June 03, 2024, 08:11:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camille Cleverly 22yr old Missing Provo Utah 8/30/07(BODY FOUND 9/9)  (Read 15463 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: September 04, 2007, 09:58:15 AM »

Sep 3, 2007 9:30 pm US/Mountain

Search Continues For Missing BYU Student
(KUTV) PROVO - Family and friends posted fliers Monday of a 22-year-old Brigham Young University student who has been missing since last week.

Camille Cleverley, 22, was last seen on Aug. 30 at her apartment, which is located just south of the university's main campus.

Download a poster created to help find Camille.

Police were unclear whether Cleverley simply walked away or she was abducted. No amber alert was issued because officials have no indications that a kidnapping occurred. However, a statewide missing persons alert was issued.

Cleverley is 5'5" tall and weighs approximately 130 lbs. She has blonde hair and blue eyes. Family members say the key to finding her may rest with the woman's bicycle -- which is a unique Schwinn mountain bike, colored purple and silver.

Family members say that Cleverley is a very responsible woman and would not voluntarily go away for such a long period of time.

"She is a bright, active spirit that loves life," said Susan Cleverley, Camille's mother. "She was a very organized person and tried to schedule things out, so for her to just pick up... and nobody knows where she is... is just very unlike her."

The family believes it is possible that either Camille was abducted, or she is injured somewhere and can't get home. She also does not have her cell phone.

``We hope that this is an overreaction,'' sister-in-law Staci Cleverley said. ``We want to see her safe, but we have to realize that is not the only option here.''

A search is now focusing on several outdoor locations where Camille rode her bicycle. Police have no solid information that she will be located in any of these search areas.

Cleverley, a senior at BYU, worked at the school's library and often rode her bike to and from campus. Authorities have searched areas near the Provo River Parkway to look for any trace of the student but have so far found nothing.

"It is out of her character to be gone this long," said Capt. Cliff Argyle, of the Provo Police Department. "We are doing everything we can."

Officials have alerted the western United States about Cleverley's disappearance. She is a native of Boise, Idaho and her parents still live there.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Provo Police Department or their local authorities. Call 801-852-7241 or 852-6210

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 08:49:53 PM by klaasend » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 04:59:35 PM »

sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 07:06:19 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

Hopefully the store had a surveillance camera.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:03:03 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »

Just reported on Greta that the store didn't have a working camera that day...but the person using the card bought donuts and orange juice... I don't think that Camille was buying donuts looking at her. 

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:33:25 PM »

Just reported on Greta that the store didn't have a working camera that day...but the person using the card bought donuts and orange juice... I don't think that Camille was buying donuts looking at her. 

Doesn't that just figure Mrs. Red!!!  Mad  They probably have cams going every other day, but the day they need to have a functional one, they don't. 

And I agree with you, somehow that doesn't sound like donuts were be her diet.

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »

It shouldn't be to hard for the person tending the counter in the convenience store recall if it was Camille who bought the juice and donuts. I agree Mrs. Red that it was not likely Camille purchasing those items on Saturday. Someone had her card that shouldn't have.
I wonder if someone in a car ran into her on the road-bumped her bike and under the guise of helping ....abducted her?

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »

Sep 4, 2007 9:57 pm US/Mountain

Information On Wednesday Search For BYU Student

The Destiny Search Project is organizing a massive search for Camille Cleverly to begin at 8 a.m. at Canyon View Park at the mouth of Provo Canyon.

Volunteers can come at any time throughout the day. The search effort will end at 7 p.m..

Organizers ask that you come prepared to search outdoors. They ask that volunteers wear long pants and bring some form of identification.

Children under the age of 18 will be required to provide parent’s permission and volunteers are ask to not bring any children under the age of 12.

Searchers are also asking for donations of food and water as well as office supplies like paper, clipboards and pens.

Anyone with information can call Damon Talbot at 801-759-5102.

http://kutv.com/local/local_story_247235805.html

FoolsGold
Scared Monkey

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 10:48:50 AM »

If only she were off somewhere sleeping a drunk off...

The trouble is that as soon as I saw BYU I knew that there is not going to be a favorable result. This is not a good situation. She is hard working and simply not the type to be off somewhere doing drugs or booze or anything like that!

