March 28, 2024, 12:56:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING TO PET OWNERS - 60 Mil Cont's of Pet Food Recalled  (Read 57727 times)
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »

Dang it, IBE! I'm trying to at least stop my weight gain, and you bring up nonesy's cookies! As soon as I read that, my mouth started watering!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »

Thank you justins, I honestly just went to buy organic flour I am so darn concerned about this recall even as it impacts human foods and grains ! Like you we're watching our cats also, we have one that has had a urinary tract infection too. You become paranoid don't you?

The totals of pets having died exceeds 2,000 now and we've used more expensive foods always but now even those are being drawn in? Where does this end?

I know our vet whose vet tech's cat was so sick only realized it was the food simply because when it became sick and stayed at the vet's for treatment in the boarding quarters, only when it returned home <eating a different food there> did they put this together early on, which is why that cat has survived. I would hope many vets are quickly making assessment with foods when they are seeing and treating sick pets lately?

I continue to stand with the girl.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 11:01:59 AM »

I am becoming paranoid over it! My cat before Milo, Emily, ate IAMS and Science Diet her entire life. And I used to get Milo's food by prescription, and now even that brand may be effected! These are our furry babies. Whatever the cause, whether intentional or not, must be pinpointed and corrected. As awful as it is with our four footed children, it would be catastrophic if people food were involved. Maybe we do need to take some steps back, and return to some of the "old ways". We have become too dependent on those with whom we have no connection or oversight.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 11:04:04 AM »

Oh, and I do LOVE iced cookies! Heck, I love all cookies! I'm the original cookie monster! Yum!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »

justins I am glad you and others love iced cookies, thrilled  Laughing  Laughing I had one for breakfast  Embarassed

Read this, I declare the more I read the more concerned I become. I will tell you this, I am checking every food stuff we do use in our cookies today at length !

The scientists in Canada and even some with universities here, still don't agree that melamine may be the culprit? The FDA also is "still investigating" so the latest determination isn't a complete one. So disturbing....

About 70 percent of the wheat gluten used in the United States for human and pet food is imported from the European Union  and Asia, according to the Pet Food Institute, an industry group. Menu Foods used wheat gluten to thicken the gravy of its "cuts and gravy" style wet pet foods, FDA officials have said.

One veterinarian suggested the international sourcing of ingredients would force the U.S. "to come to grips with a reality we had not appreciated."

http://tinyurl.com/2r6yr5

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »

How much sense does it make to IMPORT our grains?!

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 12:45:39 PM »

Here is one of my favorite articles on pet nutrition.  I usually enclose a copy of it when I have puppies going to their new homes.

http://tinyurl.com/23jeq4

The ARF and BARF diets do work wonderfully but may be more difficult for adult or elderly dogs to adjust to.  Raw foods.  Also a crockpot of chicken and rice can be frozen and used for many days.

We have so many regulations and restrictions placed on our own crops that we can import them much cheaper.  Environmentalists have eliminated just about all pesticides, at least any that actually work and things like that add to the cost of production and are of questionable benefit.

Oh, and please keep in mind that ORGANIC DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NOT IMPORTED!  

We need more information about countries of origin!

I also advise only using glass, ceramic or stainless steel feeding bowls because of plastic being so toxic to dogs.  If their saliva will dissolve bones, what might it do to plastic?  Bet some of those cans are lined with that white teflon like coating.

If they are not telling the truth about what the problem is, how can vets treat the sick animals correctly?  If they are treating them based on blood-thinning rat poison and the problem is some chemical plastic, how's that going to work out?

Last I saw 2,603 deaths both feline and canine.

Evil or Very Mad

I think there is a cover up going on and we are not being given adequate information to even treat our sick animals!  Who is the FDA protecting here?  Doesn't seem to be our pets!

