April 15, 2024, 11:52:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #59 10/16/11 - 04/23/12  (Read 238772 times)
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2011, 01:58:59 AM »

Klaas your right in California it wasn't much of anything. I am sure they were pretty shook up.  Live west of Forth Worth we felt it.  I should say I felt it. Hubs didn't believe me when I told him it was am Earth Quake.  It just kinda of swayed us.

Hope all our Oklahoma Monkeys are alright.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »

http://wimp.com/nasasatellite/
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »

Klaas

GOD BLESS AMERICA
crazybabyborg
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2011, 02:39:45 AM »

See, I can laugh, but I'd have been a real sucker if that happened to me!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »

I also saw the first item Muffy and thought as you did - Jack was OK and heading home to his owner.  Then I received the link from Global Animal for their article and it is a far different
story.  I am with you in hoping this has a happy ending.

BTW that Global Animal site has some good animal articles.  Unfortunately some are sad but there are also some cute stories and videos.

I looked at the site today and I agree, it does have some good animal articles.  It's true some are sad, but then I don't like to find just glossed over stories like the one cnn put out there on Jack which led us to believe he was fine and on his way to be reunited with his owner, warm and fuzzy,  happy ending etc., when in reality it's wonderful he's been found but his life is in peril and he's struggling but there's still hope.  

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/jack-cat-dies-wounds-050334455.html
Jack the Cat Dies From Wounds
November 7, 2011
Facebook
Jack the cat, the Norwegian Forest kitty that captured the hearts across the country when he was found seven weeks after getting lost at JFK airport, died Sunday.
According to a statement made on his fan Facebook page, the five year-old feline was euthanized Sunday by a veterinarian after succumbing to his wounds.
“Jack had extensive wounds on the back of his body, and the wounds were unable to heal because his skin had deteriorated due to the malnutrition that occurred while he was lost … The vet compared his skin condition to having severe burns over 50-60 percent of his body,” the statement read.
“The vet was very clear that she had conferred with every possible doctor regarding options for Jack, but none of them left him with a substantial chance of survival and all of them involved him suffering.”
American Airlines said in a previous statement that they assumed responsibility for covering Jack’s veterinary and medical expenses after he was found on October 26, nearly two months after becoming lost when Pascoe was traveling from New York to California.
 ::snipping2::A Department of Transportation Pet Incident Report released Oct. 13 revealed exactly how Jack was lost. Each of Pascoe’s cats was in its own kennel, which a clerk stacked one on top of the other. The top kennel fell and Jack escaped.
The “Jack the Cat is Lost in AA Baggage at JFK” Facebook page has more than 23,000 followers and was frequently updated while he was missing — sometimes several times a day. Every post elicited dozens, sometimes hundreds, of comments from outraged and sympathetic supporters.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:39:32 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jack-The-Cat-is-Lost-in-AA-Baggage-at-JFK/143108332445793?sk=wall&filter=2

Jack The Cat is Lost in AA Baggage at JFK

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »

Such sad news Muffy.  I just received my Global Animal alert on this news. 

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/11/07/update-rip-jack-the-cat/58033/

UPDATE: RIP Jack The Cat
November 7, 2011
(MISSING PETS) Jack the cat was put to sleep yesterday after vets concluded he was left with little chance of survival and due for only more suffering. Missing for two months at JFK Airport, Jack was found 13 days ago in critical condition. Read on for more regarding Jack’s plight and the difficult decision to end his misery. Our deepest sympathy to the friends and family of Jack. — Global Animal

::snipping2::

American Airlines issued a statement saying it was “deeply saddened” about Jack’s death, and offering “sincere apologies to Karen and Jack’s family and friends.”

“Our heart also goes out to the Friends of Jack and those in the cat-loving community who have grown fond of Jack since he went missing,” the statement reads.

Ms. Pascoe, in a telephone interview, said that she had visited Jack on Saturday, after flying back at American Airlines’ expense. “He was so weak,” she said. On Sunday, Jack died surrounded by Ms. Pascoe’s friends, including those she befriended when they joined the search for the cat.

Ms. Pascoe flew back to California on Saturday night. She could not be there Sunday evening: There were no available flights, she said.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »

And some more proof that monkeys can be smarter than a lot of humans :

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/11/07/chimp-has-a-way-with-words/57455/

Chimp Has A Way With Words
November 7, 2011
(ANIMAL INTELLIGENCE) A new research study has found that “Panzee” the Chimpanzee accurately recognizes and understands over 130 English language words. This new finding challenges the “Speech is Special” theory by proposing that although they do not have the anatomy to produce speech, non-human primates can process and perceive speech as humans do. Read on for more about Panzee’s way with words and what this means for human and ape evolution. — Global Animal

Discovery News, Jennifer Viegas

A 25-year-old chimpanzee named “Panzee” has just demonstrated that speech perception is not a uniquely human trait.

