June 16, 2024, 01:30:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING TO PET OWNERS - 60 Mil Cont's of Pet Food Recalled  (Read 58515 times)
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2007, 06:05:46 AM »

So, lessee, 'the terrorisst' have been smart enough to cause some pets in the U.S. to die because of 'wheat gluten'.

This causes the distraught pet owners to rise up and get the rules changed so they can sue for 'pain and suffering' damages in order to sue a pet food supplier out of business.

This then sets in motion all the Vets having to obtain higher malpractice insurance in order to fend off 'pain and suffering' suits, thus increasing medical expenses of pet owners.

Then pet suppliers have to increase their insurance coverage and thus increase their costs to customers to pay for it.

Heck, even Breeders would than have to have to have insurance coverage in case a pet that was sold should be judged defective in some way and the purchaser then be able to sue for 'pain and suffering' damages in addition to original price.

Yup, them 'Terrorists' just cost U.S. billions of dollars in expenses. Pretty good job I'd say.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

Carnut,
Why are you calling this mass hysteria and all that other stuff?  This is very real.  These animals have already died and more are dying every day.  You are implying we are imagining this?

I heard on the news this morning on FOX that they knew about the contaminated wheat in DECEMBER but continued to manufacture food with it with total disregard for what would happen.

If I have time to find the article, I will post it but should be on Fox news site if anybody is on there today.  I heard it first thing when I woke up this morning on I believe Fox and Friends.

Vets already can be sued for pain and suffering as can just about every other aspect of our commerce.  Pet Food should not have some special immunity and be exempt from the consequences of their actions.

I don't see much happening in the way of a class action suit but one way or another, this Menu Foods needs to be out of business.  I think we need to start a letter writing campaign to our congresscritters and make sure they are not allowed to do this again.

It is a Canadian-based company and not U.S. as Carnut wrongly contends.  It is my opinion that it well should be put out of business to allow the honest pet manufacturers the reward of its profits.  If the demand is there, a new and honest company will take its place.  This is how defective businesses are eliminated and the consumer protected in the free market arena.  
If class action suits do not remove this company, we must do all we can to do so either through fines or lack of buying anything that has touched Menu Foods.

In December they knew about the wheat and did not issue a recall.  Worse yet, they continued all this time for three months to use the wheat and went right on with manufacturing.  The difference here and with Diamond that I dealt with before was Diamond truly did have only one small batch of corn that was bad.  They, too, knew about the corn for three months before they issued a recall but they did NOT continue to use it.  These b*st*rds did!  And 7 of 40 live test animals they fed it to, another disgusting habit of theirs it seems  Evil or Very Mad died and yet they never slowed production even.

Being impervious to the responsibility to which other industries are held, they thought it quite a good deal to just pay off those few suits they might get from using this tainted wheat rather than doing the more costly right thing.  They must be taught a lesson for this and one that will protect us in the future.  It must be strong enough so that no one will try such a stunt again.

I am ALREADY paying for the testing of the product.  I am just not getting what I am paying for.  Some brands I use cost almost $2 a regular sized can.  Merricks for one, Some of the Innovas for another, any with venison, etc. could go on and on.  

And it is my right as a consumer to see that those who have failed along the chain of the food processing are punished to the fullest extent of the law that I can.  I have not lost any dogs SO FAR but I have been cheated out of lots of money I have already paid for safe and nutritional food for my dogs, thousands of dollars of it.  

That's how the free markets work.  And they work well as long as some are not given special privilege over others.  The pet food industry is already charging us for things they are not delivering.  We have been lied to about the safety of the food they produce.

It is each pet owner's choice as to whether or not they take some sort of action to prevent this in the future but what will NEVER be a consideration of mine is the financial well-being of those executives who did this and the company that allowed it to happen for their own financial gain at the expense of our pets.

