May 28, 2024, 01:03:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #10 1/23 - 6/12/2008  (Read 243204 times)
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »

Click on play 

<a href="http://llnw.jibjab.com/content/player.swf?content_url=http://www.jibjab.com/sendables/api/remote/LY1C5FPXqaOgCqi9IbaxWNre.xml" target="_blank">http://llnw.jibjab.com/content/player.swf?content_url=http://www.jibjab.com/sendables/api/remote/LY1C5FPXqaOgCqi9IbaxWNre.xml</a>

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2008, 06:56:19 AM »

Historical society moves Larry the Cable Guy's barn in Pawnee City
By ALGIS J. LAUKAITIS / Lincoln Journal Star
Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 - 06:41:05 pm CDT
PAWNEE CITY — Larry the Cable Guy couldn’t make it Thursday when the Pawnee City Historical Society moved his family’s barn to a new home.

But the comedian’s famous phrase was evident as Ensor Movers Inc. of Johnson ushered the faded red barn up a hill and down a milelong road to the society’s museum grounds on the east edge of Pawnee City.

In fact, hand-painted “Git-R-Done” signs adorned the front and back of the barn, hung there by society President Roy Mullin of rural DuBois.

A Nebraska Public Power District crew moved power lines to make way for the barn, which took up most of the road. Time Warner Cable guys helped out, too.

Ensor employees trimmed brush and tree limbs with a chainsaw to make room for the 25-ton barn with an attached lean-to shed.

“Only in Pawnee City would you see something like that,” said John DeFreece, area manager for NPPD, as he watched the barn lumber down the street.

As the barn inched closer to the museum grounds, the crowd grew larger. People snapped digital photos, watched out for a stray dog that kept wandering into traffic and talked about Larry the Cable Guy, whose real name is Dan Whitney, and his family.

“Dan can remember when his dad reroofed it,” said Mullin, who used to mow the grass around the barn when he was a teenager.

“Deb (Dan’s sister) was a good friend of mine,” Mullin said. “Danny was six years younger. He was just a punk kid running around.”

That punk kid grew up to be a famous stand-up comic, recording artist, movie star and multi-millionaire. Born in Pawnee City in 1963, he lived in a house near the barn at 14th and I streets. His family moved to Florida in the 1970s when Whitney was about 13.

On Thursday, traffic had to be stopped as the Ensor crew drove the barn slowly across the highway.

“That is something isn’t it — how they can maneuver something like that around. Amazing,” said Willard Sommerhalder, a museum volunteer from Steinauer.

He and other volunteers will help restore the barn as a living history museum, where children can watch horses and dairy cows eat from mangers and inspect antique farm machinery.

“We’re definitely going to need donations for the roof. We need new shingles on it,” said Yvonne Dalluge, supervisor and treasurer of the historical society.

The exact age of the barn is not known. Mullin believes that since there are no square nails in the wood, it was built sometime after 1890. Although structurally sound, the barn needs the new shingles, lots of siding boards and paint.

Dalluge and other museum members have been working on the barn-moving project for almost two years. They were aware of the barn (the house is no longer there) and its connection to Larry the Cable Guy.

“We knew he was a very famous and popular comedian now,” Dalluge said. “And we thought, we should be saving a barn at the museum site. We have everything else, but not a barn.”

Emmett Gyhra, who farms the land, donated the barn to the historical society. Dalluge said they had planned to move it last summer but Darrell Ensor, the owner of Ensor Movers, died in a plane crash while flying his new plane to Falls City on July 4 for an inspection.

“We didn’t know what was going to happen to the project,” Dalluge said.

Ensor’s employees decided to fulfill his promise to move the barn.

“We try to help out the historical society and help out when we can,” said Ryan Baltensperger, a co-owner of Ensor and self-described surrogate son. “We’re finishing up the job.”

Dalluge said Ensor charged for fuel and labor only, and volunteers already had put in a lot of work. Mullin, for instance, hauled in 28 loads of dirt to level off the land where the barn will sit. Other people have offered to donate siding.

“It will be a project,” Mullin said. “It’s been a project so far.”

Historical society members hope to have the barn restored and painted red with white trim by the end of September, when they will celebrate the group’s 40th anniversary.

“I know Larry the Cable Guy would have enjoyed this,” Dalluge said. “He would have been entertained if he’d had come.”

