May 31, 2024, 08:09:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haleigh Marie Cummings #36 5/04/10 - 5/24/10  (Read 387031 times)
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #480 on: May 08, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »

Our entire system needs to be overhauled.  It what strikes me badly.   Someone receiving food assistance should not receive more assistance if they have more kids.   They should be forced to not have more kids.   They should not be rewarded with more money from state funded programs. 

I have known friends that needed the state funded programs when they were getting a divorce.   And yet they were declined.   State funded assistance needs to be completely overhauled. 

Tell me one other country that rewards parents to have more kids?  And then I can relax knowing USA is not the only one who is ignorant when it comes to assistance.

An example of our justice system.....   If one were to put razor blades behind their car stereo to prevent theft, they would get sued if the thief cut themselves on it.   Just makes no sense that the people breaking the law has more rights than the victims. 

vent over.

I totally agree, MWC!!  Thanks for your vent! 

Some states are on to these peeps, only allowing state assistance for the one/s they have, but refusing further asst. if they have more.  Would be good if they'd make that a federal thing, across the board for each state. 

The example you gave re preventing theft, yesssssss the criminal gets more rights than the victim!  It's a sad age in these united states........ Even those who 'would/could' stop to help someone, has to worry that they might get turned on and sued.  Could be why many just pass on by, only then to have folks wonder why, how they could, etc.   

I remember 46 years ago, a neighbor of ours had a 'peeping tom'.  They bought a gun to protect themselves and LE told them that if they ever had to use it, to be sure the body was completely inside the house before calling 911, or they'd be prosecuted.  

BBM - In Michigan we have a castle law - which means that I do not need to drag the body in - just be in fear of someone entering my home and either stealing or hurting me or mine. Which is a good thing - I DO NOT want blood all over my floor - messy to clean up!  Monkey Devil!

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #481 on: May 08, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »

"But of course, we didn`t find anything." snipped.
Duh, why of course.
Do either GGS or TN OWN any property ? Like where Haleigh could be buried ?

Am thinking that GGS does, and if I were LE, would be digging up every inch of that property! 

And yet..... if Haleigh is buried on her property, why would she make a mad dash down to the river like that?  Well, maybe in the hopes of finding any 'other evidence' just tossed out there?  Evidence that likely could eventually point back to either of them or Ron, and then lead to Haleigh? 

I've thought and thought about this.. what would take me, the grandma, running like a bat out of he77, into snake and bug invested woods, next to a gator invested river, knowing that the very next morning LE would be there?  Evidence I wouldn't want them to find.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Cuz if it were due to any other reason, I'd gratefully leave whatever findings to LE.  Mixed feelings to be sure, but happy to leave the bugs, snakes, n gators to them. 

ITA Wyks. If it were just the one time and they didn't know any better I could be more forgiving. But GGMS had all ready been told at the Mondex to leave. They were well aware that LE did not want anyone at a search site due to risk of contaminating evidence, if any were found. By her own admission, thx to Granny Flo, AS & TN searched that afternoon, and returned the next morning only to be turned away by LE once again.

Two points I'd like to make after reading up to here are:

• We do not know for certain who was with Great Grandma Sykes when she visited 202 Green Lane the evening Haleigh went missing to deliver laundry. It could have been Teresa, but I don't believe that was ever confirmed in any way.
  • Teresa Neves is afraid of snakes. Remember her calling Cobra and them going on that wild goose chase in the woods, (looking for some hog pens or something) and Teresa disappearing, leaving Cobra out there virtually lost? She said she had seen a snake and run out of there.

So, I believe as many of you, that for Teresa and Great Grandma Sykes to have gone to the Shell Harbour area the day before LE turned it into a crime scene, is very telling of how desperate they are to hide something.

Sorry, but I tend to disagree.  If it was my child or my grandchild and I was  informed  that they were draining a pond or searching a river bed  for the body, I cannot say for sure, but I believe if at all possible I would want to be there, especially if I have not been kept in the know by LE of what is going on with the case.

Sykes and Neves both have complained that LE have told them nothing, have even cursed at Neves when she has questioned LE, etc.

Fifteen months have passed, where is HaLeigh?  The Mondex search provided nada although it was reported that something was found there.  It has been 2 or 3 weeks since the search at Shell Harbour, and all kinds of different stories and rumors.  Where is HaLeigh?