Sad

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 01:51:09 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260784,00.html

List of Pet Food Brand Names Subject to Recall
Saturday , March 31, 2007

Recalled Dog Product Information

• Alpo Prime Cuts, Nestle Purina

http://www.purina.com/company/press/2007/MightyDog.aspx

• Americas Choice, Preferred Pets

• Authority

• Award

• Best Choice

• Big Bet

• Big Red

• Bloom

• Cadillac

• Companion

• Demoulas Market Basket

• Eukanuba

• Food Lion

• Giant Companion

• Great Choice

• Hannaford

• Hill Country Fare

• Hy-Vee

• Iams

• Laura Lynn

• Loving Meals

• Meijers Main Choice

• Mighty Dog Pouch

• Mixables

• Nutriplan

• Nutro Max

• Nutro Natural Choice

• Nutro Ultra

• Nutro

• Ol'Roy Canada

• Ol'Roy US

• Paws

• Pet Essentials

• Pet Pride - Good n Meaty

• Presidents Choice

• Price Chopper

• Priority Canada

• Priority US

• Publix

• Roche Brothers

• Save-A-Lot Choice Morsels

• Schnucks

• Shep Dog

• Springsfield Prize

• Sprout

• Stater Brothers

• Stop & Shop Companion

• Tops Companion

• Wegmans Bruiser

• Weis Total Pet

• Western Family US

• White Rose

• Winn Dixie

• Your Pet

Recalled Cat Product Information

• Americas Choice, Preferred Pets

• Authority

• Best Choice

• Companion

• Compliments

• Demoulas Market Basket

• Eukanuba

• Fine Feline Cat

• Food Lion

• Foodtown

• Giant Companion

• Hannaford

• Hill Country Fare

• Hill's Pet Nutrition Prescription Diet

• Hy-Vee

• Iams

• Laura Lynn

• Li'l Red

• Loving Meals

• Meijer's Main Choice

• Nutriplan

• Nutro Max Gourmet Classics

• Nutro Natural Choice

• Paws

• Pet Pride

• Presidents Choice

• Price Chopper

• Priority US

• Save-A-Lot Special Blend

• Schnucks

• Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans

• Sophistacat

• Special Kitty Canada

• Special Kitty US

• Springfield Prize

• Sprout

• Stop & Shop Companion

• Tops Companion

• Wegmans

• Weis Total Pet

• Western Family US

• White Rose

• Winn Dixie

Evanger's Dog and Cat Food products are not part of the pet food recall.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 03:34:32 PM »

Klaas,

Thank you for posting the most recent recall info.  I went through the canned dog food we have here after reading.  Have both Alpo & Pedigree brands in the closet.  None of the Alpo seemed to have come from the center in question.  Phew!!!  This is never ending.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »

Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
Klaas,

Thank you for posting the most recent recall info.  I went through the canned dog food we have here after reading.  Have both Alpo & Pedigree brands in the closet.  None of the Alpo seemed to have come from the center in question.  Phew!!!  This is never ending.

So far Pedigree is OK I think
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »

From the Pedigree website:

http://www.pedigree.com/petfoodrecall.asp

Dog lovers,

We would like you to know that PEDIGREE® Food For Dogs is not a part of the recent nationwide pet food recall initiated by Menu Foods and other companies. The safety of products not involved in the recall was validated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on March 23, 2007. According to the FDA, pet owners should feel confident feeding unrecalled products to their pets. All of our PEDIGREE® products remain a safe, nutritious and delicious way to feed your best friends.

As dog lovers ourselves, the safety and nutritional quality of our food is our top priority, and you should continue to feel confident feeding our food to your dog.

For details on the recall, contact Menu Foods at 1-866-895-2708, 1-866-463-6738 or visit the company's web site at: www.menufoods.com/recall.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »

Daughter said this website has reviews of all foods www.dogaware.com and we just picked up the Felidae brand dry food for our cats for it has human grade ingredients and they seem to like it, they were nudging each other out of the food bowl. There is also a Canidae brand for dogs.

Anna I know Rick used to feed our cats that fancy feast and I discouraged it, but it has what appears to be a teflon coating inside the can? I never ever thought once about that......until now !

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 06:39:36 PM »

OMG, none! Never thought about teflon before! Where do you get the cat food you are now feeding?

Off to read the ingredients in Milo's food bag...

Purina ONE Special Care Urinary Tract Health Formula

Ingredients

Corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, chicken, brewers rice, wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), egg product, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, animal digest, sodium caseinate, defluorinated phosphate, L-lysine, dried whey, salt, choline chloride, taurine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (A, D-3, E, B-12), riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, citric acid, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
K-4158

Is it only wheat gluten? Wouldn't any wheat product include gluten?