Reach Algis J. Laukaitis at (402) 473-7243 or alaukaitis@journalstar.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2002-2008 Lincoln Journal Star. All rights reserved.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/03/14/news/nebraska/doc47d9bb4850593800770235.txt

I always read the home town paper..never know what you'll see.  Today, I spotted this article.  I can't figure out how to copy the picture because I'm lame but it's a great shot of an old, old barn being moved.  Now there's something you don't see everyday!  What fun!  They're moving this barn into town to turn it into a museum about farming! 

Well, it made me homesick.  You just don't see a big ole barn coming down the road here.  Can you imagine cresting the hill and seeing a huge barn coming?  I can almost smell the runzas from here.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2008, 08:25:41 AM »

The house in this photo is in the town where I live. It's on the side of a mountain, and as you go up or down the mountain you have to go around a sharp curve. Almost every time there is fog up there, a tourist will wreck their car on the curve cause they think they've come across a flying saucer that's landed. 

http://www.foxnews.com/

I Stand With The Girl
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »

Thanks CBB!  I love my new Easter Avatar!  It's absolutely awesome!   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Tater
Monkey Junky

« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »

The house in this photo is in the town where I live. It's on the side of a mountain, and as you go up or down the mountain you have to go around a sharp curve. Almost every time there is fog up there, a tourist will wreck their car on the curve cause they think they've come across a flying saucer that's landed. 

My town too...:)I wonder who is going to gain ownership of it.It saddened me to hear it's up for sale..At least it can't be moved,hopefully.I always look for it when going up the mountain...It was even on Foxnews front page this morning...

Proverbs 3:5
  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
         and lean not unto thine own understanding.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2008, 08:18:51 PM »

Thanks CBB!  I love my new Easter Avatar!  It's absolutely awesome!   

You're most welcomed, texasmom! Glad you like it. 

That house is bizarre!
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »

My town too...:)I wonder who is going to gain ownership of it.It saddened me to hear it's up for sale..At least it can't be moved,hopefully.I always look for it when going up the mountain...It was even on Foxnews front page this morning...

Tot! You live in the Chattanooga area too? 

I live in the Harrison Bay area - how about you?

I Stand With The Girl
Tater
Monkey Junky

« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

Zoned for Soddy Daisy but closer to Sale Creek...Moved out of the city 10 years ago to be close to the water...It's good to have such a close neighbor....

BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »

Zoned for Soddy Daisy but closer to Sale Creek...Moved out of the city 10 years ago to be close to the water...It's good to have such a close neighbor....

You know what this means, don't you? We'll have to do lunch! You'll be the tenth monkey I've had lunch with. Please email me sometime - sockmonkey_mom@yahoo.com

I Stand With The Girl
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2008, 12:03:36 AM »

Are our Georgia member OK?  Please check in when you can!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338078,00.html

Storm Tears Holes in Georgia Dome, Injuring Several and Halting SEC Tourney
Friday , March 14, 2008

ATLANTA —

A severe storm ripped through downtown Atlanta on Friday night, injuring several people and damaging skyscrapers, hotels and two major sports arenas that were filled with thousands of pro and college basketball fans.

National Weather Service officials were unsure if a tornado had touched down, but wind was clocked at up to 60 mph as the storm moved through the city.

On its Web site, CNN said its headquarters sustained ceiling damage, allowing water to pour into the atrium, as well as shattered windows in the CNN.com newsroom and the company's library.

A firefighter outside the skyscraper said three people in the vicinity had been transported to hospitals, including a child with head injuries. He said none of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening.

Atlanta Police spokesman Ronald Campbell said authorities had blocked off roads around the CNN Center, where heavy debris filled the streets. A chair from the skyscraper's lobby sat in the middle of the street, flanked by cars crushed by debris from the building.

Most of the damage was concentrated in downtown Atlanta, Campbell said.

At the Georgia Dome, where Mississippi State was playing the University of Alabama in a Southeastern Conference Tournament basketball game, catwalks swayed and insulation fell from the roof, sending fans fleeing toward the exits and the teams to their locker rooms.

The game resumed after a delay of about an hour.

"I thought it was a tornado or a terrorist attack," said Mississippi State guard Ben Hansbrough, who was guarding Alabama's Mykal Riley when a rumbling noise was heard from above.

Both teams stopped and looked toward the Teflon-coated Fiberglas fabric roof, which is designed to flex slightly during high wind, but was rippling heavily in the storm, much like waves rolling toward the shore.

Those who remained at their seats looked anxiously toward the roof. The game was stopped with Mississippi State leading 64-61 with 2:11 left in overtime.

Several fans and at least one reporter on press row said metal bolts and washers fell from the ceiling, though there were no immediate reports of injuries. A pipe ripped a hole in the roof.