A library worker? Sure encounters in the stacks or something, but if her bike is missing then most likely she met danger elsewhere. Is a 'car bump' likely? Or was she accosted on a bike trail? I'd 'vote' for a laying in wait on a bike trail as being more likely since there is a place of concealment and shrubbery to do what he wanted to do with her. If it was a vehicle of some sort then most likely it would be a small van into which he could load the bike, his prey and her belongings and get away from a roadway where he might soon be noticed or a cop car might soon wander by and wonder why he is stopped by the side of the road and blocking a bike trail.

Most people know that stores have surveillance cameras so I wonder if his having "lucked out" with a non-functional camera means that he knew it was safe there. If so, is he another employee or a freqent customer? If smart, the cops/family will make a small deposit to the account to keep the card active and able to be used in the hopes that its next use will provide some clues as to identity. Someone who buys donuts and orange juice in the morning might be enroute to a job or he might be without a place to live. Not much of a clue.

Will the bike surface? Is valuable and noticeable. The bike might be in shrubbery or something. I don't know. I think tracing her usual route and seeing who would have noticed her would be a good thing to do. Who would see where she parked the bike and was most vulnerable?

Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:56:34 AM »

John Walsh is now featuring this story.

http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/brief.cfm?id=48336

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:16:49 AM »

People questioned in missing BYU student case

Two people are being detained for questioning in the disappearance of missing BYU student Camille Cleverley.
Officials were reportedly searching for clues at a car wash Wednesday and had blocked off the area.  Also Wednesday, police questioned a man and a woman regarding the case after receiving information that they may have had knowledge of the missing girl.

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=ba71e169-3297-4350-a356-183c3747f084

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »

Missing Brigham Young University Student Probably Used Her Own ATM Card After Disappearance

Thursday, September 06, 2007

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295920,00.html

I don't really know what to think of this right now...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
kissyface
Scared Monkey

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »

Good Lord MuffyBee, me neither.  The good thing about Utah, though, is they will search hard for someone.  I lived in southern Utah for a while and anytime anyone in the entire state has gone missing for more than a day, they are usually right on it.  Hopefully too much time hasn't already passed for them to get some kind of lead on what is going on here.  It's still really hazy to me.  I don't know whether to think she left on her own or what.  {{edit - please keep religion out of it - I happen to have several family members that are Mormon and it's a mistake to make assumptions}}
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:22:39 PM by klaasend » Logged

***Love is stronger than death.***

>>> bring Bri justice<<<
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 04:57:04 PM »

Sep 6, 2007 12:47 pm US/Mountain

2 Questioned, Car Wash Searched In Cleverley Case
(KUTV) PROVO - Authorities are questioning two people in the disappearance of a 22-year-old student from Brigham Young University -- who has been missing for nearly a week.

Late Wednesday, police questioned a man and a woman regarding the disappearance after receiving information that they may have knowledge of the case. However, authorities were not calling them suspects. Both have agreed to take polygraph tests on Thursday morning.

Also, officials are reportedly examining some clues found at The Clean Getaway car wash at 915 S. State Street in Provo. Police searched the drain and a trash bin in a wash bay.

Meanwhile, police said someone used the debit card of Camille Cleverley to purchase doughnuts and energy drinks just one day after she disappeared.

A full-scale volunteer search was launched on Wednesday.

``We don't know what happened to her,'' Provo police Lt. John Guyerman said. ``We haven't any solid tips on sightings. ... Certainly the longer it goes, the more concerned we get.''

Cleverley is a senior at Brigham Young University. Her bike, a purple and silver Schwinn mountain bike, is also missing.

Someone reported seeing her on her bike late Thursday afternoon, and her debit card was used the next day at a store. But police don't know if Cleverley made the purchase because the store did not have surveillance video.

``The clerks are being as helpful as they can but it was several days ago. It's hard to recall whether it was her or not,'' Guyerman said.

A brother, David Cleverley, said it could have been his sister.

``We could see her buying some doughnuts. She likes sweets sometimes,'' he said.

Meanwhile, BYU students, faculty and other volunteers joined the search on foot and on bicycles. Cleverley liked to ride her bike, her only mode of transportation, on the Provo River trail. The new school year started Tuesday.

