April 24, 2024, 08:02:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Be Smokers Among Ye?  (Read 18344 times)
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2007, 01:39:04 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
Quote from: "A's Fever"
Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
Quote from: "A's Fever"
seamonkey~ What a life saver for your child that you caught that visual! It would be a perfect antismoking ad!

I've come to the conclusion that each smoker must find their own motivation, whatever that may be. I've had it onlt twice. The first was just before my 30th birthday, and a nurse with whom I worked told me that my nails/fingertips were beginning to "club". Apparently a sign of emphysema. Scared the crap out of me. Used (prescription only at that time) nicotine gum for one month (could not afford any more than that), and did not smoke for 3 full years. My relapse was at the end of my brief marriage. He was a smoker. This time around, my motivation was very different. It is actually embarrassing, so I will not go into the how and why, except to say that I realized that it was impacting intimacy with my boyfriend. He did not care, but I sure did! Anyone who wants the awful deatails is free to eamail me! LOL!

What is your email, Justins?

Sorry, this just cracked me up! Laughing  Laughing

I can sooo relate  

Relate to my motivation?

If u b female, A's, I'll get the info to ya!

I b female, lol!  The reason I asked was because I quit smoking a few months after I was married . . . . so I was assuming a story about quitting due to relationship motivation.  However, upon rereading your post, I can see it was something entirely different  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Laughing
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »

Tibro,

Thanks for the smoking information related to Australia. I'm always interested to see how smoking is viewed in other countries. Of course, that's pure selfishness on my part - I want to know how I'll fare with my smoking allergy if I ever visit there.  Laughing

I Stand With The Girl
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »

seamonkey~ What a life saver for your child that you caught that visual! It would be a perfect antismoking ad!

I've come to the conclusion that each smoker must find their own motivation, whatever that may be. I've had it onlt twice. The first was just before my 30th birthday, and a nurse with whom I worked told me that my nails/fingertips were beginning to "club". Apparently a sign of emphysema. Scared the crap out of me. Used (prescription only at that time) nicotine gum for one month (could not afford any more than that), and did not smoke for 3 full years. My relapse was at the end of my brief marriage. He was a smoker. This time around, my motivation was very different. It is actually embarrassing, so I will not go into the how and why, except to say that I realized that it was impacting intimacy with my boyfriend. He did not care, but I sure did! Anyone who wants the awful deatails is free to eamail me! LOL!

Yeah well, it sure did have an impact on me, it still bothers me when I think about what I saw.

and I am too afraid to ask about the details of your revelations, I will just settle on to think it's he didn't like smoker's breath lol.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2007, 01:28:28 PM »

Tibro, I want to respond a little on Australias new litter problem. As you know I am a smoker. I do not litter. If I am outside and do not have access to an ashtray I put the Butts back in my cigarette pack. If I am with friends who throw theres on the ground I will pick it up also and put it in my pack to dispose of later.

I used to make remarks to my friends about littering but friends do not like to be lectured too. So I quit that and try to just pick them up without saying a word.

As this country (USA) try to take more and more of my freedom away I may also rebel. This country was founded on Tobacco and alcohol. I am not a second hand citizen and I resent being treated like one. When Government is allowed to take away one persons rights it is only a matter of time before they take away others.

Example- what about red meat? We all know it is not good for us. Our nation suffers from obesity. A very real health problem just like tobacco and alcohol. Maybe they should make laws on portion control. No more buffet style restruants or fast foods.  Or laws that say we must exercise so many hours per day. Regardless of how you feel about smoking, get real folks it is only a matter of time. It may even be (God forbid) Chocolate.

Just a swinging with the tribe
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2007, 02:03:16 PM »

Chocolate??? NO!! heavens no!! if they do it to chocolate they can do it to ben and Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream..eeekkk!! *erasing this whole thread from the eyes of the
 "we-can-take-all-you-enjoy-away-from-you-at-any-minute-killjoy-lawmakers"
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2007, 05:50:29 PM »

BT-I quit smoking on Sept 12th of this year.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »

Quote from: "Shell"
BT-I quit smoking on Sept 12th of this year.

Congrats, Shell!!!!

I Stand With The Girl
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »

Quote from: "Sam"
It may even be (God forbid) Chocolate.

Nooooooooooooo. Not CHOCKY!!!!!!!!!!  

I Stand With The Girl
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2007, 09:02:01 PM »

Hi BT,

I already responded that I'm a non smoker. When I was a teen, a girlfriend taught me to smoke menthol cigs in a gas station bathroom in Long Beach.  

I smoked a little off and on until I got married to a smoker. When I was pregnant, smoking made me feel sick so I stopped.

Justins, you are right that each smoker must find their own motivation, whatever that may be.  One day when Kristi was four years old, we met my mom at the local grocery store. It was in the olden days when people could smoke anywhere.  Kristi turned around and ran right into my cigarette which burned her eyelid. I stopped smoking.

Years later, when Kristi was in Jr. High School, I was working for a photography company where there was a no smoking rule because smoke did damage to the negatives. On every work break, people ran outside and lit up. This was in June in North Hollywood. It was excruciatingly hot outside with no shade. I realized I didn't like standing outside in the heat in order to smoke. I thought it was ridiculous. So I quit.

In general, I don't have an addictive personality so that's why it was easy to quit. However I've picked up some other addictions along the way that I'm trying to get rid of.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »

Hi BT.

