June 01, 2024, 10:32:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HPV Vaccination Not Cost Effective In The Netherlands, Study Shows  (Read 1888 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 02, 2009, 08:54:14 AM »

ScienceDaily (July 1, 2009) — Even under favorable assumptions, including lifelong protection against 70% of all cervical cancers and no side effects, vaccination against the human papillomavirus (HPV) is not cost-effective in the Netherlands, according to a study published online July 1 in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

They found that adding HPV vaccination was not cost-effective, even under favorable assumptions.

"To become cost-effective, the vaccine price would have to be decreased considerably, depending on the effectiveness of the vaccine," the authors write.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090701182916.htm

I wonder if the cost effectiveness applies in the U.S.?  Has the price of vaccines come down?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »

FDA Mulls Giving HPV Vaccine To Men
Critics Say Treatment Not Cost Effective

Since the vaccine was approved three years ago, 25 percent of U.S. women between the ages of 9 and 26 have been vaccinated.

Critics said it's not cost effective to vaccinate men, if so many women are getting the shots. The treatment costs about $500. So far about 24 million doses of Gardasil have been used in the U.S

But some people question its safety. The FDA has logged almost 14,000 bad reactions among users, including 39 deaths according to statistics from the Center For Disease Control. A small percentage suffered seizures and paralysis.

But the government said there is no proof that links the vaccine to the adverse side effects.

http://www.kctv5.com/news/19847006/detail.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »

According to the group, the FDA documented 6,723 “adverse events” related to Gardasil in 2008, of which 1,061 were considered “serious,” and 142 considered “life threatening,” Judicial Watch said. The group said it obtained the data from VAERS.

Since last June, 235 cases detailed permanent disability. There were also 29 new cases of Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and 147 cases of “spontaneous abortions,” or miscarriages, when the vaccine was given to pregnant women, Judicial Watch said.

Judicial Watch also documented 62 cases of Gardasil recipients who developed warts after receiving the vaccine. In additional to reports of genital warts, there were 21 reports of girls developing warts on other areas of the body, including face, hands and feet, and in one case, “all over her body.”

read more here -
http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/7308

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:02:27 AM »

Ms Robison: "While each (adverse] reaction is thoroughly investigated, it is also very important to put this figure into the appropriate context. According to initial figures, almost 64,000 girls in school – 92 per cent of those eligible – received their first dose of the HPV vaccine last year. If 150 of these girls experienced adverse events, this would amount to 0.2 per cent of those immunised."

The response has angered campaigners and parents who believe their daughters are experiencing serious side-effects after being vaccinated.

They claim many adverse reactions will not have been reported and that potentially serious side-effects are being downplayed.

Ms Birrell said: "Our Health Minister appears to disregard problems which are occurring within the vaccination programme and without attempting to investigate or show genuine concern for the adverse effects being experienced by some of our young people."

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/MSPs-seek-answers-as-cervical.5408956.jp

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.