Actions have consequences even actions against the most helpless among us, our pets.  And you can bet that a company that has so little regard for their own clients is not going to have much more for their employees.  Read employee accounts on the website for the recalls.  Too often Americans have become a source of cheap labor for those foreign companies who are delighted not to have to provide EU style benefits!  Other, more honest and deserving manufacturers will take the place of this one.  

They had their chance and they blew it.

JMO.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2007, 01:18:35 AM »

Just a few random thoughts on this. (I feel like a fool jumping in where angels fear to tread ... )

For most corporations, the bottom line is all there is. A few lawsuits, settled out of court, are cheaper than implementing the QA that would prevent this, paying more for ingredients, and possibly even re-tooling production.

And while we ARE all pointing a finger at China, or wherever this came from - don't absolve the manufacturer. There should be in-house testing of all ingredients used, and "failing" those that don't pass with flying colors.

I believe this should be the case for all products. (But then, yes, I am a stubborn idealist ...)

About those lawsuits - I don't know much about legal matters. I've read, in the context of this pet food situation, that "emotions, pain and suffering" etc. do not enter into any type class action litigation. Any remuneration would be based strictly on the value of the pet that verifiably died as a result of the food, with age factored in. Most owners have relatively inexpensive pets and would receive very small change indeed. Thus the impact of a class action suit on the defendant, depends entirely on the volume of participants. And they often are settled out of court anyway.

I've not read anything about folks like Anna and SunFreak who are "professional breeders" of expensive pedigreed dogs that are worth perhaps several thousand as puppies, and even more as good, breeding age adults. Class action might not be the way to go.

In any case, folks who have NOT lost a pet because of this really have no recourse other than to ask for a refund. And of course, refuse to buy the product again ... but people do have really short memories. Plus, folks who have yet to acquire their first pet - even if they do so next month - will be unphased by all of this.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2007, 01:28:47 AM »

What you have said seems correct to me, MsMarple.  I have not yet lost any of my dogs but am not going to do whatever I can to hold these people accountable for any remuneration or financial aspect.

I just don't believe that there should be corporations allowed to take these kinds of shortcuts with the lives of our pets.  Yes, it happens all the time with everything from flea products to Greenies, they would rather pay the few suits they will get based on this unfair practice of cost of the pet only and continue to make huge profits.

But we are talking about living, breathing trusting pets and we are the only voices they have.  So on principle alone, I will do what I can to bring these kinds to justice on behalf of the pets of us all even if I am fortunate and don't lose any of my own.

I lost two litters of pups before and next time it could be mine again  I hope it can be stopped before there is a next time.

It's just so wrong!   Sad

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2007, 10:27:32 AM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
One things for sure, every pet dog or cat that dies between now and Jan 08 will have died from 'wheat gluten' problem.

Autopsies on pets ain't real common.

Anyone here remember anything about the Audi 'Unintended Acceleration' problem? A classic case.

carnut,

glad to see you back posting but buddy......that is such random and weak comparison. ex and I had one of the last secondary market franchises for Porche-Audi during the period of that unintended accleration - it bears no comparison here IMO

we just left a pet at our vet's this week for spaying, it's given us more bump and interaction during this period and the vets are concerned but our said not one client has blamed them for this illness, not one and she's lost 4 pets now to this?

I see this as a huge shot over our US bow, and yes this will be political in nature as a post but I hope most of our most liberals can finally identify with WHY hating Bush is going to only cause more of this. If our own nation and Pelosi is leading that brigade doesn't respect our president or his leadership -  Pelosi and friends are flinging open the door for the real rats in our world to seize opportunity, it feeds them emotionally and serves as a catalyst as well. I resent this and I wish I could say that to her face, along with a few well-placed words for Hillary too. BOTH I think give females a bad name in leadership when there are so many others who work so hard to overcome those stereotypes of a woman on the rampage due to a power high.

For many people pets are like their children, I know for our family I guess they are. Data exists to support pet therapy impacts the ill and aged in our country so positively, one more reason to respect pets value in our society. So all that being said if someone loses their beloved pet due to incompetence in monitoring foods coming into our country, foods which we also consume like wheat gluten, then I do feel the lawsuits are deserved.