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 06:50:15 PM »

Purina has recalled Alpo Prime Cuts for dogs.

Water , Poultry , Lamb , Meat By-Products , Wheat Gluten , Wheat Flour , Corn Starch-Modified , Whole Rice , Salt , Potassium Chloride , Tricalcium Phosphate , Sodium Tripolyphosphate , Added Color , Natural Flavor , Zinc Sulfate , Choline Chloride , Vitamin E Supplement , Ferrous Sulfate , Thiamin Mononitrate , Copper Sulfate , Manganese Sulfate , Vitamin A Acetate , Niacin , Calcium Pantothenate , Riboflavin Supplement , Vitamin B-12 Supplement , Vitamin D-3 Supplement , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Potassium Iodide , Folic Acid , Sodium Selenite , Biotin.

Wheat flour and wheat gluten are listed. So does this mean there is no gluten in wheat flour?

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 07:06:53 PM »

Just researched wheat gluten for a bit. Apparently it is culled from wheat, and  is high in protein.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »

Now Del Monte joins the recall.  This is Snausages, Gravy Train, etc.  Just days ago we were told these were safe so I bought some and fed my dogs!!!  Had they told the truth to start with, this would not have happened!!

I am becoming very frustrated that one day we are assured a product is safe as with Del Monte and then a few days later, they recall it!!  So now I am stuck with over a case of food I cannot use that I bought since the recall because it was canned in the USA and I was told it was safe.  And no, Gravy Train is not listed but I am not about to feed it to my dogs because just a few days ago, Del Monte was safe, we were told.  Maybe I will feed it to my dogs and it will only THEN be determined to be too contaminated.

Some of this information we should have been told long ago!!

Check out all the treats listed now as well.  

Article:
Del Monte Pet Products Voluntarily Withdraws Specific Product Codes of Pet Treats and Wet Dog Food Products
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As a precautionary measure, Del Monte Pet Products is voluntarily recalling select product codes of its pet treat products sold under the Jerky Treats®, Gravy Train® Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels® brands as well as select dog snack and wet dog food products sold under private label brands. A complete list of affected brands and products is below.

The Company took this voluntary recall action immediately after learning this morning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied to Del Monte Pet Products from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine. Melamine is a substance not approved for use in food. The FDA made this finding as part of its ongoing investigation into the recent pet food recall.

The adulteration occurred in a limited production quantity on select product codes of the brands below. This recall removes all Del Monte pet products with wheat gluten procured from this manufacturing facility from retail shelves.

No other Del Monte Pet Products treats, biscuits or wet dog food products are impacted by this recall, and no Del Monte dry cat food, dry dog food, wet cat food or pouched pet foods are subject to this voluntary recall. The affected products comprise less than one-tenth of one percent of Del Monte Pet Products’ annual pet food and pet treat production.

Del Monte Pet Products has proactively engaged and fully cooperated with the FDA since the start of its investigation. The adulterated ingredients were used in limited production over the last three months for those items identified by specific product codes. Del Monte Pet Products has not used wheat gluten from this manufacturing facility in China in any other pet products except those described below.

Consumers should discontinue feeding the products with the Product Codes detailed below to their pets.

Del Monte Pet Products are 100% guaranteed and all returned product will be refunded.

Del Monte Pet Products customers can visit our website (www.delmonte.com) or contact our Consumer Hotline at (800) 949-3799 for further information about the recall and for instructions on obtaining a product refund.

Following is a list of the Products and Best Buy Dates that have been voluntarily recalled:

Production Code/Best By Date

BRANDED

Jerky Treats Beef Flavor
  Code:   TP7C05   TP7B07   TP7B08   TP7B09   TP6B10  
Dog Snacks
  Best By:   Aug 05 08   Aug 07 08   Aug 08 08   Aug 09 08   Aug 10 08  

Code:   TP7B15   TP7C05   TP7C06      
  Best By:   Aug 15 08   Sep 02 08   Sep 03 08      

Gravy Train Beef Sticks
  Code:   TP7B19   TP7B20   TP7B21      
Dog Snacks
  Best By:   Aug 19 08   Aug 20 08   Aug 21 08      

