June 16, 2024, 06:09:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help we have Snakes ??? Can you identify this critter?  (Read 28086 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »

Well Ladies it isn't just women that do not care for snakes  we always had them on the farm but the corn crib is the only place that the were welcome to live Killed Rats .
  But then I would see them I'd run like a thin man until I was a safe distance away .
   Just a small side note  I'd be willing to pay a Hundred Dollars to see CBB run right out of her clothes . LOL  can see me sittin there with a glass of Iced Tea  waiten for the show to start .
   sorry Ladies it is just one of those days  hehehe  Naughty Laugh .

You'd have had to look real quick, Jerry. Slow Motion would have only been a blur! 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »

I live in the middle of the woods, and we have a lot of black rat snakes around our house. Most of them scurry away when they see us or the doggies, but we had one that was determined to live inside our house. It kept getting into either the basement or the garage. It was about 5 feet long (as long as I'm tall - eek!), and it really kept the dogs upset. The dogs are both small terriers, and one day they had it trapped against the foundation of the house, and it was striking at them. Well, hubby decided it was time to get out the shotgun and end the drama. The problem was that it was coiled up right against the foundation. Sooooo....he made me get one of those long poles with the curved metal end on it and pull the thing away from the house so that he could aim at it. I wish I had a video of 5 ft tall me pulling a 5 ft long snake TOWARD me. OMG! Looking back now I don't know how I managed it. It worked, though, and Mr. Snake is long gone

That's what you think, LOL 

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »

our Klaas is back 

WAY too funny, you need to put son's name in there instead of mine. He arrived home late today, thought he would just handle this snake for mom - well Blackie charged him.

They cannot say white men can't jump for son jumped so high in the air and the snake slid under and out 

San is making me laugh now telling her the story but at the time, it wasn't funny !

Where's a mongoose when you need one 

Long time no see

Snakes   

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 05:50:46 PM »

Kimmy, your pup is an inspiration !!!!!!!!! I hope she got lots and lots of treats after such a brave rescue !!!! I hope Red has it in him, he does get very very upset when Blackie heads over the hill, I just worry the snake might get a bite off since Red is only a 45 pound dog.

CBB - you've defined my worst fear, me cornered with a snake in the house or worse, the snake cornering one of the cats ! I do not blame you one bit for calling hubby for if only Rick were here, I'd have never had to worry like this !! Son is trying but of course, Blackie has been hiding today - she must be afraid of bad hair days? Son has to leave late Sunday, if he does not get this snake by then, well then I'll have to rely on the fence man or call one of the snake handlers OldFart found for me !!

CBB, Good to see you still draw a male audience quickly though 

BT - Rat snakes are longer and fatter, I don't know how you did it, tell hubby you're not the pioneer woman !! 

Sharon - I am home for the first time since February..........and finally unpacking the tons of boxes still in my garage. Son is going to mow my lawn shortly but I suspect Blackie won't come out to shake hands with the mower - if only !!!

I continue to stand with the girl.
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »

I live in the middle of the woods, and we have a lot of black rat snakes around our house. Most of them scurry away when they see us or the doggies, but we had one that was determined to live inside our house. It kept getting into either the basement or the garage. It was about 5 feet long (as long as I'm tall - eek!), and it really kept the dogs upset. The dogs are both small terriers, and one day they had it trapped against the foundation of the house, and it was striking at them. Well, hubby decided it was time to get out the shotgun and end the drama. The problem was that it was coiled up right against the foundation. Sooooo....he made me get one of those long poles with the curved metal end on it and pull the thing away from the house so that he could aim at it. I wish I had a video of 5 ft tall me pulling a 5 ft long snake TOWARD me. OMG! Looking back now I don't know how I managed it. It worked, though, and Mr. Snake is long gone

That's what you think, LOL 

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Stand With The Girl
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »

I think I would die of fright if a snake was banging against my door!
Nonesy....I'm so sorry this is happening to you in your new home!
I am not really afraid of much, since I've been a single Mom for 13 years and raised 3 kids alone. I do not scare easily. But snakes.......OH MY! If I saw one in my house, I think I would run away and never come back. I stopped being friends with a guy years ago because he had a pet snake. I couldn't go to his house without feeling terrified of that thing.