They are also the only way to raise the stakes for change, sad but true.

off my soapbox, thanks for listening

I continue to stand with the girl.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
WARNING - I just heard on Fox News that there is a possible recall of dog biscuits now too.  They didn't mention a brand.

It appears the newly recalled dog biscuits come from Sunshine Mills.  

http://www.sunshinepettreats.com/
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2007, 03:00:04 PM »

I don't know who's politics might or might not be a factor in this and similar instances.

However, de-regulating, or expecting corporations to self-regulate, will not work. As I said in a previous post, for businesses, the bottom line is the only line that matters.

Now, I don't know that this totally true across the spectrum of all possible issues, but "getting government out of business" is more of a Republican mantra than a Democratic mantra.

Not that there's anything WRONG with that   Wink   ... but it isn't nearly as IMPORTANT as the SAFETY of our food and water supply. (Up to and including, of course, what we feed our pets.)  

How many recalls does it take to revisit standards and inspections?

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »

The date of the contamination has now been pushed BACK!

38 pets dead in Oregon at:

http://tinyurl.com/2yfotd

And another on the date now being November 8.

Menu Foods expands pet food recall
Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:26 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Menu Foods has expanded its recall of dog and cat foods to include products with an earlier production date and 20 more varieties, the company said on Thursday.

The Canada-based company said the recall now included all products manufactured with wheat gluten bought from ChemNutra Inc. going back to November 8, 2006.

In March, Menu Foods recalled 60 million cans and pouches of "cuts-and-gravy" style wet pet food sold under various brands after the deaths of 14 cats and dogs. The earliest production date announced at the time was December 3, 2006. The wheat gluten was last used March 6, Menu Foods said.

Sunshine Mills Inc. of Alabama also is recalling dog biscuits made with contaminated wheat gluten, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said. Company officials had no immediate comment.

The FDA has identified melamine, a chemical used in plastics, as a contaminant in wheat gluten supplied to Menu Foods. Officials said Thursday they remained unsure if melamine was the cause of any cases of pet sickness or death.

http://tinyurl.com/2e96vm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Close This Window  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/748 - Release Date: 4/5/2007 3:33 PM

------------

And from Bloomberg:

U.S. FDA Investigators Say Pet Food Recall Extended (Update1)

By Kevin Bell

April 5 (Bloomberg) -- A recall of North American pet food linked to at least 16 animal deaths was extended today after U.S. investigators traced a suspect ingredient to dog biscuits.

Pet treats made by Sunshine Mills, based in Red Bay, Alabama, will be recalled after officials found it used wheat gluten that may have contained melamine, said Stephen Sundlof, the director of the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, today in a news conference today.

Menu Foods Ltd., which recalled 60 million pet food cans and pouches on March 16, said today it's extending the recall date to pet food made between Nov. 8 and March 6. The FDA last week said it found melamine, which is used to make plastic kitchen utensils and fertilizers, in some of the company's wet pet food. At least five pet-food makers have recalled some products.

``We still have a lot of work in understanding why melamine is involved,'' Sundlof said. ``We are relatively certain there is a connection here someplace.''

Melamine, a ``relatively non-toxic'' substance, may be linked to another substance that has not yet been identified that could have contributed to pet deaths, he said. The FDA has received more than 12,000 complaints from pet owners.

Menu Foods said in a statement today that a total of 20 varieties of dog and cat food have been added to the recall list, including Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Can and Grreat Choice wet dog food. Company spokesman Sam Bornstein didn't immediately return a telephone call. Originally, the pet-food maker said the recall applied to food made as early as Dec. 3.

Units of Menu Foods Income Fund, which owns Menu Foods Ltd., fell 21 cents, or 4.6 percent, to C$4.35 by 3:28 p.m. in trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange. They've fallen 41 percent since March 15, the day before the recall.

