June 01, 2024, 02:10:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brittany Smith, 12 yr. old Virginia girl, kidnapped (FOUND SAFE!)  (Read 188125 times)
bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #660 on: December 18, 2010, 03:01:06 AM »

Appreciate the update SusieQ

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me."
sassifrass
Monkey Junky

Where are you Kyron?

« Reply #661 on: December 21, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »

http://articles.dailypress.com/2010-12-20/news/ro-brittany-welcomed-home-1220-20101220101220_1_safe-return-prayers-abduction

Brittany Smith welcomed home after abduction
December 20, 2010|By The Roanoke Times

Brittany Smith appeared at a gathering to welcome her back to her hometown of South Boston on Sunday evening, after being largely sequestered with family since she was found in San Francisco on Dec. 10 with her accused abductor, Jeffrey Easley.

The 12-year-old emerged publicly Saturday in South Boston for a memorial service for her slain mother, Tina Smith.

On Sunday evening, she sat with her father, Benjamin Smith, on the stage at a public amphitheater during speeches and a gospel music performance. She chewed gum, sipped hot chocolate, held a lighted candle, smiled easily and often, and occasionally waved to people in the crowd of about 50 gathered at Constitution Square.

At the end of the celebration, she stepped up to a microphone and spoke quietly.

"I just wanted to thank everybody for all their prayers," she said. The crowd erupted in cheers of "Welcome home, Brittany!"

That was a message many in the town where Brittany lived before moving to Roanoke County with her mother had waited to deliver since word of her mother's slaying and Brittany's disappearance first spread almost two weeks ago.

Sunday's event was originally conceived as a vigil for people to pray for Brittany's safe return, said organizer Lisa Wallace. Once Brittany was found, it was changed to an event to celebrate her safe return.

Those who came were invited to make "love offerings" of cards or money.

"Whatever she has coming ahead of her, she has love and support," Wallace said.

It was an event both joyful and mournful, with careful remembrance of Brittany's mother.

Tina Smith was found slain at her Roanoke County home Dec. 6. Easley, 32, her boyfriend, is a suspect in her death. He's charged with abducting Brittany.

But most of the emphasis was on the power of prayer in Brittany's safe return.

Christy Watts, a family friend, said that while Brittany was missing, people constantly asked what they could do to help.

"My answer each time was, 'pray,' " Watts said. "Our prayers worked. Our hometown girl was found."

Speakers also gave copious thanks to the numerous police agencies, the news media, and especially Theresa Shanley, the woman who recognized Brittany outside a Safeway grocery store in San Francisco and notified police.

We should all be more like that, Wallace said.

"Let's think about all those children out there and not being found," said Raymond Wooten, pastor of Black Walnut Baptist Church. He asked people to pray for them.

Wooten had a prayer for Easley, too. The role of those around Brittany is to forgive, he said. "But vengeance is yours," he said to God. "Deal with him as you see fit."

After the event ended, Brittany lingered, exchanging hugs with many of those who came.

Seeing her in person was a comfort.

Lynn Carr, herself a mother of a 12-year-old daughter, said she was "kind of consumed with the story," so she felt compelled to come to the celebration. "You just never thought you'd see her sitting up on that stage," she said.

Patricia Rice came to show her support with her own children in mind, too.

"There's something to be said about a small town," Rice said. "Everybody knows your business, but at least they're there for you when you need them."

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." ~ Dalai Lama
Lucky777
Scared Monkey

« Reply #662 on: December 21, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »

The only problem I have is smiled easily and often.  I have a friend that lost her mother at 13 in a car accident.  I didn't see her smile for months.  I only saw tears.  I am trying not to judge her though, but I would think she would be in morning - I mean she lost a brother and a mother.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #663 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:22 PM »

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-jeffrey-scott-easley-off-suici-122010,0,6683645.story

Jeffrey Scott Easley off suicide watch
He's been downgraded to "special" watch at Western Virginia Regional Jail

Chris Hurst

Reporter

5:51 PM EST, December 20, 2010

ROANOKE, Va.
Advertisement

The man accused of abducting 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith has been taken off suicide watch while he sits in a jail cell.

