April 30, 2024, 02:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #592 3/22 - 3/26/2007  (Read 99192 times)
Jerry from Ohio
Monkey Junky Jr.

mom always said that I was cute as a Bunny <g>

« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »

Quote from: "Artcolley"
Quote from: "MeMere"
I think we should have a thread in the lounge called The Old Days... Very Happy
I do remember vegetable gardens in the back yard, wood burning fireplaces, 5 chickens...each named after one of us....with all the eggs we
ever needed....and my mom canning fruits and veggies....the milk was delivered on the front step...we had one car, no TV and the mortgage was
$73.00 a month...!

Of course, I am old..... Laughing

YES!!! What an excellent Idea!!!
(I don't know how to start a thread or I would do it!)  Embarassed
My, how things have changed!!!!

I have lived on a Farm or Ranch all of my life.
  Ive always eaten meat from Cows, Pigs, ect that we raised  from birth to death .
  We always had our cousins come over and help with the butchering ain exchange for a portion of the meat .  ( Great deal for all)
   We raised and sold milk and I never had a glass of pasturized milk till I was 12 and my sister had married and moved out and I had it at her house one time .
  I still have ALL the tools  and implements to kill and butcher almost any animal that is for food consumption as long as I would have young men to do the heavy lifting  we coulld raise and prepare enough food to feed at the very least  6 good size familys if the need arrose .
  I also have a Huge chest freezer that will hold two cows and 3 Hogs  after the butchering .
  It is so nice to know how to care for ones self  and I thank my mother and Father for teaching me to always try to be self sufficent.   We always had food  and good stuff also, even during the depression from what I have been told and seen with my own two eyes that now are growing a bit dim but I can still use my brain and can still see everything in my mind .

Old Jer from Ohio
" I'm wild and a little crazy too ! 
 Some Girls don't  like boys like me  ,AWE, But some girls do  !

IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/jerryfromOhio/Howdy.jpg[/IMG]
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2007, 03:14:02 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
Here is one for bb and Cat as well as all surfing monkeys :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdbxLk8_C8c

Loved this youtube Tib, thanks for the laugh!

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »

Quote from: "Jerry from Ohio"
Quote from: "MeMere"
I think we should have a thread in the lounge called The Old Days... Very Happy
I do remember vegetable gardens in the back yard, wood burning fireplaces, 5 chickens...each named after one of us....with all the eggs we
ever needed....and my mom canning fruits and veggies....the milk was delivered on the front step...we had one car, no TV and the mortgage was
$73.00 a month...!

Of course, I am old..... Laughing

YES!!! What an excellent Idea!!!
(I don't know how to start a thread or I would do it!)  Embarassed
My, how things have changed!!!!

I have lived on a Farm or Ranch all of my life.
  Ive always eaten meat from Cows, Pigs, ect that we raised  from birth to death .
  We always had our cousins come over and help with the butchering ain exchange for a portion of the meat .  ( Great deal for all)
   We raised and sold milk and I never had a glass of pasturized milk till I was 12 and my sister had married and moved out and I had it at her house one time .
  I still have ALL the tools  and implements to kill and butcher almost any animal that is for food consumption as long as I would have young men to do the heavy lifting  we coulld raise and prepare enough food to feed at the very least  6 good size familys if the need arrose .
  I also have a Huge chest freezer that will hold two cows and 3 Hogs  after the butchering .
  It is so nice to know how to care for ones self  and I thank my mother and Father for teaching me to always try to be self sufficent.   We always had food  and good stuff also, even during the depression from what I have been told and seen with my own two eyes that now are growing a bit dim but I can still use my brain and can still see everything in my mind .

That is wonderful, Jerry.
You know, nothing tastes as good as "homegrown"!
It even cooks up differently!

Today , more than ever, it is so important to be able to be self sufficient, just for the cost alone! And , look at all the natural disasters we've been having. Hurricanes, blizzards, etc...being able to withstand a month of no outside contact, shopping, etc, is so important.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2007, 03:27:16 PM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
Quote from: "Cat"
I told you wayfarin cured acne.It was s,woops.I have talking cattish with the 2 peeping Toms on how to free them from slavery.I really liked the mice;tib.Very nice ,you are a great cook.We sail upon the tide in 10 weeks.Erik the red cat

Isn't wayfarin another name for Koumadin (sp?), widely used for treating blood clots?  My ex is on that and always refers to it as rat poison.  Can have nasty side effects.