A receptionist at Sunshine Mills who declined to identify herself said officials couldn't comment immediately.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kevin Bell in Toronto at kbell2@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: April 5, 2007 15:30 EDT

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Trademarks  

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/748 - Release Date: 4/5/2007 3:33 PM

Sunshine Pet Treats Website is down.  They make Crunchin Bones and PupCorn both of which I feed liberally to my dogs.  I am hoping that the reall effects the regular kind of biscuits and not the puffed variety.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2007, 04:56:34 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"

The FDA has identified melamine, a chemical used in plastics, as a contaminant in wheat gluten supplied to Menu Foods. Officials said Thursday they remained unsure if melamine was the cause of any cases of pet sickness or death.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »

I don't recall any better behavior on the part of corporations operating under more regulation but this is how a free market works.  They have failed the test and we get to put them out of business so they don't get to do this again.

And certainly anyone who wants to do so has the right to sue individually or via class action.

The FDA is a shining example of regulational failure.  See Celebrex, Vioox and all the other FUBARS they have created.  FDA is populated with people on the pay of big drug companies who give favorable treatment to their drugs of choice and not the public welfare.  They OK the drugs manufactured by the companies they represent then a few years later, after the corporation has collected massive profits, we are told the drug will kill us!  No accountability at all.

So it seems suits are an integral part of open markets but I think this is political but it is internationally political not DNC/GOP so much since Menu Foods is Canadian and the wheat is Chinese.

Read today the Chinese deny anything wrong with the wheat when it left China, too.  No surprise there!

I have been feeding my nursing mothers Crunchin Bones, all they wanted as they have chicken liver and I thought they would need the iron for the puppies.  Now I am waiting to see if that is what Sunshine recalled.  I order by the case, six huge barrels so maybe mine predate the recall.

It has been moved back to Nov 8 and more types of the canned foods within the companies named, too.

Every day something new is added.  I have one sick mother dog, Boop.  I hope she is just tired from these pups keeping her awake, etc.  I am weaning them with Esbilac dog milk replacement.

Pups can drink once their eyes open and do not have to be bottle fed and for that I am thankful.

.And of course Sunshine's website is down, prolly overloaded and their phone lines busy for I have tried both just to find out if these are in the recall.  I pray they are NOT!

I have always sent home with puppy instructions to use glass or stainless steel feeding dishes and am so glad I did.  No one told me to do that.  I just thought if dogs can digest bones, they could plastic and it might be a source of slow poisoning.  I have no links, etc. but if you are using plastic feeding dishes, what if they are melamine?  I am glass/stainless steel only and hope others will take that little extra precaution as well.

Why have we never been told not to use melamine for pets?  They still are not saying anything about feeding in plastic dishes if it is safe or not.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2007, 05:05:17 PM »

They are dropping like flies for some reason, young previously healthy pets suddenly dying of kidney failure.  There is a reason for this sudden phenomenon.  The FDA is always very slow in making ANY determination about anything.

Just because the cause is not yet known for certain does not mean it is not happening.   Maybe it takes a while to actually effect the kidneys.  Live testing is very cruel so I am not sure how this can be determined without using it.

"Remained unsure" is not the same as saying it is NOT the cause at all.  They have done these recalls for a reason and a very good, concrete one.  They do know something is killing young healthy pets.  They are just not yet positive what the component that is doing so is but believe it to be related to the common denominator of the wheat gluten.

Vets known when they are seeing massive deaths caused by something other than natural causes.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2007, 05:33:27 PM »

Finally found Sunshine's Recall list!!

