April 20, 2024, 07:09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article 5 Convention News  (Read 1398 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 28, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »

The more I hear and read about an Article 5 Convention, the more I wonder.

Would an Article 5 Convention possibly stop the madness in Washington?  Balance the budget?  Press the restart button?

CENTRAL TEXAS — The Texas Senate on Feb. 23 adopted a resolution, 24-7, requesting Congress to propose a federal balanced-budget amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

"All of us want to get to the goal of a balanced budget," Van de Putte said. "What you are bringing forth is a threat mechanism."

Many in opposition to the resolution expressed concerned that a constitutional convention could potentially open the doors for radical amendments to the Constitution. Senators amended the resolution to ensure that if a convention were called it would only concern a balanced budget amendment.

read more here - http://impactnews.com/leander-cedar-park/255-recent-news/11797-texas-senate-urges-congress-to-pass-balanced-budget-amendment

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »

Requesting constitutional convention risky but necessary

Requesting to hold a constitutional convention can be risky business. Two Utah representatives are looking to do just that. Rep. Brad Daw, R-Orem, would like to see an amendment passed requiring a majority of states to approve any increase in the federal debt ceiling. That will take a lot of lumber.

Rep. David Clark, R-Santa Clara, is proposing an amendment allowing a super-majority of states to overturn a federal policy. Can we say "national health care"? Article 5 of the Constitution addresses exactly how a constitutional convention shall come about. You may want to pull out your copy and review it.

read more here - http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20110204/OPINION/102040306/Requesting+constitutional+convention+risky+but+necessary

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.