``There's really thick brush. Fishermen go behind it. It's hidden from public view,'' said David Cleverley, 24, a student at Utah State University in Logan.

Music instructor LeeAnn Morgan fought back tears during a TV interview. Some searchers said they didn't know Cleverley but simply wanted to help on a cool, blustery day in the canyon.

``I figure the weather might hamper some people from coming,'' Ron Parr of Salt Lake City told the Daily Herald of Provo. ``We need to find her.''

Cleverley is white, 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds.

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_248155231.html
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 10:51:47 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:04:12 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 10:52:15 PM »

Police Find Bike Likely Belonging to Missing Brigham Young University Student
Thursday , September 06, 2007

PROVO, Utah  —

Authorities searching for a Brigham Young University student swarmed the banks of the Provo River on Thursday night after two people surrendered a bicycle that likely belonged to the 22-year-old woman.

It was a significant development in the disappearance of Camille Cleverley, who has been missing since Aug. 30.

• Click here to view video.

A dam upstream at Deer Creek Reservoir was closed to lower the depth of the river and check for any evidence of the BYU senior, Provo police Lt. John Guyerman said.

"We don't know if she's here. All we have to go on is a bicycle," he said.

The bike was turned in by two people who snatched it Saturday after finding it unattended on a path near Bridal Veil Falls, Guyerman said. They came forward after hearing about the missing woman.

Cleverley was last seen riding a week ago, about 40 miles south of Salt Lake City. Police were working to confirm that the Schwinn bike was hers.

Cars and pedestrians were turned away from the falls, a popular recreation spot, while officers delivered all-terrain vehicles, canoes and boats to the river Thursday night.

Earlier in the day, Provo police held their first news conference, making a public plea for information about Cleverley and the bicycle.

"We have a daughter, a sister, a friend that is missing," Police Chief Craig Geslison said, choking up. "We have a community that cares. We want to find her."

Hundreds of volunteers, including BYU students and faculty, have been combing Provo Canyon and other rugged areas where Cleverley liked to ride. The new school year began Tuesday.

"You're really in the thick of it up there," Jennene Allen of Lindon told the Daily Herald of Provo while searching with her husband.

Officers inspected a car wash Wednesday night but said it did not produce clues about her whereabouts.

If Cleverley was abducted, brother David Cleverley publicly urged the perpetrator to release her — "if he has sensitivity and humanity."

Before the new school year, the Boise, Idaho, native spent the summer living with the family of her boyfriend, David Sperry, father Dick Sperry said.

"They put him through the mill. They really worked him over," Dick Sperry told The Associated Press, referring to tough questioning during his son's numerous interviews with police.

"But that's their duty. They would do that with any boyfriend," the father said. "But I'm satisfied, knowing the timeline, that he had nothing to do with it. ... He loves this girl."

David Sperry was involved in the search Thursday and unavailable for comment.

Police Capt. Cliff Argyle, who is leading the investigation, said the boyfriend was given a "voice-stress analysis" test and has been cooperative. He declined to discuss the results but said the test is a reliable indication of someone's honesty.

Argyle said no one has been identified as a suspect but "everyone is interesting to us if they had any contact with Camille."

He said eight FBI agents were assisting and police in Boise were watching the Cleverley family's home in case she turns up there. Her parents and other family members have been in Provo participating in the search.

Cleverley's debit card was used Aug. 31, a day after she was last seen, to buy doughnuts and energy drinks at a local store. The store had no surveillance cameras, and police said they didn't know if she or someone else made the purchase.

Cleverley is a blue-eyed blonde, 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296007,00.html
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 11:19:42 PM »

Camille's Bike Possibly Found In Provo Canyon

(KUTV) PROVO - Authorities located a bicycle on Thursday that might belong to missing Brigham Young University student Camille Cleverley.

The silver and purple Schwinn mountain bike was obtained by police -- from thieves who actually stole it from the Bridal Veil Falls area of Provo Canyon on Saturday, Sept. 1. After seeing news coverage of Cleverley's disappearance and the bike description, the thieves came forward and gave the bike to police -- who are now focusing their efforts on the Bridal Veil Falls area.