Sunshine Mills, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Certain Branded and Private Label Branded Dog Biscuits
Media Inquiries
Earl Clements
(256) 356-9541, ext. 212

Consumer Inquiries
Mitzi Wammack
(800) 705-2111, ext. 117

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Red Bay, Alabama, April 5, 2007 -- As a precautionary measure, Sunshine Mills, Inc. ("Sunshine"), a branded and private-label pet food manufacturer based in Red Bay, Alabama, is voluntarily recalling a portion of its branded dog biscuits made at its Red Bay, Alabama biscuit plant during part of March 2007. These brands include: Nurture Chicken & Rice, Nurture Lamb & Rice, Pet Life Large, Pet Life Extra Large, Pet Life Large Variety, Pet Life Large Peanut Butter, Lassie Lamb and Rice, and Pet Life People Pleasers Dog Treats. Private label biscuits for six of Sunshine's customers were also affected. A complete list of affected biscuit brands, sizes, and codes is available below or at our website, www.sunshinemills.com. Sunshine's other biscuit brands and products that include small and medium sized biscuits were not affected. It is also important to note that dry dog and cat food and soft and chewy treats for dogs or cats manufactured by Sunshine are not affected and not included in this recall.

The company is taking this voluntary action of recalling the dog biscuits listed below after learning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied to Sunshine from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine. Melamine is a substance not approved for use in food. The FDA made this finding as part of its ongoing investigation into the recent pet food recall.

The recalled dog biscuits are marketed nationwide by many pet food retailers including the mass channel, traditional grocery, and pet specialty stores. No dog illnesses or deaths have been reported to date in connection with these dog biscuits. The recalled dog biscuits contain one percent or less by weight of wheat gluten.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dog the dog biscuits with the specified date codes and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their dog.

Sunshine's products are 100% guaranteed. Consumers may receive the full replacement value of the recalled dog biscuits by returning them to the place of purchase or consumers may contact Sunshine's customer service number at (800) 705-2111 for further information about the recall and for other instructions on obtaining a product refund.

The safety and well-being of pets are Sunshine's utmost concern. We deeply regret this unforeseen situation.

The following products are being recalled:

Branded Product and Variety
 Product Size:
 UPC Codes
 Plant Code / Best By Date

Nurture Chicken & Rice Biscuit
 26 oz.
 70155-13606
 Plant code:
 RB

Best by:

Nurture Lamb & Rice Biscuit
 26 oz.
 70155-13607
 Plant code:
 RB

Best by:

Pet Life Large Peanut Butter Biscuit
 4 lb.
 41746-00950
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Pet Life Large Biscuit
 4 lb.
 41746-02545
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Lassie Lamb and Rice Biscuit
 26 oz.
 45352-07005
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Pet Life Large Biscuit
 25 lb.
 41746-00008
 Best By Date – last 5 digits

Best by:

Pet Life Extra Large Biscuit
 25 lb.
 41746-00010

Best by:

Pet Life Large Variety Biscuit
 25 lb.
 70155-00073

Best by:

Pet Life Peanut Butter Large Biscuit
 25 lb.
 41746-00078

Best by:

Pet Life People Pleasers Dog Treat
 25 lb.
 41746-00266

Best by:

50 oz.
 70155-11006
 Best By Date – 5 digits

Best by:

40 oz.
 70155-11007

Best by:

Private Label Product and Variety
 Product Size:
 UPC Codes
 Plant Code / Best By Date

Companion's Best Multi Flavor Biscuit
 4 lb.
 50700-49270
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Stater Brothers Large Biscuit
 4 lb.
 74175-18801
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Ol'Roy Peanut Butter Biscuit
 5 lb.
 78742-34501
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Ol'Roy 4 Flavor Large Biscuit
 10 lb.
 81131-46959
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Ol'Roy Puppy Biscuit
 28.8 oz.
 81131-92197
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Plant code:
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Champion Breed Peanut Butter Biscuit
 4 lb.
 72000-26063
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Champion Breed Large Biscuit
 4 lb.
 72000-26065
 Plant code:
 RB
 RB

Best by:

Perfect Pals Large Biscuit
 4 lb.
 12333-00260
 Plant code:
 RB

Best by:

Stater Brothers Large Biscuit
 26 oz.
 74175-18802
 Best By Date – 5 digits

Best by:

####

FDA Pet Food Recall Page

The chart didn't post correctly so you can read it at

this link:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/sunshinemills04_07.html

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2007, 05:36:05 PM »

Anyone else starting to wonder if this wheat could be the genetically modified variety?  Is that what's killing our pets?  Is it legal to ship to this country GM wheat?  I don't know anything much about that.
ChemNutra Announces Nationwide Wheat Gluten Recall
Devon Blaine/Lisa Baker
310-360-1499

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --Las Vegas, NV -- April 3, 2007 -- ChemNutra Inc., of Las Vegas, Nevada, yesterday recalled all wheat gluten it had imported from one of its three Chinese wheat gluten suppliers – Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd.

