March 29, 2024, 12:01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP - Gerry Rafferty - Dead at 63  (Read 2503 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: January 05, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »

LONDON (AP) - Gerry Rafferty's agent says the Scottish singer behind hit songs "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the Middle With You" has died. He was 63.

Paul Charles confirmed Tuesday that his client, whose 1978 hit record "Baker Street" reached No. 3 in the U.K. and No. 2 in the U.S. music charts, had passed away following a long illness.

Rafferty wrote hit single "Stuck in the Middle With You" in 1972, while performing as part of the Scottish folk-rock band Stealers Wheel. The ode - or mocking tribute - to Bob Dylan's raspy voice grew new wings in film maker Quentin Tarantino's movie "Reservoir Dogs," and has sold more than a million copies worldwide.

He made headlines in recent years for his public struggles with alcoholism and had reportedly suffered liver failure.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bangordailynews/obituary.aspx?n=gerry-rafferty&pid=147602716
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:29:36 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street (R.I.P. january 4, 2011)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS169P_Eeo

Gerry Rafferty - Right Down The Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sedPivIxfM

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

You'll be missed, my friend

Gerry Rafferty May Not Be Known By Name, But Was Known By Songs

You may not have known Gerry Rafferty's name right away, but you certainly knew his songs. The singer/songwriter behind such '70s hits as "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the Middle With You" passed away Tuesday (January 4) at the age of 63. He had been struggling with kidney failure and had been on life support in a hospital, though he passed at his home in Dorset, England.

Though Rafferty never achieved any significant commercial success in real time, his influence looms large thanks to a handful of appearances in beloved pop culture. Though his most recognizable song is probably "Baker Street" (and really, it's the saxophone riff that really sticks), Rafferty's "Stuck in the Middle With You" (recorded with his band Stealers Wheel in 1972) is his most notable track thanks to its appearance in Quentin Tarantino's debut film "Reservoir Dogs." Throughout the length of the movie, a radio show regularly chimes in with a classic tune from the '70s, and the Stealers Wheel track shows up during a scene when Michael Madsen's character Mr. Orange tortures a police officer he has kidnapped. It's an incredibly brutal scene that ends with Madsen cutting off the cop's ear, and all the while Rafferty's light-hearted homage to Bob Dylan plays in the background. It's an interesting juxtaposition, and because of the relative ubiquity of Tarantino and "Reservoir Dogs," the torture scene has become the biggest association with Rafferty's tune.

As far as "Baker Street" goes, it is undoubtedly the most famous saxophone riff in an era when those things were a dime a dozen. A ton of artists have covered it, including acts as diverse as Foo Fighters, Waylon Jennings, Jars of Clay and Rick Springfield. Slash once noted that there are elements of it in his solo on "Sweet Child O' Mine." It has been everywhere, and it's somewhat shocking it hasn't been sampled by more rappers. It's one of Rafferty's many legacies, and he will be missed.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2011/01/05/gerry-rafferty-dead-songs/

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »

Thanks Nut.  A blast from the past.  Rest in peace, Gerry.  Thanks for the music.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.