April 25, 2024, 10:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "U.S. Gov‘t Software Creates ’Fake People’ " - Identity Theft?  (Read 1811 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 20, 2011, 04:10:28 AM »

U.S. Gov‘t Software Creates ’Fake People’ to Spread Message via Social Networking

he US government is offering private intelligence companies contracts to create software to manage "fake people" on social media sites and create the illusion of consensus on controversial issues.

The contract calls for the development of "Persona Management Software" which would help the user create and manage a variety of distinct fake profiles online. The job listing was discussed in recently leaked emails from the private security firm HBGary after an attack by internet activist last week.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/02/19/us-gov-t-software-creates-fake-people-spread-message-social-networking#ixzz1EULahygE

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:30:36 AM »

US Gov. Software Creates 'Fake People' on Social Networks to Promote Propoganda

According to the contract, the software would "protect the identity of government agencies" by employing a number of false signals to convince users that the poster is in fact a real person. A single user could manage unique background information and status updates for up to 10 fake people from a single computer.

The software enables the government to shield its identity through a number of different methods including the ability to assign unique IP addresses to each persona and the ability to make it appear as though the user is posting from other locations around the world.

Why limit it to 10 fake people? 

Fake voters?  Why is there a government push to give everyone 'government' broadband?  Free internet?  Internet voting?

In the Natalee Holloway case, some tried to promote the idea that Deepak Kalpoe and Joran van der Sloot were at the computer based on the fact that 'only they' would know their email passwords. 

Couldn't anyone have been at the keyboard?

Even the most restrictive and security conscious of persons can be exploited. Through the targeting and information reconnaissance phase, a person’s hometown and high school will be revealed. An adversary can create a classmates.com account at the same high school and year and find out people you went to high school with that do not have Facebook accounts, then create the account and send a friend request. Under the mutual friend decision, which is where most people can be exploited, an adversary can look at a targets friend list if it is exposed and find a targets most socially promiscuous friends, the ones that have over 300-500 friends, friend them to develop mutual friends before sending a friend request to the target. To that end friend’s accounts can be compromised and used to post malicious material to a targets wall. When choosing to participate in social media an individual is only as protected as his/her weakest friend."

Continue reading on Examiner.com: US Gov. Software Creates 'Fake People' on Social Networks to Promote Propoganda - National Social Media | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/social-media-in-national/us-gov-software-creates-fake-people-on-social-networks-to-promote-propoganda#ixzz1EUM4ZxoJ

In a world where folks want to end the postal service and refuse to consider service reductions or innovation in home delivery, why create fake user identities?

Why try and convince people that a social media identity is real?  Create phony ISP's?

Online voting?  Neat idea, huh?  Just set up millions of phone user ID's, create millions of 'false signals' and vote yourself into office? 

And, government uses the programs?  Pays for it with tax dollars?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:34:05 AM »

Why the big push by Washington politicians to suggest social media is a 'right'?

Surely the illiterate in all those Middle Eastern countries, likely many are good people, don't use the internet or social media?

How 'social' is it to exclude smart and illiterate people from the voting process or formation of government? 

Exclude people outside the internet/computer realm from voting?  Being informed?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:48:39 AM »

What makes a voter real?  The ability to send an email? 

In an era when the Obama administration seems to want $5 or $20 a gallon gas, how many in rural areas will be able to afford to assemble and protest in person?

Urban folks can walk or take 'public' transportation, paid for by everyone.

Will Obama's energy policies disenfranchise millions?

In the recent Madison/Walker issues, Walker is reportedly receiving thousands of emails that support his position.

Isn't it possible that this a contraction that will some day give birth to 'false' signals from 'phony' WASHINGTON/Political controlled phony voter/identities?

How do you know if folks are real, unless you get out and walk your district?  Rely on trusted aids to 'walk' the district?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:50:30 AM »

For some reason, Washington seems to look the other way at millions of potential bogus Social Security numbers used to send data to the IRS for taxes, ignores millions of bogus unregistered Social Security number, and TIN numbers used by illegal aliens and others.

Why?

Why, when they seem to be starting a new industry of CREATING millions of bogus internet identities?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:51:14 AM »

False signals?  This 'identity' apparently paid taxes for the past 10 years?  Maybe it was really 100 folks here illegally or legal folks avoiding taxes?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.