The wheat gluten ChemNutra recalled was all shipped from China in 25 kg. paper bags, and distributed to customers in the same unopened bags. The bags were all labeled "Wheat Gluten Batch No.: _______ Net Weight: 25 kg Gross Weight: 25.1 kg Made in China". The batch numbers included in the recall are 20061006, 20061027, 20061101, 20061108, 20061122, 20061126, 20061201, 20061202, 20061203, 20061204, 20061205, 20061206, 20061208, 20061221, 20070106, 20070111, 20070116, and 20070126. Each ChemNutra shipment had the certificate of analysis information from the supplier, including batch number and the supplier's content analysis and test results. ChemNutra shipped from its Kansas City warehouse to three pet food manufacturers and one distributor who supplies wheat gluten only to the pet food industry. ChemNutra's shipments commenced November 9, 2006 and ended March 8, 2007. ChemNutra did not ship to facilities that manufacture food for human consumption, and the distributor ChemNutra shipped to supplies wheat gluten only to pet food manufacturers. The total quantity of Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten shipped was 792 metric tons.

ChemNutra learned on March 8 from one pet food manufacturer that the wheat gluten it had sold them – all from the Xuzhou Anying - was among ingredients suspected as a potential cause of pet food problems. ChemNutra immediately quarantined its entire wheat gluten inventory and assisted this customer's investigation.

After that manufacturer issued a pet food recall, the FDA immediately commenced a thorough investigation of ChemNutra's wheat gluten, including documentation analysis, inspection, and laboratory testing. ChemNutra cooperated fully with the FDA and immediately notified its other three wheat gluten customers about the FDA's investigation. Those customers had all purchased smaller amounts of the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten commencing in January, 2007.

On Friday, March 30, the FDA announced they had found melamine in samples of the wheat gluten ChemNutra had imported from Xuzhou Anying. The FDA did not inform ChemNutra of any other impurities in the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten, nor of any impurities in the wheat gluten from ChemNutra's other two Chinese suppliers.

The toxicity of melamine is not clear. However, since melamine is not approved by the FDA for pet food, it should absolutely not have been in wheat gluten. ChemNutra is extremely concerned about the purity of all of its products. The company is particularly troubled that the certificates of analysis provided by the above-named supplier did not report the presence of melamine.

ChemNutra wants to ensure its products are safe. Consequently, in addition to its ongoing cooperation with the FDA, ChemNutra will be conducting its own independent, analytical tests of wheat gluten from all of its suppliers.

Yesterday ChemNutra sent recall notices to all four of its direct customers. If any other company received bags of recalled wheat gluten from the lot numbers referenced above, please call ChemNutra at 702.818.5019.

Consumers who have questions about the pet food they should go to the FDA's website at www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01590.html. This website lists all brands of petfood involved, with links to the manufacturer who should be contacted with questions.

####

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »

FDA News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
P07-58
April 5, 2007
 Media Inquiries:
301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

FDA Issues Health Hazard Alert for Pet Chews Due to Contamination with Salmonella The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today warned consumers not to use American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy Chews and Dog Chews manufactured and distributed by T.W. Enterprises, Ferndale, WA, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, which can cause serious infections in dogs and cats, and, if there is cross contamination, in people, especially children, the aged, and people with compromised immune systems. Consumers who have the pet treats manufactured or distributed by T.W. Enterprises listed below should not feed them to their pets, but instead dispose of them in a safe manner (e.g., in a securely covered trash receptacle).

