March 28, 2024, 11:57:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian Maps/Facts/Figures/Slang Dict. - Reference only  (Read 44087 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 07:22:07 PM »

Hi ArtColley - thank you for your interest.  A lot of these words I did not realise were slang as they are everyday words to us, so I have learned a lot by doing this thread.   A great many we use come from English slang also.

The saying "Not this little black duck" is used a lot here and I have often used it, but I do not think it is uniquely Australian.  In fact I think it comes from the Loony Tunes cartoon character Daffy Duck.

One saying I have seen come into general use in the past few years is "Not happy, Jan" which comes from a very popular TV advert for the Yellow Pages (advertising section of our telephone directory)   Story goes the office girl (obviously named Jan) missed the annual deadline for inclusion in the next issue and when her lady boss realised, Jan scuttled downstairs and  out into the street. Punchline comes with the uptight boss screeching out of an upstairs window "Not happy, Jan"

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 07:26:44 PM »

To finish my answer to ArtColley ...

"Not this little black duck" means : not me, no way, I am not getting involved.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 07:30:43 PM »

I loved going through the words you listed. A Lot of them my family uses, I found that interesting, since we are not australian, but we are Irish, which I guess some cultures have the same deep down roots. I use to think certain things were just unique to my family's upbringings.

It is nice to see how others express and in some ways though far apart we all arent that very different.

SeaMonkey ( that can't wait til tomorry to start gettin the meds out of my system and start feeling HUMAN again and think straight lol)
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »

Well, well, I have just discovered that some of our Southern slang is the same as yours.   Thanks for the info.  I enjoyed reading through it and I will reread it often and attempt to use the words when others will have no way of knowing what I am talking about.  This should be fun!  Wink
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 09:41:20 AM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
To finish my answer to ArtColley ...

"Not this little black duck" means : not me, no way, I am not getting involved.

Thanks, Tibro!
Yes, this is exactly how she would use the expression...when she wasn't going to get involved in something!!!!!
 Laughing
crazybabyborg
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 10:37:34 AM »

O/T
Art: I made you a lil something for the fourth, and wasn't sure you ever checked the avatar thread:
 Wink

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/crazybabyborgs/art4.gif

Anybody who wants one, just leave a post there and Klaas or I will fix you up!
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 10:05:28 PM »

OMG, this is sooo fascinating!  If was doing a report on Autralia for school, I'd get an AAA+ with all this wonderful info.  Thanks so much Trib!

It's funny, I used to hate geography and with age, i want to know everything!   What a great place to start....

I want so bad to go to Australia , what a beatiful and fun place.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Tiger
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »

Tib,I laid a rose at Anzac Cove.Tigers keep their promises.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »

Tiger thank you on behalf of all the Anzacs and their families.  That is a wonderful gesture and makes me feel proud to know such a caring Tiger.

Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 12:46:43 AM »

I just love your Australia information...I think I am beginning to see your country is even more wonderful than I have imagined and I have a really big imagination...I would so love to visit one day....maybe in my next life. Reading your work has made me feel as if I have already been there.   I use a lot of your slang words now and people look at me so funny...I tell them my Aussie friend taught me...that gets them every time.  I know, I'm a stinker!
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 05:37:10 AM »

I just found this, 
bumping cos its a ripper of a thread.   
Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi 

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.