I seriously doubt that HaLeigh is buried on any of GGS' property, but if she is, I seriously doubt that GGS is aware of it?

Where is HaLeigh Ann Marie Cummings???

And does anyone have a link to the posting above that GGS and TN was at Shell Harbour the evening prior to the beginning of the search?  I thought that Flo called GGS the morning of the search and informed them of what was transpiring.

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #482 on: May 08, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

"But of course, we didn`t find anything." snipped.
Duh, why of course.
Do either GGS or TN OWN any property ? Like where Haleigh could be buried ?

Am thinking that GGS does, and if I were LE, would be digging up every inch of that property! 

And yet..... if Haleigh is buried on her property, why would she make a mad dash down to the river like that?  Well, maybe in the hopes of finding any 'other evidence' just tossed out there?  Evidence that likely could eventually point back to either of them or Ron, and then lead to Haleigh? 

I've thought and thought about this.. what would take me, the grandma, running like a bat out of he77, into snake and bug invested woods, next to a gator invested river, knowing that the very next morning LE would be there?  Evidence I wouldn't want them to find.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Cuz if it were due to any other reason, I'd gratefully leave whatever findings to LE.  Mixed feelings to be sure, but happy to leave the bugs, snakes, n gators to them. 

ITA Wyks. If it were just the one time and they didn't know any better I could be more forgiving. But GGMS had all ready been told at the Mondex to leave. They were well aware that LE did not want anyone at a search site due to risk of contaminating evidence, if any were found. By her own admission, thx to Granny Flo, AS & TN searched that afternoon, and returned the next morning only to be turned away by LE once again.

Two points I'd like to make after reading up to here are:

• We do not know for certain who was with Great Grandma Sykes when she visited 202 Green Lane the evening Haleigh went missing to deliver laundry. It could have been Teresa, but I don't believe that was ever confirmed in any way.
  • Teresa Neves is afraid of snakes. Remember her calling Cobra and them going on that wild goose chase in the woods, (looking for some hog pens or something) and Teresa disappearing, leaving Cobra out there virtually lost? She said she had seen a snake and run out of there.

So, I believe as many of you, that for Teresa and Great Grandma Sykes to have gone to the Shell Harbour area the day before LE turned it into a crime scene, is very telling of how desperate they are to hide something.

Sorry, but I tend to disagree.  If it was my child or my grandchild and I was  informed  that they were draining a pond or searching a river bed  for the body, I cannot say for sure, but I believe if at all possible I would want to be there, especially if I have not been kept in the know by LE of what is going on with the case.

Sykes and Neves both have complained that LE have told them nothing, have even cursed at Neves when she has questioned LE, etc.

Fifteen months have passed, where is HaLeigh?  The Mondex search provided nada although it was reported that something was found there.  It has been 2 or 3 weeks since the search at Shell Harbour, and all kinds of different stories and rumors.  Where is HaLeigh?

I seriously doubt that HaLeigh is buried on any of GGS' property, but if she is, I seriously doubt that GGS is aware of it?

Where is HaLeigh Ann Marie Cummings???

And does anyone have a link to the posting above that GGS and TN was at Shell Harbour the evening prior to the beginning of the search?  I thought that Flo called GGS the morning of the search and informed them of what was transpiring.
GRACE: Ms. Sykes, what do you think of them searching -- the police searching the St. John`s River?

SYKES: Well, evidently, they had some tip. Somebody called them. And they were down there searching. And I went down there early that morning and didn`t -- you know, they wouldn`t tell me anything. And I wasn`t -- I knew what they were searching -- you know, I knew they were looking for something participating (SIC) to Haleigh, but I didn`t really know what.

HOLLARS: I was the one that called you and told you that.

SYKES: Yes, she did. Ms. Hollars called me and told me -- she certainly did -- that she had called down here and told them what Tommy had told her. And Teresa and I went and -- over to that area and walked around all afternoon and looked in the woods over there. But of course, we didn`t find anything.

GRACE: Everyone, we are going to break...

SYKES: And then the next morning...
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1004/22/ng.01.html

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #483 on: May 08, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »

Haleigh Cummings – One Version Of What Happened

Posted on May 8th, 2010
by Simon Barrett in crime

I went out on a limb recently, I published my theory recently. It was not pure invention on my behalf, it was actually the combination of a fascinating conference call with a number of people that have followed this case closely. Some of those people who were on the ground in Satsuma soon after Haleigh Cummings disappeared.