Yep you are right Coumadin=Warfarin ("blood thinner")
Prolongs clotting time. Used for instance in  patients who have certain cardiac arrythmias (ie atrialfibrillation), patients who have had mycardial infarction, and patients who have had heart valve replacement.

Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
I never knew Coumadin had these side effects?  Shocked

Yes it is a very powerful and effective drug, but as a blood thinner can cause uncontrolled bleeding.  As the ex says, if he were ever in a car accident and his spleen ruptured, it would be curtains within minutes.  Have also heard some stories about bruising and internal bleeding in the elderly related to this drug.  Must be taken in carefully controlled dosages and frequently monitored.

Sounds downright dangerous.

Yep!  But in his case, he developes potentially fatal blood clots in his right leg, so what do you do?!

I know. Its sorta 6 of one, half dozen of another, isn't it?
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2007, 03:41:29 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
I never knew Coumadin had these side effects?  Shocked

Yes it is a very powerful and effective drug, but as a blood thinner can cause uncontrolled bleeding.  As the ex says, if he were ever in a car accident and his spleen ruptured, it would be curtains within minutes.  Have also heard some stories about bruising and internal bleeding in the elderly related to this drug.  Must be taken in carefully controlled dosages and frequently monitored.

Sounds downright dangerous.

Yep!  But in his case, he developes potentially fatal blood clots in his right leg, so what do you do?!

I know. Its sorta 6 of one, half dozen of another, isn't it?

Having an IVC filter ( ie Greenfield Filter)in place can also help prevent /lower the chances of a clot forming and traveling to a vital organ. These patients also usually need to be maintained on Coumadin also. These filters are usually reserved for times when a patient is at a particullary high risk. Within the last year or so they have develpoed temporary IVC filters which can be removed, but before that they had to remain in place once they were inserted.
http://www.venous-info.com/handbook/hbk11a.html

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2007, 03:46:26 PM »

This is actually something to think about whether you have a known history or not. For instance the recent Jetblue passengers that were left stranded on the planes for some 11 hours at JFK were possibly put at risk for developing just such problems. Remember that reporter  that died in Iraq a few years ago from deep vein thrombosis caused by stasis in his extremities?....forget his name........Bloom

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=3029942

Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2007, 03:48:27 PM »

Quote from: "bleachedblack"
This is actually something to think about whether you have a known history or not. For instance the recent Jetblue passengers that were left stranded on the planes for some 11 hours at JFK were possibly put at risk for developing just such problems. Remember that reporter  that died in Iraq a few years ago from deep vein thrombosis caused by stasis in his extremities?....forget his name........Bloom

I recall Bloom having had this happen.

Are you in the medical field? If so, I have a question regarding those white stockings they put on you in the hospital!!!!
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2007, 03:53:06 PM »

Are you in the medical field? If so, I have a question regarding those white stockings they put on you in the hospital!!!!

Sorry, I guess I know how to bring a party to a screeching halt with talk of clots and such....... Crying or Very sad

Yes Artcolley I am. Do you mean T.E.D.S?

Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »

Sorry, I guess I know how to bring a party to a screeching halt with talk of clots and such....... Crying or Very sad

Yes Artcolley I am. Do you mean T.E.D.S?

I am not sure, Bleached!  The white tight long stockings with the open toes that they put on under the inflatable thingies they put on the legs? lol, I have NO idea of the name of this stuff!!!
Well, the nurse at the hospital gave me a pair since they would have to toss them out anyway (they can't re-use any wearables like these on other patients according to their policy) and I asked her if they would help when I sit and paint or sew and she said they might and it couldn't hurt.
I don't have any clotting problems, but  I DO tend to sit a lot.
So..wondered if that would help or just be a PIA to wear and not really do any good!  Laughing
Hope you can understand what I just wrote..not sure I even do! Shocked
Buckeye
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »

Artcolley

Not BB, but I am familiar with compression hose.  Most hospitals purchase compression hose that have equal pressure along the length of the hose.  These are intended for patients on bedrest (immobilized).  Compression hose for ambulatory (walking around, sitting) people should have gradual pressure rise (more pressure at ankle than calf).  These are the type airline pilots wear.  There are vascular surgeons that actually believe that wearing the equal pressure hose, INCREASE the risk of clotting in an ambulatory person. Unless you know the make of hose and characteristics, I would buy a pair of graduated pressure hose. IMO
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »

IMO they probably wouldn't hurt. But the real thing to avoid would be "sitting" in the same position for any length of time without either walking around or lying down at intervals.

The TEDS are the elastic open-toed stockings (sometimes hard to put on  Evil or Very Mad ) The "mechanical " devices are sequential compression devices ( ie venodynes). Both are to prevent venous stasis. The TEDS help by preventing blood from "pooling" in the lower extremities, and are often worn also by people that need to be on their feet for extended periods and also by people who may have varicose veins.

Trick for putting on the TEDS : Turn them inside out. Powder the inside . Put your toes in and pull up. They will right themselves (this is hard to explain Confused ) and be on correctly without as much difficulty as trying to put them on in the traditional way of say Knee-high socks.

The other thing to remember is it is just as important to remove them for intervals as to wear them for intervals.

I didn't know you were a painter? One of these days I swear I'd like to try painting..........

Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »

Quote from: "Buckeye"
Artcolley

Not BB, but I am familiar with compression hose.  Most hospitals purchase compression hose that have equal pressure along the length of the hose.  These are intended for patients on bedrest (immobilized).  Compression hose for ambulatory (walking around, sitting) people should have gradual pressure rise (more pressure at ankle than calf).  These are the type airline pilots wear.  There are vascular surgeons that actually believe that wearing the equal pressure hose, INCREASE the risk of clotting in an ambulatory person. Unless you know the make of hose and characteristics, I would buy a pair of graduated pressure hose. IMO

THanks, Buckey!
I haven't worn them yet and may not because I do get around a lot and am up more than sitting right now!
Certainly do NOT want to create a problem when I have none right now! Laughing

I only had them for the hospital stay since I was bedridden for a bit.
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »

um, that last post should have read "buckeye"...NOT bucky. Jeesh. I can't get this keyboard to learn to spell! Cool
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »

Oh good I'm the only one here Laughing

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2007, 05:13:24 PM »

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »

Quote from: "klaasend"

Laughing  Laughing
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2007, 05:16:02 PM »

I'm watching Catherine Crier.

Enquirer released report detailing how Smith allegedly died:

- Two fatal mistakes that were made.

- Smith had a fever and raging infection when she died.

- Infection likely caused by injection with non-sterile needle.

- Smith Overdose on the potent Sleep Aid Chloral Hydrate.

- Chloral Hydrate is used in many Date Rape Drugs.

- A trip to the hospital could have save Smith’s life.
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »

IMO they probably wouldn't hurt. But the real thing to avoid would be "sitting" in the same position for any length of time without either walking around or lying down at intervals.

The TEDS are the elastic open-toed stockings (sometimes hard to put on  Evil or Very Mad ) The "mechanical " devices are sequential compression devices ( ie venodynes). Both are to prevent venous stasis. The TEDS help by preventing blood from "pooling" in the lower extremities, and are often worn also by people that need to be on their feet for extended periods and also by people who may have varicose veins.

Trick for putting on the TEDS : Turn them inside out. Powder the inside . Put your toes in and pull up. They will right themselves (this is hard to explain Confused ) and be on correctly without as much difficulty as trying to put them on in the traditional way of say Knee-high socks.

The other thing to remember is it is just as important to remove them for intervals as to wear them for intervals.

I didn't know you were a painter? One of these days I swear I'd like to try painting..........

Ah, Thanks, Bleach!!!!  I try to walk around every 15 min to half hour if I am working. And, thanks for the tip re putting on the stockings!  Laughing

Yep, I am an artist by profession. However, not much painting going on for the last 4 or 5 months.
I need to get back at it..I'm going broke, lol!!! Laughing
You should try your hand at it..its fun and very relaxing!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.