There was also damage at nearby Philips Arena, where the NBA's Atlanta Hawks were playing the Los Angeles Clippers

Georgia Power Co. spokeswoman Consuela Monroe said about 10,000 customers had lost power in the Atlanta area.

Terrance Evans, 23, a valet at the Omni Hotel, which adjoins Philips arena, said he was standing outside and was about to park a car and took cover when the storm hit.

"It was crazy," Evans said. "There was a lot of windows breaking and stuff falling. You would hear a big boom."

Karone Edge, 23, was working out with two friends in a weight room at the Westin Hotel when he saw debris fly by the window. After watching the glass shatter in front of him, he said everyone began to run, and he fell, scraping his leg.

"I thought the building was falling like a terrorist attack," said Edge, who was walking around with a bloodied sock.

In the East Atlanta neighborhood, downed trees, debris and power lines were strewn in the street, which was eerily quiet in the wake of the pounding hail, sheets of rain, flashes of lightning and growling thunder.

Melody and Brad Sorrells were at home with their two children when the storm hit. The family was in their living room when Melody Sorrells said she heard the huge pine in their front yard crash into their house.

"I saw it falling and we ran into the back bedrooms in the closet," she said, while turning to look at the massive trunk blocking the front door. "I feel sick."

The family escaped out of the back of the house. Brad Sorrells said the winds sounded like a roaring train.

"It was a tornado," he said, with arms folded.

vms
Monkey Junky

« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2008, 12:21:21 AM »

I am Klaas. I didn't even know anything about it until I read it here. We were watching movies. 

Local news coverage has preempted regular programming. Interstates into the city of Atlanta are closed. It appears the tornado caused extensive damage to the downtown area, from the news videos. Nine injuries reported so far, none of those are serious.

"A horse! a horse! My kingdom for a horse!"
Tater
Monkey Junky

« Reply #371 on: March 15, 2008, 07:26:16 AM »

You know what this means, don't you? We'll have to do lunch! You'll be the tenth monkey I've had lunch with. Please email me sometime - sockmonkey_mom@yahoo.com

Got you filed in my email addy and will send a note soon.Lunch would be grand sometime...

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »

Well this ATLmonkey is in Greenville SC.  DH has a barbershop convention so here I am.  DD brought her lappy so since I'm paying, I'm here!

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #373 on: March 15, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »

I'm worried about MSMARPLE.  She hasn't posted since March 2nd.  I've emailed but haven't heard anything.   
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »

Does anyone have a phone number for MsMarple?  We need to check on her. 
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »

This Atlanta area monkey is ok. Storms are closer than I like but all ok here. I know someone who can get in touch with MsMarple. Will let ya know when I hear something.
Stay safe Alabama & Ga Monkeys & all others who may get in the path of these storms.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #376 on: March 15, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »

This Atlanta area monkey is ok. Storms are closer than I like but all ok here. I know someone who can get in touch with MsMarple. Will let ya know when I hear something.
Stay safe Alabama & Ga Monkeys & all others who may get in the path of these storms.

Glad everyone is safe over there. Thanks Yapp for trying to help us locate MsMarple.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #377 on: March 15, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »

Thank you, MuffyBee, for posting that article. I thought everyone had forgotten the Manson murders. I remember almost all of what you wrote.

I'm still haunted by the Charles Manson murders. I was about 20 years old. It was the first criminal case that caught my interest, and it was a horrible case but I was fascinated by it. I should have been a CSI if that career would have been available at that time.

I know Manson has come up to the parole board and has been rejected every time. I guess that it is because the murders were so brutal.

Thanks again for posting a fascinating article.

With Love,
Louise

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #378 on: March 15, 2008, 11:21:42 PM »

I remember the Manson Case very well.  Charlie will never be paroled not because of the horrific murders that took place but because he has no remorse.  I have watched his various interviews over the years and he is a scary person.  He really believes the nonsense he spouts.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
crazybabyborg
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2008, 01:54:02 AM »

I remember the Manson Case very well.  Charlie will never be paroled not because of the horrific murders that took place but because he has no remorse.  I have watched his various interviews over the years and he is a scary person.  He really believes the nonsense he spouts.

Many years ago, I picked up a copy of "Helter Skelter" and started reading it. Honestly, I couldn't get through the entire thing. It freaked me out! He as much as told the parole board when he was orignally released, before the murders, that he didn't want out of jail. Even HE knows he cannot function on the outside, and I say, LISTEN to him and let him die in jail.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.