April 24, 2024, 03:15:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bailout Favoritism? Bondholder haircuts?  (Read 1617 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 23, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »

The press in the US talks about Obama finding his 'Irish' roots...really?

"Irish PM Enda Kenny bids to make ally of Obama on bailout"

Taoiseach Enda Kenny will today attempt to make US President Barack Obama an ally in the Republic's drive to improve the terms of the IMF/EU bailout.

But he will explain Ireland's position on the bailout and why the government is seeking a lower interest rate and flexibility on the terms applying.

However, it is unlikely Mr Kenny will bring up a claim that US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner vetoed the previous government's attempt to force a 30bn euro haircut on unguaranteed bondholders.

Who are the 'unguaranteed bondholders' of Ireland?  Could you name some names?

How much did the secured bondholders of the auto companies lose due to the Obama administrations scalpel?  How much did big banks gain in their dealings with the reorganizations?  How much did the auto makers and their banks get from the Federal Reserve?

Who are the debt ceiling billionaires of the US?  Ireland?  Other in the Euro zone?

Why shouldn't those unsecured bondholders take a 'haircut'?

It was not clear if the plight of the undocumented Irish emigrants in the US would be brought up by the government. Some coalition sources said it would be on the agenda for the 45-minute meeting.

What about the millions of unemployed Americans?  Overburdened taxpayers?  Property tax payers?  Schools? 

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/irish-pm-enda-kenny-bids-to-make-ally-of-obama-on-bailout-16003050.html#ixzz1NBX6Cjmj

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »

Why should Geithner care if Ireland wants a 30bn euro haircut on unguaranteed bondholders?  Who holds those bonds?  Why should Geithner be involved in this decision?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.