While I am not willing to talk about the entire panel, I will admit that investigator Peter Hyatt was involved. Our mission in this call was to share information, we all had something to bring to the table. Much of that information has been shared with the various members, but this was the first time that we all got together as a group.

For quite some time several of us have began to suspect that Ronald Cummings has a bigger role in what happened to Haleigh Cummings than he has told authorities. My own version places him as an after the fact accomplice, but I also see some opportunity for him to be actively involved.

Peter Hyatt has produced his own analysis, and if you have not read it, you should. It is an interesting article. You can read it here.

There is little doubt that this article will be a subject of discussion on the radio program tomorrow. Tune in at 3pm central to listen in to the discussion.

Simon Barrett

http://www.bloggernews.net/124497

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #484 on: May 08, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »

Statement Analysis

Statement Analysis of famous cases including Casey Anthony, Misty Croslin, OJ, Michael Jackson, Tiger Woods, and others. All parties are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. All opinions expressed here are personal opinions and represent only the author of these opinions and not any business, government agency, or individual person other than the author. h

Saturday, May 08, 2010
Ronald Cummings to Be Arrested
http://seamusoriley.blogspot.com/2010/05/ronald-cummings-involvement.html

Heart
Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #485 on: May 08, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »

Supervised Population Information Detail

DC Number:  558096
Name:  SAPP, DONALD LEE
Race:  WHITE
Sex:  MALE
Hair Color:  BROWN
Eye Color:  HAZEL
Height:  5'09''
Weight:  135 lbs.
Birth Date:  10/21/1970
Supervision Begin Date:  04/29/2010
Current Location: DAYTONA BEACH
Current Status:  ACTIVE
Supervision Type:  PROBATION FELONY
Scheduled Termination Date:  08/09/2014

Current Verified PERMANENT Address: 
111 CUMBO RD.
HOLLISTER, FL 32147

Aliases:
DONALD SAPP  DONALD LEE SAPP 

Note: The offense descriptions are truncated and do not necessarily reflect the crime for which the offender is on supervision. Please refer to the court documents or the Florida Statutes for further information or definition.

Current Community Supervision History:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Community Supervision Length
08/10/2006 FELONY BATTERY 04/29/2010 PUTNAM 0901460 4Y 3M 12D 

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=15&From=list&SessionID=824655124

Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #486 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11:26 PM »

Love2Read
Scared Monkey

« Reply #487 on: May 08, 2010, 11:22:12 PM »

Posted on May 8th, 2010

I went out on a limb recently, I published my theory recently. It was not pure invention on my behalf, it was actually the combination of a fascinating conference call with a number of people that have followed this case closely. Some of those people who were on the ground in Satsuma soon after Haleigh Cummings disappeared.

While I am not willing to talk about the entire panel, I will admit that investigator Peter Hyatt was involved. Our mission in this call was to share information, we all had something to bring to the table. Much of that information has been shared with the various members, but this was the first time that we all got together as a group.

For quite some time several of us have began to suspect that Ronald Cummings has a bigger role in what happened to Haleigh Cummings than he has told authorities. My own version places him as an after the fact accomplice, but I also see some opportunity for him to be actively involved.

Peter Hyatt has produced his own analysis, and if you have not read it, you should. It is an interesting article. You can read it here.

There is little doubt that this article will be a subject of discussion on the radio program tomorrow. Tune in at 3pm central to listen in to the discussion.

Simon Barrett

OMG, I read what Hyatt wrote and if this ends up that Ron had nothing to do with the disapearance of his daughter, Hyatt owes Ron a public apology. 
And since when just because someone talks about laundry and handwashing that it is sexual??  Give me a break.

May Zahra's Spirit shine forever.

Justice for Zahra.
Love2Read
Scared Monkey

« Reply #488 on: May 08, 2010, 11:26:25 PM »

He is also a RSO and lived within 300 ft of Haleigh when she went missing.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=6441

Justice for Zahra.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #489 on: May 08, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »

Darn it - now I have to go back and watch the Granny smack down tape again.  Thanks Rob.  Not that I think I will learn anything new but what the hay.  GGMS and TN's protection is for RON not Misty.  And if it's not Ron it's theirselves.  JMO.