Salmonella can potentially be transferred to people handling these pet treats, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products. Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Well animals can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

The products covered by this alert include all sizes and lots of:

American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy Chew and Dog Chew (made from all American beef pizzle)

Following is a list of the affected products:

A.B. Small Chew, small, 3-4 inch
A.B. Puppy Chew, 4-6 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Medium, 6 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Large, 10 inch
A.B. Dog Chew XL, 13 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Mega, 16 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Jumbo, 26 inch
FDA collected samples of packages of three different sizes of bull pizzle (beef) dog chews manufactured by T.W. Enterprises and, after analysis, found Salmonella in one of them. FDA is including in its alert all sizes and all lots of bull pizzle chews manufactured by T. W. Enterprises because pizzles used in manufacturing the chews are processed at the same time, cut into chews of the desired sizes, and then packaged for sale. Differently sized chews are thus obtained from the same batch or lot of pizzles and manufactured under conditions that facilitate cross-contamination within batches or lots. It is impossible to differentiate chews manufactured by T. W. Enterprises by lot or batch numbers or dates of manufacture because packages of the firm’s chews are not coded with batch or lot numbers, and do not specify the dates of manufacture or bear expiration dates.

FDA is actively investigating this matter to determine the source of this problem, and will issue future updates as appropriate.

####

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01600.html

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »

Some states seem to have a reporting system:

Update 4/5, 5:56 a.m.. PT: 3,240 pets have been reported as deceased to our PetConnection database. Of these, 1,729 are cats, and 1,511 are dogs. Total report of all sick and deceased pets: 9,378. These are self-reported numbers, and should be in no way be considered confirmed or "official." But if even a fraction can be confirmed, they show deaths far exceeding the FDA's count of 16 pets, most of whom died in a manufacturers feeding trial.

Other sources also support higher numbers, including the Oregon State Public Health Veterinarian, the Michigan State Veterinary Association and the Veterinary Information Network (ref: L.A. Times story; need a log-in?).

http://www.scaredmonkeys.net/posting.php?mode=reply&t=955

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2007, 05:48:21 PM »

Posted wrong link for the about pet death count.  It should have been

http://www.petconnection.com/recall/index.php

PERSONA NON GRATA

Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »

Anyone else starting to wonder if this wheat could be the genetically modified variety?  Is that what's killing our pets?  Is it legal to ship to this country GM wheat?  I don't know anything much about that.
ChemNutra Announces Nationwide Wheat Gluten Recall
Devon Blaine/Lisa Baker
310-360-1499

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --Las Vegas, NV -- April 3, 2007 -- ChemNutra Inc., of Las Vegas, Nevada, yesterday recalled all wheat gluten it had imported from one of its three Chinese wheat gluten suppliers – Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd.

The wheat gluten ChemNutra recalled was all shipped from China in 25 kg. paper bags, and distributed to customers in the same unopened bags. The bags were all labeled "Wheat Gluten Batch No.: _______ Net Weight: 25 kg Gross Weight: 25.1 kg Made in China". The batch numbers included in the recall are 20061006, 20061027, 20061101, 20061108, 20061122, 20061126, 20061201, 20061202, 20061203, 20061204, 20061205, 20061206, 20061208, 20061221, 20070106, 20070111, 20070116, and 20070126. Each ChemNutra shipment had the certificate of analysis information from the supplier, including batch number and the supplier's content analysis and test results. ChemNutra shipped from its Kansas City warehouse to three pet food manufacturers and one distributor who supplies wheat gluten only to the pet food industry. ChemNutra's shipments commenced November 9, 2006 and ended March 8, 2007. ChemNutra did not ship to facilities that manufacture food for human consumption, and the distributor ChemNutra shipped to supplies wheat gluten only to pet food manufacturers. The total quantity of Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten shipped was 792 metric tons.