Pounce Meaty Morsels Moist
  Code:   TP7C07   TP7C12        
Chicken Flavor Cat Treats
  Best By:   Sep 04 08   Sep 09 08        

PRIVATE LABEL

Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Jerky Strips
  Code:   TP7B06   TP7B07   TP7C05   TP7C06   TP7C07  
Dog Treats
  Best By:   Aug 06 08   Aug 07 08   Sep 02 08   Sep 03 08   Sep 04 08  

Code:   TP7C08          
  Best By:   Sep 05 08          

Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Snack
  Code:   TP7B19   TP7B20   TP7B21   TP7C08   TP7C09  
Sticks Dog Treats
  Best By:   Aug 19 08   Aug 20 08   Aug 21 08   Sep 05 08   Sep 06 08  

Ol' Roy Bark'n Bac'n Beef &
  Code:   TP7C14          
Bacon Flavor Dog Treats
  Best By:   Sep 11 08          

Ol' Roy with Beef Hearty Cuts
  Code:   BC6M21          
in Gravy Dog Food
  Best By:   Dec 21 09          

Ol' Roy with Beef Hearty Strips
  Code:   BC7A19          
in Gravy Dog Food
  Best By:   Jan 19 10          

Ol' Roy Country Stew Hearty
  Code:   BC6M15          
Cuts in Gravy Dog Food
  Best By:   Dec 15 09          

Dollar General Beef Flavored
  Code:   TP7C06          
Jerky Strips Dog Treats
  Best By:   Sep 03 08          

Dollar General Beef Flavored
  Code:   TP7B20   TP7B21        
Beef Sticks Dog Treats
  Best By:   Aug 20 08   Aug 21 08        

Happy Tails Beef Flavor
  Code:   TPY7B08   TP7B09        
Jerky Strips
  Best By:   Aug 08 08   Aug 09 08        

Happy Tails Meaty Cuts with Beef
  Code:   BC7A29          
in Gravy Dog Food
  Best By:   Jan 29 10          

As part of the pet community, we value the health and well-being of pets, and we deeply regret this unfortunate situation. We will continue to take any and all actions necessary to ensure the quality and safety of our products.

Contacts
Del Monte Foods
Mary Sestric, 412-222-8091
Or
Melissa Murphy-Brown, 412-222-8713

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »

Here is a list of foods supposedly not effected by the recall.  Well, that's today they aren't but yesterday neither was Del Monte so how do we know they will not be recalled tomorrow????   Evil or Very Mad

And notice just how many are made at the same plants or factories!!  I am shocked as I did not know it was this bad.  What if a company runs a batch right behind a contaminated batch by another company?

Daily more products are being recalled so right now I don't feel much of anything is safe.  I guess tomorrow I will go buy chicken and rice and make my own until this is under control.

How can this all have happened just suddenly like this?  I am beginning to feel very paranoid and wondering if this is some sort of attack or attempt to contaminate the entire food supply?  It is massive and growing by the day!  Wassup with all this, anyway???

So just because a food is listed as OK TODAY does NOT mean it will be OK tomorrow!

Article:

[updated March 31, 7:47 pm CST]

With the massive pet food recall that is going on, I have had people asking me what pet food is safe. At this point, feeding our pets any commercially prepared food can feel quite risky. The following companies have made statements that their food is not affected by the Menu Foods recall. Keep in mind that we are not “recommending” any of these foods. Rather, we’re compiling a list of foods that are reported safe by the manufacturers.

For those with just the business name listed, we have obtained information from their websites. We will be contacting them for further information and will update the list appropriately as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT SHARING THIS LIST: Obviously we want the word to get out to as many people as possible about what is and is NOT on the recall list. This list is meant to be shared, but rather than copying and pasting the list on other websites, please direct people to this post. That way people will have the most up-to-date version. I’d hate to remove a business name because of new findings and have that not show up on other versions of the list.

