April 18, 2024, 07:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Carry-On Luggage Costing Taxpayers, TSA Millions a Year" - Really?  (Read 1344 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 04, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »

Why?

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Congress this week that luggage fees have prompted more passengers to hold onto their bags, which means more items for Transportation Security Administration officers to inspect at security checkpoints at a cost of about $260 million annually.

Maybe you could lay off folks in checked bag areas to make ends meet?

"When you have to pay to check a bag it increases carry-on luggage and that means there is more to inspect at the gate and so forth for passengers to get on planes," Napolitano said during testimony before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee on homeland security.

A bag is a bag in my mind.  Why should it matter if you check it or carry it on?  Doesn't ALL luggage get the same strict security check?

Hmmm...why would it cost anyone MORE?

Why not reallocate resources?  Move people from 'checked baggage' security to carry on security?  Why is that so hard?

Without commenting on the question of airlines paying more, Napolitano said an increase in airport security fees -- passengers pay up to $5 for each one-way ticket -- would bring her department about $600 million a year.

The big problem?  Janet's DHS was paying rent for people.  Big stories in the news, lots of money for rent and who knows what.  I think this is just another tax and money will go to other earmarks and programs.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/04/carry-luggage-costing-taxpayers-tsa-millions-year/#ixzz1FeKUI5bt

Why aren't they using the money they smarter?  Cut loose or reassign the checked bag people?

Waste, fraud, and abuse of taxpayer money?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

Better still?  Privatize the TSA, let the airlines do this or choose to oursource it.

Maybe service would improve and we wouldn't need the body scanners, groping, and long lines?

Better for everyone?  TSA employees, passengers, taxpayers, and airlines?

Win-win for everyone!!!

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.