Yup... I'm a smoker... Wish I had never started...
In the process of getting my MIND right to quit once a again.

In the past three weeks I have cut intake in half though.

SeeYa

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2007, 07:58:33 PM »

Hi Sam I have just caught up in this thread and I have to agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I posted the article more to show how far the "powers that be" are going to control the masses.  I do not find that much litter around from smokers providing there are enough receptacles provided by the above "powers that be" to enable folk to keep public areas tidy.  I am much more offended by littering from syringes, condoms and even underwear.
I also see no problem with people smoking out of doors unless they are close to children.  My father smoked heavily (mostly a pipe) and it was not until I left home that my bronchial and sinus problems cleared up considerably.  In those days smoking was not considered a health hazard - in fact it was a rather "cool" thing to do.  I find now that if I attend a function where there is heavy smoking indoors I am ill for nearly a week afterwards.  Much worse and longer lasting than a hangover!  However I do not try to stop the smoking,  I just do not attend functions where I know there is going to be smoking indoors.
People should have the right to smoke if that is their wish and I would staunchly defend their right to do so.  I choose not to as I know how terrifying it is not be able to breathe during an asthma attack.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »

Quote from: "oldfart"
Hi BT.

Yup... I'm a smoker... Wish I had never started...
In the process of getting my MIND right to quit once a again.

In the past three weeks I have cut intake in half though.

SeeYa

Congrats on your progress Oldfart!!!!

I Stand With The Girl
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2007, 08:10:52 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Hi BT,

I already responded that I'm a non smoker. When I was a teen, a girlfriend taught me to smoke menthol cigs in a gas station bathroom in Long Beach.  

I smoked a little off and on until I got married to a smoker. When I was pregnant, smoking made me feel sick so I stopped.

Justins, you are right that each smoker must find their own motivation, whatever that may be.  One day when Kristi was four years old, we met my mom at the local grocery store. It was in the olden days when people could smoke anywhere.  Kristi turned around and ran right into my cigarette which burned her eyelid. I stopped smoking.

Years later, when Kristi was in Jr. High School, I was working for a photography company where there was a no smoking rule because smoke did damage to the negatives. On every work break, people ran outside and lit up. This was in June in North Hollywood. It was excruciatingly hot outside with no shade. I realized I didn't like standing outside in the heat in order to smoke. I thought it was ridiculous. So I quit.

In general, I don't have an addictive personality so that's why it was easy to quit. However I've picked up some other addictions along the way that I'm trying to get rid of.

Louise, I might not be addicted to some of the things that some others have been, but don't anyone try to take away my chocolate or my Diet Dr. Pepper!  Wink

I guess it's safe to say we all have our own addictions to try to deal with.

I Stand With The Girl
NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2007, 12:51:37 PM »

Hey BT I'm a smoker.

I quite for about 14yrs. I saw my Mom die of a horrible cancer. She never smoked, ever nor was around it.  I was so pissed off, sad, etc I started smoking, also (re-)listening to 80's California hardcore & some metal music extremely loud and drinking, many times to the pt of vomitting.  Got hold of the drinking, still listen to the music, not so loud, and still smoke

Of my family and friends maybe 1 in 15 smoke. Of my BF's friends and family about 6 in 10.

PS the method I used to quite (for the 14ys) was the ear clip.
Another PS I don't smoke at my computer. I smoke in the kitchen by the stove exhaust fan to keep my Max Monkey safe from the 2nd hand smoke. However, I have noticed that he always carries his bones or sticks like a cigarrete instead of across his mouth!

Spooky thanks for the tip.

Tamikosmom, I also grew up w/ a wring washer/"dryer", my Gram was not only old but old fashoined!

BT my BF smokes but not often, mostly when on computer.

Sam, I also pick up my butts (hehe sounds funny)

Glenda wrote: "aruba's job was not to babysit Beth's daughter. Beth sent her daughter to swim with the sharks, she is responsible for what ever happened to Natalee." = there is no homicide in aruba, only SUICIDE.  Don't go to aruba if you value your life.
Atlmetroguy
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »

8 weeks smoke free as of this week....

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Huh?? You mean I gotta board now??
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2007, 07:59:33 PM »

Quote from: "Atlmetroguy"

Woo Hoo, Metro! Many, many congrats on your success!!!!!!!!!  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »

Congratulations Atlmetroguy!  That is a great achievement.
BTW when do you come to the Great South Land?  Must be soon?
Don't forget to get my email -  BT or Mishy have it which would save interrupting our busy Klaas.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
Congratulations Atlmetroguy!  That is a great achievement.
BTW when do you come to the Great South Land?  Must be soon?
Don't forget to get my email -  BT or Mishy have it which would save interrupting our busy Klaas.

Tibro - I'll go ahead and send him your email now.  Wink

I Stand With The Girl
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2007, 10:39:11 PM »

Way to go guy!  You are over the worst part.  

I could really relate to your quit because my "reason" for smoking when I was in my 20's was because I was travelling all the time and my cig was my "friend" back in the day when women didn't travel alone.  Some friend huh?

Anyway, I know how tough it is to quit on the road.  Way to go!

Beans
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »

That's great metro!!! You're over the worst part now! I hope you're able to stay strong, and remain a non-smoker. I know it's not easy.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.