I'm thinking, too, that this deserves more attention.  I think Ron is involved and GGMS and TN's "being around" at all the "crucial times" tells us something.  They're there because of Ron.
Ron IMO is involved and that's the ONLY REASON Misty would keep quiet this long.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #490 on: May 08, 2010, 11:28:11 PM »

08/19/2009 UTTER FORGED INSTRUMENT 01/14/2010 PUTNAM 0901736 1Y 6M 0D 
08/19/2009 FORGERY/UTTERING 01/14/2010 PUTNAM 0901736 1Y 6M 0D 
12/19/2009 PETIT-THEFT-MISD 04/27/2010 PUTNAM 0902529 1Y 0M 0D 
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=2&From=list&SessionID=824655793
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #491 on: May 08, 2010, 11:32:50 PM »

Posted on May 8th, 2010

Simon Barrett

OMG, I read what Hyatt wrote and if this ends up that Ron had nothing to do with the disapearance of his daughter, Hyatt owes Ron a public apology. 
And since when just because someone talks about laundry and handwashing that it is sexual??  Give me a break.

aaahhh someone else who thinks some of these sciences are a wee bit hinky.  I'm not so sure about his particular type of science to be honest with you and as we've seen in the past and know to date this case has brought alot of characters looking at the money train.  I was listening earlier to Levi Page and Pat Brown w/Flora Hollars interview and darned if Pat Brown isn't promoting a book.  Never heard of this woman before this case but I do know rumor wise that she is apparently in a peeing contest with Steve Brown (Claimed he solved the case wks ago and fell off the face of the earth since)...lol.  The gravy train of these cases brings many.  What to believe...Who to believe.  LDT are still not allowed in courts and we see time and time again where real serial killers/killers pass them.  Makes you wonder.  JMO
Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #492 on: May 08, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »

04/17/2009 CONTR.SUBST.-2ND VIOL. 04/27/2010 PUTNAM 0902296 1Y 6M 0D 

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=824655793

fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #493 on: May 08, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »

Wow those look like some really old pictures JG.  Lisa cheeks are puffy.  Probably the healthiest I've seen her. 

Donald Sapp makes my skin crawl.  He's just plain creepy and I've always wondered about him.

Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #494 on: May 08, 2010, 11:50:25 PM »

Current Verified PERMANENT Address: 
3375 E SILVER SPRING BLVD
DARRELL S UPSTA
OCALA, FL 34470

05/25/2009 GRAND THEFT,300 L/5,000 10/13/2009 PUTNAM 0900920 2Y 0M 0D 
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=24&From=list&SessionID=824655793

Love2Read
Scared Monkey

« Reply #495 on: May 09, 2010, 12:01:09 AM »

Does anyone here know of anyone in Putnam that is not on drugs?

Justice for Zahra.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #496 on: May 09, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »

Misty has been covering for someone. Now that she has thrown her brother and cousin Joe under the bus, I can assume it wasn't either one of them she was covering for. Hank and Lisa were at the and Hank has a broken leg, else it might be them. So, who does she love more than herself ? Ron. Her other Gramdma was in Nashville, can't blame her. If it was any of her drug buddies, she would have tossed them under the bus months ago.   
Whatever happened, scenario wise, drugs in house Haleigh ingested them, someone smacked Haleigh, etc. it comes back to Ron.
TN was asked about Misty's delay in making thee 911 call and before we saw the inside of the triailer, she spoke from the script of Misty looking in closets and under the beds. Except there was no under the beds. She is in on the cover up for Ron.
Looking in the woods for what ? A blanket ? I think there is a blanket missing and they know it.

Yes I agree with you on Ron .... He knew from the beginning...

It goes back to the beginning.  The dogs had the scent to the river.  IMO.. ...  I think someone at Shell Harbor location has access to a small fishing or jon boat.  I have not looked at the map of the river.  But I would think someone has a boat that pulled up on shore by Ron's house.  picked up the body (prob got into drugs or they used too much of whatever to get the kids to sleep, and Haleigh had a reaction)  then drove down the river to Shell Harbor and disposed of the body along the way.  They forgot to dispose of some incriminating evidence and that's when they tossed it out near Shell Harbor boat ramp when taking boat out of water. 