I have a friend who was canoeing on the Tennessee River a few summers ago, and a water mocassin climbed in their canoe as they were paddling along. Her friend managed to flip it back into the water somehow with his oar. I have heard other people around here say that they have had similar experiences with the mocs in the river if they're in a small boat that rides low in the water. Needless to say, I am not interested in boating on that river EVER in this lifetime.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »

pdh - wouldn't you know since son had his encounter with Blackie, she's been hiding out?

arrrghhhh  he's heading out to finish the mowing before the rain starts again but golly, I was so hoping he could get rid of that snake !

Rick had that same thing happen with a moccasin dropping from a tree into his boat, his friend who was fishing with him never saw it land behind him, Rick said he was terrified for him and just started using the end of his fishing pole to nail the moccasin to the boat floor. Scarey scarey stuff........we live near the Haw River here now, we wanted to go take some photos but now.........nope, we have snakey phobia 

Back in the day when I was very young and took swimming lessons, our town had no pool for that until we moved into the big city, so we took our lessons in the Neuse River. I will never, ever forget being about 6 years old and walking up to the river edge with my mom for my lesson, and a big old dead water moccasin was hanging from one of the pier posts. Someone had killed it and left it 

This was me  I did not get into the water that day 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »

I just generally try to avoid any place that I KNOW snakes like. I can't even go into the snake house at the zoo without feeling my skin crawl. 
I grew up in Birmingham, and we had no snakes in my city yard, but there were some at my grandparent's farm out in the country. I was always afraid I'd see one in their strawberry patch, or in the barn, especially after my Dad had that close encounter with a rattlesnake.

Maybe Blackie decided the welcome mat wasn't out, and it took off for another yard that was more fun. I sure hope so! If you see it again, can you call someone to come and get rid of it for you?
Just the thought of that snake banging on your door gives me the heebs!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 01:26:26 AM »

After reading everyone's snake stories, I just realized I don't have one.  I hope that doesn't mean my story is yet to come!!!    Shocked

...unless we count the ex, but I digress...

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 07:51:36 AM »

Black Racers will chase you and it is way scary when they do.
They chase with that head up in the air and they go really fast.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 08:21:54 AM »

Bearlythere 

Magnolia - thank you, it is scary for they look like a cobra but just skinny and staring right at you while they charge you. It's sunny today so we're going to lie in wait for Blackie, in the hope son can catch it. We treated the yard for ticks and fleas ten days ago but that's not working either, so back to the drawing board for that too. I found this online and have to wonder if it truly works? http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/ticks.html

The fence guy starts this Wednesday, just when I've learned I may be going overseas but hopefully the activity of the fence going up will encourage any snakes to move their nesting ground?

I've decided our grand plans to leave the big city and move to the smaller city is a bigger challenge than I thought !

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »

Oh, None, I hate to tell you this, but it can get to be 5 feet long.  Shocked

http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/snake_details.cfm?snake_number=2&option=

Common Name:
Black Racer

Species Name:
Coluber constrictor

Non-poisonous

Appearance:

Slender & long. Adults typically 36 to 60" in length. Satiny black color. White chin & throat. Similar snakes are the black rat, which has keeled scales on back and black kingsnake which is more glossy, has more scale rows, and has a heavier body

Notes:

Eats rodents, small birds, lizards, snakes, frogs, insects.
Young 'ens

I believe in miracles!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 10:49:25 AM »

I've been reading along here, and have to say that I also frightened by any form of snake.  We're in a rural area loaded with lakes, streams & wooded areas.  I know they are around, but do not want to see them.  We had neighbors on the end of the road who claimed to have had copperheads in their yard.  The only ones we've seen in 30 plus years are garter snakes & black snakes, but none in recent years.  We had a cat many years ago that used to catch the babies, remove their heads and leave them on the sidewalk.  I'm hopeful that our two cats and the dog keep them away....haven't had any presents left on the walk in some time...just an occasional mouse.  Phew...