On Saturday, jail officials at Western Virginia Regional Jail placed Jeffrey Scott Easley, 32, on "special" watch; the only difference being he no longer has to wear a suicide-preventing smock. The smock is tear resistant to prevent an inmate from using scraps of their clothes to form a noose.

He is charged with abducting Smith as well as credit card fraud for using Tina Smith's credit cards at the Salem Wal*Mart on December 3rd.

He is listed as the prime suspect in her murder, but has not been charged with murder by the Commonwealth's Attorney.

When reached by NEWS 7, Randy Leach said he has no timetable of when charges might be filed in that case.
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #664 on: January 02, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »

Holidays are over!  I hope we get down to the whys and what fors soon!
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #665 on: January 03, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »

http://www.gazettevirginian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2234:preliminary-hearing-set-in-february&catid=34:news&Itemid=54

Preliminary hearing set in February 
Written by Staff     

Jeffrey Scott Easley was arraigned Friday on a charge of abducting 12-year-old former South Boston resident Brittany Mae Smith, according to Roanoke County Public Information Director Teresa Hamilton Hall.

The arraignment took place in Roanoke County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Roanoke County Commonwealth’s Attorney Randy Leach will proscute the case and was in court for the arraignment.

During the brief court appearance, Easley requested a court appointed attorney, Hall said.

After an exchange of financial information, Judge Philip Trompeter granted Easley’s request.

Thomas Roe Jr. will serve as Easley’s court appointed counsel, Hall said. Roe was in court with Easley for the hearing.

Easley is scheduled to return to court in February for a preliminary hearing.

Judge Trompeter set a preliminary hearing date on the abduction charge for Feb. 8 at 10 a.m. in Roanoke County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, Hall said.

Easley faces a felony abduction charge in Roanoke County for abducting the 12-year-old and fleeing with her to San Francisco.

He also faces felony counts of attempted credit card fraud and credit card larceny in the City of Roanoke for using Smith’s mother’s credit card in a Salem Walmart.

Tina Smith, Brittany’s mother, was found dead in her Fort Lewis home on Dec. 6.

Roanoke County Police continue to actively investigate the death of the 41-year-old former South Boston resident.

Although Easley has not been charged in connection with the death, authorities say they consider him a suspect in Smith’s murder.

2 4 1
cecilita
Monkey Junky

« Reply #666 on: January 08, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »

I imagine Brittany is in Therapy for the horrible experience to see her mother being killed by this monster
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #667 on: January 10, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »

I imagine Brittany is in Therapy for the horrible experience to see her mother being killed by this monster
Cecilita, I sure hope so.  Life is such a challenge for young people today -- this is so horrific!

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #668 on: January 21, 2011, 04:14:16 PM »

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/273601

Facebook to assist states in finding missing kids

Pointing to the Amber Alert issued for Brittany Smith as an example of how information on Facebook reaches thousands, the social media website said Wednesday it was joining law enforcement agencies in the search for missing children.

Facebook has created pages for each state to post Amber Alerts, officials said during a news conference at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children offices in Alexandria. Facebook users who "like" the Amber Alert pages will receive information on missing children in their news feed.

Virginia State Police Superintendent Steve Flaherty said the agency's Facebook postings about 12-year-old Brittany reached thousands of people.

"Instantly, we notified our 24,000-plus fans. That message went to them with a click of a button," Flaherty said.

Brittany, of Roanoke County, was found safe in San Francisco with her slain mother's boyfriend, Jeffrey Easley, a week after the girl's Dec. 3 disappearance. The pair were spotted by a woman who had seen their pictures on a television news program.

Easley is being held at the Western Virginia Regional Jail without bond awaiting a Feb. 8 preliminary hearing on an abduction charge. No one has been charged in the killing of Brittany's mother, Tina Smith.