Or returning the  stolen or borrowed boat to the location near Shell Harbor. 

I'm thinking that it goes back to Ron and before he went to work.  Something happened before he went to work.  The deception began then, too.  He went to work so that he would have an alibi.  I'm thinking he backhanded Haleigh and it hurt her more than expected.  Ron would be afraid that Haleigh and Jr. would get taken from him...therefore he had to hide it...however, Haleigh died.

Maybe she fell and hit her head, or if she was backslapped really hard, maybe her brain was injured. 

But...in the end...I think Ron did something to Haleigh and caused the tragic ending...and the Grandmother's have knowledge.

Put them ALL under the jail!!!!

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #497 on: May 09, 2010, 12:03:56 AM »

Misty has been covering for someone. Now that she has thrown her brother and cousin Joe under the bus, I can assume it wasn't either one of them she was covering for. Hank and Lisa were at the and Hank has a broken leg, else it might be them. So, who does she love more than herself ? Ron. Her other Gramdma was in Nashville, can't blame her. If it was any of her drug buddies, she would have tossed them under the bus months ago.   
Whatever happened, scenario wise, drugs in house Haleigh ingested them, someone smacked Haleigh, etc. it comes back to Ron.
TN was asked about Misty's delay in making thee 911 call and before we saw the inside of the triailer, she spoke from the script of Misty looking in closets and under the beds. Except there was no under the beds. She is in on the cover up for Ron.
Looking in the woods for what ? A blanket ? I think there is a blanket missing and they know it.

Yes I agree with you on Ron .... He knew from the beginning...

It goes back to the beginning.  The dogs had the scent to the river.  IMO.. ...  I think someone at Shell Harbor location has access to a small fishing or jon boat.  I have not looked at the map of the river.  But I would think someone has a boat that pulled up on shore by Ron's house.  picked up the body (prob got into drugs or they used too much of whatever to get the kids to sleep, and Haleigh had a reaction)  then drove down the river to Shell Harbor and disposed of the body along the way.  They forgot to dispose of some incriminating evidence and that's when they tossed it out near Shell Harbor boat ramp when taking boat out of water. 

Or returning the  stolen or borrowed boat to the location near Shell Harbor. 

Yep!  Very possible scenario.

Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #498 on: May 09, 2010, 12:11:28 AM »

I need more coffee!!  typo!!!!  infested not invested.  and not only once, twice!   

heck skip the coffee, gotta be 5 o'clock somewhere....    

Yep,  it's always 5 o'clock somewhere!  Enjoy and toast to all monkeys that there be an arrest soon!

I am not sure who makes up the new avi's.  So, I will just leave this open to them.  Whoever you are please can you make up some .... our players being dragged to jail.  We need a good LE Monkey ... and the players that could possibly be involved in this being dragged. 

If you are talking about the monkey emoticons, I made these a long time ago, if you want to use them, feel free to.

The last one reminds me of quite a few people!

Yep! Cute!  Behind bars, talking their heads off and...yet...saying nothing!

Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #499 on: May 09, 2010, 12:32:22 AM »

Jailhouse visit increasingly used in court cases
Shoar raises question: Does it serve justice?

Posted: May 9, 2010 - 12:03am

By Dana Treen

NO PHOTO ATTACHED-Caption 1- Video frame grab from one of the many recorded jailhouse conversations between Misty Croslin and her mother Lisa Croslin turned over from the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office. By KELLY JORDAN, Morris News Service

At her sentencing hearing last month on drug-trafficking charges, 19-year-old Hope Sykes was heard in a recorded declaration saying prosecutors "can kiss my -  -  -" over a possible six-year sentence as a youthful offender.

The judge who instead sent Sykes to prison for 15 years never mentioned the comment, but the intent of the prosecutors who played the recording was clear.

"They thought it was ammunition against her remorse," Bill Bookhammer, the chief assistant public defender in Putnam County, said of the prosecution.

Using defendants' words against them is not a new tactic in courtrooms.

Increasingly, however, jailhouse phone calls, images from inmate visits with family and recordings in police operations are aired in public where they can steer opinion.

Sykes' arrest pulled her into the high-profile investigation of HaLeigh Cummings, the 5-year-old who disappeared in February 2009 and remains missing. Sykes' cousin, Ronald Cummings, is HaLeigh's father and was arrested in the same undercover drug operation.

