March 28, 2024, 04:59:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #59 10/16/11 - 04/23/12  (Read 238445 times)
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »

Tearjerker Alert: Former Lab Beagles See the Sun for the First Time

By Terri Pous

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/11/29/tearjerker-alert-former-lab-beagles-see-the-sun-for-the-first-time/#ixzz1fJXFTjek

Dog videos never fail to conjure up some sort of emotion. And this one really brings the waterworks. The above footage shows male beagles that were rescued from a California university animal testing lab seeing sunlight and stepping on grass for the first time.

The rescue mission, which happened in June, was recently followed by a much larger one from a lab in Spain. The group that undertook the cause, Animal Rescue Media Education (ARME), rescued a total of 72 dogs in the most recent effort, 32 of them having already been adopted in Europe, according to NBC Los Angeles.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zLZMxRP_F5w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/zLZMxRP_F5w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »

CBB my thoughts and prayers are with you and KuBear.  We have all followed along with your stories of life with this sweet dog and are hoping for the best possible outcome.  Hugs.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »

San thank you for that link.  The expressions in those dog's eyes as they realise they are FREE is so emotional to watch.  Bless all these people who work towards freeing all the laboratory animals.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »

San thank you for that link.  The expressions in those dog's eyes as they realise they are FREE is so emotional to watch.  Bless all these people who work towards freeing all the laboratory animals.

Hi Tibro, wasn't that so sad to see the dogs expressions.  It was kind of sad and happy too to find out they are all doing well.
Lake Erie Princess
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »

CBB ~ My thoughts and prayers are with u and you fur kid. The short length of a dog's life, STINKS !

SAN & all fellow monkeys ~ Laboratories who test on animals is dispicable. WE STOPPED FEEDING OUR DOGS, IAMS
AFTER WE EDUCATED OURSELVES ON HOW THEY TEST ON DOGS IN THEIR PERSONAL LABS. IT IS SICKENING ! 

Why do people kill people,who kill people, to show people that to kill people is bad ?
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »

I just wanted to call them and tell them I would take them all.  From what I have read, some have been adopted!

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »

By Terri Pous

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/11/29/tearjerker-alert-former-lab-beagles-see-the-sun-for-the-first-time/#ixzz1fJXFTjek

Dog videos never fail to conjure up some sort of emotion. And this one really brings the waterworks. The above footage shows male beagles that were rescued from a California university animal testing lab seeing sunlight and stepping on grass for the first time.

The rescue mission, which happened in June, was recently followed by a much larger one from a lab in Spain. The group that undertook the cause, Animal Rescue Media Education (ARME), rescued a total of 72 dogs in the most recent effort, 32 of them having already been adopted in Europe, according to NBC Los Angeles.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zLZMxRP_F5w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/zLZMxRP_F5w?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Thanks San , heartbreaking...sometimes those of us who love our furbabies so much forget there are these who have lived their whole lives in a cage.  I've cried and cried...their eyes said it all.  I'm glad they're free now and I hope they have good homes.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »

By Terri Pous

Thanks San , heartbreaking...sometimes those of us who love our furbabies so much forget there are these who have lived their whole lives in a cage.  I've cried and cried...their eyes said it all.  I'm glad they're free now and I hope they have good homes.

I just can't make myself watch it, even though it ends well. This time.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »

San, Thanks for sharing the video. I'm a real tenderfoot when it comes to stuff like this and literally turn away from even the animal cruelty commercials on TV. I watched with one finger on the pause button in case it was too painful, but I didn't use it. Muffy.......... this isn't a real kick in the gut......... it really leaves you with encouragement that there are people so committed to rescuing these poor dogs.

San, I'm glad to know people are helping these beautiful, sweet dogs!

crazybabyborg
« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »

Thanks again all for the kind words, thoughts and prayers for KuBear. I've started taking her to visit my son's dog each day for a while. It seems to be helping her spirits and she's perked up some. I bought some immune booster wafers online........ probably just a sales pitch but they recommend it for dogs with cancer. 

Until today, I purposely hadn't looked up anything on Stage 3 Mast Cell tumors in dogs. It wasn't a good idea. It only gave me another occasion to have a good cry and it won't change anything. She's had a good day today, and one day at a time is the only way forward.

Love you guys!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2011, 11:10:10 PM »

Thanks again all for the kind words, thoughts and prayers for KuBear. I've started taking her to visit my son's dog each day for a while. It seems to be helping her spirits and she's perked up some. I bought some immune booster wafers online........ probably just a sales pitch but they recommend it for dogs with cancer. 

Until today, I purposely hadn't looked up anything on Stage 3 Mast Cell tumors in dogs. It wasn't a good idea. It only gave me another occasion to have a good cry and it won't change anything. She's had a good day today, and one day at a time is the only way forward.