My FIL, now deceased, used to live about a mile from us.  The house was secluded high up on a rock hill backed by woodlands.  He had all kinds of wildlife there, including a black snake that he considered a friend.  AACCCK....we would be sitting out in the yard and FIL would say, there's my friend 'blackie'....his head would pop out from a rock garden.   

Also have spoken to a few people over the years who told me that they found a snake in their basement....just recently, when I go down to do my laundry, the thought has crossed my mind....I'd have a coronary if I encountered one down there.   

Nonesuche, I hope you can get rid of this nuisance.  Our latest problem, here, is a mother bear with 5 cubs.  DH just called from work and asked if I had looked out the window this morning.  There was evidence that they'd been in our fenced in yard....got two bird feeders and into a trash can by our grill.  It's the 2nd time already this spring, and it will be a long summer...for sure. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »

Oh my gosh BEARS??  get the camera!  How do they get over the fence??

We had a rattlesnake in our backyard last summer.  Very frightening, and no we didn't catch it.  I was told by the 'snake catcher' it "probably" left the yard.  With 3 small dogs, one "I won't go outside with it there" husband, and an unbrave me, it was a tense 2 months until we had checked every bush, ground covering, and closed with mesh wiring any possible opening.  We are 1/2 mile from the desert on one side, and a quarter mile on the otherside.  I know they are out there.  It was the first time since 1991 and living in AZ that I have ever seen a snake.  This one was rattling and ready to strike when my 12 lb. Bichon found it right off our patio at 9PM one night. I wouldn't have know it was there except I heard its rattle going.  so scary...

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »

Looks like that's Mr. Blackie to us.

From the same site as above:

When people encounter a snake, they often corner it. Then the snake will hiss loudly, open its mouth in a threatening manner, coil up, and strike at the individual-or bluff by advancing toward the intruder. These behaviors, designed to scare off the intruder, lead to a common misconception that snakes charge or attack people. In most cases, a snake reacts only if it feels threatened. Usually it crawls away if it can reach cover safely. One exception is the male black racer, which may chase after larger animals, including humans, when it is defending its breeding territory.

I believe in miracles!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »

NJSons_Mom - glad to know I'm not the only one with the phobia, snakes are just scary period. I'm not scared by much except my family or loved ones being hurt or sick - and snakes. I killed a brown recluse spider that showed up in my house yesterday morning, no problem - but snakes? arrrghhhhh........it makes me nauseous

AZSunny - we have to email, I have something to tell you ! I cannot imagine what I would have done, had I found a rattler. I'm already planning to pound wire mesh into the ground around my fence, once it goes up next week. Yesterday son and I found Blackie next to the deck again, head up and tongue slithering out at us. He ran to get the hoe, I had Red our dog on the leash and sure enough, even with Red within two feet of Blackie, Blackie didn't back down. My fear is that Red will be bitten, it might not be poisonous but black racers do have nasty bites. Well Blackie sensed son returning with the hoe and sure enough, off he went into the underbrush in the lot next door. I pray you don't have that rattler or any other coming back, you do live in fear and once I start traveling again - I know all I will do is worry more about daughter and Red.

Bearlythere- I think this is a breeding ground too, there is debris (downed trees, etc) at the edge of the lot next door plus tall grass and that big rock culvert with the drainage ditch. Plus a small pond 250 yds away with plenty of frogs, all the requirements for a snug snake habitat. My upstairs air conditioning unit wasn't working, guy came to repair it from the company that installed it on Friday, he did at least confirm there are no snakes under the house - and that all of the openings/vents are covered with wire mesh. The builder put down pine straw under my deck too, I'm going to rake it out now to see if there is any breeding signs. They don't really begin to breed until June and July, so I figure I have a little quick time to rake out the straw, see if anything is there, then put up wire mesh and then lattice around the deck.

Some vacation from travel I am having 

AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2008, 10:26:53 AM »

None, you have mail at aol address...Have you thought about making the snake a cuppie cake?   

AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »

oh oh, mail was returned.  guess that address is no longer working.  try my azsunny 05 at yahoo and see if that will go through. 

Hugs.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »

oh AZ, with work today I only now saw this - I'll shoot you an email !

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »

Snakes and Spiders and Bears.  Oh my...

2NJ  I would have an AED device put in my laundry room.

I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.