"I'm confident that Roanoke County wouldn't have had nearly as many leads that helped them in this case had it not been for the sharing of this information among Facebook fans," Flaherty said.

-- Amanda Codispoti

2 4 1
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #669 on: January 30, 2011, 05:56:48 AM »

Thank you for the updates SuzieQ.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #670 on: February 07, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/275356
Easley: Brittany Smith rode along voluntarily
In a letter from jail, the man accused of abducting Brittany Smith said he'd promised not to leave her behind.
By Amanda Codispoti  Saturday, January 29, 2011

Accused abductor Jeffrey Easley said in a letter from jail that 12-year-old Brittany Smith was his willing cross-country travelling companion.

"I did not kidnapp her or take her aginest her will," Easley, 32, wrote in a letter postmarked Thursday from the Western Virginia Regional Jail. "She made me promise not to leave her."

The one-page letter, hand-printed on lined notebook paper, contains misspellings and lacks punctuation. It doesn't mention the slaying of Tina Smith, 41, who was Easley's girlfriend and Brittany's mother.

"I want the truth out there not all these storys," Easley writes.

It continues: "I made a promise to britt in front of her mom back in july

"i promised never to leave her behind and always to protect her. that what I did."

Tina Smith was found slain at her western Roanoke County home Dec. 6, the same day police discovered that Easley, Brittany and Smith's Dodge Neon were missing. Police found the pair a week later, camping in downtown San Francisco.

Easley was charged with abducting Brittany. Police have called him a suspect in Smith's killing, but no one has been charged.
Read more here.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/275356

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #671 on: February 08, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/V/VA_MISSING_GIRL_VIRGINIA_VAOL-?SITE=VASTR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=default-template.html

Feb 8, 11:58 AM EST

Va abduction case sent to grand jury

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) -- The case against a man accused of abducting his slain girlfriend's 12-year-old daughter is going to a Roanoke County grand jury.

Roanoke County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Judge Philip Trompeter found probable cause Tuesday to certify the abduction charge against Jeffrey Easley to the grand jury. The Roanoke Times reports that the grand jury is scheduled to meet April 1.

::snipping2::

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #672 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/276353

Brittany Smith update: Easley's abduction charge advances to grand jury
Tuesday morning's testimony included descriptions of Tina Smith's body and a protective order against Brittany Smith's father.

A grand jury will hear felony abduction charges against Jeffrey Easley after a judge found probable cause to advance the case Tuesday morning.

Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Judge Philip Trompeter also refused to grant Easley bond, meaning he will remain in jail.

Easley, 32, is charged in the December abduction of 12-year-old Brittany Smith. Brittany's mother, Tina Smith, was found dead in her home on Dec. 6. Brittany Smith and Easley, who lived with the family, were missing.

After a nationwide Amber Alert, the two were found panhandling outside a San Francisco supermarket on Dec. 10. In the meantime, surveillance video from the Salem Walmart store showed the two leaving with a tent and sleeping bags on Dec. 3.

Brittany Smith did not testify during the 30-minute preliminary hearing.

Brittany's father testifies about protective order

Brittany Smith's father, Ben Smith, testified that he had joint custody of his daughter and that he had not given permission for Easley to take his daughter anywhere.

Defense Attorney Tom Roe, however, asked Ben Smith if there had been a protective order issued against him last year prohibiting him from having contact with Brittany. "Yes," he said.

The protective order had been lifted by the time of his daughter's disappearance, he said. "I could have contact with her at that time."

Ben Smith also said he had been placed on administrative leave from his job as a police officer in South Boston for a period before Dec. 3. He did not explain why.

2 4 1
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »

SuzieQ and Trimm, thank you for the updates.  Can't put my finger on it, but I don't think this case is as simple as it appears. IMO

Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #674 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »

Hmmmf...interesting snippet...

Updated article from February 9, 2011

https://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/276405

Snipped:
In a brief distraction during the proceedings, Easley's mother, Sally Martin, left the courtroom to confront a deputy who had admonished her at least twice to stop talking.

