite class in graduate school - what does that say about me?  Confused  Embarassed

I Stand With The Girl
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »

Quote from: "mishy"
BT, I am a smoker, though I don't smoke in the car or the house or around my little pooh...I have cut back to half a pack a day...

I'm thinking about asking my doctor to put me on that new Pfizer quit smoking drug..Chantix...anybody out there heard of it or know anybody that's used it?

Hi Mishy,  saw your post and had to respond.  Yes, there are a couple people at work using Chantrix.  Seems to be working pretty well for them.  You continue to smoke the first week or so, then you slowly start disliking nicotine....

BTW, I too am a smoker, and am planning on trying this new med.  The closest I came to quitting before was using smoking the Quest 3 step.  I also tried the patch.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 05:03:51 PM »

BT...do you smoke?   Smile

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 05:56:36 PM »

Quote from: "MeMere"
BT...do you smoke?   Smile

No, MeMere. I have to be healthy out of necessity - I'm allergic to smoke. I don't have asthma, but whenever I'm around smoke, my body behaves as if I do. After a few minutes, it's as if I'm breathing in but the air isn't going anywhere. It seems to get part way down my throat and stick there. I start getting dizzy and have to get away from the smoke and breathe fresh air.

Sometimes this has seriously limited places I could go. My allergist has ordered me never to be around smoke, so sometimes I have to miss things I want to do.  Sad

I Stand With The Girl
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 06:49:27 PM »

Lifelong non smoker and non drinker here.

Though my lifestyle has been to hang out in a lot of smoky places.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 06:57:30 PM »

I quit:

Eight months, one week, 18 hours, 38 minutes and 55 seconds. 6269 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,097.33. Life saved: 3 weeks, 18 hours, 25 minutes.
 Laughing  Laughing
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
Lifelong non smoker and non drinker here.

Though my lifestyle has been to hang out in a lot of smoky places.

Howdy Carnut  

Good to see you!

I Stand With The Girl
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 07:11:28 PM »

Quote from: "Frijole"
I quit:

Eight months, one week, 18 hours, 38 minutes and 55 seconds. 6269 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,097.33. Life saved: 3 weeks, 18 hours, 25 minutes.
 Laughing  Laughing

Woo Hoo, Beans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! thumright

I Stand With The Girl
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 08:23:57 PM »

I am a smoker.  There I said it!   Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

Quit..sure several times.  I have heard of the new drug, but I am anxious to hear about the side effects.  Please let me know how people are reacting to the drug.

I over react to most medication, not just non smoking types...and I always get the side effects. Very discouraging. Don't even get me started on the Statins.  They are more dangerous than high cholesterol!!!

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 09:59:15 PM »

I am not a smoker.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:01 PM »

BT--I do not smoke.

BRING NATALEE HOME
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 11:20:22 PM »

Non-smoker. Grew up in a family where almost everyone smoked.  I hated it.  That is why I don't smoke now.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 11:21:54 PM »

Hi BT -- I quit smoking in 1982.
hummingbird7525
Scared Monkey

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »

BT,
I am a smoker, (I feel like I am attending some sort of meeting)  Shocked
I started at 15 also, I quit a million times, just haven't been able to make it stick. I think I will print Tibro's stats and make myself read it everyday. I want to be like Beans!! Good for you Very Happy

Good days give you happiness.  Bad days give you experiences.
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 01:03:11 AM »

I am a smoker
But I leave them at home during the day to prevent me from smoking.
So I only smoke when I go out socially or when I am on the computer or watching TV at night. Still manage to smoke about a half a pack though.
I know it's weird but I really have no urges throughout the day. I have talked to others that have experianced the same thing when they smoked my brand...Winston. Now I don't know if it's coincidense or not but Winston has no additives. So I always tell people that want to quit to start by switching to Winston. You may find you don't have as many urges which would make it easier to quit. Me, I just still enjoy smoking when I do so that's why I haven't quit.

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
Atlmetroguy
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 04:59:45 AM »

Heh..Heh...like a chimney....

Probably 3/4 a pack a day, but it all really depends on what I am doing. Having said that I don't smoke in my car, house, office, malls, planes, the Peoples Republic of Gwinnett County or the The Peoples Republic of California.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Huh?? You mean I gotta board now??
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »

I smoke.  My mother smoked.  No, that's not what killed her.  My dad used to smoke.  He quit one year when I was in college and everyone in the house caught the flu.  I probably quit then too.  And started again later.  I have taken classes, gum, the patch, rubber bands and been freaking hypnotized.  

I quit smoking while I was pregnant and nursing.  (Hey, that's pretty good!)  

I know all the bad stuff.  I really do.  If I didn't have my hands full right now, I'd probably try again.

or maybe not.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 01:09:32 PM »

Quote from: "Frijole"
I quit:

Laughing  Laughing

Way to go beans!!!! Congratulations to you!!!! I'm so proud of you for not smoking even during football season, 'cause I know it was stressfull!! Laughing

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 03:25:49 PM »

Quote from: Peaches
I smoke.  My mother smoked.  No, that's not what killed her.  My dad used to smoke.  He quit one year when I was in college and everyone in the house caught the flu.  I probably quit then too.  And started again later.  I have taken classes, gum, the patch, rubber bands and been freaking hypnotized.  

I quit smoking while I was pregnant and nursing.  (Hey, that's pretty good!)  

I know all the bad stuff.  I really do.  If I didn't have my hands full right now, I'd probably try again.

or maybe not.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.[/quote]

Laughing  Laughing That gave me a laugh, Peaches...Love your sense of humor.

My Mom smoked, quit twice in her lifetime and was not a smoker when she passed away.  Dad smoked when I was young but quit...said he never really liked it and only started because others were...he was disappointed when I started smoking in college, reminding me of the health dangers but left it at that.   I just stopped smoking in their presence after a while, by choice, not because they forbade it.  I, too, quit when pregnant and nursing, but went back.  They say that it may take several attempts but most are eventually sucessful.  I may try again, and do know many others who had success with gum, patch, hypnosis or just cold turkey.

BT, maybe you should look into age smoking began before weighing in internet connection...

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »

2NJ - That's a very good suggestion.  Very Happy

Well, folks, thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Here are the current results:

Smokers amongst the general US population = 21%

Smokers amongst posters at SM = 53%

Soooooo...my question to everyone now is - do you think people who spend more time at a computer are also more inclined to be smokers?

I Stand With The Girl
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.