Although the bike is similar to Cleverley's, authorities have not conclusively identified it as hers. If the bike turns out to be Camille's, officials believe that there may be a good chance she was at Bridal Veil Falls the weekend after she disappeared.
(snipped)

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_248155231.html

ospainter
Monkey Junky

Grandson in Ireland

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »

Good Lord MuffyBee, me neither.  The good thing about Utah, though, is they will search hard for someone.  I lived in southern Utah for a while and anytime anyone in the entire state has gone missing for more than a day, they are usually right on it.  Hopefully too much time hasn't already passed for them to get some kind of lead on what is going on here.  It's still really hazy to me.  I don't know whether to think she left on her own or what.  {{edit - please keep religion out of it - I happen to have several family members that are Mormon and it's a mistake to make assumptions}}.[/b]

I think someone needs to explain to you that SM is here to help the families of missing persons, I fail to see how your remarks about Mormons or Mormon families add anything to the discussion of this missing student. In fact I am shocked it hasn't been removed. Not something the family needs to see if they visit here. This is not a place to spew your ignorance about a person's faith, plain and simple.

No need to elaborate on something you obviously know nothing about IMO. This is not a place for gossip. Oh and I hope I haven't offended you.

OS

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:23:35 PM by klaasend » Logged

It's their lie they can tell it anyway they want.
Who, What, Where, When, How and Why
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »

Good Lord MuffyBee, me neither.  The good thing about Utah, though, is they will search hard for someone.  I lived in southern Utah for a while and anytime anyone in the entire state has gone missing for more than a day, they are usually right on it.  Hopefully too much time hasn't already passed for them to get some kind of lead on what is going on here.  It's still really hazy to me.  I don't know whether to think she left on her own or what.  {{edit - please keep religion out of it - I happen to have several family members that are Mormon and it's a mistake to make assumptions}}.[/b]

I think someone needs to explain to you that SM is here to help the families of missing persons, I fail to see how your remarks about Mormons or Mormon families add anything to the discussion of this missing student. In fact I am shocked it hasn't been removed. Not something the family needs to see if they visit here. This is not a place to spew your ignorance about a person's faith, plain and simple.

No need to elaborate on something you obviously know nothing about IMO. This is not a place for gossip. Oh and I hope I haven't offended you.

OS

ospainter,

I think you may be the one out of line here. Is it kissyface's use of the term "secrets"? Would it have been better if she had used "protective or defensive"?

I lived in  the small Mormon community of St. Joseph City, AZ for 3 years in the mid 60's. And back then I also thought they were quite "secretive". Later I realized through many misconceptions and generalizations that their aloofness to outsiders was a built in protection mechanism obtained thought years of adversity.

By the way St. Joesph City back then had a population of 648  of which 8 (3 families) were non-Mormon.   

Edit:  It's wrong to question the family because of their religion, IMO.  Keeping secrets or being protective or defensive is not limitied to the Mormon religion.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:27:21 PM by klaasend » Logged

kissyface
Scared Monkey

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 01:32:03 PM »

Os, I am not gossipping and I am not spewing ignorance.  I am simply stating what my experience has been.  I bring up the point because sometimes families know things about someone that the general public does not and sometimes they keep it hidden to not embarrass the victim or the family itself.  (Mormons are generally proud people and have certain social standings, not just religious ones, in and out of the church that can be adversely affected by controversy). I am sorry you took my comment as offensive but I will not apologize for my post, and you don't offend me.  It takes a person with real intelligence to come up with something more than what you wrote to even slightly irritate or offend me.  I am simply open to the possibility that the family might know something about her that we don't.  Maybe not.  There is always the possibilty and more and more often we are finding victims who have been hurt by family members. 

To Sled, thank you for understanding my experience.  I am not trying to ridicule or denigrate any religion or faith.  I am a very open minded individual who has had many experiences with many different cultures and religions and I respect each one. 

>>> bring Bri justice<<<
kissyface
Scared Monkey

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »

Wow, make one comment or give a different idea here and you get attacked.  I thought this place was to help.  I am just trying to introduce another possibility. 

>>> bring Bri justice<<<
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.