ChemNutra learned on March 8 from one pet food manufacturer that the wheat gluten it had sold them – all from the Xuzhou Anying - was among ingredients suspected as a potential cause of pet food problems. ChemNutra immediately quarantined its entire wheat gluten inventory and assisted this customer's investigation.

After that manufacturer issued a pet food recall, the FDA immediately commenced a thorough investigation of ChemNutra's wheat gluten, including documentation analysis, inspection, and laboratory testing. ChemNutra cooperated fully with the FDA and immediately notified its other three wheat gluten customers about the FDA's investigation. Those customers had all purchased smaller amounts of the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten commencing in January, 2007.

On Friday, March 30, the FDA announced they had found melamine in samples of the wheat gluten ChemNutra had imported from Xuzhou Anying. The FDA did not inform ChemNutra of any other impurities in the Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten, nor of any impurities in the wheat gluten from ChemNutra's other two Chinese suppliers.

The toxicity of melamine is not clear. However, since melamine is not approved by the FDA for pet food, it should absolutely not have been in wheat gluten. ChemNutra is extremely concerned about the purity of all of its products. The company is particularly troubled that the certificates of analysis provided by the above-named supplier did not report the presence of melamine.

ChemNutra wants to ensure its products are safe. Consequently, in addition to its ongoing cooperation with the FDA, ChemNutra will be conducting its own independent, analytical tests of wheat gluten from all of its suppliers.

Yesterday ChemNutra sent recall notices to all four of its direct customers. If any other company received bags of recalled wheat gluten from the lot numbers referenced above, please call ChemNutra at 702.818.5019.

Consumers who have questions about the pet food they should go to the FDA's website at www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01590.html. This website lists all brands of petfood involved, with links to the manufacturer who should be contacted with questions.

####

Yes, Anna.
My hubby explained all about this to me yesterday and said he believes this is the only thing that makes sense in that it could alter this MUCH product.
Of course, my eyes glazed over half=way through his dissertation, but I tend to agree that this is the only logical explanation.
There has been a lot of conversation in the scientific communities regarding the pros and cons of genetically engineered grains.
This was the fear in the "cons" corner. No one knows what can happen and how molecules could be affected and how they would interact with the human or animal body.
The scariest part of this, is that, if, in fact, this is what happened...this will NOT be contained in China. It could have global implications through pollens.  Pollens do not stay on one field, one crop, one community, country or continent.
Some of the "pros" claimed that this would be contained. Not so say the "cons". THis could be carried on the winds globally.

I am not explaining this well as my thoughts still get jumbled a bit, but I hope you understand what I am trying to say!!!!

I certainly hope this is not what happened here, but we must remember that China doesn't have the same regulations we have here.

It could be potentially a real doomsday scenario.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »

No, it certainly could be caused by something else such as genetically modified wheat that the Chinese have not tested on pets but are pawning off on us.

The exact cause remains unknown but it is almost a certainly contained in the wheat gluten.

And whatever the cause Menu Foods should have detected it long before all these animals died.  They are ultimately responsible regardless of the cause.

And they have already issued a statement that they are not paying for anything.  Well, they may not but let's see how it effects their business.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2007, 05:55:42 PM »

I went grocery shopping today and noticed that the shelves were bare of certain dog foods and signs posted about the recalls.

Also in our local paper was a page devoted to this with recipes for home made dog food!  Laughing

It appears that these companies are going to pay in that they won't have any customers left!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2007, 05:56:11 PM »

Art Colly,
I believe GM crops are what has killed all the bees as well.

Yes, potential for major disasters in the making with these.

Very scary, indeed!

Unless of course, you are Carnut who thinks pet owners are lying and some how going to get rich from this.  Trust me, they will be lucky to get one cent out of this company that has already said they will not pay for anything.  They said it would be irresponsible to make promises they could not keep.

So suddenly they become very responsible.  Oh, not, of course, with our pets but with their $$$$!

Remember that name of Menu Foods!!   Evil or Very Mad

PERSONA NON GRATA

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.