Love you guys!

Love you too CBB!!     I'm keeping you and Ku in my thoughts and prayers. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving Day!!!

Love it!  T.Y.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »

Search our FREE WWII military collections (so they say)

70th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor

Search our FREE WWII military collections

Dec 2-7

http://www.ancestry.com/pearlharbor?o_iid=49210&o_lid=49210&o_sch=Web+Property

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
luvmyboys
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »

o/t but i have a question..i might be getting a kindle touch..i am wondering if i can get on the internet like facebook or can you only download books..and if so how do you get the books?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »

o/t but i have a question..i might be getting a kindle touch..i am wondering if i can get on the internet like facebook or can you only download books..and if so how do you get the books?

http://askville.amazon.com/Kindle-browse-Internet-yahoo-web-page-send-email/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=75490620

Yes, you can go to Yahoo and send e-mail. The problem is that the keyboard really sucks. If you have small fingers, it's a bit better, but I find it's easy to type more than one latter at a time. So a smart phone might be better to text people with than a Kindle.

Mostly, I will use the Web on the Kindle to put in bookmarks of websites I frequently go to, so I don't have to type the URL. Just hit the bookmark and start reading. But you can certainly send a short e-mail to someone, like "I'm coming late" or something like that.

DanZee 12 months ago

From me:  I don't own a kindle but sounds like there is a regular internet browser so you can do internet stuff.  As far as getting the books, I'm sure you simply download them just as you would a song from iTunes.
Itaryl Moosee
Monkey Junky

« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »

Now that it's been brought up, there was a lot of old technology up for sale during Black Friday.

On televisions, Walmart and many other stores sold big screen televisions for five and six hundred dollars. Sounds like a bargain. But, the TVs were mostly the 720p resolution with 60hz. The current (and has been for years) resolution standard is 1080p.

Also the refresh rate... the bargains are 60hz, when the norm now is 120hz on LCDs, but for the past two or three years has been 240hz, and the plasmas refresh at 600hz (have for years.)

About Kindle, Kindle Fire is the newest and hottest Kindle, which sells for around $200. The Kindle being sold for less than $100 is the old Kindle, which is old technology now. Not sure on the other models, though.

Another ripoff on customers: X-Box. People don't realize that the X-Box being sold as a "bargain" for less than $100, is the 4Gb which is on the way out. The new X-Box now comes with 250Gb, which costs over $200 on sale.

One final word of advice by this seasoned shopper... if you are buying something and they offer you a gift card with money in it... chances are there is a new product that is better.

Even though one may not have need for new technology, buying the old is not using money wisely. IMO. I've learned this by experience, by asking people who know, and by doing a little research.

JMO.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

http://smmercury.com/51160/smcisd-dog-reading-program-garners-statewide-attention/
SMCISD dog reading program garners statewide attention
December 1, 2011

Moses, left, and Israel Daniel, right. PHOTO via SMCISD

STAFF REPORT

Texas School Business magazine announced today that San Marcos CISD’s Animal Reading Friends program is one of 12 initiatives to be honored in the magazine’s Fifth Annual Bragging Rights 2011-2012 special issue.

The special issue, which accepts nominations and selects 12 stories to highlight, was distributed to more than 8,000 readers with a vested interest in Texas public education. With pass-along readership, the annual issue will reach at least 25,000 readers.

“We were impressed by the cleverness of this program, and it’s clearly making a difference among shy readers,” said Katie Ford, Texas School Business editorial director. “This is a model program, and we’re proud to highlight it as an example of excellence in Texas public education.”

Travis Elementary School’s Animal Reading Friends program began in September 2010 with trained Delta Society Pet Partner dogs Magellan and Moses visiting the school on Fridays with volunteer handlers Julie and Kevin Romig. The students would read with the dogs during 20-minute sessions. The program, known as ARF, is intended to pair struggling readers with a dog that patiently and non-judgmentally listens as they read.

“When reading with Moses or Magellan, the children relax,” said SMCISD spokesperson Iris Campbell. “Soon they enjoy reading aloud and are looking forward to the next time they can visit with their canine friends. Confidence grows, as do reading scores. Self-esteem and attendance improve.”

More..

Courtney Beal, left, and Magellan, right. PHOTO via SMCISD

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2011, 03:54:48 AM »

Thanks Muffy  That is awesome. If you think about it the children can relax and not worry about someone getting impatient with them. What a wonderful idea. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #238 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »

Thanks Muffy  That is awesome. If you think about it the children can relax and not worry about someone getting impatient with them. What a wonderful idea. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »

YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THE DANA PRETZER SHOW, THURSDAY NIGHT AT 9PM ET. 

GUESS WHO DANA'S SPECIAL GUEST IS?

HINT

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.