Abady Dog Food Company, Ltd. (verified with company president 3/28/07)

No products made by Menu Foods
Products do not contain wheat gluten
All ingredients are from US suppliers
Most products are manufactured in their own facility
Food that is outsourced is manufactured with Abady formulas
All American Pet Company (verified by company 3/30/07)

Brands Include Bow Wow Breakfast, Chompions, Barkfast Squares, and Chewa-Bunga
No products made by Menu Foods (never have used them)
Manufacturer is CJ Foods
All ingredients are from US suppliers
No products contain wheat gluten
Artemis - Holistic Pet Food (verified by company 3/26/07)

Do not use Menu Foods but will not disclose name of manufacturer.
All ingredients are from the USA except New Zealand lamb.
They test every batch and submit a sample to the USDA for testing.
Test for proximates, salmonella, bacteria.
No wheat corn, soy, or wheat gluten is used in their products
Aunt Jeni’s (Home Made 4 Life) (verified by company 3/22/07)

They make all their own food (no outsourcing)
No wheat products of any kind
Azmira Holistic Animal Care Products (verified by company 3/26/07)

Manufacturer of canned foods is “proprietary information” but they are not involved in recall.
Only supplies/ingredients that do not come from the US are lamb from New Zealand, and sea meal from Scotland.
Back to Basics (verified by company 3/30/07)

No products made by Menu Foods (have never used Menu)
Manufactured by Chenango Valley Pet Foods in Sherburne, NY, a USDA inspected Facility
No wheat, soy, gluten products of any kind, sugar, fillers or byproducts
No Chemicals or Artificial Preservatives
All human-grade ingredients
All ingredients are from US suppliers - suppliers do not outsource for their ingredients
Rigorous testing is performed due to finished product export to other countries.
Manufacturer of Back to Basics is not amongst the dry foods being investigated for possible melamine contamination
Beneful (Nestle Purina)

Bil-Jac (verified via website 3/27/07)

All grains used in Bil-Jac products are grown and harvested domestically.
Blackwood Pet Food (verified by company 3/28/07)

Brands include Adirondack and Blackwood
Foods manufactured by Ohio Pet Foods and Evangers
No wheat gluten is used in their products
All domestic ingredients except for lamb from New Zealand
Blue Buffalo (verified by company 3/27/07)

Brands include BLUE for dogs, and Spa Select for Cats
No products made by Menu Foods (have never used Menu)
Products do not contain wheat gluten, soy, or corn
All ingredients from US except lamb from New Zealand
They do not manufacture food in their own facility. Manufacturer is confidential but they have their own vets and staff on location at all times and ingredients are tested before and after each run.
Blue Seal (verified by company 3/22/07)

Brands include Blue Seal, Bright Life, By Nature, Life Stages
Menu Foods manufactures Blue Seal - The Loaf Style wet, but it is not involved in the recall.
Menu Foods is not used for any of their other products.
Breeder’s Choice (verified by company 3/27/07)

Brands include Active Care, Advanced Pet Diets Select Choice, AvoDerm Select Cuts, Health Food for Dogs, Pinnacle
Canned manufactured by Menu Foods, and American Nutrition
The only products manufactured for them by Menu Foods are AvoDerm 3oz. can and Pinnacle canned dog & cat food
The only product they use wheat gluten in is Active Care cat treats (healthy joint treats)
Canidae (verified by company 3/28/07)

Brands include Canidae and Felidae
All ingredients are grown in the US and are also processed here.
No wheat gluten is used in their products.
All products are free of corn, wheat, soy and all grain fractions
Canine Caviar (verified via website 3/25/07)

Products contain no wheat or corn
Castor & Pollux Pet Works (verified via website 3/23/07)

Brands include Organix & Ultramix
Wet foods made by Menu Foods but not involved in the recall.
The wheat gluten product in tainted foods is not used in their foods.
Cesar

See Mars Pet Food
Champion Petfoods, Ltd. (verified by company 3/25/07)

Brands include Origen and Acana
Own and operate their own production facilities in Morinville, Alberta, Canada
They make their own foods exclusively - their mandate is to produce world-class foods from fresh regional ingredients. That means almost all of their ingredients (over 90% for ORIJEN) are raised, fished or farmed within western Canada.
Only imported ingredients are lamb from New Zealand and rice from California - these are used in their ACANA brand foods.
They do not, and never have, had their brands produced or co-packed by any other pet food producer.
They do not use glutens or other vegetable proteins in any of their foods.
ORIJEN and ACANA foods are not on any recall list.
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul

