April 19, 2024, 04:07:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DO YOU AGREE WITH THE COURT CALIFORNIA COURT DECISION  (Read 6882 times)
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 14, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »

I sympathize with this woman.  If the marijauna is helping her with her pain why don't they leave her alone.

California Court: Woman Who Is Kept Alive by Marijauna Can Face Federal Drug Charges

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO —  A California woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive is not immune from federal prosecution on drug charges, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The case was brought by Angel Raich, an Oakland mother of two who suffers from scoliosis, a brain tumor, chronic nausea and other ailments. On her doctor's advice, she eats or smokes marijuana every couple of hours to ease her pain and bolster a nonexistent appetite as conventional drugs did not work.

The Supreme Court ruled against Raich two years ago, saying that medical marijuana users and their suppliers could be prosecuted for breaching federal drug laws even if they lived in a state such as California where medical pot is legal.

Because of that ruling, the issue before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was narrowed to the so-called right to life theory: that marijuana should be allowed if it is the only viable option to keep a patient alive.

Raich, 41, began sobbing when she was told of the decision and said she would continue using the drug.

"I'm sure not going to let them kill me," she said. "Oh my God."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

I am stunned by this, when Rick lost over 70 pounds in two months due to a lack of appetite his oncologist offered to 'prescribe' marijuana for him, he declined but I would have given anything for him to eat too. So CA needs to stop this madness, this poor woman is crippled with these diseases.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »

IMO this poor woman should be allowed to contiune with the marijuana if its helping her with her medical problems.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:16:32 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
I am stunned by this, when Rick lost over 70 pounds in two months due to a lack of appetite his oncologist offered to 'prescribe' marijuana for him, he declined but I would have given anything for him to eat too. So CA needs to stop this madness, this poor woman is crippled with these diseases.

None I did not lose as much weight as you describe Rick losing. I would have been dead if I had. I am glad I was a little over weight so I could have the weight to lose.

I did not suffer from loss of appetite. I was very hungry but could not keep anything down. Everything gagged me. Someone told me about marijuana being a great anti nausea drug. Because I was so hungry I tried it once. It worked. I was able to eat some salad and keep it down. It tasted so good. My hubby was furious at me but when he seen me manage to eat the salad he got over it. I think I was at the 2 month stage at the time. I never used it again but I was able to gradualy eat a few other things plus my hunger subsided.Here I was trying marijuana for the first time at 68 1/2 years old.

Yes I think the court was wrong. I think the laws can sometimes be ridiculous for those who are ill or dying. JMHO

Just a swinging with the tribe
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:09 PM »

The people of the State of California voted for legal medical marijuana. The federal government won't allow the California voters to have what they voted for.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 10:52:30 PM »

I have always thought that medical marijuana use should be allowed.  When my best friend was suffering with cancer, her brother brought some to her from the city.  She never used it, though it would have helped.  She had terrible effects following chemo and then, when they found cancer cells in her spinal fluid they put a shunt in her head and injected chemo there.  (Sorry to be so graphic, but dammit, that's the way it was.)  She had two cerebral hemorrages (sp?) and the second took her life.  Doctors patronized her and she despised them after a while.  When she passed and we were clearing her apt...I told her brother to take the joints...they sat in a box all that while.   Have not heard or read anything to the contrary about it's affect on nausea, appetite and after effects of chemo or radiation treatments.  God help me this brings back so much.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:06:48 PM »

Sam, I am glad you used it, cancer treatments sap every ounce of one's strength and you don't smoke it for jollies either. One of my best memories is watching Rick eat chocolate covered strawberries which MeMere sent me for my birthday, nothing was ever more special than to see him finally eat something with relish.

Louise, that's unbelievable and with college and high school students smoking it night and day across the country, CA needs to fight back on this one. Where is Arnold? Surely he can do something?

NJSons_Mom, I know you shudder to remember what your friend went through, a stupid fight over a deathly ill person using marijuana so they can ingest food.......just a tragedy for this poor woman and so many others who are fighting to live however they can.

