March 28, 2024, 01:39:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butter versus Margarine  (Read 5227 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 24, 2007, 12:32:15 AM »

Here is an email I just received, and gives us something to think about to go with the wheat poisoning scare:

PASS THE BUTTER

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.  When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out
what to do with this product to get their money back.  It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold  it to people to use in place of butter.  How do you like it?  They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW..the difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact....  HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone should be enough to have us avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance.

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area.  Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it.   Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.  

Why?  Because it is nearly plastic.  

Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:09:34 AM »

Interesting Tibro!
  FWIW.. I have always been a butter gal.   Smile
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:52:23 AM »

EWwwwww
Personally, I only use butter, but the family as a whole also use the yogart based or olive oil based spreads. Wonder if that is ok?
 I never liked margerine, I guess my instincts knew why lol. EWwww, just thinking of what you posted.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 05:19:09 AM »

Yes Angie and Seamonkey I am a butter only user also and after reading this article I am very glad to be one.
I would expect those yogurt and olive oil based spreads would be alright.  It looks like we need to read every label on every item nowadays.
I would prefer Vegemite to Tupperware on my toast.  Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 05:34:16 AM »

Very Happy Me too lol Yummm vegemite
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:42:59 AM »

I am a butter user also.  

Everyone screams at me when I butter my toast or bagel in the morning because I put so much on it. Very Happy
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 09:55:46 AM »

Strictly a butter eater here too!  Love the stuff!

I never did trust margerine..now I know why!!!!
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »

Dang it!  I just made a plastic cake because I didn't have any butter..go figure. Rolling Eyes  Laughing
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 11:58:36 PM »

This looks like this may be one of those urban myths - see Snopes article below:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

However, here is some good info concerning margarine.  Seems some are healthier than others!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/butter-vs-margarine/AN00835

Here's to healthier eating!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 01:03:39 AM »

Brown & Brumley made with yogurt spread or Land O Lakes Butter.   Cool   Too many margarines are trans fats.  Birds will not eat margarine if that tells you anything.  They know it is not a natural food.

Personally, I don't think fats are the main cause of hear disease but rather lack of exercise to make heart stronger.  Some have genetically weak hearts and even that won't help but for most, moving more would be of more benefit than dietery restriction of unsaturated fats.

JMO and I am not a physician nor did I stay, etc. etc. . . .

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »

Same here,  Butter gal.  Although my hubby uses that heart smart stuff.  I can't bring myself to try it.....  I accidently left it out on the counter  on a warm day and it melted and separated to put a white film on the top,  it was so gross looking that I couldn't bear to even taste it.

Maine, born and raised!
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 03:12:30 PM »

>>>>snip
Hydrogenated fats have a higher melting point than fats that are liquid at room temperature. They are less well utilized in your body. They do not circulate in the blood or move through the tissues as liquids. They may disrupt the permeability characteristics of the membranes of the body's cells and prevent the normal transport of nutrients into and out of cells. Hydrogenated fats produce a deficiency of essential fatty acids (EFA) by destroying them, or producing abnormal toxic fatty acids. Deficiency of EFA is a contributory cause in neurological diseases, heart disease, arteriosclerosis, skin disease, various degenerative conditions such as cataract and arthritis, and cancer.

http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/articles/p122.htm

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.