See Diamond Pet Foods
Del Monte Pet Products

Brands include Cycle, Kibbles ‘n Bits, MeowMix, Nature’s Recipe, Reward, Skippy, 9Lives
Diamond Pet Foods (verified by company 3/28/07)

Brands include Diamond, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, Nutra Nuggets, Premium Edge, Professional Pet Food
All foods contain US and Canadian ingredients
Manufacture their own dry food
Canned foods made by American Nutrition
Drs. Foster & Smith Products (verified by company 3/29/07)

Wet foods made by Menu Foods but not involved in the recall.
Dry foods manufactured by Chenango Valley Foods
All grain and meat products are from the US
No wheat gluten is used in the products manufactured at Menu
Eagle Pack (verified by company 3/27/07)

Brands include Eagle Pack Holistic Select, Eagle Pack Super Premium, Hy-Dration, Prism
Loaf style canned food is made by Menu Foods to their unique formulas, but not part of the recall.
They do not use any “ingredients that are common to the recalled product.”
Products contain no wheat gluten.
Only non US ingredient is lamb meat imported from New Zealand and/or Australia.
Onsite lab tests incoming ingredients and finished food
USDA/APHIS inspected and EU approved
Evangers (verified by company 3/28/07)

No products contain wheat gluten, fillers, or preservatives
They’re a privately owned company that manufactures their own food as well as manufacturing food for other private labels.
All ingredients domestic except for New Zealand or Australian lamb, on request.
Evolve Pet Food

Brands include Evolve, Hi-Tor, Pet Gold, and Triumph
Please Note: Numerous attempts to contact them have been unsuccessful. One phone number works but is a recording saying they are not part of the recall. Another number is not in working order. Emails have been returned as undeliverable.

Fancy Feast

Flint River Ranch (verified by company 3/27/07)

Manufacture their own foods with US suppliers
Friskies

Fromm Family Foods (verified via website 3/25/07)

Canned foods are NOT made by Menu Foods.
Canned foods made in China. See this post for explanation from Frommes.
Foods produced in a human food plant without wheat gluten or other grains.
Canned food made with 100% pure meat, duck, chicken & fish, NOT reformed meat.
No by-products used in their dog and cat foods.
Fromm Family Foods does not test on animals.
Products are all-natural. Products made with binders to make reformed meat and products which use wheat gluten are NOT considered all-natural by their standards.
Go! Natural (Petcurean Pet Nutrition) (verified by company 3/31/07)

Menu Foods manufactures wet food but are not involved in the recall
Dry foods manufactured at various Canadian Mills
Great Life (verified by company 3/29/07)

Their only brand is Great Life
No products made by Menu Foods (have never used them)
No product contain wheat gluten
All ingredients are organic and come from the US
They do not manufacture their own food. Name of manufacturer is confidential.
Halo (verified via website 3/23/07)

Healthy Pet Products (verified by company 3/23/07)

Manufactures all products in-house.
Holistic Blend (verified by website 3/31/07)

Products contain human grade ingredients
Certified Organic Ingredients
Formulated to exceed AAFCO standards
Animals are not used for product testing
Homestyle Select (verified via website 3/24/07)

All foods are manufactured in their own plant in Quakertown, Pennsylvania.
Their foods contain none of the suspect ingredients in the recall.
Kumpi (verified by Kumpi President, 3/24/07)

Specially formulated by multi-species nutritionist
No soy, by-products or wheat sources
Manufactured by Crosswind Petfood Industries
USDA/APHIS inspected and meats utilized are EU approved
Voluntarily regulated by American Institute of Baking (i.e. held to human bakery standards)
All grains are American grown and regulated
Food is tested before, during and after production
Kumpi Pet Foods does not test on animals
Lassie Natural Way (verified via website 3/24/07)

Dry foods are wheat, corn, and soy free - and no meat by-products
are used.
Life’s Abundance by Healthy Pet Net (verified by company 3/28/07)

One product manufactured by Menu Foods but not in the suspect facility
Most products are manufactured by Ohio Pet Foods
Products do not contain wheat gluten or corn
All products are human quality
Mars Pet Food (verified by company 3/28/07)