Well-educated Panzee understands more than 130 English language words and even recognizes words in sine-wave form, a type of synthetic speech that reduces language to three whistle-like tones. This shows that she isn’t just responding to a particular person’s voice or emotions, but instead she is processing and perceiving speech as humans do.

“The results suggest that the common ancestor of chimpanzees and humans may have had the capability to perceive speech-like sounds before the evolution of speech, and that early humans were taking advantage of this latent ability when speech did eventually emerge,” said Lisa Heimbauer who presented a talk today on the chimp at the 162nd Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America in San Diego.

Heimbauer, a doctoral candidate and researcher at Georgia State University’s Language Research Center, and colleagues Michael Owren and Michael Beran tested Panzee on her ability to understand words communicated via sine-wave speech, which replicates the estimated frequency and amplitude patterns of natural utterances. “Tickle,” “M&M,” “lemonade,” and “sparkler” were just a few of the test words.

Even when the words were stripped of the acoustic constituents of natural speech, Panzee knew what they meant, correctly matching them to corresponding photos.

The findings refute what is known as the “Speech is Special” theory.

::snipping2::

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »

http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars

Performance Show:  Week 8
8/7c
Monday

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »

I just saw online that there was another earthquake in Japan.  We are painting our living room and office so I have no tv service this week.  Anyone seeing this on a news station right now?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »

I just saw online that there was another earthquake in Japan.  We are painting our living room and office so I have no tv service this week.  Anyone seeing this on a news station right now?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/strong-quake-hits-southern-japan-14901718
Strong Quake Hits Southern Japan
November 8, 2011
A fairly strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.8 has hit off the shores of Japan's southern Okinawa Island.
Officials said the quake Tuesday about 135 miles (220 kilometers) away from the island was not expected to cause a tsunami. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »

Thanks Muffy

At 2:41:56 UTC time there was a 5.1 earthquake in Indonesia.

At 2:46:51 UTC time a 4.7 Earthquake hit Oklahoma same place as the bigger one.

At 2:59:06 UTC Time Taiwan had an Earthquake 6.9

These were all with in 15 minutes of each other today.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »

Thanks Muffy

At 2:41:56 UTC time there was a 5.1 earthquake in Indonesia.

At 2:46:51 UTC time a 4.7 Earthquake hit Oklahoma same place as the bigger one.

At 2:59:06 UTC Time Taiwan had an Earthquake 6.9

These were all with in 15 minutes of each other today.

Hello GE.  That's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on! 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »

GE, have you seen the thread "The Latest Major Earthquake" Aurelia 7 started in News of the Day?  I think it's going to need updating. 

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »

GE, have you seen the thread "The Latest Major Earthquake" Aurelia 7 started in News of the Day?  I think it's going to need updating. 

No I haven't see it Muffy. I will go look at it now.  Ya that's a lot of shaken going on.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »

LEP you're gbaby is gorgeous! It would take every bit of my being to hold back from biting your granddaughter's cheeks! OMG she's adorable! I LUB chubby cheeks! Congrats!
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »

Hope everyone in OK is safe! Prayers to all!
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

Hi monkeys!

Can't wait for Christmas...Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow!

Klaas or somebody that may know tech stuff...

I added ConstandGuard to this computer, now whenever I type into the comment box here, it doesn't stay where I scrolled to & the letters are getting mixed up bc of the lines. The whole comment area that I'm typing in is highlighted in blue so I know it's a secure connection but for some reason the scroll isn;t working once a certain amount of space is used. This happened to me years ago on WS and there was some kind of verify thing I did in order to get it to stop. Before you ask, I have no spam attached to the computer, no viruses, I have ConstantGuard Protection Suite which also includes Norton. My cache has been cleaned & deleted, which is done before logging out of this computer daily. Does anybody have any given idea why I'm all of a sudden incurring issues with scrolling while I'm typing a reply in here? It never happened on SM for me before so I'm thinking it has something to do with the CG? Do I maybe need to upgrade something, or check a box of some sort lol? Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »

Titch........... I'm sending Klaas a message to ask her to see your post.   

Sorry you're having 'puter problems and even more sorry I can't help!
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »

Titch........... I'm sending Klaas a message to ask her to see your post.   

Sorry you're having 'puter problems and even more sorry I can't help!

Not a problem & thank you! I think it's this ConstantGuard that I added for protection. My boys are ridiculous teens that think they know everything & they told me it was a waste, it would eat memory when having Norton should be enough, and so on. I'd just HATE to tell them they were right! Sad thing is that it took me almost 4 months to get the computers all fixed and I still needed an expert's help! Now I'm $300 poorer and I think I did something wrong! God, please don't let my know it all teenage boys be right, please please please, bc I'll never live it down.

I keep telling my husband that if we had a MAC I wouldn't have to worry about spam or viruses! Wish he'd just spend a few thou so he wouldn't have to hear me harp! I never have any problems on my iPhone or any of our iPods!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.