In a raised voice clearly audible in court, she could be heard repeatedly asking, "Why are you doing this to me?" She did not return to the courtroom.

Martin, clearly upset, said later that she hadn't been talking, but the deputy kept motioning to her to be quiet.

"A word never came out of my mouth," she said. "Not a whisper.

"It made me sick to my stomach," she said. "I just couldn't believe how he was doing me."

Roanoke County Sheriff's Office Capt. Barry Tayloe said the deputy was standing several feet from Martin and heard her talk twice.

When she confronted the deputy outside the courtroom, he asked her to leave the building, Tayloe said.

melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #675 on: March 12, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »

I'll be the first to apologize if wrong but I still think this little girl was in on her Mom being murdered.  Or at least with the idea of Mom having something done with her so she could continue a relationship with him.  We all saw the pics (FB, MyS?)of her being very chummy with him and all the "ILY's".  Sad, sad situation all the way around.  This little girls life will never ever be right no matter how she tries.  If totally innocent in this then I hope she gets all the help available to her.  Would love to hear what she is saying about all this.  I personally would be afraid to be in the same home with her.
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #676 on: March 12, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »

http://www.gazettevirginian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2521:abduction-case-goes-to-grand-jury&catid=34:news&Itemid=54

Snip:
During cross examination, Easley’s court-appointed attorney, Thomas W. Roe Jr., asked Brittany’s father if he was on administrative leave from the South Boston Police Department when Tina Smith was last seen alive, Dec. 3.

He also asked if there had been a protective order in place prohibiting her father from having contact with Brittany.

Ben Smith answered yes to both questions but said the protective order had been lifted.

Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #677 on: March 12, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »

Here's another way of reading it, and boy does it look interesting ...
http://ourvalley.org/charges-of-abducting-12-year-old-certified-to-grand-jury/

Snipped:
During cross examination, Easley’s court-appointed attorney Thomas W. Roe Jr. asked Ben Smith if he was on administrative leave from the South Boston Police Department when Tina Smith was last seen alive, Dec. 3. He also asked if there had been a protective order in place prohibiting her father from having contact with Brittany. Ben Smith answered yes to both, but said the protective order had been lifted by that time.
Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #678 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »

This is a nice picture of Brittany (with her father Ben) smiling at Tina's memorial service. She sure does look more like a young girl here, rather than being all made up and in tight fitting clothes. She appears cute, fresh, innocent.

Titch
Monkey Junky

« Reply #679 on: March 12, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »

I'll be the first to apologize if wrong but I still think this little girl was in on her Mom being murdered.  Or at least with the idea of Mom having something done with her so she could continue a relationship with him.  We all saw the pics (FB, MyS?)of her being very chummy with him and all the "ILY's".  Sad, sad situation all the way around.  This little girls life will never ever be right no matter how she tries.  If totally innocent in this then I hope she gets all the help available to her.  Would love to hear what she is saying about all this.  I personally would be afraid to be in the same home with her.

I agree. I know what the law in VA says about the age of consent, etc, but all across America, virgins are scarce by the time girls reach the ripe ole age of 15. They're getting younger and younger. Hope it's not the case here, and I feel bad even typing that out, but we see over and over and over again the murderers can be young kids. Seems like alot was built up between she and her mother. If there was a no contact order against Ben, and Ben's a cop remember, then Tina sure did Brittany no favors by meeting somebody on MySpace and inviting him into their home and into her daughter's life. I understand she's a victim (tina that is), but her track record speaks for itself. I do honestly wonder if her daughter aided & abetted. For some reason I don't think Easley lied. I do think Brittany went willingly, probably begged him to take her. Her MySpace & Facebook accounts show it all.

Of course I still think Easley's slime. He's guilty plain & simple bc he shouldn't have been carrying on with Brittany. But still... I just don't think Brittany's as innocent as her family is making her out to be. Nope...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.