Brands include Cesar, Pedigree, Sheba, The Good Life, Whiskas
All products manufactured by Mars Pet Food
Wheat gluten is used in some products but they get it from a different supplier than Menu Foods
Merrick Pet Foods (verified by company 3/29/07)

Their only brand is Merrick
All Merrick foods, dry, canned, and treats are made in their own
facility.
All ingredients are from the US
Products do not contain wheat gluten
Natura Pet Products (verified with company 3/24/07)

Brands include Innova, Evo, California Natural, Healthwise,
Mother Nature, Karma Organic
Manufacture their own dry food, using their own formulas
They use only US suppliers - no ingredients come from China
or other foreign countries.
They use no corn or wheat products (including wheat gluten)
Wet foods made by Menu Foods (S. Dakota plant) but not involved
in the recall.
Natural Balance (verified by company 3/27/07)

For more information on Natural Balance, please see this post.

No products made by Menu Foods.
Dry food is manufactured at Diamond, with Natural Balance machinery, by Natural Balance employees. Natural Balance personnel are the only ones to work with the machines and products. Diamond packages the products.
Canned food is manufactured at American Nutrition in Utah, with Natural
Balance machinery, by Natural Balance employees. Natural Balance personnel are the only ones to work with the machines and products. American Nutrition in Utah packages the products.
Products contain no wheat gluten.
All ingredients are from the US except for lamb and venison from New Zealand.
Food is tested before and after production.
Please note: Contrary to what I was told by Natural Balance, Diamond has confirmed that they manufacture dry food for Natural Balance. Additionally, American Nutrition has verified that they manufacture canned food for Natural Balance.

Nature’s Variety (verified by CEO 3/27/07)

Brands include Nature’s Variety, Nature’s Variety Prairie, and Nature’s Variety Raw Instinct.
Canned foods made by Menu Foods but not involved in the recall.
Dry foods are outsourced, but not by Menu Foods.
Frozen and freeze-dried raw foods are made in house.
All grains used are of US origin, except flax seed, which they get from Canada.
No wheat gluten is used in their products, or in the plant that manufactures their dry foods.
Neura (verified by company rep 3/26/07)

“Menu does make some of our canned cat and canned dog foods. They make
OUR recipes according to OUR quality standards.”
“We have procedures in place to clean between each run of food that is produced. We also inspect the plant regularly to audit their procedures. Since we take our quality very seriously we go above and beyond what is expected in the industry. We are happy to tell you that we require our facilities to pass an audit by Cook & Thurber, a HUMAN FOOD auditing firm.”
Other manufacturers are used besides Menu Foods.
Products do not contain wheat, corn or soy, artificial preservatives, flavors or colors.
Newman’s Own Organics (verified by company PR firm 3/30/07)

At least some products made by Menu Foods but not involved in the recall.
Products not produced in the suspect Menu Foods plants.
Products do not contain wheat gluten.
All ingredients are certified by Oregon Tilth.
Nutra Nuggets

See Diamond Pet Foods
Nutrience (verified via website 3/24/07)

Nutrience dog and cat canned foods are not produced by Menu Foods
Manufacturer does not use the supplier in question.
Foods contain no wheat gluten and are formulated with human-grade meat only.
Old Mother Hubbard (verified by company 3/26/07)

“We have procedures in place to clean between each run of food that is produced. We also inspect the plant regularly to audit their procedures. Since we take our quality very seriously we go above and beyond what is expected in the industry. We are happy to tell you that we require our facilities to pass an audit by Cook & Thurber, a HUMAN FOOD auditing firm.”
Products do not contain wheat, corn or soy, artificial preservatives, flavors or colors.
Pedigree

See Mars Pet Food
Performatrin (verified by company)

Pets Valu’s Brand
Majority of their wet food is made by Menu Foods in Canada
Some products (excluding Ultra) are made by Menu Foods in the US, however not at the plant in Kansas, Missouri, and are not included in the recall.
None of their wet or dry products contain wheat gluten
PetGuard Organics

Please Note: I have been unable to verify anything with PetGuard other than the fact that their website says their foods are “not affected by the recall.” This is not the same as saying “we do not use menu.” I have emailed a number of times and have called and spoken with someone a couple of times as well who assured me they would call back with information I had requested. As of 3/31/07 they have not.

