March 29, 2024, 02:43:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stocks Secure Best Week in Four Years--Headline says it All  (Read 2700 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 24, 2007, 09:26:51 PM »

It may not last for long under this new congress but at the present time, the economy is enjoying a tremendously healthy run of it.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8O23OR00&show_article=1

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »

Thank you, Anna. I heard that spring cleaning is not just about the house, it's about everything, but particularly about one's financial status. I'll look over my portfolio. What are you invested in? Do you have a broker or do you do it yourself and trade online?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:39:42 AM »

I use Ameritrade because it is cheap.   Very Happy I don't have anything like a personal broker, prolly wouldn't listen any way.

I am looking for some good bonds right now.  The last thing I did buy was BLUEX (Brandywine's Health and Technologies Mutual Fund) but I would like something in Dreyfeuss' China Mutual Funds, just not sure which one and they are expensive so can't afford to make a mistake.   Confused

No indices for me right now of any kind as I do expect a downturn, can't go up forever but will use that as a time to buy, trying to hit at the nadir.  

Wish I had the time and nerve to do day trading, plus, of course, the money to spare in case it didn't work out.  Maybe one of these days, I will have a little money just for that.  One of my kids has done pretty well with his penny stocks, is up about forty percent in three years.  Like to think I could do as well as he does but doubt I really could.

So next down turn, I will try to find a good deal in bonds.  I don't have ANY right now and that is bad.  I am holding several drug companies and need to do something as they are not performing as I had expected.  Will move some of that to the more dependable if slower bonds, a more sure thing.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 01:30:26 AM »

Dear Anna,

Bonds are the best possible investment. My mother explained ... You give them $20K or more or less, you get an interest check every month and when the bond period ends or a bond call happens, you get your $20K back. If you find a good deal in bonds, I'd love it if you could send me a link.

When Xerox laid me off in 1994, I came away with $20K of benefits. I rolled it over into an IRA via Morgan Stanley and it was invested very conservatively.  

Then came the Dot Com / technology boom. My Xerox money eventually doubled in six years to $40K. I conferred with my broker and changed my safe and conservative investments into a mutual fund of tech stocks, in order to make more money.

After that, my IRA declined back down to $20K - the original amount.

Then came September 11. The government asked us not to sell our investments. On September 12, I called my broker and requested she get me the hell out of tech stocks because I'm stopping at the point at which I started ... $20K. So now I'm in such safe investments that don't grow.

What are "penny" stocks?

My mother left me her portfolio with emphasis on utility stocks. We are always going to need utilities. I have San Diego Gas and Electric which changed to Sempra Energy. I also have Exelon, which used to be Com Edison. Those stocks are growing. Since July 2004, my 600 shares of Sempra have risen from $21,204 to $36,126 as of 3/15 2007.

Exelon is always growing.                                              

Anna, I enjoy exchanging thoughts with you very much. Can we have more conversations like this?

With love,
Louise

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »

I do not recommend them but this is an example of a penny stock.  They are favs of day traders.

----

Just take a look at this one...

S.umbol: PLMA
Current price: $0.02
5 Day Target price: $0.1
Recommendation: very aggresive buy!!!

SOMEBODY KNOWS SOMETHING!!

PLMA has a nice fresh news, contact your broker!!

--------

They are very dangerous in that a company so small can declare insolvency of some sort and just vanish overnight, sell out, many things happen.

But if this one were to hit its target of ten cents up from two cents, you can see the tremendous gain potential.  My son who has more time to devote to watching these sorts of things managed to almost double his little nest egg with some of these.  Of course, I am sure he never tells about the ones that lose, too, but on the gross amounts, he is definitely up for the last three years.

Might be fun to set aside an amount one could afford to lose, say a thousand dollars and see what could be done with them.  Much more like gambling than true investment.  I have just never had money enough ahead to fool with them, anything I felt I could afford to lose which would be about the only way I would ever invest in the penny stocks.

And I am sure the trick is to get out while the stock is ahead even by a small margin because that's all they have, small amounts like that.

Still, I do find them interesting at times. Maybe tempting is a better word for my interest in them.   Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:58 PM »

Thanks Anna. No penny stocks for me! Please let me know if you hear of a good bond.

Louise

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.