March 29, 2024, 04:53:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The War in Libya: Race, "Humanitarianism,"..." - Illegal Immigrants-Aliens  (Read 2192 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: April 21, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »

This blog raises some interesting questions.

"We left behind our friends from Chad.  We left behind their bodies.  We had 70 or 80 people from Chad working for our company.  They cut them dead with pruning shears and axes, attacking them, saying you're providing troops for Gadhafi.  The Sudanese, the Chadians were massacred.  We saw it ourselves."  (A Turkish oilfield worker who fled Libya, speaking to the BBC and quoted in NPR's "In Libya, African Migrants Say They Face Hostility," 25 February 2011)

"I am a worker, not a fighter.  They took me from my house and [raped] my wife," he said, gesturing with his hands.  Before he could say much more, a pair of guards told him to shut up and hustled him through the steel doors of a cell block, which quickly slammed behind them.  Several reporters protested and the man was eventually brought back out.  He spoke in broken, heavily accented English and it was hard to hear and understand him amid the scrum of scribes pushing closer.  He said his name was Alfusainey Kambi, and again professed innocence before being confronted by an opposition official, who produced two Gambian passports.  One was old and tattered and the other new.  And for some reason, the official said the documents were proof positive that Kambi was a Kadafi operative. . . .  All I know is that the Geneva Convention explicitly prohibits prisoners of war from being paraded and questioned before cameras of any kind.  But that's exactly what happened today.  The whole incident just gave me a really bad vibe, and thank God it finally ended . . . . 
  • ur interpreter, a Libyan national, asked [LA Times reported David] Zucchino: "So what do you think?  Should we just go ahead and kill them?"  (Luis Sinco, "Journalists Visit Prisoners Held by Rebels in Libya," Los Angeles Times, 23 March 2011)
To what extent is the revolt in Libya a continuation of earlier race riots against the presence of migrant workers from Sub-Saharan Africa?  Where do members of the Gaddafi regime, some of whom were apparently responsible for setting security forces against those migrants, fit in with the current rebel leadership?  How does the calculated cultivation of racial fear and racially selective xenophobia tie in with calls for foreign military ("humanitarian") intervention?  How might intervening powers be providing cover for another massacre, one that is color-coded and rendered invisible?  How do the mass media, social media, and government pronouncements from NATO members feed off each other?  When both sides in a war have killed civilians, by what definition of "humanitarianism" do we intercede on one side in an armed conflict?

...It reminds me of an old racial saying I learned in the Caribbean, truncated here: "If you're white, you're alright . . . and if you're black, go back."  The point here is to explore and critique an issue that thus far exists only on the margins of media coverage and human rights discourse around Libya, that being the extent to which racism, and specifically the demonization of Sub-Saharan Africans, provides the unifying logic that bridged local revolt with imperial intervention.

lots of interesting reading here - http://mathaba.net/news/?x=626505

I always considered Libya part of Africa.  The Libyan's I see in the news do seem to have lighter skins.  I recall many have suggested that Italy agreed to something to keep waves of black skinned Africans from becoming illegal immigrants via the Libya - Italy route.

If the Libyan's are light skinned, who are these black skinned illegal immigrants?

Was the intervention in Libya to prevent the slaughter of illegal aliens from other parts of Africa?

The 'responsibility to act' setting up intervention by the UN in the American dialog about illegal aliens from Mexico and other nations? 

How long before foreign troops are sent to conquer the US due to this new 'responsibility to act'?  America being set up for foreign occupation?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »

According to the report - The Europol Terrorism Situation and Trend Report 2011, “The current and future flow of immigrants originating from North Africa could have an influence on the EU’s security situation. Individuals with terrorist aims could easily enter Europe amongst the large numbers of immigrants.”

Europol’s choice of the words “originating in North Africa” are indicative in that it is making a distinction between the hundreds of thousands of sub-Saharan Africans fleeing Libya and the actual North Africans fleeing toward Europe.

more here - http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=123888

Does Washington care about the criminals, terrorists, and smugglers, coming north over America's southern border?  How they affect American culture? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »

Europe should drastically reduce immigration for the simple reason that immigration is draining the emerging democracies of North Africa and sub-Saharan Africa of the youth and skills that those countries must have in order to successfully develop and for Europe to invest in them. This would also make it possible for many of those who have already immigrated to Europe to return to their home countries and, because of their experience of life in Europe, be able to accelerate the development process in the emerging democracies. -- Charles, United Kingdom

Why not send illegal immigrants to the US home for the same reason?  Isn't the US robbing these countries of the youth (brain drain) they need to develop?