Pet Promise (verified via website 3/25/07)

PMI Nutrition (verified by company 3/26/07)

Brands include PMI Nutrition and PMI Nutrition Exclusive
Precise (verified by company 3/22/07)

Verified their products are not on the recall list but when asked if they use Menu Foods to manufacture any of their products I was told that information was “confidential.”
Premium Edge

See Diamond Pet Foods
Professional Pet Food

See Diamond Pet Foods
Purina Dog Chow

Purina One

Purina Pro Plan

Purina Veterinary Diets

PHD Products

Royal Canin (verified by company 3/28/07)

Brands include Canine Health Nutrition, Feline Health Nutrition, Kasco, Sensible Choice, as well as prescription available through veterinarians.
Menu foods is used for a limited number of foods
They also have their own production facility
They do use wheat gluten, but when asked if they used the same source as Menu Foods, I was told that was “proprietary information.”
Sheba

See Mars Pet Food
Solid Gold Health Food for Pets (verified by company 3/29/07)

Dry food made by Diamond.
The Honest Kitchen (verified by company 3/28/07)

Food is contracted to company manufactures human food. The Honest Kitchen is the only pet food they manufacture.
All ingredients are human grade and domestic
Products to not contain wheat gluten, soy or corn
Timber Wolf Organics (verified by company)

When contacted, they refused to say whether or not their food is made by Menu Foods, and said they can’t give out that information.
Trader Joe’s

Wet food manufactured by Menu Foods but not involved in recall. As a precaution, they are recalling all canned foods.
Verus Pet Foods

Wellness (verified by company 3/26/07)

Whiskas

See Mars Pet Food
Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value (verified by company 3/23/07)

When asked, they would neither admit or deny that Menu Foods is their manufacturer - the name(s) of their manufacturer(s) is “confidential.”
“Raw ingredient that caused the illnesses reported was not being used in our products.”
Wysong (verified by company 3/27/07)

Menu Foods is used for 2 canned products but not involved in recall. These are Au Jus (chicken, duck, turkey, NOT rabbit) and Stew & Gravy (beef & chicken)
All other foods manufactured in their own facilities (2 factories) in the US.
No wheat gluten is used in their products.
All products are from the US

IMPORTANT:

Do not take this list as the final word. It is neither an endorsement of any foods listed, nor is it a complete list of all pet foods that are not on the recall list. There undoubtedly are other foods that are not on the recall list. We are adding them as we find out about them and verify their status.

Please check with the manufacturer of your pet’s food…check their website or call them. Also, as more pet foods are being added to the list of recalled pet foods, it’s imperative that you continue to check the Menu Foods recall list at http://menufoods.com/recall/ And if you find out your pet has eaten any of the recalled food, call your vet immediately.

And again, as stated above, if you’d like to share this list, please direct people to this website rather than copying it. This will ensure people have the most up-to-date version.

http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210

------------

Note the last comment and be sure to keep checking for updates as there are very likely to be daily additions!  Unfortunately!

Sad

PERSONA NON GRATA

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 01:01:04 AM »

It took me five dead cats to realize the food from the grocery and pet stores is poison.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 01:19:50 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
It took me five dead cats to realize the food from the grocery and pet stores is poison.

Louise,
Many of these are from VETS!  One of the Science Diet for felines Prescriptives has been recalled.  I do hope it is not the one you use as I believe there should be two of them.

Just as many foods from vets have been recalled as those from pet stores and grocery stores.  

And the recalls have apparently just got started good.

Getting the food from a vet is no guarantee just as buying organic does NOT mean the food was even produced in this country.

Wish it were that simple but my vet and I have gone round and round as he sells Science Diet, too, and the prime ingredient in it is YELLOW CORN.  My dogs are not cattle and do not need a diet that high in grain.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 01:21:49 AM »

I am posting a link to concerns about pet foods expressed in the 1990s  which detail a great many facts that have been kept hidden for many years and seem to be coming to the general public's notice only now. It contains an explanation of how plastics and chemicals can become included in the food, and if these impurities are behind the recalls it may explain why there is confusion and the possibility of cover-ups over the actual source of the contamination.

WARNING - do not read if you are at all squeamish in any way.  And especially do not read while eating.

www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood1.html

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.