March 18, 2024, 10:01:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise Ship Risks Continue  (Read 6059 times)
Mere
Monkey Junky

« on: March 25, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »

Two very lucky people...!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/25/cruise.ship.overboard/index.html

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- More than four hours after they fell from a cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico, two vacationers were pulled from the water about 150 miles off the Galveston, Texas, coast early Sunday, according to the cruise line and the U.S. Coast Guard.

The 22-year-old man and 20-year-old woman apparently fell from a passenger's cabin balcony on the Grand Princess about eight hours after the cruise ship left the Galveston port, said Julie Benson, spokeswoman for Princess Cruises.

"When alerted to this, the ship stopped, initiated an emergency search operation, and returned to the position where the overboard incident was initially reported," Benson said, adding that the ship turned around and headed back within 10 minutes of getting word.

"Rescue boats were launched from Grand Princess, and the U.S. Coast Guard was notified," she said.

A cruise ship rescue boat pulled one passenger from the water at 5:30 a.m. and the second was rescued a half-hour later, Benson said.

The two passengers were in "fairly good condition" and were being examined by the cruise ship's medical staff, Benson said. A decision has not been made whether to take them to a hospital, she said.

"It's amazing these two are alive and well," said Kevan Shaw, a Grand Princess passenger.

Shaw said rescuers fished the woman out of the water, and he saw her bundled in a blanket looking "a little cold" on the ship, which has been anchored about 200 miles southeast of Houston.

As rescuers hoisted up the life boat, Shaw said, he and others "saw the man in the water" and he was "yelling and waving to us."

Coast guard officials "found the man nude in the water but he was then clothed and is now on the ship's deck in a wheelchair," Shaw said.

Houston Coast Guard Lt. Kevin Kurczewski said a rescue helicopter and jet were deployed at 3 a.m. to search for them.

The Grand Princess, with 2,783 passengers and 1,122 crew, departed Galveston Saturday afternoon for a week-long voyage through the western Caribbean, according to Benson.

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »

My husband read this report to me earlier today.  I just read another report about it a few minutes ago.  Having cruised only once, we did have a cabin with a balcony, which was very relaxing.  I cannot imagine how one would put themselves close enough to the railing to fall off, let alone two...unless one was trying to push the other, or save the other....beats me. Question  Confused

The young man that was rescued a week or so ago off the FL coast was reportedly inebriated.  

You're right though, MeMere, they were lucky.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »

http://blogs.courant.com/travel_columnists_leblanc/2007/03/couple_overboar.html

Interesting perspective above.  We have cruised some 15 + times and we have always had a balcony cabin. We have also cruised on the Grand Princess which is the ship in queston. The railing comes up about 4'3".  I am 5"7" and it comes mid chest on me. In order to "fall off" you would have to climb on something, or be sitting on the railing to fall over, or take a running jump and hop on something to jump over.  I suspect drinking was involved, and our cruise critic blog suggest something more amorous may have been involved.  On the railing??  There really is no way to accidently fall off.  Such ignorant people, and how fortunate they were rescued.  I do think that the cruise line and the coast guard should charge them for the rescue.

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:18:42 PM »

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:13:19 AM »

It is speculated the woman was sitting on the railing (the 4'3"). He lifted her up there and you can guess the rest. When he tipped her backwards to far, they both went overboard.

They were dare devils.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 08:58:34 PM »

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6281238&nav=Bsmh

Kids, with too much booze and not enough sense!

AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »

Quote from: "AZSunny"
http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6281238&nav=Bsmh

Kids, with too much booze and not enough sense!

By the way,  I heard they were "table dancing" on the balcony.  real smart.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 02:47:42 PM »

Just checked www.cruisebruise.com to see what they had on this:

http://tinyurl.com/2jz8j2

UPDATE: March 26, 2007

New information has become public. The cruise lines say the couple is seperating, going their seperate ways.  

The man involved in the incident was not married to the woman he fell overboard with. He was released from the ship's medical center March 26 and  has decided to continue on the cruise.

The woman, however, has decided to disembark at the Cozumel, Mexico port of call, and return home. She is going to get further medical treatment. It is unclear if they went on the cruise together, or met onboard.

The man has told cruise ship employees that he removed his clothing in the water, as a survival technique.

This story is unfolding. Please check back.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:49 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
It is speculated the woman was sitting on the railing (the 4'3"). He lifted her up there and you can guess the rest. When he tipped her backwards to far, they both went overboard.

They were dare devils.

Happened in Aruba too. A few years ago, I think it was at the HI. A couple had been out tanning and drinking, and when they got  back to the room, I guess one or both decided to get kinky and have sex on the balcony. The suntan lotion caused him to lose his grip and in this case the woman fell over the balcony, and was killed. I don't know how extensively it was investigated-it was deemed an accident.

Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »

I know it was serious, and I do thank God no one was seriously hurt..BUT
 I also couldn't help laughing when I heard this. I mean, imagine, here are two adventurous individuals, away from home on a ship, probably with all common sense long abandoned in favor a fleeting moment in time of a sorrid memory to carry them through whatever life has to offer in thier normal every day lives..and SPLASH!! They couldn't get that right!! lol
 It gives folks that sometimes say "if something can go wrong it will and usually does to me"  something to hold up in honor. lol
 They were so young, I hope this incident didn't kill thier adventurous streak forever, and maybe taught them that a balcony on a moving ship in the middle of the ocean isn't perhaps the best place to play out some fleeting fantasy.

My advice to them..
pick some very dark corner in a smokey pool hall, you don't fall as far. lol
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 09:30:58 PM »

In what Princess' spokeswoman Julie Benson swears is the last update on the episode involving the 20-something duo that went overboard on Grand Princess over the weekend, we hear that the unnamed 22-year-old man will stay onboard and continue his vacation.

The 20-year-old woman has, however, disembarked. Apparently she needed further medical attention and an ambulance was waiting for her yesterday when the ship docked at Mexico's Costa Maya. She has minor injuries but will undergo further testing at a local hospital as a precaution. She'll then head home.

In Princess' latest statement, the line says that "At the request of both passengers, we are not providing any information about their identity, residence nor the circumstances of the highly unusual incident. We have concluded that their going overboard was an accident, and we consider the matter closed."

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »

Quote from: "Seamonkey"
I know it was serious, and I do thank God no one was seriously hurt..BUT
 I also couldn't help laughing when I heard this. I mean, imagine, here are two adventurous individuals, away from home on a ship, probably with all common sense long abandoned in favor a fleeting moment in time of a sorrid memory to carry them through whatever life has to offer in thier normal every day lives..and SPLASH!! They couldn't get that right!! lol
 It gives folks that sometimes say "if something can go wrong it will and usually does to me"  something to hold up in honor. lol
 They were so young, I hope this incident didn't kill thier adventurous streak forever, and maybe taught them that a balcony on a moving ship in the middle of the ocean isn't perhaps the best place to play out some fleeting fantasy.

My advice to them..
pick some very dark corner in a smokey pool hall, you don't fall as far. lol

Nicely put SM.  Laughing

AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »

http://www.gazette.com/onset?id=20728&template=article.html

Cruise ship diver a cadet
By TOM ROEDER, THE GAZETTE
March 31, 2007 - 7:17AM

An Air Force Academy cadet who stayed afloat for more than four hours after diving off a cruise ship to help a companion who fell overboard is doing well and will be back this weekend, the academy said Friday.

Cadet Ernesto Guzman was aboard a Princess Cruises vessel in the Gulf of Mexico when he took the plunge last weekend to rescue a female companion, according to a number of news accounts. The pair were rescued from their accidental late-night swim four hours later.

An academy spokesman said officials from the school had talked to Guzman, a junior, by telephone and confirmed that he and his friend are doing well.

According to an account by News Channel 5 Belize, a television outlet in a Latin American nation where the ship made a port call, Guzman leapt into the Gulf of Mexico sometime early Sunday during the first day of a cruise that left from Galveston, Texas.

The television report said that the woman with Guzman, identified only as a 20-yearold college student, fell as many as nine stories into the water from a stateroom balcony aboard the 951-foot Grand Princess and that Guzman followed.
It’s unclear what caused the woman to fall.

Grand Princess is scheduled to dock in Galveston today. Julie Benson, director of public relations for Princess Cruises, didn’t return a phone call seeking comment.

An Associated Press report said the ship, which carries 2,600 passengers, immediately maneuvered in a bid to rescue the pair and lit up the water with searchlights, but the two were not found in the darkness. Passengers were asked to be silent while crew members listened for cries from the overboard couple.

The two were located by a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter, which used its spotlight to guide rescue craft from the cruise ship, the Coast Guard said Friday. Both were fully clothed when rescued.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Thomas Blue at the Coast Guard’s New Orleans headquarters said the service has determined what happened on the ship was an accident and doesn’t require further investigation.

Academy spokesman Meade Warthen said Guzman credited his survival with training he received at the academy.

All cadets are required to take an extensive water survival course, which includes how to leap into the water from a high-dive platform and how to stay afloat by inflating clothing with air.

The rigorous training is designed for pilots who might be forced to ditch an aircraft at sea.
The Belize station reported that Guzman’s companion was trained as a lifeguard.

Guzman and his companion were treated for minor injuries after their rescue, the television station reported, and the woman returned home to Colorado after the ship stopped in Mexico.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.