Yes, of course! EU countries should chip in to help with the refugee crisis! After all, Italy, Cyprus and Malta are part of the EU. But I believe Germany should reinstate border control, if only in fairness to those of us who try to get valid visas but were denied due to doubts about returning to the home country. These illegals never had it so good! They just board a boat and presto - they're on their way to Europe - Gratis et amore! -- Rodrigo, Philippines

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15001500,00.html

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »

And he insisted that France remained open to migrants from Tunisia, though it could not accept illegal immigration, which he described as a “scourge”.

In recent weeks, France has controversially refused to accept automatically Tunisian migrants who have been granted temporary residence permits in Italy.

But Juppé declared that France was “not a closed country,” and reminded his audience that the rate of refusal of visas for Tunisians wishing to visit France was ten per cent.

http://www.english.rfi.fr/africa/20110421-france-gives-aid-totunisia

Imagine, someone thinks illegal immigration is a 'scourge'...

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »

Race Riots in Libya, Pre-2011, a Split in the Regime, and a Preview of the Present Crisis

PLANELOADS of bodies, dead and alive, flew back to West Africa from Tripoli this week. . . .  Emeka Nwanko, a 26-year-old Nigerian welder, was one of hundreds of thousands of black victims of the Libyan mob.  He fled as gangs trashed his workshop.  His friend was blinded, as Libyan gangs wielding machetes roamed the African townships.  Bodies were hacked and dumped on motorways.  A Chadian diplomat was lynched and Niger's embassy put to the torch. . . .  Some of Libya's indigenous 1m black citizens were mistaken for migrants, and dragged from taxis.  In parts of Benghazi, blacks were barred from public transport and hospitals.  Pitched battles erupted in Zawiya, a town near Tripoli that is ringed with migrant shantytowns.  Diplomats said that at least 150 people were killed, 16 of them Libyans. . . .  Anti-black violence had been simmering for months, fired by an economic crisis.  Colonel Qaddafi heads Africa's richest state in terms of income per person.  This year oil will earn him $11 billion.  But Libyans, feeding their families on monthly salaries of $170, see the money squandered on foreign adventures, the latest of which is the colonel's pan-Africa policy.  As billions flowed out in aid, and visa-less migrants flowed in, Libyans feared they were being turned into a minority in their own land.  Church attendance soared in this Muslim state. . . .  Black-bashing has become a popular afternoon sport for Libya's unemployed youths.  The rumour that a Nigerian had raped a Libyan girl in Zawiya was enough to spark a spree of ethnic cleansing. . . .  In their rampage on migrant workers, the Libyan mob spared Arabs, including the 750,000 Egyptians.  (The Economist, "Pogrom," 14 October 2000)

Remember we are being shown these, because we are the intended audience, not the Libyans, most of whom find access to the Internet blocked and only 5% of whom use Twitter.  And those producing these allegations share both their racial fears with us, but also assume that we will understand them: that we will naturally recoil at the sight of a black man.

How do you have a popular revolution when there is virtually no internet and only 5% use Twitter?

Starting on February 17 itself, Al Jazeera picked up and ran with many of the allegations that "African mercenaries" were at work in "massacring" Libyans.  On February 18 Al Jazeera broadcast this report, featuring someone in Benghazi speaking by telephone, who asserted (without any actual evidence provided) that African invaders were killing civilians.  In addition, that speaker asked in an impassioned voice: "Where is Obama?  Where is the rest of the world?"  The marriage between rumor, racial scapegoating, media, and foreign intervention was thus hastily conceived.

Where is Obama???  Maybe they think Obama would be fearful of black African mercenaries?

http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2011/forte200411.html

There is sooo much about Libya that I just don't understand.  Is this Obama's Vietnam?  How many decades before America pulls out?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.