I continue to stand with the girl.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »

Many otherwise illegal drugs are used legally for medicinal purposes.  We should defer to doctors here.  This ruling is ridiculous.
hummingbird7525
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:44:53 PM »

This just breaks my heart to hear stories like this.  I say let her smoke it, eat it, wear it, cook with it, if it gives her any relief at all...The poor woman should not have to worry about being arrested either, with all the other stress she lives with.

Good days give you happiness.  Bad days give you experiences.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:56:29 PM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
Many otherwise illegal drugs are used legally for medicinal purposes.  We should defer to doctors here.  This ruling is ridiculous.

Exactly - it's OK to prescribe Methadone but not Marijuana?  Does that make sense?

Nonesuche - Californian's voted yes for the medical marijuana law.  The problem is the Federal law trumps the State law.  It really sucks.
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 12:13:36 AM »

An  emphatic NO!

I do NOT agree with any laws prohibiting the use of medicinal Marijuana.
Good grief, some of our other "prescription" drugs carry far more side effects that can even result in death..but...those are okay.
Stupid.

I think most of our drug laws are absurd which is why there is so much crime and addiction in this country that is related to drugs.

Its all a matter of who lines the pockets of the powerful politicians as to what is outlawed and what is not, IMHO.

Let the people that need these drugs HAVE them.

I am soooooo sick of all the petty laws that are intruding on our lives everyday in this country, as if these politicians KNOW what is best for us. Cripes.
I wish all the old doofers in the government would retire, go home and rock their grandbabies and stay the heck out of our private lives.
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »

I watched an uncle die of cancer and you might say a nephew scored some illegal herbs to help.No admissions here,but I would help again.The law is not always right.THE PEOPLE VOTED..CAT

Live with hope,looking for justice
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »

Quote from: "Artcolley"
An  emphatic NO!

I do NOT agree with any laws prohibiting the use of medicinal Marijuana.
Good grief, some of our other "prescription" drugs carry far more side effects that can even result in death..but...those are okay.
Stupid.

I think most of our drug laws are absurd which is why there is so much crime and addiction in this country that is related to drugs.

Its all a matter of who lines the pockets of the powerful politicians as to what is outlawed and what is not, IMHO.

Let the people that need these drugs HAVE them.

I am soooooo sick of all the petty laws that are intruding on our lives everyday in this country, as if these politicians KNOW what is best for us. Cripes.
I wish all the old doofers in the government would retire, go home and rock their grandbabies and stay the heck out of our private lives.

I loved all the responses on this thread. Of course we all knew Monkeys are very caring people.

I think my problem with the Government interfering and making stupid laws is we have so many laws for other things they could be enforcing.Such as convicting the child sex offenders and predators among the populace. JMHO

Just a swinging with the tribe
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 08:46:07 PM »

Personally I think the Feds need to stay out of it. The state has legalized it for medicinal purposes.
IMO the Feds should spend their spare time doing something about these damn perverts in our country & leave this poor lady alone.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 09:15:37 PM »

Quote from: "yapperz1"
Personally I think the Feds need to stay out of it. The state has legalized it for medicinal purposes.
IMO the Feds should spend their spare time doing something about these damn perverts in our country & leave this poor lady alone.

I agree Yap.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »

I agree with everything you all have said.

Maine, born and raised!
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 01:05:25 PM »

Gosh ya'll - I agree with you.  A word that comes to mind is PRIORITIES. Where is the Federal Governments priorities? For Pete's sakes....This country is going to hell in a  hand basket and they decide to pick on a poor dying lady?  WTF??????

Is she HARMING anyone in any way?  NO.  This is just her, trying to find relief from something that is taking her life away.  I guarantee there are 100's if not 1000's who could benefit from medical marijuanna and will not try it because of the stigma of it being "against the law"  

Like others have said - look at all these prescription drugs that are legal, yet have Horrible side effects.  

I guess if one of the big Pharmacutical Companys backed this, greased some pockets, it would all be hunky dorey.  PPFFFFFFTTTTT.

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »

i agree...this poor lady should not have to deal with an arrest....but...there is a prescription medication with a concentrated form of THC...Marinol...in a capsule form...that prescribed by a dr would not be illegal????
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.