The arrest with Cummings and others in the trafficking case swept Sykes up in a saga that has inundated the public with images and recordings as interest in the cases escalated.

Negative pretrial publicity has been shown to have an impact on jury perceptions in trials, said Lora Levett, an assistant psychology of law professor at the University of Florida.

"It has a potential to have an impact on jurors' decisions," she said.

'Sports Center' for justice system

Former State Attorney Rod Smith, whose office in Gainesville drew national attention as it prepared the prosecution of Danny Rolling following the grisly 1990 slaying of five University of Florida students, said defense attorneys begin to position themselves early and prosecutors are under pressure to get their side of the story out.

"I think both sides try cases more in the public arena than they ever would have 10 or 20 years ago," he said.

Part of the strategy may be to get the trial venue changed, get judges to recuse themselves or influence the jury pool, Smith said.

The thirst for details has increased dramatically, driving how cases are covered, even as the number of outlets reporting on cases has also grown, he said.

"There are now shows that focus on information, paid-for information, that goes to the guilt or innocence [of the accused person]," he said.

Coverage of such cases has reached entertainment levels, he said.

"I think it is Sports Center for the criminal justice system," he said.

The undercover drug operation that caught Sykes and Cummings in January was separate from the investigation of HaLeigh's case but drew attention because others arrested were Misty Croslin, who was home with HaLeigh the night of the disappearance and called 911, her brother Hank "Tommy" Croslin Jr. and her friend Donna Brock.

Images taken in undercover cars, of visits between family and those arrested have been widely broadcast since then.

"I find it hard to believe that opinions have not been formed by an overwhelming majority of the people in Putnam County," Smith said.

Had it not been for HaLeigh's disappearance, "few people had interest in another drug-trafficking case in rural Florida," he said.

"There are some real dangers of injustice if we do not get a handle on this," he said.

Some, including St. Johns County Sheriff David Shoar, argue that phone calls and visits between inmates and family members are private even though inmates know their calls are recorded.

He noted that many people held in county jails have been accused of a crime but not been found guilty.

"It's kind of a fine line between privacy and the public's right to know," he said.

Corrections officers should sift calls for evidence or to prevent crimes, but Shoar said public access to those calls steps over the line.

He said it is not an all-or-none question.

"Right now there is probably not a solution," he said.

Hank Croslin Sr., father of Misty and Tommy, said people frequently recognize him and his wife on the street. Both are shown in jail visitation recordings talking with their children.

"I don't see how they can get a fair trial here," he said. "If they had a jury trial, I know she wouldn't get a fair trial."

Judgment call

Under Florida public records law, information gathered by police is broadly available if the agency or prosecutors do not believe it is pertinent to an investigation, which is redacted by the agency.

Bookhammer, the public defender, said inmates do not have an expectation of privacy in phone calls and visits.

Croslin Sr. said his son will no longer discuss his case in calls home and his daughter also says less.

Maj. Gary Bowling of the Putnam County Sheriff's Office, which is investigating the HaLeigh case and also made the trafficking arrests, said the agency is releasing information only under public information requests.

He said the impact on the public is not something that is considered and "I think it's difficult to quantify."

Former Florida Bar president Hank Coxe of Jacksonville said he sees the higher interest in cases but that does not change the broader picture.

Judges still have the ability to protect information, he said.

Prosecutors are still not permitted to release information that would be prejudicial in a case, he said, adding that even non-pertinent information will find an audience.

Any information released in a case can have "sex appeal to a certain portion of the public," he said.

Coxe, who routinely handles high-profile cases, is representing one of two defendants in an extortion case involving Quinn Hanna Gray, a Ponte Vedra Beach woman accused in a plot to extort $50,000 from her husband. He represents Gray's co-defendant, Jasmin Osmanovic, who has entered a guilty plea and will be sentenced in August.

Coxe declined to discuss the case, which also included hours of recordings, mostly of interviews by investigators with Gray, Osmanovic and others closely connected.

Generally, the judicial system has to be more creative to ensure that the judicial process is protected.

Improperly handled, a defendant's rights could be unfairly harmed.

"It certainly has that potential," he said.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-05-09/jailhouse-visit-increasingly-used-court-cases

Heart
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.