April 24, 2024, 02:30:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "El zapato está en el otro pie." - Not  (Read 1278 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 22, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »

“Spanish-Speaking Only” Mayoral Debate Fuels Charges of Racial Bias

posted at 1:59 pm on May 20, 2011 by Howard Portnoy

El zapato está en el otro pie. That’s Spanish for “the shoe is on the other foot,” a phrase that seems applicable to a mayoral debate held in Miami last week that excluded participants who were not fluent in the local vernacular. In the case of the debate, the local vernacular was Spanish.

The event, held at Florida International University and broadcast by Spanish language TV channel Univision, outraged the non-Spanish-speaking mayoral candidates and many audience members. A student at the university commented, “We have a large Hispanic community, but this is Miami and we like to celebrate our diversity here. I don’t think it’s right to exclude any candidate.”

Interestingly, the complaints of racial bias are being leveled not only by Caucasians but by other people “of color.” Roosevelt Bradley, a black candidate, called the publicly funded event “polarizing and divisive,” adding, “this turns the clock back 50 years on race and ethnic relations.”

read more here - http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2011/05/20/spanish-speaking-only-mayoral-debate-fuels-charges-of-racial-bias/

When other non-English speaking immigrants came to this country, they learned to speak English.  There was no education in multiple languages, everyone learned English.  If members of the community needed language help, they relied on their own resources, they didn't expect everyone to cater to their language needs.

They also created schools in their native language, newspapers, all kinds of things.  Their children leaned English.  This is the history of many Americans.

What kind of people force their language onto others?  Invaders.  When Hitler occuplied Poland and other places, he brought and established German families from the homeland to take over the farms, businesses, and communities of the occupied lands.  Replacing language was an established part of occupation.  For some reason, the occupiers/invaders felt the need to destroy communities and replace the native language.

How many children in Mongolia now learn Chinese?  Russian was the language of the old Soviet Union. 

Why should any community in America learn Spanish or conduct important business in Spanish?

Occupiers/invaders change and distort history, change languages, and destroy nations.

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »

I was reminded of the profile of the "Ugly American" being pushed by some for decades.

Are Spanish speakers the "Ugly Americans"?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.